What is your gym pet peeve?

Options
167891012»

Replies

• Therealobi1
    Therealobi1 Posts: 3,261 Member
    Options
    I am not in the gym long enough to have pet peeves. Do my classes then straight out. Instructors are friendly and make me work harder when slacking. All good.

Maybe I might have some when I finally get to the gym floor
  • Marcel_Project
    Marcel_Project Posts: 5 Member
    edited August 2016
    Options
    sfcrocker wrote: »
    My main one is people who sit on the weight machines for 10+ minutes playing on their phones when other people are waiting to use them.

more if they keep a machine occupied wile using an other one.
  • davidcliff
    davidcliff Posts: 144 Member
    Options
    People that don't re-rack their weights. C'mon that last set didn't take every last ounce of strength. Also anyone that feels the need to load up on the icy hot. There's a guy that works out occasionally and he lays it on so thick that my eyes water.
  • bagge72
    bagge72 Posts: 1,377 Member
    Options
    peleroja wrote: »
    When there are twenty empty treadmills but someone needs to use the one right next to the one I'm on.

At my gym, they look out onto the street and are all identical with personal entertainment screens, so I cannot fathom a reason behind this other than a desire to annoy me. Maybe they want to compete so they want to see my screen? Maybe they're hoping to have a chat? Maybe they just really want to get whipped in the eye with my ponytail? I don't know.

Maybe the one next you is their favourite machine or the machine that he/she got their personal best time on. Just an idea.

They are all identical models, in one long line of about twenty facing the windows, and indistinguishable from one another in any way I can discern, so I have no idea why that would be the case unless it's a superstitious thing...and superstition is another of my pet peeves.

I've also been using them at least twice a week for the past year and never once noticed any kind of speed difference or anything between any of them, and they are all regularly recalibrated/maintained from what I've seen.

So I'm back to people being weird, I think.

All the treadmills at my gym are indentical as well, but there are definitely differences in how they work, but I think that has to do with my weight, I like to run, but I'm 260lbs, and some of these treadmills handle it a lot better than others so I always have my favorites I like to to use, and it's like that at all of the gyms I have ever been too.

• Carlos_421
    Carlos_421 Posts: 5,132 Member
    Options
    Hornsby wrote: »
    Yup, I have a recumbent bike I like as well. Do not care who is around.

If someone is on it, I will stand 3 feet in front of them and just stare at them picking my nose till they are disgusted and leave.

If they ignore me, the flicking starts...

You're the one?!?!
  • IILikeToMoveItMoveIt
    IILikeToMoveItMoveIt Posts: 1,172 Member
    Options
    People standing right in front of me while I'm checking form in the mirror... Not the ones that do it by accident or are grabbing some weights that are stored in front of the mirrors, but the ones that stand there and talk or are on the phone, or just.. stand.. there. Most people are cool when I say something, others just glare. Either way they move...
  • _incogNEATo_
    _incogNEATo_ Posts: 4,543 Member
    Options
    debrag12 wrote: »
    Packerjohn wrote: »
    ndj1979 wrote: »
    as someone who works at a gym, I can probably give a different perspective. If you don't restack/put away your weight, the gym staff have to do it for you, and they will hate you with a burning passion. Weight-droppers - all you're doing is damaging the floor, which means the prices of memberships have to go up, as we have to cover the price of replacing/fixing the floor. Same goes for people who bang weights in to walls/mirrors/etc. People who leave the treadmills on an inclination of about 10+ degrees. People who leave blue roll/tissues (especially sweaty dirty ones) all over the floor. That one person who is always "just finishing up" when you're trying to lock up and keeps going for an extra 15-20 minutes. Like, you know when we close, please just leave, we're hungry and tired. Lastly, those people who NEVER leave, they're there all day, from opening til closing. Damn, rant over, didn't realise I had so many pent up issues :')

wait, don't you get paid to do all these things?

Our cleaning lady, Pat, gets paid to clean our office buildings, but that doesn't mean I go around leaving trash all over the ground.

so gym staff should complain about having to re-rack weights and clean up the place where they work at? Back when I worked in restaurants I had to clean up all kinds of nasty stuff, I did it because I got paid to do it.

When you eat in a fast food place do you take your trash and put it in the garbage can or do you just leave it? Sure someone will come around and clean up after you, but it is customary in a place like that to throw your trash away, just like it is customary to put your weights back.

so then what is the job of a "gym attendant"?

