WOMEN AGES 50+ FOR SEPTEMBER 2016

Options

Replies

• grandmallie
    grandmallie Posts: 9,804 Member
    Options
    morning ladies~
    I am up , slept in my room as Tom has a nasty cold and am staying away..
    DJ~ yes I am on Tom's insurance but we both have a $5,500 deductible before they pay 80/20 for anything..
    we had a go around, not so much a yelling match about the 2 different nephrologist's the one i was going to charged 106.00 a visit this was my initial visit to the second one and it was 500.00 so he was having a cow about that.. when I have time I will call down to Yale and ask if that will be the fee everytime I go, if so ,I will have to change back to my other Dr..
    Thinking of both Barbie and Kay today and will keep them close to my heart all day today..
  • klanders30
    klanders30 Posts: 2,569 Member
    Options
    re sounds like you are on the right track--your vacation is a part of your new lifestyle not a chance to go off the rails. Good for you, enjoy all that happy goodness!!

Thinking of everybody with health concerns and remembering to count my blessings :)

Going to say yes to a social thing this weekend, just cause I want to say yes more often to social things--just want to make sure I handle the aftermath of social anxiety, which usually involves overdoing it with eating --curiously enough I don't overdo it during the social --but after I am off the rails! :# i guess it is how I handle the stress by eating my feelings afterwards. I am just gonna watch carefully and mindfully. I will check in with you all about it --supposed to travel up New England to meet up with a wonderful young teacher that I mentored- it is the drive back and the day after -Sunday- that I am most gonna have to watch.
    Thanks everyone for your support. NYKAREN
  • grandmallie
    edited September 2016
    Options
    Morning again Ladies~
    I have been feeling a little off kilter the last couple of days, and just don't understand why.. not physically, mentally .. I will not have any vacation time until the day after thanksgiving and will go up to the cape to visit my elderly friends, and that really isn't a vacation.. but just to check on them.. they are 89 and 85 respectively and don't know how long they will be with us.. then December 10th we leave for Florida..
    I am the biggest I have ever been and feel it.. dont eat right and need to get back into a right frame of mind.. I did it before and I can do it again, but have to get the wear with all to get back at it...
  • cityjaneLondon
    cityjaneLondon Posts: 12,355 Member
    Options
    NY KAREN - I know exactly what you mean about the danger being afterwards. I can do that too. :'( Recognising it is half the battle.

DH is on the phone to his sister. There is a family problem that they have to talk about, but some good news as well.

Mamma Mia was fabulous last night! :D We all did the singalong/dancing thing at the end and I've slightly strained my bad knee. :* I hope it clears up by Monday when we fly to Spain. I'm generally very off colour this morning because of the flu jab yesterday. I always get a reaction. I did manage to drag myself through the exercises this morning, but it was very hard going. I had to keep switching about as various muscles were getting tired.

DH has just finished his conversation. He came upstairs to chat to me about it. Family trauma pretty ghastly, but I hope he can cope. His sister has the major pressure. :'(:'(:'(

Got to tidy up for the valuer today. I think DH is going to nip out to get his hair cut earlier.

Love Heather UK xxxxxxx

PS Thinking of all the surgeries etc today. <3 My friends in our old high school group have had two husband's with bone breakages. :sad: Somewhat scuppers plans.
  • KJLaMore
    KJLaMore Posts: 2,836 Member
    Options
    Lurky, lurky! Busy mornings. Love and hugs to all! Thinking of Barbie, Katie, Lisa, and all who have a more trying day ahead! Wishing smooth sailings today for all!
  • KJLaMore
    KJLaMore Posts: 2,836 Member
    Options
    Michele- Lily Munster (Yvonne DeCarlo)! Her costume was a little more flowy and if you made it in black, could easily be a Morticia outfit!
  • pipcd34
    pipcd34 Posts: 16,712 Member
    Options
    morning peep-stirs
  • GRITSandSLUTSandWINOS
    GRITSandSLUTSandWINOS Posts: 2,573 Member
    edited September 2016
    Options
    Katla49 wrote: »
    Katla - Did you mean to say that 'cars are a bigger threat to DEER than hunters'? :| More deer are killed by cars each year than by hunters. Heard someone ask, 'then why don't the deer cross at the signs that read: "Deer Crossing" ... about found myself RITFLMAO!!! DUH! That just means they are deer crossing along that area; there isn't a yellow crosswalk there.

Lenora

I didn't have that in mind at all, although I see dead deer beside the roadways that have been hit by cars quite often in the spring & fall. The cars are a mess, too, and car occupants are sometimes hurt. This happened to one of my neighbors on her commute to work through a wooded area. Fortunately she was not seriously hurt. Cars are a threat to deer and dogs, and I suggested that dogs wear reflective jackets while hunting or walking with their owners in the early mornings or evenings when light conditions are less than optimal. It is a good idea for the owners to wear reflective clothing, too.

Katla in beautiful NW Oregon where the days are getting shorter.

I agree with you about making sure your pet wear a dayglow orange vest (or collar), ask well as people. Saw a commercial of this black guy getting ready to go biking in the rain where he is pulling up a black rain suit without any reflective tape or anything that would make him visible, at all to cars. I cannot think of what they are advertising (maybe an apple something that he can hook to his handlebars; but, it isn't a very good message. If the hunter is a good one; he won't shoot until he sees what he is shooting at. But, that can be dangerous, if he doesn't wait until he can see what he is shooting at, it could be another hunter. That, quite often, means they are an inexperienced hunter. Another thing my DH and DOS have told me, if a deer jumps out in front of is NOT TO SWERVE to try to miss it. You'll end up hitting a tree that won't be a giving as a deer body. My hairdresser's wife was following him home one night and a deer jumped in front of her, she swerved trying to miss it, ran off the road on the right, hit the ditch, turned over several times, crossed the road, hit another ditch and flipped over on the top and skidded 100 yards before hitting a tree. She was hurt so seriously that he ended up having to put her into a nursing home. That was year-before-last. She is having some serious PT and OT; because if she can speak or possibly be able to walk enough to get to the bathroom with help; he has 'help' lined up for her. He told me the last time I was in, she is responding to his voice; and, seems to recognize him. That is an improvement. They never had any children and he has been walking around totally lost. He almost cried when he was telling me about it. Said he never thought that he'd be spending Christmas all alone.

