Fit & Fun Sized Group ~ July '10 ~

Options

Replies

• jam0525
    jam0525 Posts: 1,681 Member
    Options
    Cardioke sounds like a lot of fun. Is it a DVD?

I rode the stationary bike for 60 minutes today and I did the GutNBut this morning. I know I am more toned, but it will take time to show on the scales.

Later,

JAM
  • LeahSylina
    LeahSylina Posts: 40
    Options
    How is everyone doing today?

It's roasting again today, all ready 80 and it's only 7am! I managed to get on the treadmill last night, I was glad I did even though it was so warm in the house. Glad to have the air conditioner in the window for today, that will make a huge difference.

I have a quick question. How serious is it if I don't always meet my calorie goal of 1200 calories? I've only been at this about a week, but some days I'm over by a little bit but some days I'm under. Yesterday I was under by more than 100 calories and it would have been more if I didn't decide to snack on a healthy choice fudge bar in the evening. I just wasn't hungry enough to eat all my calories. Plus I worked out so that added to my calories. I hear about 'starvation mode' and I don't want that to happen to me, but I don't know how seirous it is. And since some days I'm going over, should it matter if some days I'm under?

It's also hard for me to reconcile the fact that I need to be eating all my calories in order to actually lose the weight. I struggled with anorexia on and off throughout middle school until early college years. Not seriously enough to land me in the hospital, but my lowest weight was 85 lbs at one point. Thankfully I do NOT have any desire to go back to starving myself (I love food way too much now!) but it's a hard concept for me to grasp that I need to make sure I'm still eating enough. Sometimes I'm just not that hungry.
  • jzbaby626
    jzbaby626 Posts: 466
    Options
    Cardioke sounds like a lot of fun. Is it a DVD?

*Well I have it on cable, it's on On Demand for free (that comes with my cable). But if you don't have that, you can buy the dvd. If you search "Cardioke Billy Blanks" a lot of websites come up, so you may want to check them out & see who has the lowest price. I'm going to see if he has more than one, b/c they are pretty fun. It's Billy Blanks, Jr...You know the Tae-Bo guy, it's his son.

*I stayed within my calories yesterday, so let's see if I can do it again today! I stopped logging food a while ago and it has been really hard to get back into it. I did yesterday. It helps me a lot when I log everything I eat. I'm trying to get back into doing that.
  • Chocolickkyss
    Chocolickkyss Posts: 3,654 Member
    Options
    Good morning everyone and happy Hump day! My return from PA found me right smack in the middle of another work deadline. I have this report completed by the close of business tomorrow so that meant I worked late last night again which made it difficult for me to get up this morning and get my day started. Since my workout week has been thrown off from being out of town I decided to pass on the P90X workout and try to get in more cardio. So, I completed the Cardio Power and Resistance dvd and boy did I forget how this dvd get's in your booty.......Lol

Barbie: If I hadn't eaten everything under the sun while I was in PA I could agree that I looked better upon my return but it was just to hard to make good choices when there weren't any good options. I tried really hard in the beginning but gave in towards the end. Nonetheless it happened and I can't lie it will probably happen again next week when I leave for Boston. I'll try not to let it be too out of control but I only go home to Boston once a year and there's food there that I can't get anywhere else so I'm going to indulge.

Welcome to all the newbies on the thread. I hope you find the ladies just as helpful and supportive as I do.
  • Allibaba
    Allibaba Posts: 457 Member
    Options
    Happy hump day to you all as well. It is nice and sunny again in Vancouver BC. I am really wanting to get away and enjoy some summer sun, but it might be a while before I can get out of town.

I am feeling pretty good about today, I had a healthy brekky and I have a healthy lunch packed as well. I am headed to the health food store after work for a new protein shake. I did a week of Vega and liked it but it was a bit pricy so I am going to look around. I really like having one meal be a shake since it is a no brainer and I have enough to do.

My family is all out enjoying a long bike ride today and I am stuck in the office :( Oh well I will get out for a walk at lunch time.

Maybe I will take an exercise break now and do some crunches and stuff. . . .Sounds like a plan!

