Did you lose your Lover/Spouse/S.O AFTER you loss weight???

Options

Replies

• Nnsando
    Nnsando Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    Just thought I should come back and update my status. We are now getting divorced.
  • Pterod
    Pterod Posts: 131 Member
    Options
    Sorry Nnsando, me too.
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,372 Member
    Options
    I'm so sorry you two :(

I told my husband that I want to do couple counseling last night. I suppose it's a good step to take at this point, as I can't afford to move out. Just not sure it's really going to help when the feelings are gone.. but at least I can say that we tried.

What really sucks too is feeling like I don't really have anyone to talk to about it. I'm not sure I should bring it up with my guy friend, as he knows my husband too, and well, he's a guy, but he's the closest I have to a good friend. Moot point probably though as we only see each other when our kids/other people are around anyway.

Can't talk to my mom either as she loves my husband and will probably just blame and judge me. Not that I can blame her, I mean, he's a good guy.

Sometimes life just sucks.
  • STLBADGIRL
    STLBADGIRL Posts: 1,693 Member
    Options
    Nnsando wrote: »
    Just thought I should come back and update my status. We are now getting divorced.

I'm sorry things couldn't work out. Do you have friends and family that can support you during this time? I've been through a divorce and there is 'life after a divorce'.... May I ask, what was deciding factor that made you two want to consider this? And I completely understand if you do not want to answer.... I am sending you <major hugs>....
  • STLBADGIRL
    Options
    Francl27 wrote: »

I told my husband that I want to do couple counseling last night. I suppose it's a good step to take at this point, as I can't afford to move out. Just not sure it's really going to help when the feelings are gone.. but at least I can say that we tried.

What really sucks too is feeling like I don't really have anyone to talk to about it. I'm not sure I should bring it up with my guy friend, as he knows my husband too, and well, he's a guy, but he's the closest I have to a good friend. Moot point probably though as we only see each other when our kids/other people are around anyway.

Can't talk to my mom either as she loves my husband and will probably just blame and judge me. Not that I can blame her, I mean, he's a good guy.

A good therapist could really help if you two are open to it. We went to one therapist (before the good one) and we argued and argued and argued after we left. He accused us of ganging up on him....uggh. I think she couldn't believe the ridiculous stuff that was coming out of his mouth. The other therapist controlled the tempo and corrected us when we weren't playing by the rules and talked to us in a way that made us see what we were doing wrong and what we should correct....GOOD LUCK!!!!

Oh, that one friend might can help because he knows the both of you...if that talk could happen.
  • Nnsando
    Options
    Sorry Nnsando, me too.

Thank you.
  • wdunnett1
    wdunnett1 Posts: 1,669 Member
    Options
    I haven't personally had this happen but I have read quite a few stories about this being common. I think it can be a few reasons really, but one of the one I hear most often is that it is common for those who are overweight to "settle" for the best they feel they can get. Maybe they weren't actually in love in the first place, and just settled for the only thing they thought they could find. Now that they are thinner and have more options, they start getting curious about finding someone they actually connect with.

Another reason could be that the couple was really in love, but the one who lost weight now has a different lifestyle. Maybe before the weight loss they enjoyed eating bad foods and bonded over eating and not being active. Now that one part of the couple is living differently it could cause issues...

this
  • Nnsando
    Options

I agree life can just suck, but counseling is a good start if you both are willing to listen to the input.
  • Nnsando
    Options
    STLBADGIRL wrote: »

I'm sorry things couldn't work out. Do you have friends and family that can support you during this time? I've been through a divorce and there is 'life after a divorce'.... May I ask, what was deciding factor that made you two want to consider this? And I completely understand if you do not want to answer.... I am sending you <major hugs>....

I have a huge support group, I'm very grateful for that. Overall I'm happy I can start my life over. I found him having crazy affairs on me. I say crazy because there is some insane details to this. So he's a liar and a cheater. I know money will be tight but I know I will do everything I can to support my children. This is worth the struggle, and honestly my house seems more peaceful with him not here. It will work out.
  • STLBADGIRL
    Options

I have a huge support group, I'm very grateful for that. Overall I'm happy I can start my life over. I found him having crazy affairs on me. I say crazy because there is some insane details to this. So he's a liar and a cheater. I know money will be tight but I know I will do everything I can to support my children. This is worth the struggle, and honestly my house seems more peaceful with him not here. It will work out.
    Yes it will work out!!!! Sorry, but I am happy that you have had some peace at home...and you have a positive outlook on your future.....YOU CAN DO IT...

• Francl27
    Options

Oh wow you're way better off! Still sorry you had to go through that.
  • Nnsando
    Options
    Thank you ladies.
  • Francl27
    Options

A good therapist could really help if you two are open to it. We went to one therapist (before the good one) and we argued and argued and argued after we left. He accused us of ganging up on him....uggh. I think she couldn't believe the ridiculous stuff that was coming out of his mouth. The other therapist controlled the tempo and corrected us when we weren't playing by the rules and talked to us in a way that made us see what we were doing wrong and what we should correct....GOOD LUCK!!!!

Oh, that one friend might can help because he knows the both of you...if that talk could happen.

I actually got to! Happened to spend almost two hours with him today without kids for the first time ever.

Now I just need to find a good therapist...
  • STLBADGIRL
    Options

I actually got to! Happened to spend almost two hours with him today without kids for the first time ever.

This is awesome. Was he 'fair' in his listening and did he offer good advice?

How is the therapist hunting going?
  • STLBADGIRL
    Options
    Checking in guy. How is everyone coping!
  • Francl27
    Options

How is the therapist hunting going?

He mostly listened and wished me luck. I talked to his wife too... It helps to be able to talk about it, at least I'm not depressed about having no friend anymore.. love those guys.

Giving it a couple weeks to find a therapist, my mom is visiting soon and I don't need her judgement (she'll just blame me).
  • STLBADGIRL
    Options

Now I just need to find a good therapist...[/quote]

How is the therapist hunting going?[/quote]

He mostly listened and wished me luck. I talked to his wife too... It helps to be able to talk about it, at least I'm not depressed about having no friend anymore.. love those guys.

Giving it a couple weeks to find a therapist, my mom is visiting soon and I don't need her judgement (she'll just blame me).[/quote]

Checking on you. How are things going?
  • ArmyMedic2016
    ArmyMedic2016 Posts: 180 Member
    Options
    In a word Yes
  • Francl27
    Options

Checking on you. How are things going?

Same old. I've been spending more time with my friends, which does help - I suppose it's more stress on a marriage when you don't have friends and basically rely on your spouse for everything. But my best friend is a guy so I suppose it irks my husband a little too (even though he likes him)... and I suppose that it makes me sad too that I'm happier when I spend time with them than with my family.

But we managed to actually do something as a family last Saturday, so I guess that's some improvement. He's depressed too though, which really doesn't help... I'm just waiting for November to find a marriage counselor.
  • STLBADGIRL
    Options
    @Franci27 I'm hoping it all works out. Depression is a Bish. Maybe once he gets that under control that will be the difference maker!