Senior Golden Sneakers - July 2010

Options
weaklink109
weaklink109 Posts: 2,831 Member
Hello Everyone,

And special greetings to Marie-CALIECAT-our founder.

Hard to believe that June is over, and July is upon us. Here are the birthdays we have on file for the group. Looks like we have one in July:

Beth Feb 24, 1971
Doodlesll---March 12, 1940
Sandy---March 10, 1942
Barbiecat ---March 25, 1946
Birdie---March 30, 1948
Barbs----April 6, 1954
Elli---May 16, 1952
Jersey [ toby } May 18,1946
Phoebe---July 26
Sandie--Aug. 1st.
Irene (viliberty)--Sept 18
Jeffrey---Sept. 25, 1953
Jake---Oct., 10, 1945
Marie---Nov. 7, 1930
Gayla---Nov. 20, 1949

I am starting the thread this time as Sandie is not available tonight. Happy 4th Everyone!!

Barb

Replies

• barbiecat
    barbiecat Posts: 16,927 Member
    Options
    :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou: Barb, thanks for getting this started......July is going to be a great month...the weather in the northwest will finally look like summer.....you and I will get together later in the month.....my pumpkin seeds are sprouting...you recently lost another pound and will surely lose more as the summer goes on....life is good :bigsmile: :bigsmile: :bigsmile: :bigsmile:
  • Lafla
    Lafla Posts: 685 Member
    Options
    Hi everyone! It has been a busy couple of days. Yesterday Dave came downstairs and told me he thought he was having a stroke,his mouth was numb and had been for a couple of days (kept it to himself) and by last night his vision became blurred in his left eye, it was tearing and sore. I asked him to grimace and it involved only the right side of his face. I didn't want him to see that at that point I was getting worried. I asked if I should call the ambulance but he said no, I could drive him in. So Neil and I took him in to the city, in what was to become the worst thunderstorm of the decade, or more. It was a long wait in Emergency but they did a thorough screening, including CT scan, ECG and bloodwork. By the end of it all it was diagnosed as Bell's Palsy which, although annoying I am sure, it is much better than a stroke. About 11 pm I called Quinn and asked if he would come pick up Neil as I knew we had a long night ahead of us. He and Margaret, Gregg too, came and picked Neil up and brought him home. They stayed the night with him and watched the lightening. We got a huge amount of rain and many roads were flooded including our highway. Quinn told me I was not to drive home that he would come and get me when I wanted to come home. I told them to go to bed and I would call him if I needed him. The power was out here so they didn't get the news that there was a tornado warning for our community. I am very glad I didn't hear it!! At 5 am we were discharged from emergency and had to pick up some drugs. I drove home and only scared Dave slightly. My night vision is not great but the sun was already coming up. There were only a couple of flooded out places that we had to avoid. We are tired tonight and ready to go to bed!!

Marie -- I agree with Barb that light cream cheese and cucumber are a great combo. My favorite is peanut butter and cucumber. Sounds strange but very good. I also like cucumber, tomato, onion and lettuce with or without cream cheese. I like to use the cream cheese as then I don't miss the butter or margarine. Neil will eat a bowl full of cut up chunks of cucumber, one of his favorite treats. I use regular bread, bagel, thin bread or soft tortilla.

I didn't feel like I wanted to go in to the city for WW tonight but Dave reminded me that "grownups sometimes do things they don't really want to do". Glad I went, I lost .6 pounds. Not a lot but I will take it!

I will try to get to personals tomorrow. You are all very special. Take care. Gayla :heart:
  • CALIECAT
    CALIECAT Posts: 12,530 Member
    Options
    To get me on topics and will be back to chat.
  • CALIECAT
    Options
    OK I am all set for the month of July. thanks barbs's for filling in for Sandy. and thanks for the kind words. Thats what I like about this bunch. everyone is so nice and not a fuss among us in in over going on 2 years . we are still alive and kicking

Gayla what a scary nite you must have had. You will have to tell me more about Bells's palsy. this is the first I have heard of it.

