Update Stronglifts and Kettlebell transformation! Pictures!

Options

Replies

• sammydub2016
    sammydub2016 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Hi, I wanted to thank you for your inspiration! I have 40lbs to loose. I can run and have purchased a 18lb kettle bell ( and read pavels book) i just need help with the math. How many times do i swing the bell?
  • fanncy0626
    fanncy0626 Posts: 7,112 Member
    Options
    Hi, I wanted to thank you for your inspiration! I have 40lbs to loose. I can run and have purchased a 18lb kettle bell ( and read pavels book) i just need help with the math. How many times do i swing the bell?

Use this beginner program from pg one of this thread. I still use it to continue to increase the weight amount. I was derailed due to a shoulder injury but have since started back up!

http://www.muscleandfitness.com/workouts/workout-routines/5-week-whole-body-single-kettlebell-workout

Look at the videos for correct form. I use an app on my iPhone called Swing Timer. 20 seconds work time 40 seconds Rest equals 1 minute intervals.

Mary
  • sfa90
    sfa90 Posts: 105 Member
    Options
    I love the kettlebell, but I always get pain in my shoulders :(
  • fanncy0626
    Options
    sfa90 wrote: »
    I love the kettlebell, but I always get pain in my shoulders :(

This may help.

http://livehealthy.chron.com/kettlebells-sore-shoulders-5095.html
  • sfa90
    Options
    Thanks!
  • fanncy0626
    edited January 2017
    Options
    Thanks!

I just wanted to add that another issue that I was pre-warned about was swing height. A lot of people swing the Kettlebell pass chest high. The Russian kettle bell swing video at the beginning of this thread will showed you how to do the swing correctly. Sometimes people Swing at eye level or above and that can cause issues with the shoulder.
  • nord51
    nord51 Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    Fancy-You are so inspiring and supportive, thank you. I started keto a week ago and have always had the goal of adding in SL 5x5. I was thinking I might start with the kettlebell program and add strong lifts later (rather then the other way around) because I havent worked out for years and I dont want to burn out but rather slip into it slowly. What do you think?
  • fanncy0626
    Options
    Thanks! The kettle bell is an excellent tool to build strength that will help you with the strong lift routine. I work out at home and bought my own weight lifting equipment. The beginner five-week kettle bell workout has exercises with the kettle bell that are using the same muscles as strong lift. Swinging the kettle bell can only help when you do decide to do Stronglift you will be much stronger.
  • azsundancer
    azsundancer Posts: 1,140 Member
    Options
    fanncy0626 wrote: »
    Thanks!

I just wanted to add that another issue that I was pre-warned about was swing height. A lot of people swing the Kettlebell pass chest high. The Russian kettle bell swing video at the beginning of this thread will showed you how to do the swing correctly. Sometimes people Swing at eye level or above and that can cause issues with the shoulder.

This is exactly why my shoulders were overly sore and I have been leary to swing again. I upped my weight then got overly aggresive with my swing form. I need to watch the video and correct this. Thanks!!!
  • nord51
    nord51 Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    Thank you, you are my inspiration!!
  • sammydub2016
    sammydub2016 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Thank you !!
  • sfa90
    Options
    fanncy0626 wrote: »
    Thanks!

Hmm yes, I also swing at eye level. Tomorrow I will watch the video and start again swinging, because I really enjoy doing it. Thanks for the advice!
  • Wednesday87
    Wednesday87 Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    You look amazing! Congrats! And thank you for the inspiration! :smile:
  • Doinitin2015
    Doinitin2015 Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    Bump
  • Charlenelindsay5
    Charlenelindsay5 Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    This inspired me enough to go grab a kettlebell to try it out, though my confidence isn't high enough to try stronglifts yet lol

A couple questions though...

1) did I understand correctly that your suggestion is swings and squats on day a and squats and push on day b?

2) how would you count this under exercise? Does it burn enough calories to give extra or is it considered strength training? I know you said you don't exactly count but for those of us that do...
  • fanncy0626
    Options
    This inspired me enough to go grab a kettlebell to try it out, though my confidence isn't high enough to try stronglifts yet lol

A couple questions though...

1) did I understand correctly that your suggestion is swings and squats on day a and squats and push on day b?

2) how would you count this under exercise? Does it burn enough calories to give extra or is it considered strength training? I know you said you don't exactly count but for those of us that do...

1. When I do the kettle bell workout I only do Day A because of my Stronglift routine. With my StrongLifts routine I do the other suggested swings for Day B using the barbell and weights.
    2. It is a strength training exercise so it has the muscle afterburn which doesn't register on the heart rate monitor. According to Pavel Tsatsouline you burn between 20–25 cal per minute just like weightlifting. On MFP I was only able to enter it under cardio exercise and not the strength training because I could not open the strength training category on my iPhone. During that one minute interval your work time it's only around 15 seconds. And you are burning between 20–25 cal per minute. Get the swing timer app for your phone.
  • Charlenelindsay5
    Charlenelindsay5 Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    Thank you!
  • croftie4
    croftie4 Posts: 221 Member
    edited March 2017
    Options
    You look so amazing - finally a real role model. It's hard to find success stories of women who use heavy kettlebells. I'm 44, with 4 children and now have me time as they are all at school. Currently 165lbs. 5ft 6 I really enjoy kettlebells and really want to progress with them.

I am currently using an 8kg/17lbs but don't find it hard now so yesturday just ordered a 12kg should I just order a 16kg/35lb now or both.

I'm so excited to have found your post and will read all your advice in detail again.

• jbelles0820
    jbelles0820 Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    You are an inspiration! I will check out those resources. I am not a cardio fan, but I do love lifting weights. Thanks for telling us your story, it is obviously motivational, especially for those of us over 50!
  • fanncy0626
    Options
    croftie4 wrote: »
    You look so amazing - finally a real role model. It's hard to find success stories of women who use heavy kettlebells. I'm 44, with 4 children and now have me time as they are all at school. Currently 165lbs. 5ft 6 I really enjoy kettlebells and really want to progress with them.

I am currently using an 8kg/17lbs but don't find it hard now so yesturday just ordered a 12kg should I just order a 16kg/35lb now or both.

I'm so excited to have found your post and will read all your advice in detail again.

Thanks! I ordered a set of 3, 40, 45, and 50lbs from Walmart for only $120 which was really cheap! All metal no rubber horn as they wear and can cause issues. I go slow and it takes 10 weeks for me to progress up to the next size. I'm coming off of a muscle pull to my shoulder non workout related so working my way back up! If you need any information let me know!
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!