Hope you all have a wonderful day!
  • barbiecat
    barbiecat Posts: 16,978 Member
    Options
    :flowerforyou: Choco, glad you're home safely and that you had a good time....even with a work deadline and tiredness you still managed to get in a good workout.....on the subject of limited food choices, we're headed off for a weekend with limited food choices and even more limited exercise options----too much driving and long meetings

:flowerforyou: Allibaba, I have been using the Isagenix program for over a year and love shakes as a meal or snack choice---tons of nutrition, low calories, easy to fix and easy to clean up......we'll take our shake powder and blender with us on our trip so at least breakfast will be a good healthy meal no matter what the rest of the day brings.

:flowerforyou: It has been over 80 today so my favorite exercise was cut way back----the dogs got hot and tired at the dog park and wanted to go home after about 20 minutes.....I still burned over 600 calories thanks to line dance, exercise bike, and some puttering in the garden.....our raised bed is almost finished and I'm very excited.:bigsmile:

:flowerforyou: jazbaby, once you get back in the rhythm of posing your food you'll be so glad you did.....it is such a great way to stay focused.....your new cardioke sounds like a lot of fun.
    :heart: :heart: :heart:
  • jam0525
    Options
    I have a quick question. How serious is it if I don't always meet my calorie goal of 1200 calories? I've only been at this about a week, but some days I'm over by a little bit but some days I'm under. Yesterday I was under by more than 100 calories and it would have been more if I didn't decide to snack on a healthy choice fudge bar in the evening. I just wasn't hungry enough to eat all my calories. Plus I worked out so that added to my calories. I hear about 'starvation mode' and I don't want that to happen to me, but I don't know how seirous it is. And since some days I'm going over, should it matter if some days I'm under?

It's also hard for me to reconcile the fact that I need to be eating all my calories in order to actually lose the weight. I struggled with anorexia on and off throughout middle school until early college years. Not seriously enough to land me in the hospital, but my lowest weight was 85 lbs at one point. Thankfully I do NOT have any desire to go back to starving myself (I love food way too much now!) but it's a hard concept for me to grasp that I need to make sure I'm still eating enough. Sometimes I'm just not that hungry.

Hi Leah, It is very serious. Under tools look for BMR calculator. Use that to determine what your resting calories are. Depending on what that is 1200 calories per day might be too little to start off with. I set my calories by my BMR. I've lost weight very slowly, but I haven't put any back on and I don't get fustrated. As your weight goes down, so does your BMR. I keep adjusting mine down as needed.

Good luck and hang in there. We each need to find our own path to weight loss. What works for one person might not work for another.

JZ-I will definitely check out the Cardioke thing. Thanks for the info.

Jeannie
  • Chocolickkyss
    Options
    Good afternoon everyone! There's just one more work day before the start of the weekend. Since today is suppose to be a P90X Yoga day I decided to take it light. I completed the Core Cardio and Balance dvd from the Insanity program.
  • jzbaby626
    Options
    I took a peek at the scale today and I liked what I saw :happy: Wish I could skip the weekend and go straight to Tuesday lol.

Barbie~ You are so right about not letting instant gratifacation get in the way of me reaching my goals. I have been thinking about this a lot lately. And what I realize is I'm not really gonna remember or care if I had that cookie or ice cream yesterday. Once I get thru that craving its over and done with. Just gotta learn how to say no in that moment. But I will remember all the good choices I've made throughout the week when it comes time to weigh-in. Trying to keep reminding myself of this!!
  • Allibaba
    Allibaba Posts: 457 Member
    Options
    Another hot one here in BC, I went out for a nice walk at lunch, I talked on the phone with my bf the whole time so it went by nice. With the hot weather I really worked up a sweat! I am here for just over half an hour then I am off for a bike ride then a swim.

I tried coconut water for the first time today, I have heard it is supposed to be good for you but I think that it has too much sugar for me to drink it regularily. I also got a vega smoothie yesterday in vanilla almond, it is a bit better tasting than the vanilla chai but still tastes pretty "healthy" but I guess that is for the best. I also bought some flex formula since I have been struggling with shoulder pain for the whole year (it comes and goes), I am hoping this will help.

Anyhow, hope you are all having a good day!!
  • LeahSylina
    Options
    Happy Friday everyone!!

