WOMEN AGES 50+ FOR SEPTEMBER 2016

Options

Replies

• csofled
    csofled Posts: 3,022 Member
    Options
    Cheri
    College Station, TX
    May I ask what app that is that you are using in your picture? is it flex workout log?
    Thx Kimberly

It is the fitbit app on my android device. I have a fitbit flex.
    Cheri
  • GRITSandSLUTSandWINOS
    Options
    Re – I remember being 3 or 4 and being at my paternal grandmother’s house. I was so fearful of her. She had sort of ‘gone off the rails’ when my Granddaddy and an uncle were killed in a train/car wreck (because the RR right-of-way was never kept mowed). My Daddy took the RR to court and made some law-changing measures which then required the RR to keep their right-of-ways mowed. RR's seem to think, no matter what, because they are BIG they have the right-of-way. When I worked, the building overlooked a street that the RR went through the middle of it. I can't tell you how often people would not stop for the 'cross marks'. They finally put up rails. The fire station was on the other side of the RR from the office. There were a lot of times, that the train had to unhook cars for the fire trucks to cross over the RRs. It was the main station. There has always been a big 'hoopla' about the train coming down the middle of the road. They attempted to make the city build an overpass so that emergency vehicles would not be cut off from the south side of town from the north side, where the hospital was located. Saw several people run into the side of the trains. They'd start blaring their horns 4 blocks away and continue for another 3. Twice a day (usually). Once usually right at lunch time.

Well, she killed a chicken by wringing its neck; then she cut it off with an ax; then she shoved her hand up its butt and pulled an egg out of it. I had to pluck the feathers off the bleeding bird. YUCK! I was mortified! She made me ‘watch’ and told me NOT to cry. I think that was my punishment for accidentally killing one of her kittens. She had cats around the barn to keep the mice away. She also set me up on the rail of the well, and I had to watch her drop the bucket and get water and bring it back up. It seemed like a forever! I did, however, enjoy gathering eggs; except for the hens pecking my hands.

Daddy was the oldest in the family and the men in the family had just laid down for their naps after (I think it was a July 4th reunion) lunch; and, the train’s horn was blaring and he knew that his Dad and brother had just left to go to the dairy. He and my uncle went down there and found them. I really do not remember this grandfather; but, everybody said that he was really nice; but, she held the purse strings. I remember once my Daddy left me there (not on purpose) and she put me to bed with her, read the Bible, and there was a fire in the fireplace … no screen. I was afraid the house was going to burn down. She had a 3’ tall doll (Patty Play Pal) and she tried to dress me up in its shoes and dress. Shoes were a little too tight. I remember hear knocking on the door; and, was ‘so happy’ that my Mama came and picked me up that night and I did not have to spend the night. She’d also crack a raw egg into a glass of milk and make the drink it. WEIRD!

But, she was a good cook. They raised 9 children to adulthood and had no running water in the house, just an outhouse. I remember that, too. Scared to go out the without someone with me. My Daddy and Uncle had a bathroom put in and she then had 'running water'. Daddy went down there one day; and she had every faucet inside and outside running full blast! My Dad asked her 'what she was doing'? Her remark was, "y'all wanted me to have running water, so it is running." She used to sit out on her back porch, butt naked, and take a sponge bath with water she had boiled on an old wood stove. She'd come to our house and spend 2 weeks with us. She'd sit out on the porch in her slip and braid her hair (this would embarrass my oldest sister, who was old enough to have boys come over to visit). She'd pull the knobs off the gas stove in our house. My mother would say something to Daddy; but, she always was respectful to her. She did not 'like' that my Daddy had met and married a 'city girl'.

My maternal great-grandmother lived with my grandmother and wore black all the time, with a 'white' collar, and those black old lady lace-up shoes. She'd always tell us that we needed to 'be quiet' because we were bothering my grandmother. We were actually bothering her.

I hope I never get 'off my rails' enough to embarrass my DGDs. So far, they 'say' I've never embarrassed them. Sometimes I wonder.

Lenora
  • exermom
    exermom Posts: 6,344 Member
    Options
    Did 1 hr of Walk on with Jessica smith DVD. the plan for tomorrow is to do Gin Miller's Simply Endurance DVD.

Went to Newcomer board meeting, then home to make these chocolate chocolate chip cookies for Vince. Made two batches, but should really have made only one. went to ceramics. I'll be done pretty soon with the pelicans and then I'll start on the wood trunk that they sit on.

After the board meeting I was talking to one gal and told her I was planning to be Morticia Addams. she said that she had a wig I can borrow and an outfit. Now I need to find out about the makeup.

Mary - what again is the link to your success story? I know that I read it once but now I'm having a hard time finding it again. Wonderful news except for the Lymes disease.

Heather - so sorry about your knee. Hope it heals in time for spain

Barbie - so glad things went well. Thanks for popping in. I know you'll be back and well in no time at all

Kimberly - welcome!

Joyce - barbie posted this: "I am awake and hungry, but peaceful about the surgery today...between anesthesia and pain meds, it will be awhile before I am thinking straight."

