WOMEN AGES 50+ FOR SEPTEMBER 2016

Options

Replies

• Katla49
    Katla49 Posts: 10,385 Member
    Options
    Vicki: My parents had dentures from early in life and a good fit is the essential element. I wish you luck. :smiley:

Sue: I googled Agricultural vinegar and found lots of sites. You can buy it on Amazon and many places. I've used household vinegar on mint and also on other weeds with good results. There are lots of recipes on the net. :smiley:

Pip: I love the photos of Kirby in his Bike MS shirt. :bigsmile:

Brenda from Tampa: Welcome to a great group! :flowerforyou:

I had a good day. I went for a walk with one neighbor and visited with another neighbor. Later this afternoon I harvested some of my cherry tomatoes & cut back part of the enormous plant. I need to do something with the tomatoes I have & then will harvest some more.

DH is moving much better since he quit taking baclofen. He's happier and more optimistic. He still has MS but he feels better than he did and he is walking better. This is very good news & we're both happier than we've been in a while.

Katla in Beautiful NW Oregon

“Our greatest weakness lies in giving up. The most certain way to succeed is always to try just one more time.” Thomas A. Edison
  • GodMomKim
    GodMomKim Posts: 3,632 Member
    Options
    Hi Gals,

Miriam – I love hearing that the oldest daughter is interested and wants stuff… I don’t have much but no idea who will want stuff, there is only one person in the next generation a boy who is just 18 and doesn’t show much interest yet, but my god daughter (not blood) might be interested in a few items.

Heather – so glad someone else is already in a 2017 calendar I got mine in June, and some days in 2017 are full already…

Pip – great shirts! And camp site, and kirby’s earring, and the shirt he has on….

Maryann – I haven’t seen a post from you in ages! Welcome back.

Barbie – what a mixed blessing ! but after the weeks of recovery there will be dog walks, dancing, and riding the exercise bike all without pain!!

Lisa – how disturbing but love the motel bit.

Janice – this will sound weird but I enjoyed having something that was a “regular” and realizing how many calories it was, it helped me evaluate the dish, is it worth that many calories? If not try something else if yes how can I have it still – ½ each day? ¼ each day?

Rori – sounds like there will some fun along with the work.

Ok Gals, looking for some input (newbies I’ll try to give enough info) There are changes in my work world and I am trying to figure out how to respond, so I garden 5 mornings a week (3 days at camp, 2 days at clients, then in the afternoons, evenings I run my machine embroidery business, and then on the occasional evening and/or weekend I teach cooking classes. The cooking classes are the issue. So I teach via our local city recreation department, I have been there since 2008, it is as an outside contractor, so I decide on classes and cost, then work with the rec dept to set the time and they take a cut to provide the building, the advertising and deal with payment. So it has gone along just fine, until they got new management in 2014, a few weird changes, 2015 was worse and this year is nuts! So there is a handbook that is 200 pages we get tested on, I have to sign contracts in person and instead of one a quarter there is one per class…TB testing, fingerprinting, I have to buy insurance via them, but they just want to take it out of my checking account and tell me after how much it is.. the latest change is that no classes can be offered on the weekend and they all have to finish by 8pm during the week… so a dinner class is supposed to be from 5-8 on a Wednesday - this is a class on cooking for one, geared to newly single – What single person can get out of work by 4pm to get to a cooking class at 5pm? I live in a bedroom community and most everyone I know has at least a 45 minute commute to work. And no weekend classes??????????? So quit, right? BUT I love teaching, and I get to write off tons of ingredients as I figure out menus for the classes I want to teach… I can’t find anywhere else to teach with out being a real full fledged chef… and I am just a home cook. Ok writing this out makes me realize that this is stupid, I should just quit. Thanks.

September Goals:
    2 fun things a week, Lizard saving, gardening in my own yard
    Log everyday to the best I can, over if need be.
    11,000 + steps everyday
    Work on water consumption -

Smiles.

Kim from N. California
  • klanders30
    klanders30 Posts: 2,569 Member
    Options
    kim. Sounds like the new Rec contractor is gonna get a lot of push back from other instructors as well! If the new contractors are unwilling to be flexible with your class time you are gonna lose students. How frustrating!!

