Welcome to Debate Club! Please be aware that this is a space for respectful debate, and that your ideas will be challenged here. Please remember to critique the argument, not the author.

Scared at what I am reading

Options

Replies

• Derpy_Hooves
    Derpy_Hooves Posts: 234 Member
    Options
    d4_54 wrote: »
    Just eat enough that you are nourished. Be active, rest and repeat this.

Fully agree with this part. It's SO simple really.

But why do so many of us struggle with this?

• selina884
    selina884 Posts: 826 Member
    Options
    Appreciating.

Overtime you will notice its the same few posters who are

a)easily offended
    b)will argue for the sake of being PC
    c)least openminded and stuck in the processed food + CICO bubble

Ignore them and don't let those few stop you from voicing your opinions
  • d4_54
    d4_54 Posts: 62 Member
    Options

We created this disordered pattern of eating so we can struggle with it so we don't have to face the real struggle.

I sound like a idiot guru because where I am with my life but not everyone is here. I am just happy that I can just flipping eat whatever I want (and most crucially) I no longer want to eat burgers, pizza, and ice cream all day.

However any 'diet' that doesn't have pizza and ice cream can....do one !!
  • Derpy_Hooves
    Options

For the most part, we are mislead by government guidelines, diet industry, media, and religion.

Mmm not so sure about this. What happened to common sense and taking responsibility for your own actions?
    Don't get me wrong now, I don't find this easy at all, but it's still me putting the cookies in my big gob, nothing to do with goverment guidelines, let alone religion.
  • StealthHealth
    StealthHealth Posts: 2,417 Member
    Options

Because some people's goals require significantly more precision and/or effort than that.
  • Derpy_Hooves
    Options
    selina884 wrote: »

For the most part, we are mislead by government guidelines, diet industry, media, and religion.

Mmm not so sure about this. What happened to common sense and taking responsibility for your own actions?
    Don't get me wrong now, I don't find this easy at all, but it's still me putting the cookies in my big gob, nothing to do with goverment guidelines, let alone religion.

common sense isnt very common and many people lack willpower.

Another bunch of excuses, I know but it's true.

No, fully agree with that.
  • kommodevaran
    kommodevaran Posts: 17,890 Member
    edited August 2016
    Options

Sure, I'm responsible for what I'm putting into my head - which means I should also have been critical to what I read, and I'm fully to blame for blindly trusting government sites/posters and believing or internalizing diet myths. BUT, the way the human body and mind works, makes us crave what we need, and when we don't let ourselves have what we need, we will get what we can, when we can, and being in a mental conflict and ambivalent, as well as confused, and also feeling like a failure, because of the vague but really strong messages and imagery presented by government and diet industry, paired with religious piety and ideas of greed, gluttony, sinful behavior, and penance to make up for it, is NOT a good posision in which to make sound and informed decisions.
  • RoxieDawn
    RoxieDawn Posts: 15,488 Member
    Options
    BreezeDoveal I appreciate you saying that about that point.

I just read in another debate someone saying that they had to "run 10 miles to eat 1 donut".

I was too coward to say anything. I was thinking what kind horrible existence is that? To enjoy a the occasional donut I have to run almost half a marathon. Wow

This is in the "eat a donut post workout to spike insulin thread" and was joke per se. This is a bad example of what you are trying to convey to the masses here.
  • 3dogsrunning
    3dogsrunning Posts: 27,167 Member
    Options
    I agree, I have seen some worrisome things here in my short time as well. I think it's partly to blame on the default MFP settings, which seems to set every woman to 1200 calories regardless of starting weight, and I think it's because by default it adds in activity, and has them eat back those calories.

I guess that's one (confusing) way to do things, and it doesn't seem too terrible if they end up actually eating 1500+ calories due to activity, but because of all the confusion, it's pretty tough to know.

When someone says they're 250-300 pounds on 1200 calories, hopefully that doesn't actually mean they're on 1200 calories. And if it does, hopefully they know what they're doing and are getting enough protein and EFAs.

Obviously, everyone's free to do what they want, and I also don't buy in to calories being "too low to be healthy". I do, however, think that calories can be too low to be sustainable.

I never got 1200.
    I also didn't choose 2lbs a week which had "(not recommended)" beside it.

People usually get 1200 if they put their activity level lower than it should be and aim for a weight loss per week goal that is too high for them. It's pretty clear that the system wants you to eat back your exercise calories.
  • RoxieDawn
    Options
    I agree, I have seen some worrisome things here in my short time as well. I think it's partly to blame on the default MFP settings, which seems to set every woman to 1200 calories regardless of starting weight, and I think it's because by default it adds in activity, and has them eat back those calories.