I took a peak on my weight today and should not have done that. Up 0.8 lbs from yesterday. Water retention I hope! Drinking LOTS of water today! I told myself I would not weigh myself daily so I need to go back to only once or maybe twice a week. I think I'll make Sundays and Thursdays my weigh-in days. It's good to know if I'm retaining any water but at the same time I find it very discouraging to see any weight gain at all.

Friday nights are generally 'take out' night here. Hubby wants to pick up a Papa Murphy's pizza. I'm not sure what to do. I want to enjoy myself but I don't want to eat a ton of fat and calories either! I may take a look at their menu and see if they offer any sort of salads and then hubby can have a pizza to himself haha.

I'm still having trouble meeting my calorie goal of 1200. I am just not that hungry! I don't want it to sabatoge me, though. Any snack ideas where I can get in some extra healthy calories without feeling too full?
  • Chocolickkyss
    Options
    Good afternoon and Thank Goodness It's Friday! It has been a very long work week and I'm looking forward to chilling out this weekend before hitting the streets of Boston next week. Since I was on a mini vacay last week and will be on another one next week I've not been following the P90X workouts. I just decide what I have time to do and select a workout. Today I completedd the Cardio X workout b/c I was pressed fort time. We had a unit meeting today so had to get here early. Nonetheless, the workout is done and I'm happy.

Leah: I never have a problem eating at least 1200 calories. How does a typical day of eating look? I usually start my day off w/oatmeal w/protein powder and strawberries or veggie omlet, turkey sausage and two slices of whole wheat toast. Lunch and dinner vary but will consist of turkey, chicken, veggies and a fruit. My snacks are protein bars, protein shakes, yogurt w/protein powder or fruit.
  • LeahSylina
    Options
    Chocolickkyss, a typical day for me is whatever is easy. I have 2 kids under 2 so preping meals is not something I have time for. Breakfast is generally multi-grain cherrios + my daily coffee (the only thing I drink during the day that is not water, I NEED my daily cup of coffee) or sometimes I'll scramble up 2 eggs and eat a slice of whole wheat toast. Lunch is again easy - lately I've been eating healthy choice or lean cuisine meals with a fruit on the side. Snacks are hit and miss, sometimes I snack well some days I just don't have the time. I'm not really sure what to snack ON. Sometimes I snack on veggies but that is hard for me to make myself do, I'm not a fan of fresh veggies. I don't have the $ to buy things like protein powder or protein shakes, I've seen those at the store and they are pretty spendy. Dinner is usually some sort of meat (chicken, turkey, beef) w/ veggies and fruit.

Maybe I'm going about food all wrong? I'm not 100% sure that the healthy choice or lean cuisine meals are actually the right way to go for lunch. I know they are low calorie and low fat and they are easy which is a big prerequisite for me. If I don't make one of those I tend to make a ham or turkey sandwich.

Also, I get full very quickly. I can't imagine eating an entire veggie omlet, sausage and 2 pieces of whole wheat toast, even they are proper sized protions. I just finshed one of those healthy choice fresh mixer meals and a package of apple crisps and I'm stuffed.
  • Chocolickkyss
    Options
    Good afternoon and I hope everyone is enjoying their Saturday afternoon! After an extremely long and somewhat difficult work meeting (supervisor was not in the best mood) yesterday I had a headache and could not wait to get home and chill out. I ended up falling asleep early but of course could not sleep the whole night so around midnight I was up channel surfing. At 3 am I was still up watching tv and came across the movie "Eddie Murphy - Raw". It was a movie w/Eddie doing stand up comedy back in the late 80's. The movie is very vulgar so if cursing/raunchiness is not your thing you definitely would not enjoy it but I love this movie. I can't believe I actually was able to see it when it first premiered in 1987 b/c I was only 14 years old. As an adult, I know there was no way I should of been aloud to see this movie so the movie theater was definitely messed up by letting my friends and I in. Anyway, watched the movie until 5 am and was up by 8:30 am.

Today's workout is complete. I was able to complete 2.5 miles of a Leslie Sansone dvd while holding 3 lb weights in each hand before I began giving my house a thorough cleaning. I always try to give the house a nice thorough cleaning before leaving on vacation but was so busy w/work assignments that I could not do it before heading to PA, so, I got it in today.