I would soooo love to be in one of your cooking classes. I get the feeling you are selling yourself short when saying you are "just" a home cook!! Yikes, most folks eat drive thru take out, processed junk!!! I can just imagine you holding events in someone's kitchen --like a community room in a church somewhere or even some one's home or backyard kitchen. As a free lancer you always have to be ready to expand or change your gig-if the $$, hassle and opportunity for students is gone maybe that is a sign to change it up with what is an awesome class. Just my humble opinion. I can hear how much you like this! And it is frustrating that it is changing. NYKAREN
  • lhannon062709
    lhannon062709 Posts: 1,140 Member
    Options
    Morning, all... just waiting for the DH to rise and stumble through for his coffee. They're predicting rain by noon, which I'm kind of hoping for. I understand that his overtime hours start this morning... but he's already worked 40 hours in four days, and he's tired. I guess I was too... slept six and a half hours straight through, without any form of sleep aid. Very unusual, but welcome. I chalk it up to the workouts--they make a huge difference for so many things. Why do I always forget that and stop? Laziness, I guess, I don't know.

Anyway, the DH starts his new job Monday, YAY, I'm so pleased! On the purely selfish side, it puts me where I'm in a position to be working because I want to, not because I have to--it's a power thing, I'm thinking. But I put up with stupid stuff a lot easier when I can ask myself if it's worth leaving over. And there's always stupid stuff.

Ah, he just walked through. Is there anything yummier than a man in nothing but a pair of shorts and a mustache? And, of course, the sleep shorts are the ones with Minions on them. Bought them as a joke one Christmas, and he loves them. His sense of the absurd is even more highly developed than mine.

Off to the races--out of jammies and off to the laundromat as soon as it's light. Then the gym, then back to the warehouse before the rain, one hopes.

Love y'all... happy Saturday
    Lisa in West Texas
  • barbiecat
    barbiecat Posts: 16,924 Member
    Options
    :), When I've had a difficult decision to make, I've found that writing about it helps and that's exactly what you did and it helped you come to a conclusion...sometimes I divide a paper into four boxes--benefits of staying, burdens of staying, benefits of going, burdens of going----and as I write, something jumps off the page to tell me what to do....Life holds many surprises and there will be another way for you to express your talent and love for cooking without so much **** attached to the experience.

<3 Barbie

• miriamwithcats
    miriamwithcats Posts: 1,120 Member
    Options
    Kim, I am so sorry about the cooking class.

Go PIP!

Love to all. Get the grandkids AGAIN today (had them last weekend too!)!!! And I get them the 22nd as well! Yippee!
  • margaretturk
    margaretturk Posts: 5,056 Member
    Options
    :heart:
  • cityjaneLondon
    cityjaneLondon Posts: 12,217 Member
    Options
    Hi all! A quick HELLO from Brighton /Hove!
    All hectic but good. DS is building a playhouse for the garden. Phew!

Love Heather UK xxxxxxx
  • KJLaMore
    KJLaMore Posts: 2,830 Member
    Options
    Hello all! Happy Saturday! Yesterday with the kiddos was an equally rough day. I think, maybe, it is the change in schedule. Back to school schedules for most of them. Some of the parents are teachers, so the kids are getting up and moving earlier to get to daycare, some are preparing to begin pre-school so are a bit on edge, there is always a "jockeying" for position among the littles in the fall, as the biggers head off to school. Anyway! I/we all made it through the day, none the worse for wear. I drove the half hour last night to visit my brother at Holland State Park (campsite 68). It is a half hour drive from my house; but far better than the hour and a half to his home. ANYWAY...I got all of the way there...and texted him "Where exactly is your site?" Because I didn't want to be driving around the whole park. He told me that it is right next to the channel. Hello...there is absolutely NO camping by the channel. I told him so, by text. Me: "Kev, I am sitting here, parked in the Holland beach lot. There is no camping near the channel. Do you mean you are closest to the channel?" Kevin:" What are you doing in Holland? Oh God! Did I tell you Holland?! We are at Grand Haven State Park!" Seriously?! 10 minute drive from my home. :s So back to GH I drove, past my house, into town...my brother...good thing I love him so. I did have fun giving him hell for that all night.
    Pip-living vicariously through your adventures! May the wind be at your back! Or not blowing at all...we know how you love riding in the wind! ;)
    Allie- <3 My heart goes out to you and to your friend's wife/family!
    Kim- Whether the hassle of fingerprinting, background checks is worth it to you, is entirely up to you to decide. I can definitely see a downside to the restricted hours. If you really enjoy teaching the cooking classes, I am wondering if you have a local business that sells cookwear or appliances, that will let you do demos in their store. My town is pretty small, also, but there are three of our local appliance/kitchen stores that have "classes and demo days". They hold them to boost the sales of their products and it seems to work. DH and I have had a couple of date nights at cooking class. It is a fun thing to do with friends. We book online through the store's site. Something that might work for you...Good luck!
    Looks like rain today. Believe it or not, I am really looking forward to cooler weather so that my grass stops growing so fast. I will need to mow again this weekend. I can think of a hundred better things to do with three hours! Blah. Oh well, calories burned are calories burned, right?
  • pipcd34
    pipcd34 Posts: 16,553 Member
    Options
  • KetoneKaren
    KetoneKaren Posts: 6,411 Member
    Options
    Happy travels all, big trips and small, particularly Janetr, Pip, and Heather! And I will include Penny because she is always traveling about, much to our mutual delight, right ladies?

