Update Stronglifts and Kettlebell transformation! Pictures!

Options

Replies

• Madux1818
    Madux1818 Posts: 307 Member
    Options
    What size kettle bells did you start with?
  • fanncy0626
    fanncy0626 Posts: 7,116 Member
    edited September 2016
    Options
    Madux1818- I actually started with a 10 lb weight plate that had large holes around the circumference. I did the single arm swing with that. After the 5 week basic program ( of which I only do the first 4 weeks) I moved up to the 25lb Kettlebell. That was in December.

My progression is-
    4 week basic program every other day (non Stronglifts days. I swing the last Kettlebell weight prior to increasing weight on SL days) 7 swings.

Next 4 weeks I follow the basic program but increase to 10 swings.

Next 4 weeks I build strength by swinging the last day of the program sets of 25x10xweight amount.

Next 4 weeks I transition to the higher weight Kettlebell on SL days. So now I am swinging that weight every day and should have built enough strength by the end of the 4 weeks to safely repeat the process for the next 5 lb increase in weight and repeat the above for the next 16 weeks.

At my age I'm in no hurry and want to avoid injury. As you can see I am doing a form of progressive overload.
  • lorrpb
    lorrpb Posts: 11,464 Member
    Options
    Grrrrrreat!! Size 0, that's just mind boggling to me.
  • fanncy0626
    Options
    Iorrpb- I know there really shouldn't be a size 0! Whoever came up with that size???
  • Madux1818
    Madux1818 Posts: 307 Member
    Options
    Just got my starter 10lb kettle bell, do you think that's enough (to start) the 5 week basic program?
  • fanncy0626
    Options
    Madux1818 wrote: »
    Just got my starter 10lb kettle bell, do you think that's enough (to start) the 5 week basic program?

Fantastic!!!! Yes! It would be perfect for working on your form! Let me know if you need any advice!
  • NextPage
    NextPage Posts: 609 Member
    Options
    This 53 year old is very thankful that you posted this. I have been lifting heavier weights and doing less cardio for over a year now and feel so much stronger and, frankly, us older curvy girls need "heavy lifting" ;) . Your after picture makes me hopeful, that with diet discipline, I may be able to get my waist back too (your waist is tiny!). Would you mind sharing more of your eating plan?
  • fanncy0626
    Options
    NextPage wrote: »
    Would you mind sharing more of your eating plan?

The way that I lost most of my weight was CICO. I love sweet and salty. To maintain I eat a Paleo/Keto diet during the week. I usually do intermittent fasting 19/5 which is a 5 hour window for eating. I like to eat in the evening so I start eating at 5 o'clock until 9 o'clock. I eat mainly eggs, bacon, ribs, meatballs, steak, hot dogs from Costco, 1.5 oz pork shanks, chicken wings, deep fried tilapia, green vegetable, Full fat dairy, very little fruit. Sweet potatoes 1 to 2 times a week and spaghetti squash with garlic and Parmesan. I fry foods including vegetables in butter or extra virgin olive oil deep fry in canola oil. Fats are essential for a healthy brain, reduce inflammation in your joints and do not cause heart disease just like eggs do not cause cholesterol! This keto diet that is high in fat actually causes your body to burn fat instead of carbs. It will help you to get rid of belly fat that surrounds your vital organs. I try to keep the carbs at around 30 g. This is the HFLC diet. Then on weekends I eat whatever I want which includes donuts, pizza, and a lot of chocolate! If I was to stick with the diet that I do during the week I could loose up to 4 pounds a week. The nutrient breakdown is fat 75%, protein 20%, and carbs 5%. There is a HFLC or, LCHF group on here one is called the keto group. Your body should naturally be able to go from fat burning to carb burning. Hopefully mine will do that over the weekend when I go higher carbs and calories. I hope this helps! Let me know if you need further information.
  • loveswalking
    loveswalking Posts: 354 Member
    Options
    How long did it take you to notice results from lifting? I going to have a PT show me how to do the 5 lifts so I can do them with good form.
  • thenananator
    thenananator Posts: 273 Member
    Options
    Your posts are so inspirational for me. I picked up a kettleball at the gym and gave it a go....and I love it. I am at 15lbs now doing 10 swings. It has taken me 2 weeks to get here. I am wondering if I should try the 30 with less swings? Want to avoid injury also.
  • astrampe
    astrampe Posts: 2,169 Member
    Options
    Syneea wrote: »
    What additional benefit does the kettle bell provide that SL does not??

Cardio and strength at the same time - Stronglifts is strength only....
  • fanncy0626
    Options
    Your posts are so inspirational for me. I picked up a kettleball at the gym and gave it a go....and I love it. I am at 15lbs now doing 10 swings. It has taken me 2 weeks to get here. I am wondering if I should try the 30 with less swings? Want to avoid injury also.

Thank you so much! I am so happy that you enjoy the kettle bell! If you want to try the 30 pound use the five-week program that I do in the original post. Because I also weight lift I only do the Monday Wednesday Friday goblet squat and kettle bell swing. I do have videos for the other exercises on Tuesdays and Thursdays. However, you could do Monday Wednesday Friday and every day of the week as Pavel Tsatsouline states in Simple and Sinister you can swing every day unless you want to take a break!
  • fanncy0626
    Options
    astrampe wrote: »
    Syneea wrote: »
    What additional benefit does the kettle bell provide that SL does not??

Cardio and strength at the same time - Stronglifts is strength only....

Great answer! It is similar to HIIT exercise. With weights!
  • bajan_bum
    bajan_bum Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    Nice job so far. Keep it going!
  • fanncy0626
    Options
    nowine4me wrote: »
    Hi @fanncy0626 - an update for you. You inspired me to get a Kettlebell to use on my off-days from Stronglifts. I got a 25# and use it 4 days a week for 100 swings (5 sets of 20) after my run. I do push-up, dips, jump rope in between. It's so much fun and mixes up my routine. Thanks again for posting.

Fantastic! I'm so happy that you enjoy the workout! It sounds like you are ready to move up to a heavier KB. With your obvious strength, just like SL if you can do 10 easily like in your case 20 think of the calorie burn using a 30-35 lb! You will probably surpass me with your strength!
  • Funmiloves
    Funmiloves Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    OMG!! Thank you so much for this! I've been meaning to start incorporating my kettle bells back with my running during my 'rest' days. Even I can manage 25mins every other day.... I just needed a good kick up the backs*de :smiley:
  • fanncy0626
    Options
    Funmiloves wrote: »
    OMG!! Thank you so much for this! I've been meaning to start incorporating my kettle bells back with my running during my 'rest' days. Even I can manage 25mins every other day.... I just needed a good kick up the backs*de :smiley:

Consider this the kick! You will be very pleased with the results!
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!