Bsrbs yours and gayla cucumbers sandwiches sound do cool and yummy/ Will pick up some cucumbers tomorrow.

Yeah Neil I like those cucumbers too. I think that is my problem I like everything.

Alice called last nitght from Panama. They have been working pretty hard. But her and a couple of the girls are going out shopping over the weekend. I told her to find me a cute t-shirt. When she went to Alaska she brought me a pretty flower t-shirt. their state flower.

Have a wonderful day, Jeffrey, Barbiecat. barbs, Beth, Phoebe, Sandy. sandie, Jake, Irene, Gayla, Bridie. :heart: :heart:
    Marie

Gayla tell Dave to take it easy. and you too. You are lucky to have your 2 boys close by to help you.

Phoebe has a birthday this month. soon she will catch up with us. Happy Birthday my friend.
    :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou:
    IreneYou are still in my thoughts.

Got a load of chothes to put in dryerBetter get up and tend to it.
  • BirdieM
    BirdieM Posts: 791 Member
    Options
    Good morning and just checking in as it is a crazy weekend!:noway: All good though, not like your night Gayla....what a nightmare (hugs hugs).:love:
    I met my June goals:bigsmile: and for July I am going to stay focused on healthy eating and exercise, but not necessarily losing more weight. I just bought new clothes and the 10's are getting a little roomy, so I'd like to maintain and get some wear out of them for a least the summer. I am withing a couple of lbs of my goal so I am not in a big hurry to lose the last few lbs.:blushing:
    2 daughters moving this weekend as well as a cookout and Baby Shower! :noway: Yikes...busy...but all good things.:happy:

Thanks Barb for starting this thread and hugs to Marie our dear founder and everyone else!!!:heart:

So have a great month...and I'll try to check in once in a while. Jeffrey hope your wounds are healing!

BirdieM:heart:
  • CALIECAT
    Options
    Thought for today:happy: Today I will do my best to make a better tomorrow.
    Today I will be honest with myself by looking in the mirror and
    seeing what is really there and what needs to change.
    Today I will only think about today and not worry about tomorrow or next week.
    All I have to d:happy: o is get through today to make my tomorrow a better day.

Marie.
  • CALIECAT
    Options
    [Iimg]http://i149.photobucket.com/albums/s68/marieward/12830.gif[/img]
    here comes Daisy!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
  • CALIECAT
    Options
    12830.gif

Here comes Daisy
  • weaklink109
    Options
    Hi Everyone,

Couldn't believe how many posts were done already today. Everyone is in a gabby mood!!!!:bigsmile:

Gayla--So sorry to hear about your "adventure." The storm by itself would have been bad enough, but having to go and spend the night in the ER is more than enough. From what I could learn from my search, there is a good chance Dave will recover from this illness without any long term complications.:flowerforyou: I went online to Webmd and found a good overview of Bell's Palsy, which I will share:
    "What Is Bell's Palsy?
    Bell's palsy is a type of paralysis (or weakness) of the muscles in the face, thought to be due to inflammation of the seventh cranial nerve, also known as the facial nerve. While it can strike anyone, it seems to occur more frequently in individuals recovering from viral infections and people with diabetes. Bell's palsy affects only one side of the face at a time, and only rarely recurs in the same individual.

Bell's palsy tends to come on very suddenly. You may go to bed one night with no noticeable symptoms, only to peer in the mirror the next morning and notice that your face appears to be drooping. Some people notice pain behind their ear a day or two before they notice any weakness. Others comment that sounds seem abnormally and uncomfortably loud several days before the development of paralysis. Within a day or two, the paralysis usually reaches its peak. Most people start to recover within a couple of weeks and are completely recovered within three months. Some people who develop Bell's palsy have a longer recovery period or have some permanent symptoms of the condition."