Katie - thanks for checking in. Was worried about you, too

Michele in NC
  • janetr7476
    janetr7476 Posts: 4,001 Member
    Options
    csofled wrote: »
    This makes me happy.
    g8s0bml528yn.jpg
    Cheri
    College Station, TX

You go, Cheri. I'm happy along with you. :)

Janetr okc
  • fanncy0626
    fanncy0626 Posts: 7,112 Member
    Options
    Michele - I think this is it you can book mark it if you want to look at my transition between weights.
    https://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10449355/update-stronglifts-and-kettlebell-transformation-pictures#latest

<3

Mary from Minnesota
  • pipcd34
    pipcd34 Posts: 16,547 Member
    Options
  • Katla49
    Katla49 Posts: 10,385 Member
    Options
    Dr. Katie: I'm so glad you're doing well. Yay!!! :star::flowerforyou: :star::flowerforyou:

Barbie: Thanks for letting us know that you're through surgery and on the road to recovery. :heart: :star::heart: :star:

Re: Once you're through "the change," menopause is quite lovely. "The change," itself, is different for everyone. It wasn't bad for me. I hope you have an easy time when it is your turn. :flowerforyou: Have a great vacation. :smiley:

Charleen2: I am in agreement with you and Maxine! :bigsmile:

It has been a good day. I took my tomato vine down and put a Halloween ghost in its place. I'm a little ahead of the Halloween decorations game, but there will be a Halloween parade on Saturday & I had the energy today. I just checked on it and we have some problems with lack of sturdiness. We will probably have to fix the problem with some new poles tomorrow.

Katla in Beautiful NW Oregon

“Our greatest weakness lies in giving up. The most certain way to succeed is always to try just one more time.” Thomas A. Edison
  • DamitJanit
    DamitJanit Posts: 1,329 Member
    edited September 2016
    Options
    Call me crazy but I love to see other people happy and succeeding .

Good Evening Ladies,

Mary, such cute chain saw sculptures. That amazes me that some people are that talented. Thanks for sharing.

Joyce, what is this “Yippee skippee” stuff about cold weather being on its way???? Grrrrr I’m not ready. Luckily it will still be a while for us, I hope. t7866.gif

NYKaren, for sure don’t let em bring ya down! Just remember that job is for one reason and you get to see it in your bank account each month. Hang in there, my friend. (((Hugs)))

Sue, sorry you aren’t losing. How many calories are you eating? Are you measuring and weighing and know that you are accurate? That was my problem for a long time. If WW is what works for you, then I certainly wish you luck.

Re, congrats on the swim suit fitting. How nice that you had it! Have a wonderful trip. It sounds like you have a plan so just stick to it.

Rori, I hope you don’t have to work too hard. The two days in a wonderful resort sound like something to look forward to. Good luck, my friend.

Allie, you know we are all here to support you and hope you get in the right frame of mind to get back on track. It’s so darn easy to put the pounds back on. Grrrr I had dinner with my friends the other night and in a picture of all of us, I was actually shocked at how big I look. t2333.gif I know I haven’t been eating right but didn’t know I looked like that. Hang in there my friend and know we are with you.

Heather, so sorry your DH is having such family problems. I know it can wear on him. Have a safe and wonderful trip. (later) That is wonderful that you feel you can get a good price for your house. It’s nice to have more options on the other end.

Mary, I guess the checkup was good news so congrats. Sorry you have to have 4 more months of treatments. I’m just so happy you are back with us and can do your exercising.

Katla, that sounds like a lot of salmon. I wouldn’t have room for it in my freezers. Lol

Kimberly, welcome. This is a great place for support and information. Please tell us about yourself to help us get to know you. Come often, it helps.

KarenVA, you said “Carol LOL! Was your steak shopping trip inspired by the memory of your dad hitting the cow? I do have a sick sense of humor.” Don’t you know that many of us do and that’s why you fit in so well. LOL

Joyce, I hope you get quick relief from some of your pain.

Kay, how wonderful that the procedure went smoothly. “Chocolate chips” huh?? Who would have thunk it??

Charleen, you let us know when you and Maxine figure out the calories for that tossing and turning. LOL

Re, you just have yourself a fabulous time on your trip. As far as that time of the month…I don’t think I ever took a trip or had a special day that it wasn’t part of the event. Even my honeymoon. Lol So that part of being through menopause is actually a wonderful thing.

