Senior Golden Sneakers - July 2010

Options

Replies

• marlouise
    marlouise Posts: 286
    Options
    :love: Barbie, your dogs look beautiful, I have only seen one standard poodle, it was at a distance. I was standiing beside a person who knew of them, they told me what they were and that they are not a "just cute" dog either they have the stance of a german shepherd good watch dog, and friendly. Is this true? I :heart: :heart: :heart: :heart: love cats, I find them intelligent and challenging. Do you see and recognize a special personality in yours? I am a total animal nut. I was raised with a shepherd/wolf mix. His name was Robie, we shared beds, foods, toys and my playpen, until he grew to three times me. But mom could leave me anywhere and know if anything was a miss, Robie would be barking up a storm.:laugh: :laugh:

:flowerforyou: :flowerforyou: Sandy. Things are working well, keep strong, :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou:

:laugh: :laugh: Yes Marie, that would be a lot of sugar too, maybe switch to a no fat or low fat yogurt, to mix in your jello. I use it all the time and it is good. Get a fruit mix (not on the bottom), or just a vanilla flavored; until you do some experimenting with it you will find just the right mix. I also use yogurt with frozen friut mixes to add some variety to the usual dessert entre.:heart::heart:
  • isandi
    isandi Posts: 162 Member
    Options
    Hi everyone,
    Have been logging my food everyday but had not checked in on all of you for quite some time!

Welcome Marilyn and Buttons!

Sandi, so sorry to hear about your step son. Sounds like things are going better but it still sounds very serious! Will keep you all in my prayers.

Irene, I have been keeping an eye on you on my home page and decided I had better come in here and see what is going on with you! Glad you are feeling better and will keep you in my prayers.

Marie, sorry about the scooter but as someone said maybe it is for the best!

A special hello to all of you and to all the dogs and cats...this is one big family! Hope you are all having a wonderful summer and are enjoying all of the fruits and vegies from your gardens...flowers too!

It has been pretty hot here in Arizona but you really learn to deal with it...at least it is a dry heat and yes, it does make a difference!

Made it to the pool today and put in a good 30 minute workout. Have ordered an compact elliptical trainer and a pilate machine....Have I lost my mind? Yes, and I am sure it will not be the last time! LOL
  • CALIECAT
    CALIECAT Posts: 12,530 Member
    Options
    Good morning Sandi good hearing from you.

Sammy was missing yessterday for an hour. I thought JERRY WAS GOING TO COME UNGLUE he look for an hour for him. Faially heard a bark and Sammie ws under the porch of our next door neighbor. and could not get out. Much have follow a cat under there. Was he ever glad to get out and home.

Another hot day today.Summer has return.I am doing my walking in rhe house. And I did make The 2000 steps yesterday I took Sunday off.Seems like our rain is over with too, Now I am lookinf forward to fall.

Have a good day all.
    Marie
  • Sandydur
    Sandydur Posts: 9,113 Member
    Options
    Good Morning,

Phil is doing a little better but not out of the woods yet. They did remove his ventilator which made him happy so he can now bark orders at his wife. :( He still has some ammonia from his kidneys in his system so I am trying to give him the benefit of doubt but as of now he doesn't seem to have changed. He is more worried about what we told people and told his wife she has to be careful what she says. WHAT???? He doesn't get how close to death he was, when told he would have been dead the next day if they didn't bring him in to ER, he said I don't believe that at all. What part of dying doesn't scare him??

Sorry, I am still angry with him and I pray that he will get the help he needs because next time he won't make it.

Sandy
  • CALIECAT
    Options
    Thanks for the update Sandy. How old is Phil? I hope he realize how serious this is. Praying for you all.
    Marie:heart::heart: :heart: :heart:
  • marlouise
    Options
    :heart: :heart: :heart: Oh Sandy, what a turn for you!:brokenheart: Well you know what the options are and maybe someone else will make the right decision. May hopes and prayers to you and your family:flowerforyou: :flowerforyou:
  • isandi
    isandi Posts: 162 Member
    Options
    Hi there everyone!
    Glad to hear that Phil is doing better!

I have seen some standard poodles over the years but did not know that they came in red! I'll bet people stop all the time to comment on the color!

