Welcome to Debate Club! Please be aware that this is a space for respectful debate, and that your ideas will be challenged here. Please remember to critique the argument, not the author.

Scared at what I am reading

Options

Replies

• lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    d4_54 wrote: »
    Lemurcat12 I will look up the history of the word and post it hear but for me I see it as a word that can be used to sell us something. We should replace it with 'eating'. However they can't sell us that.

I think the susceptibility to being sold something is independent from the use of the (perfectly good) term diet. There are just as many anti-diet or lifestyle weight loss cures that are being marketed and sold.
  • lemurcat12
    edited August 2016
    Options
    What is "being PC" on MFP?

What is the "CICO+processed foods bubble"? What does CICO even have to do with how much processed food you eat (or whether you define "processed food" correctly, as many who claim not to eat processed food seem to eat lots of it).

Also, what does that have to do with OP's post? OP, did you intend to say something about processed food, CICO, or PC that I missed?
  • ouryve
    ouryve Posts: 572 Member
    Options
    I don't know about anyone else, but when someone throws around accusations of being PC, I find them rather hard to take seriously.
  • lemurcat12
    Options
    ouryve wrote: »
    I don't know about anyone else, but when someone throws around accusations of being PC, I find them rather hard to take seriously.

This is true.
  • lemurcat12
    edited August 2016
    Options
    I consider that common courtesy, not "being PC."
  • GaleHawkins
    GaleHawkins Posts: 8,160 Member
    edited August 2016
    Options
    selina884 wrote: »
    Appreciating.

Overtime you will notice its the same few posters who are

a)easily offended
    b)will argue for the sake of being PC
    c)least openminded and stuck in the processed food + CICO bubble

Ignore them and don't let those few stop you from voicing your opinions

So true based what I have seen over the past two years but their numbers seem to be dropping.

Do you think it is because the standard medical dogma is finally be challenged by all the people who are failing from trying it? Or do you think there is some other reason they drop off the forums?

This is a hard to know and there may be many reasons.

To manage my arthritis pain the doctors wanted me to start on Enbrel injects two year ago. I elected to instead cut out sugar and all grains because of the known possible side effects of Enbrel even the $3,000 a month cost would have been covered. In the first 30 days of cutting out sugar and all grains my pain levels of 7-8 dropped to 2-3 and two year later are still well managed by diet only and no meds of any kind.

My action two years ago without my then understanding meant I had gone to a WOE (Way Of Eating) that was LCHF (Low Carb High Fat).

Pre LCHF (two years ago) labs were:
    Total Cholesterol - 226
    HDL - 38
    LDL - 146
    Triglycerides - 209

9 months of LCHF (one year ago) labs were:
    Total Cholesterol - 404
    HDL - 56
    LDL - 323
    Triglycerides - 121

17 months of LCHF (today) labs were:
    Total Cholesterol - 257
    HDL - 63
    LDL - 186
    Triglycerides - 36

The new doctor said keep doing what I am doing because it is working and that now Total Cholesterol has to be at >290 before they consider statins, etc. She was not hype pro LCHF but she said the numbers proved it was working for me. I think my numbers helped her better understand the first year of LCHF sending Cholesterol through the roof is NORMAL for some. I refused statins last year because I knew it was normal to shot up because the body takes a while to stop producing high cholesterol that is produced to protect against high inflammation.

Two years ago I think there were several posters on MFP that thought LCHF was actually unhealthy WOE but I think most know otherwise now hence less attacks on this WOE for example.

My personal goal for Total Cholesterol is 200-240 since at my age it gets the best odds of preventing my premature death but 257 is not far from that protective range. My ratios are now awesome. A1C was 5.1
  • snerggly
    snerggly Posts: 112 Member
    Options
    Good rant, you are okay by me.
  • usmcmp
    usmcmp Posts: 21,220 Member
    Options
    Appreciating.

a)easily offended

So true based what I have seen over the past two years but their numbers seem to be dropping.

Do you think it is because the standard medical dogma is finally be challenged by all the people who are failing from trying it? Or do you think there is some other reason they drop off the forums?

To manage my arthritis pain the doctors wanted me to start on Enbrel injects two year ago. I elected to instead cut out sugar and all grains because of the known possible side effects of Enbrel even the $3,000 a month cost would have been covered. In the first 30 days of cutting out sugar and all grains my pain levels of 7-8 dropped to 2-3 and two year later are still well managed by diet only and no meds of any kind.

My action two years ago without my then understanding meant I had gone to a WOE (Way Of Eating) that was LCHF (Low Carb High Fat).

Total Cholesterol - 226
    HDL - 38
    LDL - 146
    Triglycerides - 209

Total Cholesterol - 404
    HDL - 56
    LDL - 323
    Triglycerides - 121

Total Cholesterol - 257
    HDL - 63
    LDL - 186
    Triglycerides - 36

The new doctor said keep doing what I am doing because it is working and that now Total Cholesterol has to be at >290 before they consider statins, etc. She was not hype pro LCHF but she said the numbers proved it was working for me. I think my numbers helped her better understand the first year of LCHF sending Cholesterol through the roof is NORMAL for some. I refused statins last year because I knew it was normal to shot up because the body takes a while to stop producing high cholesterol that is produced to protect against high inflammation.

Two years ago I think there were several posters on MFP that thought LCHF was actually unhealthy WOE but I think most know otherwise now hence less attacks on this WOE for example.