Barbie, so glad to hear from you. I can't imagine walking the day I had back surgery but of course you are a walking wonder! Speedy recovery my friend. <3

pretty-pink-welcome-smiley-emoticon.gifto any Newbies that I missed. Come often and join in the chat. This thing works!! Please sign your post with what you want to be called. It makes it easier for us to respond to you. Also a location is great, be it specific or general. We are happy to have you join us.
    Went to line dancing yesterday and did the best I could. We had a lot of our ladies back today that are gone for the summer so it was a full class. I made it almost 1 ½ hours so got some good exercise. I am thankful that I can still do it and will probably continue until the doctor tells me to stop. I’m thankful for all the blessings of yesterday, today and tomorrow.
    Sending love and good thoughts to all of you and I hope you all have a Happy and Healthy Day! rainbow-smiley-emoticon.gif

Words I live by:
    Savor. I have to slow down and savor every bite.
    and
    Opportunity. Each day offers new opportunities for good health and happiness if we just look for them and choose them.
    I Love you, blow.gif
    DJ
    Myrtle Beach, SC
  • cityjaneLondon
    cityjaneLondon Posts: 12,210 Member
    Options
    Barbie, Drkatie - Thrilled that your surgeries went well. <3<3Barbie, I'm looking forward to a pain free life for you. You know, my heart did a little skip when I saw you post. :love:

DJ - He is fine at the moment. The family is in bits. Luckily, the ones affected most live a long way away, but these days the world is very close. His poor sister, who he is very close to and sees quite a bit, has a lot to bear. :'( She has a very helpful partner, daughter, son, and a brand new grandson, so it's not all bad. :)

I am feeling happy about my house move. It's time to declutter our lives and start a new chapter. Hove will be a completely different lifestyle. DH was getting concerned that I never go out of the house here. (I do occasionally walk with him or a visitor ). If we can find a house we like in Hove then it will be great. The valuation was a bit of a shock to both of us, so I hope it's realistic. The house is not perfect, with some tatty bits, but everyone loves the kitchen/diner and the views. :D
    Why is it though that you always fancy the houses that are just a bit above your price range? ? :ohwell:

Lunch by the sea today. :D

Heather UK
  • lhannon062709
    lhannon062709 Posts: 1,140 Member
    Options
    <3
  • klanders30
    klanders30 Posts: 2,569 Member
    Options
    dr Katie glad it was a streamlined experience. Never heard of chocolate chips served in a doctors office, yum

Dj I agree with you on the scheme of things, the paycheck, the kids, I just have to refocus, especially on Tuesday's.

Cheri your Fitbit screenshot shows a really healthy routine, good sleep, lots of steps. You go ;) keep it up!

Said yes to social event Saturday which involves a long drive, hope the leaves are going to put on a color show for me! I am planning the food choices afterwards already. I will probably have to move up my weekly food planning and shopping so I don't go off the rails. Food planning with emphasis on little food waste is working well at home. End of September goals will reflect some positive new habits
    NYKAREN
  • cityjaneLondon
    cityjaneLondon Posts: 12,210 Member
    Options
    Cheri - Forgot to say how wonderful your post was. If everyone followed your example just think how healthy the world would be. Save a lot of money for our staggering NHS! :* Well done! :flowerforyou:

Heather UK
  • grandmallie
    grandmallie Posts: 9,702 Member
    Options
    morning ladies~
    Kay and Barbie~ so wonderful to hear you both did well...
    I have one load of laundry in the wash, and another ready to go... gonna make Tom a meatloaf later on.. going to get my haircut, or something.. in a rut with the hair, then come home and mow the lawn.. gonna be chilly today .. something warm will be good..
    Like I said I will be watching Faith this weekend, so we shall see how it goes...
  • KJLaMore
    KJLaMore Posts: 2,829 Member
    Options
    Good morning all! reading, lurking. It's the week before "that time of the month" and even though I don't have a "period" any more; I still have the mood swing. Mostly like having the blahs or the blues. Yucky week, yucky weather. Happy for you all, but just trying to make it through the week. <3
  • pipcd34
    pipcd34 Posts: 16,547 Member
    Options
  • GRITSandSLUTSandWINOS
    Options
    Michele - Look on YouTube for making up as Morticia Adams.
  • margaretturk
    margaretturk Posts: 5,052 Member
    edited September 2016
    Options
    Drkatiebug thinking of you!

Barbie glad surgery went well!

:heart: Margaret
  • KetoneKaren
    KetoneKaren Posts: 6,411 Member
    Options
    Pip I see you are having your period. You can commiserate with Re and KJ. I just have hot flashes.

DJ :D

Barbie & Kay & Marcelyn Happy Healing!

Cheri Yep, that should make you happy! Congrats.

Karen in Rainy Rainy Rainy Virginia
  • fanncy0626
    fanncy0626 Posts: 7,112 Member
    Options
    Today is the last day you will hear from me until Monday. We are traveling to my DN's rehearsal and wedding. She has given me several duties to perform so I will be busy decorating, and helping to make sure everything goes smoothly. She is like my second daughter. 2 months younger than my DD and spent a lot of time with us. She is the one that just had the miscarriage. The day of the wedding her mom and I will be getting our hair and makeup done with our girls! That will be a great memory.

Barbie - up and walking! Amazing! So glad to hear from you!

Drkatiebug - very good news! I'm glad everything went so well for you!

DJ- great job on the line dancing! I wish they had that here. I would love to do that for fun.

Heather - I am so excited for your upcoming move. I hope your home sells quickly.

<3

Mary from Minnesota