Glad that Sammy did not stay away for two long...poor thing!

It is really hot here too! We have a new air conditioner but it is working TOO hard. Went to the pool yesterday and today I ate dessert.....go figure! Sooooo that puts me over for the day! boo

As I am typing this I am listening to a man on qvc talking about his cook book and the 265 pounds that he has lost....I think I have his book on the table....guess I will go and take a look!

Be careful out there!
  • Sandydur
    Options
    Hi Friends,
    I am copying the update that I gave tonight to all of our family and friends. Thank you for all your kind words and yes I do talk to my Al Anon friends but not for a few days, I will be calling them tomorrow since when I did go today, Phil was still barking orders at his wife and I told him he should stop being so demanding on her and should realize what he put her through and she needs some rest. I told him you have a call button for the nurses. He said he wanted to get up and I told him I would get the nurse but he got frustrated with me and said he wanted to get up now. As I was getting the nurse his wife and friend did get him up and I heard him in the other room tell his wife that he doesn't need to be yelled at . Cheryl was upset with me for confronting him and I told her that is too bad and she better learn to say no. It all worked out and he actually was much nicer after I did confront him. The problem with his wife is that she enables him and is a co dependent with him. I really hope if he gets well they both go for counseling and he goes for rehab. Until then I have to work my own program. Here is the update:

Your Prayers are working, miracles are happening!!! Phil has moved from ICU to a private room without all the machines, I could hardly believe it when Cheryl told me that he was being moved. When I got to the hospital, they were just putting him in his new room, he was so alert and so like himself it was amazing.

He had a bad night last night because of the medicine they gave him for the ammonia from the kidneys, he had to use the facilities (portable) 24 times. When he got into the new room he made it 25, but believe it or not he got up with the help of a nurse’s aid, Cheryl and Antonio and walked to the bathroom. It did wear him out but who would have thought he would be on his feet this fast??? They also removed the catheter today, another step in the right direction. His kidneys are not functioning as good as they should be and although it is too soon to tell he may have to have dialysis even after he gets home, in lieu of that they are putting a shunt in tomorrow since the line they are using now is only good for five days. They are also doing an echo heart test tomorrow, just to be sure his heart is doing okay. The best news of the day is that his ammonia numbers are normal!!!! Hip hip hooray!!!! He no longer has to have the pill that makes him trout to the other room, so he should get a good nights sleep tonight.

Two of the visitors he had tonight were the nuns that were friends of his grandma and grandpa, we prayed together and we are grateful for all of your prayers. Remember, he still has liver problems and kidney problems but with how well he is doing I think God is giving him another chance.
  • Sandydur
    Options
    Marie, he is 45 years old.
  • barbiecat
    barbiecat Posts: 16,980 Member
    Options
    :flowerforyou: Sandy, it's good to hear that you'll be in touch with your Al-Anon friends......too bad your DIL isn't doing that, too......they could help her so much in dealing with her husband so she could be part of the solution instead of part of the problem

:flowerforyou: This has been a rough day. A big dog crashed into me at the dog parka and knocked me down.....my knee is swollen and I'm limping......I called my dance teacher and told her I probably wouldn't be dancing tomorrow......I've been icing my knee and staying off it......I'm supposed to go walking with a friend tomorrow and I'll probably have to cancel that, too,:sad: :sad: :sad: :sad: I guess I need a rest :laugh:

:flowerforyou: Marie, I know how scared you were about Sammy.....our pets are our children.

:flowerforyou: Sandi, good luck with your new cookbook
    :heart: :heart: :heart: :heart:
  • weaklink109
    weaklink109 Posts: 2,831 Member
    Options
    Sandy,
    That is encouraging news about Phil. Let us hope that he uses his second chance wisely. I hope his wife can learn to become a resource for a positive outcome for him. Sometimes those motiivated by love don't necessarily make the best choices when it comes to dealing with those they care about.:sad:

Marie,
    I am glad you found your wandering Sammy. Amazing how they can get themselves into places that they can't get out of!!:noway:

Barbie,
    So sorry to hear you were mistaken for a "bowling pin" by that big dog at the park. I know you are banged up, but there is an upside. Think how much worse the injury could have been if you had fallen and still weighed what you did when you started MFP! When I took my tumble, that certainly crossed my mind.