Here is a link to the page, as there is lots more info:
    http://www.webmd.com/brain/understanding-bells-palsy-basics

Barbiecat, you were right. I am feeling much better today, especially since I have been eating within my calories, and although not well enough to exercise since Sunday, I am down TWO more pounds!!!:drinker: :drinker: If I can lose another 2.5, by next week, that would be another 10 down since the end of April, so I am moving along--just not as fast as I was at the beginning, but that is no surprise.:ohwell:

Birdie, Sounds like you are keeping busy, as usual.

Marie, Loved your "picture" of Daisy on the motorbike. I can just imagine Pepper doing the same thing!!:laugh:

Well, I have to go get my day started, now that I feel like I have a little energy today. Have a good one-all!!

Barb
  • TexasAngelBeth
    TexasAngelBeth Posts: 315 Member
    Options
    Hi Everyone,
    I hope everyone is doing well. I Have a bit of time since I have the day off today....I love 4 day weekends...I get so much done then!

Gayla - so sorry about Dave... Glad he wasn't having a stroke. My cousin has had that while pregnant with her son...she is almost fully recovered it has taken some time and she was very upset about a lot of it, however as she tells me it was an inconvience more than anything. I can not believe he kept it from you for so long that would be so annoying.

Marie- How are you doing? How is Texas?

Sandy - saw the pics of your "baby" too cute... how do you keep all the dog hair cleaned? I have a rabbit and he is tiny but he sheds like crazy.

Birdie - you are so busy you make me feel guilty for sitting about this morning.

More later hope you all have a wonderful 4th

Beth
  • CALIECAT
    Options
    Wonderful to hear from you. Enjoy your 4 day off. I thought you just had the 2 kids in Texas. Now I am seeing more names. so how many kids do you have and names please.

Kathy my youngest daughter and her husband is coming uo tomorrow to help Jerry cut down a pecan tree down. I will be cooking a brisket and will buy potatoes salad and cole slaw. And make a chocolate cake. a new recipe I found the other day.We will still have our big pecans trees. the one they will cut down has real small pecans and too hard to pick.

Hoping to hear from Gayla this morning for a report on Dave., I guess he is keeping her busy.

Jerry and I got to make a grocer run this morning. I have already got me s short walk in. I should find out next week if My insurance will pay for me a electric chair.
    :heart:
    Irene hoping you have a very nice day.

ell got to go and post my food dairy. At least get it started. :heart:
    Marie
  • weaklink109
    Options
    Marie-

Used to be if someone was going to be given the "electric chair" that was NOT a good thing!!:laugh: :laugh: Just like the term "cell" phone, doesn't mean nearly the same thing now as it might have way back when.

Hope you are all ready to have a Happy 4th:drinker: :drinker: :drinker: We had a little rain yesterday evening and this morning, but it is straightening out now and supposed to stay that way for the rest of the holiday. They are threatening us with 90+ temps on Wed and Thurs, but I will beleive it when it gets here.

Gayla, if you are too busy to post, we understand. Hope Dave is doing well.

Barb
  • BirdieM
    BirdieM Posts: 791 Member
    Options
    Have a great weekend everyone!!!!!:bigsmile:
    GOD BLESS AMERICA!!!!:heart:
    BirdieM:love:
  • barbiecat
    barbiecat Posts: 16,927 Member
    Options
    :flowerforyou: I got to line dance this morning and someone asked me where was my red white and blue.........I completely forgot to wear patriotic clothing for the class before the holiday
    no, I didn't rush home to change :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: but after class I changed into a red turtleneck and a shirt with flags and fireworks (yes, it's still cool enough here to wear a long sleeve shirt)

:flowerforyou: Barb, I'm glad you're feeling better

:flowerforyou: Gayla, I hope Dave is feeling better

:flowerforyou: Beth, you deserve this nice long weekend.

:flowerforyou: Marie, I'm so glad you'll have family to celebrate with this weekend.