Putting weights back after *kitten* leave them on barbells, the floor, etc would be one of the things. A janitor has to clean a bathroom, that doesn't make it okay for someone to drop a deuce on the floor.

So racking a weight is to gym employee as picking up feces on the floor is to custodian/janitor?

A point that can be made for both is this: As a janitor/custodian, part of agreeing to the job is that accidents will happen and they may come into contact with stank logs on the floor. As a gym employee, part of agreeing to the job is keeping a tidy gym even when members don't rack the weights.

And a point we can agree on is people that don't put the weights back are *kitten*?

I'll back you 100% on that. Even to the point that I'll rack somebody else's weight if they leave it. However, the only point I'm trying to make is that gym staff can expect to do it as well and really don't have a leg to stand on as far as complaining about it goes (IMO).

I complain about expects of my job all the time, am I not allowed to?

I think you meant "aspects" so I'll respond accordingly: Of course you're allowed to and I think I've already said that somewhere else in this thread. I complain about parts of my job as well (albeit not on a public internet forum). I also don't expect sympathy, though. Usually when I complain about my job to somebody, they point out all of the perks of my job as to demean my gripes.
  • stealthq
    stealthq Posts: 4,298 Member
    Options
    People who shove stuff in lockers then don't lock it to show it's engaged (take it they don't have coin, token or at present gym a padlock). Hate having to open about 10 lockers to actually find a free one.

Am I the only one whose immediate thought is to take that stuff and shove it in some random locker elsewhere? I'd be nice and not lock it and take the key. :naughty:
  • KDar1988
    KDar1988 Posts: 650 Member
    Options
    When there are twenty empty treadmills but someone needs to use the one right next to the one I'm on.

At my gym, they look out onto the street and are all identical with personal entertainment screens, so I cannot fathom a reason behind this other than a desire to annoy me. Maybe they want to compete so they want to see my screen? Maybe they're hoping to have a chat? Maybe they just really want to get whipped in the eye with my ponytail? I don't know.

Maybe the one next you is their favourite machine or the machine that he/she got their personal best time on. Just an idea.

I do have a favorite treadmill, and will choose it even if all the others are open and it's right next to the only other person on a treadmill. However, the one I like is the only one like it. All the others are a different brand/type.

I have a favorite too. I refer to it as 'my' elliptical. The others squeak and 1 makes this horrid noise that sounds like it's going to fall apart. If I can't use mine I find an arc trainer or recumbent bike to use.
  • nutmegoreo
    nutmegoreo Posts: 15,532 Member
    Options
    stealthq wrote: »
    People who shove stuff in lockers then don't lock it to show it's engaged (take it they don't have coin, token or at present gym a padlock). Hate having to open about 10 lockers to actually find a free one.

Am I the only one whose immediate thought is to take that stuff and shove it in some random locker elsewhere? I'd be nice and not lock it and take the key. :naughty:

Between this and the nose picking post, I've gotten some good ideas out of this thread!
  • Hornsby
    Hornsby Posts: 10,322 Member
    Options
    nutmegoreo wrote: »

Between this and the nose picking post, I've gotten some good ideas out of this thread!

It works.... Promise.
  • nutmegoreo
    nutmegoreo Posts: 15,532 Member
    Options

It works.... Promise.

It works on the bus and train, hadn't considered the gym...
  • Hornsby
    Hornsby Posts: 10,322 Member
    Options

It works.... Promise.

Lol - it can work basically anywhere.
  • Carlos_421
    Carlos_421 Posts: 5,132 Member
    Options

It works.... Promise.

Lol - it can work basically anywhere.

I just crop dust em.
  • sandrachis
    sandrachis Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    A guy in my cardio class demands the music be turned off and then groans really loud during the class.
  • mariameats
    mariameats Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    people who don't rerack their weights seriously piss me off and I wish fat rolls on them
  • smile_laughter
    smile_laughter Posts: 3,680 Member
    Options
    So, these posts have been some of the best entertainment to read. I have pet peeves but they've all been mentioned so I did not feel the need to post. Then, today at the gym, I was warming up in a very LARGE area and no one else was there. A guy chooses to do his warm up near me....not across the room. He proceeds to warm up his hips by moving them around in an unpleasant manner. I would normally get peeved because he was so close to me, but I started to giggle and couldn't stop. I kept thinking "I can post this pet peeve!" But, is this really a pet peeve if I can't stop laughing?

These set of posts have been highly entertaining......thx everyone.