Sandi38,
    Keep cool--thank goodness for AC!!:drinker: :drinker:

Take care all.

Barb
  • barbiecat
    Options
    :flowerforyou: I am feeling better this morning.....I didn't get a lot of sleep but that allowed me to ice my knee twice and finish the great book I've been reading. I stayed home from line dance this morning :sad: and in a minute I'll call my friend that's expecting me to walk with her this afternoon and invite her to the house to sit and talk and drink tea......I did yoga this morning with only a small modification because my knee won't bend too well

:flowerforyou: Barb, you're right that the fall could have been much worse if I were carrying all that extra weight...I'm also grateful that it's my left knee so there won't be any problem with driving so I can go to the library and return my book and get the one I want to read next.

:flowerforyou: the raised bed is finished......we replanted the daisies and transplanted the marigolds and poppies.......today or tomorrow I'll transplant the sunflower and pumpkin seedling.:bigsmile: :bigsmile: :bigsmile: :bigsmile:
    :heart: :heart: :heart:
  • marlouise
    Options
    Hello ladies, feeling much cooler too, bought a AC yesterday and slept much better. Humidity has been playing with my wrist and arm, I put rub on and wrapped it in a support to give me some relief from the pain. I will not be going to the gym until it is settled again. I think I tore some tendons lifting the weights and that has started the problem.

:bigsmile: :bigsmile: Barbie you and I are on the mend I see. I have two bad knees to worry about. Stretches, lunges, step up exercises have helped big time to put strength in the leg muscles to help the tendons around the knee to mend. Hope you are back up and moveing again soon. :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou:

:smile: :smile: Sandy, good to hear things are getting better for you, it is a powerful thing that prayer habit. :smile: :smile:

My profile picture features my sisters' dog Sam (big guy) and my first sister's dog , Cleo (minipin). I tagged the photo as Sam was thinking, " Mom!, The fleas are getting bigger!."
  • jeffrey71
    jeffrey71 Posts: 432
    Options
    Hello Everyone!

I am back! finally! It has been a whirlwind here. I have been interviewing for jobs and it seems to be advancing well. Amanda is getting married! Looks like an April 2 date! I am happy about it. Day's mom was in the hospital with pneumonia (long long story) now out but fell and broke her wrist a week ago. see??? It has been nuts!

Day and I are fine. I am running a lot lately. About 35 miles per week plus my regular workouts. I really am enjoying the running. I have another race Friday night and another bike race in August.

I tried to catch up quickly on the post. Sandy hang in there. You have a good grip on it all!

Marie good to see you are walking!

Beth I will an email out to you soon.

Everyone else I will catch up with all soon too1 Promise!

I have a run scheduled for 11 and need to get moving. It has really been hot here lately! I lOVE IT! When it hits 90 I really run well.

Everyone have a great day! More soon!

Jeffrey
  • CALIECAT
    Options
    Barbiecat Hope your knee is beter now. remember you don't have the padding you used too so take it easy.

I indeed was so worried about sammy. I walk down the block calling his name but no amswer. I was about ready to called the dog pund and see if they pick him up.So hot Had to come back home. and let Jerry do it. He wont bark when he gets shut up in a room or closet just sit there till we open the door.
    We are going to have a very hot day hot day. between 105 and 115 heat index readings. with tenpertures right at 100. This is the day to stay in the a/c rooms. and do no cooking. I have stuff to make a shrimp salad for lunch. and that it will be.

Sandy, Hope things are still looking good. I know you guys are taking it one day at a time. So take care. He is awful young to be having this problems. If he makes it I surely hope he has learn a lesson I have been dreading the day i may have to go on the machinesThe only thing my Doctor restrict me to is protein. My last reading was improving.Mine was cause by being a diabectic not drinking. Never have been a big drinker. A little beer now and then but never any acohol.Its been 20 years since I had a beer.

TKE CARE ALL OF YOU.******** GOOD HEARING FROM YOU jEFFREY. SORRY ABOUT DAY'S MOTHER.
  • weaklink109
    weaklink109 Posts: 2,831 Member
    Options
    Marlouise, Hilarious caption on that photo!!

Marie, Glad you found Sammy. I have had cats that won't say a word when you call them--very frustrating.

