Welcome to Debate Club! Please be aware that this is a space for respectful debate, and that your ideas will be challenged here. Please remember to critique the argument, not the author.

Scared at what I am reading

Options

Replies

• d4_54
    d4_54 Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    peleroja wrote: »
    I think it's kind of cute when men twice my size with twice the daily physical activity get all concerned about the intake of small women (especially older, more sedentary women.) 1200 calories a day for me and women like me is not a large cut at all - it's a very, very moderate reduction in calories and less than a pound a week of weight loss. It's a very far cry from "starvation."

I know it's hard to realize for a person who maintains on 3000 calories a day that littler people just don't need that (and that the smaller you are, the fewer calories you burn from activity too - a 10K run for me might burn only 600 calories.) Like...I ride my bike to work, run 10-15K a few times a week (and 20+ once a week), and I still tend to maintain around 2000/day even with quite a bit of regular cardio. I'm just not very large and my body doesn't need as many calories as heavier people.

1200 calories per day is a very aggressive cut for some people, but I think you need to adjust your perspective and realize that for a short, lightish woman, 1500/day might actually be maintenance...know what I mean?

You do 50-65 kilometres every week and ride your bike to work every work day??
    That's far, very far from sedentary. Are you saying that with all that you average around 1200 cals?

I do not have enough info based on what you have said but unless you are tiny (as in 3.7 feet then 1500 with all that activity sounds very low.

If you read back all my comments, I do explain that my comments are not fixed and fits all.

This app is taking up more of my time then Facebook
  • RelevantGains
    RelevantGains Posts: 83 Member
    Options
    d4_54 wrote: »
    I think it's kind of cute when men twice my size with twice the daily physical activity get all concerned about the intake of small women (especially older, more sedentary women.) 1200 calories a day for me and women like me is not a large cut at all - it's a very, very moderate reduction in calories and less than a pound a week of weight loss. It's a very far cry from "starvation."

I know it's hard to realize for a person who maintains on 3000 calories a day that littler people just don't need that (and that the smaller you are, the fewer calories you burn from activity too - a 10K run for me might burn only 600 calories.) Like...I ride my bike to work, run 10-15K a few times a week (and 20+ once a week), and I still tend to maintain around 2000/day even with quite a bit of regular cardio. I'm just not very large and my body doesn't need as many calories as heavier people.

1200 calories per day is a very aggressive cut for some people, but I think you need to adjust your perspective and realize that for a short, lightish woman, 1500/day might actually be maintenance...know what I mean?

That's far, very far from sedentary. Are you saying that with all that you average around 1200 cals?

I do not have enough info based on what you have said but unless you are tiny (as in 3.7 feet then 1500 with all that activity sounds very low.

If you read back all my comments, I do explain that my comments are not fixed and fits all.

You're not gonna be able to save them all, unfortunately haha!
  • d4_54
    Options

You're not gonna be able to save them all, unfortunately haha!

One at a time my friend...one at a time
  • Shadowmf023
    Shadowmf023 Posts: 812 Member
    Options
    I guess exercising for 2.5 hours a day could be considered too much. But as a short woman, I enjoy eating 1600 calories while losing weight. All be it only at a 350calorie deficit p/day.

But then, lifting weights and walking long, long distances is really fun, and it's more of an activity than exercise, if that makes sense. Especially considering I sit on my butt studying the rest of the day, Lol.
  • ogmomma2012
    ogmomma2012 Posts: 1,520 Member
    Options
    I am not here to diet, I am here to change my life. It includes low carb, high fat *sarcastic gasp* and a calorie deficit of 1400 or so. It's a struggle because of how I was raised and how I see food, but if I can have only 4 problem days out of 30, I think I'm doing something right.
  • cerise_noir
    cerise_noir Posts: 5,468 Member
    Options
    You do you, everyone else can do themselves. Why worry yourself ever what others do. It's unnecessary stress and anger.
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,389 MFP Moderator
    Options
    usmcmp wrote: »

So you come on here to lecture people about giving bad information (without providing links to examples) and the one thread you post in a couple of times per day takes up too much of your time? I'm all for improving the quality of information on here and providing useful/realistic steps to help others achieve their goals. I know several people in this thread who have adopted noobs, created informational threads that were pinned by the site as references, and who spend hours every day giving solid resources on how to create sustainable plans. I created one of the top referenced threads on here and I know I've changed many lives over the 2,000 days I have been here.

Well you certainly aren't talking about me. So i will just keep on moving.

• usmcmp
    usmcmp Posts: 21,220 Member
    Options
    psulemon wrote: »

So you come on here to lecture people about giving bad information (without providing links to examples) and the one thread you post in a couple of times per day takes up too much of your time? I'm all for improving the quality of information on here and providing useful/realistic steps to help others achieve their goals. I know several people in this thread who have adopted noobs, created informational threads that were pinned by the site as references, and who spend hours every day giving solid resources on how to create sustainable plans. I created one of the top referenced threads on here and I know I've changed many lives over the 2,000 days I have been here.

@psulemon definitely not talking about mods. Especially not ones who put up with the broscience in the gaining weight section. :laugh:
  • d4_54
    Options
    psulemon wrote: »

@psulemon definitely not talking about mods. Especially not ones who put up with the broscience in the gaining weight section. :laugh:

Am I missing something here?
  • GaleHawkins
    GaleHawkins Posts: 8,160 Member
    Options
    selina884 wrote: »
    Appreciating.

Overtime you will notice its the same few posters who are

a)easily offended
    b)will argue for the sake of being PC
    c)least openminded and stuck in the processed food + CICO bubble

Ignore them and don't let those few stop you from voicing your opinions

So true based what I have seen over the past two years but their numbers seem to be dropping.
  • snickerscharlie
    snickerscharlie Posts: 8,578 Member
    Options
    selina884 wrote: »
    Appreciating.

Overtime you will notice its the same few posters who are

a)easily offended
    b)will argue for the sake of being PC
    c)least openminded and stuck in the processed food + CICO bubble

Ignore them and don't let those few stop you from voicing your opinions

Are you suggesting that:

a) CICO doesn't work, and

b) those who choose to include a moderate amount of 'processed food' (whatever that means) in their overall diet while successfully remaining in a deficit are somehow close-minded, easily offended and should be ignored simply because their methods don't match yours?

• AnabolicMind2011
    AnabolicMind2011 Posts: 211 Member
    Options
    Some people will never make life style change because they don't have the cents for it.

How many cents does it cost?