My personal goal for Total Cholesterol is 200-240 since at my age it gets the best odds of preventing my premature death but 257 is not far from that protective range. My ratios are now awesome. A1C was 5.1

Oh I think I see. Many of the posters against LCHF on the board two years ago where following the medical establishment. Their health like their cholesterol levels has probably been terrible, and they're probably on a lot of prescriptions from their doctor. I guess a lot of them might no longer be capable of posting or even with us anymore.

Interesting conclusion you've reached. I happen to know what happened to them and it's not as you assume, but nice guess.
  • AnabolicMind2011
    AnabolicMind2011 Posts: 211 Member
    Options
    Appreciating.

a)easily offended

Total Cholesterol - 226
    HDL - 38
    LDL - 146
    Triglycerides - 209

Total Cholesterol - 404
    HDL - 56
    LDL - 323
    Triglycerides - 121

Total Cholesterol - 257
    HDL - 63
    LDL - 186
    Triglycerides - 36

Oh I think I see. Many of the posters against LCHF on the board two years ago where following the medical establishment. Their health like their cholesterol levels has probably been terrible, and they're probably on a lot of prescriptions from their doctor. I guess a lot of them might no longer be capable of posting or even with us anymore.

Maybe they got sick of hearing about how low carb cures dementia, sickle cell anemia, athletes foot and crossed eyes so they left because they couldn't bare to listen to such ridiculous claims anymore.

Or maybe they joined the Keto klub and lived happily ever after

The world may never know

#MysteryMonday

Close.

You appear to be new here but there have been a few more changes that probably have a little more to do with it, like the ones we can't talk about...

This ain't my first rodeo honey but nice try
  • 3dogsrunning
    3dogsrunning Posts: 27,167 Member
    edited August 2016
    Options
    Appreciating.

a)easily offended

Total Cholesterol - 226
    HDL - 38
    LDL - 146
    Triglycerides - 209

Total Cholesterol - 404
    HDL - 56
    LDL - 323
    Triglycerides - 121

Total Cholesterol - 257
    HDL - 63
    LDL - 186
    Triglycerides - 36

Maybe they got sick of hearing about how low carb cures dementia, sickle cell anemia, athletes foot and crossed eyes so they left because they couldn't bare to listen to such ridiculous claims anymore.

Or maybe they joined the Keto klub and lived happily ever after

The world may never know

#MysteryMonday

Close.

You appear to be new here but there have been a few more changes that probably have a little more to do with it, like the ones we can't talk about...

This ain't my first rodeo honey but nice try

Uh, welcome back?
    So you have seen the changes in this site?
  • GaleHawkins
    GaleHawkins Posts: 8,160 Member
    Options
    Appreciating.

a)easily offended

Total Cholesterol - 226
    HDL - 38
    LDL - 146
    Triglycerides - 209

Total Cholesterol - 404
    HDL - 56
    LDL - 323
    Triglycerides - 121

Total Cholesterol - 257
    HDL - 63
    LDL - 186
    Triglycerides - 36

I doubt there is much validity in what you see.

Most people do not die in two years due to diet choices.

As the medical world comes to view diet in a more open and factual way perhaps posters are doing the same. Last year the same medical clinic was opposed to LCHF yet this year clearly stated not to change my LCHF way of eating because all of my health markers across the board were moving in the right direction.

As MD's become more knowledgeable about different diets I expect MFP posters will as well is my point. The MD that I saw today was relative young woman so maybe doctors are getting better training these days compared to some of the false teachings about ways of eating from yesteryear.

• wolvinnetje
    wolvinnetje Posts: 363 Member
    Options
    d4_54 wrote: »
    I can't believe that people are still even using the word diet. This is a rant but I am willing to debate. If you excessively cut calories and starve yourself and add to this with excessive exercise you will regain any weight you lose. You will waste your life in your head and in the gym.

Just eat enough that you are nourished. Be active, rest and repeat this. If you are doing this and feel crap it's probably not the weight that is upsetting you.

The rubbish I am hearing about cheat days and 1200 calories and no carbs is ridiculous. Seriously. I love you all but the food and body is not the problem. It's a problem you have created to avoid another problem.

Energy balance and trying to enjoy everyday. Do not give the pass anymore of your time and expect no less then a positive future. This is the bit you should focus on. Not the amount of cals in your coffee.

Rant over. I am actually a nice guy but seriously I feel like I am in the matrix with some of you.

This is far from aggresive if people feel this as aggresive it is there problem.
    And that stupid remark of how many post you did what the hell has this to do with?
    Everybody project everything on themselves why?

These days you can't have a honest opinion and you have to go with the majority so stupid!
    I totally agree with you .......all the "superfood" !@#$%^& and diet stuff at the moment it makes you crazy if you read everything.
    What happend with the normal!!!! portions of meat ...veggies and potatoes? and the walk every day or take the bike instead of the car?
    All I want to say is Thank you for your honest opinion and keep doing that don't let you make "mouth dead" (sorry I'm from belgium and speak dutch and I couldn't find the right word for it so this was a literal translation).

• c2111
    c2111 Posts: 693 Member
    Options
    Hi personally diet as a word doesnt offend me, diet is just a word to describe a means to an end to sustain the body, food fuel. Now starvation 400 600 800 cal plans are upsetting and actively discouraged. Personally I'm on a 1200 plan as im recovering from spinal injuries. So everybodys needs are very much individual , looking forward to the day when i can increase my cal intake and go for a run (walk is my goal). Some people have medical reasons, disability, illness, responsibilities that they cant simply go to the gym or run to burn it off.
  • Orphanogenesis
    Orphanogenesis Posts: 523 Member
    Options
    FEx5jcJ.gif