My DDnL#2, when she is at their lake place, has to drive into town (about 30 mile) and the first 11 is on a very winding, no lights country road; she has hit a raccoon and a coyote before. Says the raccoon was scary; and, she saw the coyote before hitting it, car was very damaged. A few months back, they bought her a VOLVO, which is one of the safest vehicles made. It has a steel bar that runs all the way around the cab (for lack of a better word).
    When you sit in it, you feel like you are sitting down really low in the car; but, I can understand why it would be very safe. She also needed a car that sat up higher than her Toyota, so she won't drag the bottom of it.

Took a short trip into town, very carefully. I might end up 'having' to take Cracker in tomorrow to board her for out trip. Driving is a bit scary ... really not supposed to be until November 15th; but, sometimes DH just cannot be in two places as once.

Lenora
  • pipcd34
    Options
  • grandmallie
    Options
    Thinking of you Barbie, and Kay!!!
  • margaretturk
    margaretturk Posts: 5,092 Member
    Options
    Alison I struggle too. Sounds like you are ready to make the changes you need to so for yourself to get on track.

Prayers for Barbie as you go through surgery today!

:heart: Margaret
  • fanncy0626
    fanncy0626 Posts: 7,152 Member
    Options
    Barbie and Drkatiebug - thinking of you both while you go through your procedures!

I went in for my recheck on the Lymes disease and anaplasmosis. Both of them have been eliminated. However, the Lymes disease has mutated and still needs to be addressed. So, four more months of treatment.

<3

Mary from Minnesota
  • suebdew
    suebdew Posts: 1,330 Member
    Options
    Good morning all. I had one of those bad nights and didn't fall asleep until after 3:30 AM. Think I was worried about going to WW. So I decided I was too tired to drive there this morning. What a mess I am, lol
    Check back in later to see what's up.
    SueBDew in TX
  • Katla49
    Katla49 Posts: 10,385 Member
    Options
    Michele: I miss NC Carol, too. I hope things are going well for her. :flowerforyou:

Lisa: Let the presses roll! Have a great day. :smiley:

Heather: I'm glad you enjoyed Mama Mia and hope your knee settles back into the good zone ASAP. I'm sorry that your DH has family worries again. :ohwell:

Barbie & Katie: You are both in my good thoughts and I'm praying your surgeons are at the very top of their skills today and every thing goes very well. :heart:

SueBDew in TX: You're smart to postpone a trip when you're too tired to drive. I hope you get the rest you need soon. :flowerforyou:

Our neighbor bought a bunch of salmon from a friend who is a commercial fisherman and DH bought the whole load from him. Yikes! We owe the neighbor a pile of cash & won't be in need of fresh fish for quite a long while. We got it partially processed yesterday but need to put into vacuum bags and freeze it today.

Katla in Beautiful NW Oregon

Tibetan proverb: "The secret to living well and long is: Eat half, walk double, laugh triple and love without measure..."
  • cityjaneLondon
    cityjaneLondon Posts: 12,355 Member
    Options
    Katla - It is the same trouble, from the same source, only it has got worse. :'(:'(:'( Horrible for the whole family.

Love Heather UK
  • megblair1
    megblair1 Posts: 1,222 Member
    Options
    Good morning friends. It’s nice and cool here today. There weren’t many responses that showed up after my post although the list page said there were 46, but I am only seeing about 8. That’s odd.

Barbie: not sure what your procedure is but I’m keeping my fingers and toes crossed for a successful outcome.

Pip: cute pups!

Dr. Katie Bug: uh oh! What is wrong?

Katla: how sad for the dogs! Around here other hunters get shot with great regularity. And while wearing their vests. Hmmmmmm

Well I am keeping those with health concerns in my thoughts and prayers and sending hugs to everyone. Meg from Omaha
  • Peach1948
    Peach1948 Posts: 2,473 Member
    Options
    (((Barbie, Kay, Marcylynn))) Good healing thoughts for all of you!

Michelle ~ You have inspired me to start exercising to Youtube videos. I can barely make it through a short one but it makes me feel good to have at least tried.

Regarding animals in the highway...Once when I was driving home from college when it was almost dusk a large pig came out of nowhere and ran into the side of my car. I slowed to a stop and looked back. He just lay there for a minute and then got up shaking his head. Scared me silly.

Another time my dad hit a cow that was in the road (it was pitch black) and it broke the windshield of his car.

Went to the BJ's to buy steaks today. My son will be 41 next week and we are celebrating his birthday early because my DH will be doing his monthly show on the actual day.

Carol

• pipcd34
    Options
    Drkatuebug- hope all is well with u
  • OregonButterflygrl
    Options
    HI All,
    I'm new, joining today. What an upbeat thread! Wow! Love it. I am from West Linn Oregon. I guess I should start with October goals since we are so close.

1. Drink 3 glasses at least a day of water
    2. Exercise at least 20 minutes a day, everyday.
    3. Follow my new way of eating (Mediterranean diet prescribed by my nurse nutritionist).
    4. Start meditation as suggested with 1 minute and adding the extra time each day.

Have a beautiful day everyone!

Kimberly