Leah: I know everyone's $$$ situation is different so you definitely have to do what's best for your pockets. I'll agree the protein powder is expensive but if you get if from Walmart it's not as bad and the kind that I use "Bodyfortress" comes in a huge container that lasts well over a month and that's with me making shakes almost daily and putting it in my yogurt and oatmeal. I also eat lean cuisine and while they are low in cals some can be high in sodium so I try to watch that but i don't think it's the worst choice you can make. I'm not sure how much you workout but if you're doing intense workouts you're really going to have to find a way to fuel your body. I've been doing Insanity and/or P90X for some months now and I'm extremely hungry as a result of these workouts so I guess that's why eating is not much a problem. Since everyone is so different you may just have to play w/things a little until you find something that works best for you. Good luck
  • barbiecat
    barbiecat Posts: 16,978 Member
    Options
    :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou: we are back in the hotel room having our Isagenix shakes for lunch while the people at the event are having pulled pork or eggplant Parmesan.....so far all I've been able to is 20 minutes of yoga and some "Butt 'N' Gut" exercises and a tiny bit of walking :sad:

:flowerforyou: one of my favorite easy snacks is a whole bag of frozen veggies (about 3-4 servings) microwaved in the bag with a small slit cut, sprayed with a bit of butter spray and some garlic powder

:flowerforyou: yesterday we ended up at Olive Garden for lunch and had soup, salad, and breadsticks ( a sodium disaster).......for dinner I had a Greek salad and pita and enjoyed every bit of my day filled with food that I wouldn't normally eat (I usually stay away from bread and dairy)...........I got a fair amount of exercise....yoga and exercise bike and "Butt 'N' Gut" at home, walking while waiting for the ferry, walking on the ferry, and then our hotel room is two doors down from the fitness center where I used the exercise bike and the treadmill :bigsmile: :bigsmile: :bigsmile:
  • jzbaby626
    Options
    At 3 am I was still up watching tv and came across the movie "Eddie Murphy - Raw". It was a movie w/Eddie doing stand up comedy back in the late 80's. The movie is very vulgar so if cursing/raunchiness is not your thing you definitely would not enjoy it but I love this movie. I can't believe I actually was able to see it when it first premiered in 1987 b/c I was only 14 years old. As an adult, I know there was no way I should of been aloud to see this movie so the movie theater was definitely messed up by letting my friends and I in. Anyway, watched the movie until 5 am and was up by 8:30 am.

LOL just saw this a few months ago...it was SOO funny!
  • LeahSylina
    Options
    Morning ladies! My neighbor is back (she's been gone for 2 weeks) and I'm soooooooo happy. She lets me 'borrow' her 7 year old girl in the morning, the little girl LOVES to come over and entertain my DS while I get on the treadmill. YAY no more having to walk/jog at night! Then in the afternoon we pack up our kids in strollers and go for a walk together around the neighborhood. It's mostly for socialization, we are both SAHMs so we NEED adult conversation lol.

Chocolikkyss thanks for all the advice. I wish we had a Walmart nearby, but the nearest one is 2 hours away (yay small town! lol). I will say my workouts at the moment are not that intense. I'm trying to get back 'into the game' after 2 pregnancies in a row. My body sure took a beating! When I 'jog' I actually spend most of it walking fast. My legs can't take the jogging for more than 3 minutes straight at the moment. I find it slightly frustrating because endurance wise I could jog longer, I'm out of breath but not terribly, but my legs just hurt so badly. I think it's from the extra weight I'm carrying, though! Grrrr.

Barbie, sounds like you are having fun!

Curious, what is this P90X everyone talks about? My brother is doing it, too. My brother is 16 and for awhile there he was kinda chubby (200 lbs at 5'6") but he started working out a lot and now the kid looks awesome, he's 170 but he's super muscled, hardly any fat on him. I saw him yesterday and I have to say I am so proud of him. He actually wants to be a personal trainer now, he LOVES working out and eating healthy.

