Update Stronglifts and Kettlebell transformation! Pictures!

Options

Replies

• fanncy0626
    fanncy0626 Posts: 7,112 Member
    Options
    @jbelles0820 thanks. I plan on lifting and swinging into my 90's!
  • croftie4
    croftie4 Posts: 221 Member
    Options
    So I very excitedly I started the kettlebell workout. I used my 8kg, I know it's day 1 but I did it and had energy left to do more. Should I go straight to the 12kg not sure how many swings I could do but have been using it at the gym (swings) only but in recent weeks as part of a larger routine of different moves. I get out of breath swinging it even just for 10 swings.

• fanncy0626
    Options
    croftie4 wrote: »
    So I very excitedly I started the kettlebell workout. I used my 8kg, I know it's day 1 but I did it and had energy left to do more. Should I go straight to the 12kg not sure how many swings I could do but have been using it at the gym (swings) only but in recent weeks as part of a larger routine of different moves. I get out of breath swinging it even just for 10 swings.

Here is the workout routine that I follow all the way through two week four. Then I would start back at week one doing 10 swings instead of the seven that you did up until that point. Go back to the first page of this thread there is videos on form that you might be interested in.

http://www.muscleandfitness.com/workouts/workout-routines/5-week-whole-body-single-kettlebell-workout

• croftie4
    Options
    Thanks so much and WOW what a fast response
  • 2011rocket3touring
    2011rocket3touring Posts: 1,346 Member
    Options
    Wow. Just simply wow.
  • Mesemoore
    Mesemoore Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    I love your translation. Hope to get where you are. You are one of my inspiration to start waight training. What was your diet during this transformation? Is body pump similar to strong lift? I just started doing body combat 2x a week and body pump 2x a week, will that be enough? My waight fluctuat between 141-145. I am trying to lose 10 pounds of fat if possible. I usually work out 2 to 4 times a week in the past and eat clean but have not lost a pound yet. I am hoping the body pump class ( waight training) will change that.
    Thank you in advance for your feed back.
  • fanncy0626
    edited March 2017
    Options
    I love your translation. Hope to get where you are. You are one of my inspiration to start waight training. What was your diet during this transformation? Is body pump similar to strong lift? I just started doing body combat 2x a week and body pump 2x a week, will that be enough? My waight fluctuat between 141-145. I am trying to lose 10 pounds of fat if possible. I usually work out 2 to 4 times a week in the past and eat clean but have not lost a pound yet. I am hoping the body pump class ( waight training) will change that.

Thank you! Weight training and the Kettlebell definitely melt fat off of your body. When I am not trying to lose weight I eat around 1400 to 1600 cal plus. When I am doing a cut. I eat at a deficit of around 1250. I also have an eating Keto lately since I am in a cut situation now. I work out 6 to 7 times a week usually seven. I do strong lifts every other day and the Kettlebell every day. It all depends on what you are working toward. I am working toward 10% body fat. Then I will focus on building more muscle. I have never done any of the workouts that you are referring to. Good luck! You do need to find out what you love doing and that way you will for sure do it.
  • croftie4
    edited March 2017
    Options

Hi I do Bodypump and was really excited about it but although you can go up to say 25kg (each end) that's it. It did get me interested in heavy lifting though. I have been using kettlebells for a few years but never pushing myself beyond 8kg.

Then last week found this thread. Fantastic!!!! I had never thought of going heavy with kettlebells. I

Last few days I've been using a 12kg and 16kg. I'm so loving that I can go that much heavier but with kettlebells.

I've decided to drop Bodypump has the heavier KB's will seriously improve my strength and I don't think I'll gain much from Bodypump classes once that happens. You can do loads with KB's and although I've used KB for a few years, since increasing the weight just after few days I can already feel and see the difference. I've taken photo's that I can compare after a month.

• aletaforeman
    aletaforeman Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    Amazing transformation. I too have just turned 59 and late last year diagnosed with diabetes. I have had hypertension since age 38 (even when I was much, much thinner - genetically predisposed); with the diagnosis I decided I wasn't taking this lying down. I was already a member of MyFitnessPal but did not really stick with it. I have been doing much better keeping track and have lost 17lb so far. Years ago I had purchased a very good book called Feed the Muscle, Burn the Fat and it has been helpful too. Keeping a journal of ones food intake, exercise is the key to keeping on track. Also having support (from others) has been helpful (my friend is also now using Fitness Pal and has lost 28lb. We support each other. I do like using the kettle ball but haven't used it consistently; your example stirs me on to include it whenever I am working out. I do also use cardio - walking both to warm up and cool down as this is an overall exercise which is helpful with diabetes.