I guess that's one (confusing) way to do things, and it doesn't seem too terrible if they end up actually eating 1500+ calories due to activity, but because of all the confusion, it's pretty tough to know.

When someone says they're 250-300 pounds on 1200 calories, hopefully that doesn't actually mean they're on 1200 calories. And if it does, hopefully they know what they're doing and are getting enough protein and EFAs.

Obviously, everyone's free to do what they want, and I also don't buy in to calories being "too low to be healthy". I do, however, think that calories can be too low to be sustainable.

I never got 1200.

People usually get 1200 if they put their activity level lower than it should be and aim for a weight loss per week goal that is too high for them. It's pretty clear that the system wants you to eat back your exercise calories.

Well it is totally unfortunate that is 1200 calories thing is all I get to loose .5 pounds (actually a little less). But my current stats rule this, my age, current weight and height. I use my exercise calories to beat this number!

There are people that qualify as being short as there are some 4'8" to 5'4" women that fit in this range to loose less than then .5 - 1 pound a week.

This 1200 calories thing is not a death sentence. It is bad for those that are trying to do it unhealthy that do not fit the small majority of women, so I look at the entire picture of someone's case to determine if they are trying to walk themselves into unhealthy weight loss and this is a always on a case by case basis and does not apply to the masses out there OP is saying.
  • 3dogsrunning
    3dogsrunning Posts: 27,167 Member
    edited August 2016
    Options
    RoxieDawn wrote: »

I never got 1200.

Well it is totally unfortunate that is 1200 calories thing is all I get to loose .5 pounds (actually a little less). But my current stats rule this, my age, current weight and height. I use my exercise calories to beat this number!

There are people that qualify as being short as there are some 4'8" to 5'4" women that fit in this range to loose less than then .5 - 1 pound a week.

This 1200 calories thing is not a death sentence. It is bad for those that are trying to do it unhealthy that do not fit the small majority of women, so I look at the entire picture of someone's case to determine if they are trying to walk themselves into unhealthy weight loss and this is a always on a case by case basis and does not apply to the masses out there OP is saying.

I didn't mean no one would get it For some, it is an appropriate number. And as you mention, adding exercise will affect it as well.
    My point was the poster says MFP gives every woman 1200. It doesn't. But for some, it's fine if it does.
  • RoxieDawn
    Options
    RoxieDawn wrote: »

I never got 1200.

I didn't mean no one would get it For some, it is an appropriate number. And as you mention, adding exercise will affect it as well.
    My point was the poster says MFP gives every woman 1200. It doesn't. But for some, it's fine if it does.

Good point.. and...

Because the OP clearly stated 1200 calories (meaning women to me) and has not discussed the men's calories range, but clearly stated "all" are having some sort of disordered thinking or have some sort of mental/emotional/psychological problem they need to deal with that is not food related at all, this is the part that is more alarming to me.
  • lisamerrison
    lisamerrison Posts: 90 Member
    Options
    I have been "dieting" for around 25 years now. I have tried several diets - all have failed. In the last 2 years I have lost 2 stone and kept it off for the last year now by NOT being "on a diet". I say I am not on a diet, what I am doing is eating healthily. I have changed my lifestyle to a more healthy one. This way, if I have a time when I don't eat healthy and go off track a little, then I am more able to get back on track and draw a line under it because I know that it is not a short term goal and its not that I have failed I have just had a bump in the road.

At the end of the day that is life, and events and things happen that occasionally mean that I am not eating as healthily as I want to but by having this approach I am not setting myself up for failure. Of course I would have liked to have continued losing weight over the last year but keeping it off is a massive achievement for me and I am now going to try and get another stone off.

My calorie allowance is 1620 but what I find is that sometimes I am not hungry. So I eat when I am hungry, stop when I am satisfied (not full) and don't stress over not eating my calorie allowance and being so obsessed about everything. So some days I don't eat my full allowance by as many as 400 calories. But generally this is after a day when I have perhaps gone overboard, like on my wedding anniversary when I ate and drank (alcohol) far over my calorie allowance and I guess by not being hungry my body was saying "hey give me a rest please".

I would like to know what people think would happen to my weight loss if I regularly ate 1200-1300 calories a day (bearing in mind that 1620 is a 500 calorie deficit). Incidentally, I used to eat all my exercise calories back but didn't lose weight so now I only eat half of them.