:flowerforyou: Birdie, hugs to you, I know you'll enjoy the holiday weekend
    :heart: :heart: :heart: :heart: :heart: :drinker: :drinker: :drinker:
  • Lafla
    Lafla Posts: 685 Member
    Options
    Hi everyone. sorry I am so long in posting. Thanks to you all for your caring words. I did write something yesterday and then it didn't want to post it for some reason. Likely my computer, it has been a bit testy lately. Dave is doing ok, he feels like it is improving which is a good thing. No problems from the pills so that is good too. It seems every time I sit down I fall asleep. We had a quiet Canada Day yesterday. We took Margaret out for dinner. She had forgotten her cell phone at our house after spending the night and Quinn forgot his jacket. Later in the evening we watched the fireworks by looking out our window, the mosquitoes are just too fierce otherwise. There were a lot of brave folks sitting on the river bank enjoying the festivities.

Barb -- Thanks for posting the info. about Bell's Palsy. The Dr. said it can last a very long time but hopefully with medication it will shorten it.

Marie -- Fingers crossed that you get your chair! As you know, I really like Brisket -- I know you will have a wonderful family dinner. I am going to have to cook a brisket one of these days. I, too, have been thinking about Irene and hoping that all is going well. Hope to hear from her soon.

Barbie -- I bet you looked great in all your patriotic clothes!

Birdie -- Enjoy your busy weekend.

Beth -- Always glad to see a post from you. I hope you have a great weekend.

Jeffrey -- Enjoy your weekend as well. I hope your mil has settled down a bit.

We are having a quiet weekend. We have had so much rain that we have water sitting in our shed (where the lawn tractor is) and in places in the yard so Dave can't cut the grass. We are so fortunate not to have water in the basement this time as so many people do. The city is seeking disaster relief to help with the clean-up after the storm, so many businesses and homes damaged.
    Take care and keep smiling. Gayla :heart:
  • Sandydur
    Sandydur Posts: 9,043 Member
    Options
    Happy Saturday Everyone!!

Thank you Barb for starting the July topic board. :heart:

I just wanted to check in and although I did read all the posts I am just really tired to respond to everyone right now. :yawn:

Our dance Nationals was wonderful, we took a platinum medal in every dance and in the Final Showdown we took two of three first places. :bigsmile: Bryanna danced amazing and a good time was had by all. :love:

Talk to you soon.

Sandy
  • CALIECAT
    Options
    Good morning all.
    first off. what is Canaday in velebration of? Is it like our 4th of July Celebratin our independence.?

Glad to hear Dave doing fine. Wew have a much needed rain yesterday.. I planted me some fall tomatoes yesterday. I want to plantsome blacberries vines

They are surpose to cut a tree down tomorrrow. That will be a job for their are telephones lines, light lines and no telling what else have to watch out for.

Hello there Irene we missed you.

Marie
  • Sandydur
    Sandydur Posts: 9,043 Member
    Options
    12830.gif

Here comes Daisy

Marie this is just so cute!!!!!
  • TexasAngelBeth
    TexasAngelBeth Posts: 315 Member
    Options
    Hi All,
    Hope everyone has a great 4th of July weekend or Canada Day Weekend. I am doing a whole lot of nothing here and love it.

Gayla glad Dave is feeling better

Marie I only have 2 children but you probably see the notes from my cousins kids and my neice... I have a daughter whose name is Nichole Or Nik or Nikki and my son Cord
  • CALIECAT
    Options
    Hi Nikkie rhwew with you., is kikkie with you.Trying to get my brain in order. i really think that is impossible.I guess Cord ia ready to come back to texas to start hi college

How is your Mom and dad?:flowerforyou: :flowerforyou: For them

Me and old grandpa is dpiing pretty good here. My daughter Kathy came bye and brough me s bunch of veggie out of there garden Plan on making some fresh salsa out of the tomatos. We have the peppers in our garden.They live in East Texas and their soil is really good dor a garden.

How a Happy four th of JUly., eerybody.