In any case, you truly are an inspiration!
  • fanncy0626
    Options
    Amazing transformation. I too have just turned 59 and late last year diagnosed with diabetes. I have had hypertension since age 38 (even when I was much, much thinner - genetically predisposed); with the diagnosis I decided I wasn't taking this lying down. I was already a member of MyFitnessPal but did not really stick with it. I have been doing much better keeping track and have lost 17lb so far. Years ago I had purchased a very good book called Feed the Muscle, Burn the Fat and it has been helpful too. Keeping a journal of ones food intake, exercise is the key to keeping on track. Also having support (from others) has been helpful (my friend is also now using Fitness Pal and has lost 28lb. We support each other. I do like using the kettle ball but haven't used it consistently; your example stirs me on to include it whenever I am working out. I do also use cardio - walking both to warm up and cool down as this is an overall exercise which is helpful with diabetes.

In any case, you truly are an inspiration!

It sounds like you have all the right tools to be very successful! I lift, swing the Kettlebell and walk. I do know that losing weight and exercise has helped me a lot of people get off of their diabetes medication. That would be great if that happened for you. Since you read that book are you eating a somewhat high protein lower carb diet? I just started eating Keto for health reasons. That really burns the fat for me. That is high fat low carb diet. But I do know they have a low-carb group on here that might be something you might be interested in. Very supportive people.
  • pennygm72
    pennygm72 Posts: 179 Member
    Options
    Just wanted to say that having been inspired by all the posts here I have just bought my first ever kettlebell, starting at 4kg to be safe and very excited to start tonight. Can I just ask what kind of warm up/ stretch you should do before lifting?
  • fanncy0626
    Options
    pennygm72 wrote: »
    Just wanted to say that having been inspired by all the posts here I have just bought my first ever kettlebell, starting at 4kg to be safe and very excited to start tonight. Can I just ask what kind of warm up/ stretch you should do before lifting?

I just follow the program and the goblet squats are supposed to be the warm-up for your muscles all of them. After you do this you will see what I mean. I am so happy that you are starting this. You will have amazing results. Good luck!
  • pennygm72
    Options
    fanncy0626 wrote: »
    pennygm72 wrote: »

I just follow the program and the goblet squats are supposed to be the warm-up for your muscles all of them. After you do this you will see what I mean. I am so happy that you are starting this. You will have amazing results. Good luck!

Thank you, as I said I'm very excited, a kettlebell workout will suit me very well, I'm a single full time working mother, gym membership is simply not an option with no-one to look after my young children but I can do this at home
  • vjambois
    vjambois Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the post @fanncy0626, you've made awesome progress!

I've been doing KB for about 3 weeks now and was searching to find other fellow KBs on MFP and came across this awesome thread. I'm starting Simple and Sinister (Swings and Turkish get up program) tomorrow and I would recommend anyone who is interested in KB to check it out because there's A LOT that goes into proper form and what not. Pavel also gives plenty of instruction on size weights and how to progress.

Thanks for the link to the 5-week program, I think I will add that in as well.
  • fanncy0626
    Options
    @vjambois thanks! I was just looking online how to become certified trainer for StrongFirst which is the program developed by Pavel's training partner since he came to the US. Very intense but I am going to become certified eventually!
  • pennygm72
    Options
    That's fantastic @fanncy0626 , you are such a strong advocate of his work, I wish you every success!
  • Dhathri
    Dhathri Posts: 323 Member
    Options
    What I just need, Thanks!
  • psychedmom
    psychedmom Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    Awesome!
  • kenzienal
    kenzienal Posts: 205 Member
    Options
    Is there a mobile app for these Kettleball workouts?

Youre results are amazing and I am VERY interested in getting into a similar routine!

I have never lifted nor done Kettleball swings, so any advice would be great.
  • fanncy0626
    Options
    kenzienal wrote: »
    Is there a mobile app for these Kettleball workouts?

Youre results are amazing and I am VERY interested in getting into a similar routine!

I have never lifted nor done Kettleball swings, so any advice would be great.

Thank you! I think all the advice that I could give you is already on this thread there are videos that you can watch and links to other information. There is no mobile app with the workout that I can think of. I do suggest getting the Swing Timer so that you can set it to signal the beginning of each interval for each of your sets. Then I just usually watch TV while I'm doing this.
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!