My gaggle of gabbing gals (borrowing from Re's style) has progressed from Southwest Nebraska to Estes Park, Colorado (waving to Rori and other Colorado MFPers). The altitude here is around 7500 feet. I am used to about 1000 feet. I am fine but keeping hydrated and going slower than usual and a tiny bit headache-y this morning despite no alcohol.

My friend in Estes has a 3600 sq ft lodge-style home with a view. Oh my goodness! It is so lovely. We are touring the Stanley Hotel this morning and trekking (slowly) around today, then going out to dinner tonight. We disband tomorrow morning, a short trip but a wonderful one.

I have known these women for almost 50 years. We do have a good time when we get together.

Sending my love and hugs to you all, and particularly to those who are facing worries, health problems, financial problems, etc. Together we are stronger!

Karen in Virginia
  • janetr7476
    janetr7476 Posts: 4,001 Member
    Options
    Katla - you are right, most all RV parks have free WiFi, if not we have our own "hot spot" but of course that costs us data usage on the cell phone bill.

Beautiful and cool this morning. We drove by The Pioneer Woman's ranch yesterday. For those of you not familiar, she has a cooking show on TV and lots of cook books.

Rash is getting worse, have tried taking Benedryl, and using a steroid ointment. May have to find a clinic and have it looked at. It's definitely not shingles.

Janetr okc
  • ilikegardens
    ilikegardens Posts: 134 Member
    Options
    Karen in Virginia (temporarily CO), What a lovely time you're having! It sounds wonderful.

kjlamore, Loved the story about your brother and the campground. Funny!

Kim, I'm glad you decided you should quit. The management sounds incompetent at best and possibly shady. No one should demand to take the insurance out of your checking account without you knowing the amount. About the hours, I thought, "maybe they want to save costs," but the decision seems contradictory to their mission as a rec center. And having people sign contracts for every class requires more work and is incredibly inefficient. It also puts you at financial risk if you buy the food, since you would have to do so ahead of time. I'm assuming that people sign up for a series of classes? Background checks and finger printing sound irritating, but they're increasingly common in our world.

Michelle, My DH went on a business trip recently and he needed a water bottle because he was walking in the heat. So he bought one that read, "If a man says he'll do something, he will. There's no reason to remind him every six months!" The story of my life with this DH...

KarenE
  • fanncy0626
    fanncy0626 Posts: 7,118 Member
    Options
    Stronglift Workout A
    Squats-1X5X 55/65/75/85/95, 5X5X 100
    BP-1X5X 55/65/75, 5X5X 85
    BR-5X5X 85

Kettlebell Swing
    Russian kettle bell swing-23X 10 X 35

Walk 1,000 Miles Challenge
    5 miles

<3

Mary from Minnesota
  • blumenstockbj
    blumenstockbj Posts: 94 Member
    Options
    Good Saturday morning to everyone

I'm late for logging in for September but really enjoyed the group in August and reading everyone's comments gives me encouragement which I really need right now.

I want to increase my steps up to 4000 daily.
    I know that don't sound like a lot I had a stroke in April and need to increase my walking and steps more.

I want to increase stationary bike by 30 minutes and do one hour daily.

I'm not going to worry about the weight this month, hoping with the increase of activity the wait will still come down.

Good luck to everyone this month with their goals.

Barb Bee Indiana

• frankiesgirl21
    frankiesgirl21 Posts: 235 Member
    Options
    Michele- girl you are a workout Machine! Do you own these videos or stream them?