Jeffrey, Sorry to hear about your MIL's wrist. Good luck with running in the heat. I can walk in the heat, but I don't run in any temperature. Still too many body parts flopping about.:noway: :laugh:

Sandy, Still thinking of you and Phil. Hope he is continuing to improve.

Have a good day all.

Barb
  • Lafla
    Lafla Posts: 685 Member
    Options
    Hi everyone! We just got back from our mini-holiday to Edmonton, Alberta. One of Neil's favorite things to do is visit West Edmonton Mall, the largest mall in North America. It always sounds good to me but shopping gets old fast! The good part was we walked for miles, Neil in the wheelchair. The bad part, there is a lot of good food at the mall. I will say no more. Back to program with my nose to the grindstone now. I missed my WW meeting this week so have nearly a week to get back to where I was. Not sure if that is possible. It is always good to get home and look forward to a sleep in my own bed. We really did have a good time and enjoyed just hanging out.

Sandy -- I thought of you everyday and wondered how Phil was doing. Glad to hear he is coming along. I hope someone will be able to give him an attitude adjustment. It sounds like you are up to the challenge!! I wonder if there is any chance that they will release him directly to an inpatient rehab. program. I know your al-anon friends will be so helpful to you.

Marie -- Glad that Sammy was safe.

Barbie -- Your knee sounds very sore. Hopefully it will be better tomorrow.

I really need to get a few things done here. Just wanted to check on Sandy and say hi to you all. Take care and keep smiling. Gayla :heart:
  • CALIECAT
    Options
    Gsyla. Is Neil edgible for an eclectric chair fpr these trip you all make. Would make it easier on you guys and getting around the house too. Has he try to walk yet . if not how does he get around. Sound like you all had a good time. And how is Dave doing?

Sandy How is Phil doing.?

It was a hot day here. 105 with the heat index. I am thinking about not going to the ex family reunion. They are telling the old folks to stay out of the heat. They have A/C but all the fun will be outside.But still would have to get in and out of the car 4 times. I have not been outside at all today.

Barbiecat Hope your knee is better.Angel the dog we had before sammy used to come running at me and jum on the back of my leg making me fall down. But I never got hurtBut she just weigh 25 lbs.

Barbs how is your folks doing?

Irene, Hope you are recuoping good.

Beth, Our exercise gal. I have been getting 2000 steps in a day But not today Just too hot. Keep it up .

Marilyn, Good hearing from you.

Gigi what happen to you? Come back and let us hear from you. Summer is a slow time on this thread. But it will pick up in the fall.

Have a wonderful summer you all. and lets us hear from you when you get a chance.

:heart: :drinker: Marie
  • barbiecat
    Options
    :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou: Gayla, welcome home.....traveling is always such a challenge to one's good eating habits.

:flowerforyou: my knee is much better and I am walking on it OK.....I put ice on it again today and stayed home from line dance and let Jake take the dogs to the dog park.......I did some work in the yard in our perfect weather.
    :heart: :heart: :heart:
  • Sandydur
    Options
    Hi All!!

Just to let you know that Phil was moved to a regular room yesterday but is back in ICU today. They put in a new shunt for his dialysis near his shoulder and then he went for dialysis. When he returned they removed the old shunt near his groin and it was bleeding since his blood is so thin. When he woke up in the morning he was in a pool of blood and they brought him back to ICU.
    HIs hemogoblin was only 6 where normal is 12 and his ammonia went back up to 50. I called later tonight and his hemogobin was 8.6, so the blood they gave him is helping. Everyone says how grateful he should be to be given this second chance in living, but none of us think he gets it, he is demanding and only worries about getting out of the hospital. He has a long way to go and without rehab I really don't think he will stay sober. The next drink will kill him but he just doesn't get it. It is frustrating and worrisome all at the same time. My husband is exhausted and I am starting to worry about him. He already has a blockage in his widow maker artery so I am trying to make him stay home more often.

I appreciate all of your concern and I am doing fine. I have a program to work and it keeps me focused, not to say I am not angry or worried with Phil.

I will keep you posted and let you know if anything wakes this kid up, it could be a defense for his fear since everyone has told him he is lucky to be alive.

Sandy