Update Stronglifts and Kettlebell transformation! Pictures!

Options

Replies

• shawnele
    shawnele Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    @fanncy0626 , I'm mostly a lurker, but I wanted to tell you that I'm another person you've inspired with your story. I started working on getting back in to shape (with 40lbs to lose) on August 15th. I came across your story within a couple of weeks and bought a 15lb KB. Most days I go for a run/jog with my kids in the morning; later in the day I do a JM 30 Day Shred video and then swing the KB for 20 minutes. I do sets of 20 reps and usually do a set every 1-2 minutes (depending on how tired I'm getting). The hubs has discouraged adding any more weights to the collections so I haven't moved up in weight but am thinking I ought to. (My birthday is the 1st of October, so I told him that, since he's going to spend $ on me anyway, I'd really like 25lb-er...cheaper than a pedi and lasts longer!) Anyway, a) thank you, again, for sharing your story...I'm loving swinging that bell, and I'm loving what I'm seeing in my body! (Even with 29lbs left to lose, I have definition in places I'd forgotten had muscles!) And b) I've been able to swing the 15lb fairly easily since I first started. At first, the 17-20th rep made me groan, but now - usually - while my heart rate is up and the last sets are definitely harder than the other sets, I don't really have to expend a whole lot of effort to execute the swing. Does 25lbs sound like a reasonable jump? Thank you so much for your willingness to not just tell your story, but give feedback!
  • fanncy0626
    fanncy0626 Posts: 7,116 Member
    Options
    shawnele- I am so happy for you! You are doing a fantastic job! The Kettlebell will not be a waste of money ever! I would like to suggest to you to get the app- "Swing Timer"
    It will give you a time interval for your swings. I entered the time of work at 20 seconds, rest 40 seconds, #reps between 7 to 10 (depending on what I am working on), #sets also depending on what I am working on. I put that on my iPhone and it works very nicely. I only use it on kettle bell workout days which are on strong lift rest days.

I am so happy that you are planning on moving up in the amount of weight you are using. What I would suggest is following the five-week basic plan. The reason I suggest following the basic plan is because it would progress you up in sets, reps, and at the end of the basic program you will be ready to progress in Kettlebell weight.

I am so excited that I have another swinging buddy! I don't think your husband knows what he's in for! You're going to lose that weight very quickly and become extremely toned and he will be buying you kettle bell after kettle bell! My husband just bought me a set of 3- 40, 45, 50. He loves the results! Warning! Your husband will not be able to keep his hands off you! I got my set online through Walmart and all three of them only cost $120! When I was buying the individual ones I also bought them at Walmart. Be careful and check to make sure that there are not any rough edges on the horn, handle. If there are you can sand them off.
  • shawnele
    shawnele Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    @fanncy0626 , thank you again! I have an android phone and "Swing Timer" doesn't seem to be an option in android, so I'll download another interval timer. Thank you for that recommendation and the 5 week plan recommendation - I need some structure to what I'm doing.

I am blessed that my husband has always loved how I have looked and interest has never been an issue when fatigue hasn't plagued him - but, given that he already comments, daily, on the changes in my body, I'm thinking it's going to be a fun winter. :blush: (He's a horse trainer and works 12-16 hour days in the summer so the whole family makes up for lost time with him in the winter.)

Thank you, again, for all of your advice and support. It is VERY much appreciated!
  • Madux1818
    Madux1818 Posts: 307 Member
    Options
    Question about the five week program with Pavel. The second week calls for body lifts and I don't belong to the gym to have access to the machine. What did you do?
  • fanncy0626
    Options
    Madux1818 wrote: »
    Question about the five week program with Pavel. The second week calls for body lifts and I don't belong to the gym to have access to the machine. What did you do?