About Vince- I wonder if this is some man gene? I waited 2 years for a 4' piece of quarter round in my laundry room. The easiest way to install 1/4 rd is with a pneumatic nailer. You can probably rent one and a compressor. Just make sure it handles the right size nails (some are framing and some are for finishing etc) you can do it by hand but it takes longer and you have a greater chance of splitting it. It takes longer to paint measure and cut than to install. We did our whole second floor at once. First I measured exactly how many feet. Then we went and got it and I painted it all. DH and buddy cut all the pieces and laid them where they would go. A friend offered us is gun compressor and even the nails! So the final installation wAs literally a couple hours! A tube of caulk works wonders for tiny imprfections caused by tuning nit being perfectly square or level. Of course DH was sure I wanted too much 1/4 and bought 1piece less than I said and of course we had to go back and get one more. I have done math for a living every day of my life so I don't know why he thought I couldn't measure and add! LOL! But honestly every single project we have ever started took a minimum of 3 years and I am not sure any of them is complete but maybe that is because life is itself a wor in process! And so are men come to think of it........

Becca- I know how you feel about your family situation. We have gone through the same with one of my DSiL. It can be so hard and emotional. At one point we all avoiding having family get togethers because she was so difficult to be around. She seems to be doing pretty well this last year and we speculate about the changes but I am afraid that is long story too. Meantime just keep the faith and remember her issues are not yours. It sounds harsh and unfeeling but it is not. Sending you a hug! Keep up the great exercise. And have a tequila now and then if you want! ;)
  • frankiesgirl21
    frankiesgirl21 Posts: 235 Member
    Options
    Rats after two good days I forgot to sign again..... Grrrr.... :s

TRACEY in PA

Forecast 94 again today......sheesh!
  • SSC1958
    SSC1958 Posts: 411 Member
    Options

Go Pip Go!

Barbie: Sorry to hear about the surgery but what a relief it must be to know that the pain will be temporary.

Janetr: If the rash is worse, going to the clinic is probably the best action. I hope this stops soon.

Barb Bee: Slow and steady wins the race :)

Managed to catch up on the posts, thinking about you all. ((HUGS))

Goal for September: Do a better job of meal planning!

Carey - Northern Alberta
  • tammytylerjones
    tammytylerjones Posts: 109 Member
    Options
    HI All, I haven't been on this forum in ages... but wow! It's still going strong... Have a question.. Have any of you read Bob Harper's book? ... and what do you think about the no carbs (bread, rice, pasta etc ... not fruit and veggies) after lunch? It's an intriguing thought for a carb lover like myself.... thoughts?
  • Katla49
    Katla49 Posts: 10,385 Member
    Options
    DJ: Buying a saddle is a possibility but I am a person who is slow to make decisions and live in an Oregon community of people who operate on "Hawaiian time." As it turns out, I seem to operate on Hawaiian time, too. :ohwell: ("Don't worry, Be happy.")

Barbie: Will you be able to use your exercise bike fairly soon after surgery, or will that take some time, too? I was thinking about doggy treadmills I've seen and thinking about your poodles beside you on a treadmill while you are on the exercise bike. I looked for just the right smiley but no luck. :grumble:

Kim: I'm sorry the recreation department changes are so frustrating. Have you contacted your city recreation department and inquire about the reasons for the change? If it is simply somebody stepping in to a new job and wanting to show they're making a difference, a write-in campaign from your students could help. If there is another reason behind it, you deserve to know what it is. Alternatively, some of your students could complain or you could offer private lessons at home or in some kitchen supply store. Home would be a last resort for me because I'd be reluctant to allow strangers in my house. (((HUGS))) I see that KJ had a similar idea.

Karen: I went to a teaching workshop in Estes Park years ago. I had low-grade headaches due to altitude, and drinking extra water helped. We went up to Continental Divide one day, and I did fine going up, but developed a really nasty headache & nausea coming back down. Best advice is to drink as much water as you can stand. It does help. :smiley:

Janet: I wonder whether your rash is a contact allergy caused by unfamilar laundry products. I hope you can get a resolution promptly. Good luck. :heart:

Barb Bee in IN: I hope your strategy works to help you feel better. I've found that I need to count calories. If I increase exercise without counting calories I seem to increase eating enough to stay at the same weight or go up. Good luck to you. :flowerforyou:

Since my riding lesson has been moved to Sunday I will be attending the Homeowners meeting this afternoon. I've let people know that I'm willing to take on a position if need be, but I'm happy to let someone else do it so that I can be responsibility free. :bigsmile:

Have a great day.

Katla on "Hawaiian time" in Beautiful NW Oregon

"So many of us believe in perfection, which ruins everything else, because the perfect is not only the enemy of the good; it's also the enemy of the realistic, the possible and the fun."