My problem is finding the TIME to work out. We have one nearby gym that doesn't provide childcare and it's so expensive ($100 a MONTH!) it's not even worth it. I have a treadmill though and I get 20 minutes in the morning to work out, lately I've been doing it in the evening while hubby watches the kids but that is harder. My hubby also got a very nice weight set from my mother in law for his birthday in May that we finally got unpacked so I plan to start doing some weight lifting to try and build some lean muscle. I can sometimes squeeze in some pilates while my son is napping but most of the time my daughter needs to be fed or changed, plus I have to find time to eat lunch, etc. My days fly by so fast. But I don't want to be the person who finds excuses to not work out, kwim? I am dying to lose this 30 lbs it's driving me crazy to see myself in the mirror.
  • Chocolickkyss
    Options
    Good afternoon everyone! Since today is my rest day I kept the exercise very light. It started w/a 35 minute full body stretch that was absolutely wonderful. It's amazing how good you can feel after a great stretch. After the stretch I got dressed and headed to the movies. I had heard great things about Karate Kid II so I decided to check it out. I parked a little over a mile away from the theater and walked there and back. So a total of 2.2 miles done along w/a great stretch.

Leah: I'm a city girl to the core so there are about 3 Walmarts, 6 major gyms and everything else a girl needs to adapt to the healthy lifestyle plus I'm single w/0 children so my day is just that my day. I don't have to plan around anything other than my job which can be VERY time consuming. It may take a little time for your to find the right routine for you but don't give up. If you're serious about the lifestyle change I believe you'll work it out. The fact that you get on the treadmill and walk around the neighborhood is a good start. At this point, just stay active and try to eat as healthy as possible w/in your budget and you should have some success.

P90X is a program designed to take your body to the next level. It combines intense cardio w/strength training to give your body the ultimate workout. Ive seen good results but know they could be great if I could eat cleaner. The program is a bit pricey if you're on a budget but there are 12 dvds and a schedule that tells you what to do on what day. If you follow the program exactly you should see a huge difference in your body at the end of the 90 days......YES, Its's a 90 day program. You workout intensely for 6 days and rest or stretch on the 7th. If you want to learn more info you can always go to the beachbody website.
  • jam0525
    Options
    Hello everyone,

Yesterday we went white water rafting. We were on the water 2.5 hours, but I only counted 60 minutes for actual exercise. Today I did 30 minutes on the stationary bike and 50 minutes walking the dogs. Our 60 minute 2 mile walk now only takes 50 minutes.

Leah, I understand about money being tight. It's the same here. We are 27 miles from a town or any stores. But, I work so I'm there every day. We got a really good deal on a stationary bike on Craig's list. You could check that out. If you do get a stationary upright bike that can run on no resistance for an indefinite period of time. Even 10 minutes a couple of times a day will have an impact on your weight and body tone. Also, it is something that you can stop immediately if you have to.

I am beat and sweaty. The humidity must be high today and the wind is picking up, so a storm must be coming in.

I love Eddie Murphy. I met him once in a hotel elevator in Los Angeles a very long, long time ago. It was quite a funny experience. But not a story I can really tell other than in person.

Jeannie
  • LeahSylina
    Options
    Chocolickyss, thanks for telling me what P90X is. It sounds kinda similar to Body for Life in terms of intense workout. I followed that loosly (the workout but not the nutrition) several years ago. I was also single at the time, had a job that was easy to schedule around. I felt like I had tons of time to work out, it's definitely different now.

Jeannie, sounds like you had a good time today! I'd love an exercise bike, no place to put any more workout equipment at the moment. The weight set and the treadmill take up a good portion of the study. Our '5 year plan' is to get a garage built and there will be an area in there for workout equipment. I'm so glad we have the treadmill and the weight set though! We bought the treadmill back before we had kids and it was one of the best investments we made. It's a very nice one and even has a screen where you can watch TV. I hooked up a small DVD player to it and watch Friends, which makes the 20 minutes seem to go so much faster. :-)

Had a good day today, I stayed just right about at my 1200 calorie goal even though we ate dinner at my inlaws house. I actually had a little over 300 calores left to go at 7pm so I snacked on a few things. I hate eating so late, but I wasn't sure if I should eat my calories up or let it go. Since I still felt hungry I decided to eat. I defintely don't want to go into starvation mode, and MFP keeps warning me I could.

My weigh in was today. I'm only down 0.2 lbs from my last weigh in, but since the witch showed yesterday I'm just glad I didn't gain. I feel majorly bloated and can't wait until she leaves.