I only do the MWF of the basic program. On TTh I do Stronglifts. I googled pull up alternative and found this exercise which I think I would try-

http://youtu.be/Sfp7NPY5sBw

There are other options if you google - pull-up alternative exercise at home.
  • jmoreno8680
    jmoreno8680 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Congrats thats an amazing transformation! Better Than Yesterday!
  • fanncy0626
    Options
    Stronglift Workout A
    Squat-1X5X 55/65/75/85/95, 5X5X 100
    BP-1X5X 55/65/75, 5X5X 85
    BR-5X5X85

Kettlebell Swing
    Russian kettle bell swing- 23X5X35

Walk 1,000 Miles Challenge
    3 miles
  • fanncy0626
    Options
    Stronglift Rest Day

Kettlebell Swing
    Goblet squat- 3X5X 40
    Russian kettle bell swing-19 X7X 40
    Week four, day one of transitioning from the 35-40 pound kettle bell.

Walk 1,000 Miles Challenge
    3 miles
  • loveswalking
    loveswalking Posts: 354 Member
    Options
    fanncy0626: Were you not afraid to start this on your own for fear of making your back and neck problems worst without out the help of a PT?
  • fanncy0626
    edited September 2016
    Options
    Loveswalking - with as slow as I have gone with this. I have always worked out in some form. Mostly cardio. Weightlifting and swinging the kettle bell has only strengthen my bones and muscles.
  • loveswalking
    loveswalking Posts: 354 Member
    Options
    Thanks for getting back to me so soon.
  • Vanisle
    Vanisle Posts: 5 Member
    edited September 2016
    Options
    I am truly inspired by this thread which I only found just today . I am going to start tomorrow and will update you on how I do ! Thank you so much for sharing . Do you do IF on the weekends also or is it all day that you do your eating ? Also I see you stick to under 30 carbs on week days but I was wondering if you have anything at all to eat or drink from 9Pm till your 5 Pm feed? Do you have any fats in the morning? What time of day do you do your lifting?
    Thanks
  • Madux1818
    Madux1818 Posts: 307 Member
    Options
    Thank you for sharing Fanncy. Do you do your workouts at home or at the gym?
  • fanncy0626
    Options
    Vanisle- I'm so excited for you! Keep me informed as to how well you do. Weekends are free days. I still try to monitor amounts. But that is when I have my donuts and pizza. And I don't fast. During the week I will drink water when I do my exercise in the morning. I weight lift and swing the Kettlebell at home. Very seldom I will work out in the evening or later and that is usually depended on if there was an early morning appointment.

Madox- I'm glad to share! I work out at home usually in the morning.
  • exermom
    exermom Posts: 6,344 Member
    Options
    Our gym doesn't have kettlebells and I don't know that I can invest that much into multiple kettlebells. Will a dumbbell work?
  • fanncy0626
    Options
    exermom wrote: »
    Our gym doesn't have kettlebells and I don't know that I can invest that much into multiple kettlebells. Will a dumbbell work?

You will be so excited that you do this program. It will definitely tone your tummy! A dumbbell will work to get you started. If you progress you will want to eventually get the kettle bell. You can start out with a 10 pound dumbbell hold it around one end with both of your hands. Start the five-week basic program and work on correct form. As you noticed I only do the Monday Wednesday Friday workout from that program because I do Stronglifts the other days which include presses. For the pull-ups there are alternative exercise that you can Google to improve those muscles. The presses are easy to do with a dumbbell.
  • fanncy0626
    Options
    If anyone wants to join me I am doing 17 day keto diet. You ask why just 17 days, because I will be going on vacation after that and I know I will be eating more than I should and want to cleanse my body first. You can look up HFLC, or LCHF and get information on what to eat. Here are a few articles to get you started.

http://ketodietapp.com/Blog/post/2015/01/03/Keto-Diet-Food-List-What-to-Eat-and-Avoid

https://thetruthaboutcancer.com/ketogenic-diet-weakens-cancer-cells/

http://www.ketogenic-diet-resource.com/support-files/kd-basics.pdf
  • luvstheocean
    luvstheocean Posts: 191 Member
    Options
    @fanncy0626 Wow.. What amazing results you have had! I am inspired to pick up a kettle bell!
  • fanncy0626
    Options
    @fanncy0626 Wow.. What amazing results you have had! I am inspired to pick up a kettle bell!

You will not be disappointed! I love the results and how strong I feel. I feel as though my skeletal system is strengthening as well.
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!