Plant based nutrition and weight loss

Options

Replies

• stylistchicky
    stylistchicky Posts: 561 Member
    Options
    Well, this thread certainly got interesting. Diet shaming, petty bickering, cats, conspiracy theories, insults, more insults, BroScience, WooScience, and feminism LOL

When feminism hit....I was out. Its best I leave politics out of my dieting experience. This is actually my first experience with a thread. Usually a comment or two. I stick with the games and challenges. My take away from
    *MY* experience here is...maybe just don't respond after advice given, and most importantly include *in my opinion, *I think, *my experience ect. before and after any statement made...But that's just *my opinion*. Oh and I apologize to any dairy consumers I may have offended by my opinions.
    Best wishes to everyone reading this, may you reach your goals and even exceed your own expectations for yourself.

When did feminism hit? You mean this thread? Feminism???? I'm so confused.

Probably the girl/woman thing. I've been called girl on here and other forums before, it makes me smile and doesn't make me feel so old. I take it as a compliment not a dis.

Context is important

Yeah maybe. I don't look in to these things so deeply though.

Here is the context.
    "Specifically speaking about animal species. Ants eat pretty much anything....kinda like flys, roaches, maggots....so on and so forth. You are giving Google its workout today. Thumbs up for doing research!!! Yaaas Girl!![/quote]"
  • elphie754
    elphie754 Posts: 7,574 Member
    Options
    Well, this thread certainly got interesting. Diet shaming, petty bickering, cats, conspiracy theories, insults, more insults, BroScience, WooScience, and feminism LOL

When feminism hit....I was out. Its best I leave politics out of my dieting experience. This is actually my first experience with a thread. Usually a comment or two. I stick with the games and challenges. My take away from
    *MY* experience here is...maybe just don't respond after advice given, and most importantly include *in my opinion, *I think, *my experience ect. before and after any statement made...But that's just *my opinion*. Oh and I apologize to any dairy consumers I may have offended by my opinions.
    Best wishes to everyone reading this, may you reach your goals and even exceed your own expectations for yourself.

Probably the girl/woman thing. I've been called girl on here and other forums before, it makes me smile and doesn't make me feel so old. I take it as a compliment not a dis.

Context is important

Here is the context.
    "Specifically speaking about animal species. Ants eat pretty much anything....kinda like flys, roaches, maggots....so on and so forth. You are giving Google its workout today. Thumbs up for doing research!!! Yaaas Girl!!
    "
    [/quote]

And multiple people have told you in that context it sounds extremely condescending and rude.
  • singingflutelady
    singingflutelady Posts: 8,736 Member
    Options
    queenliz99 wrote: »

Context is important

Here is the context.
    "Specifically speaking about animal species. Ants eat pretty much anything....kinda like flys, roaches, maggots....so on and so forth. You are giving Google its workout today. Thumbs up for doing research!!! Yaaas Girl!!
    "

Yea, that is thing though, it was condescending.[/quote]

Totally condescending.
  • stylistchicky
    Options
    Its hard to take tone of voice over text. It wasn't condescending, considering everyone was asking for proof...she was searching for proof of her beliefs and posting links, it is great. I still think it is great when people think for themselves, they hear something or think of something and research to come to their own conclusion, their own answers.
  • singingflutelady
    Options
    We do think for ourselves but when you claim something as fact the burden is on you to provide proof for your statements not us. If you can't provide valid legitimate non pseudoscience links to back up your claims it makes it look like you don't know what you are talking about. I'm pretty sure we have all done our fair amount of research on things.
    Its hard to take tone of voice over text. It wasn't condescending, considering everyone was asking for proof...she was searching for proof of her beliefs and posting links, it is great. I still think it is great when people think for themselves, they hear something or think of something and research to come to their own conclusion, their own answers.

• elphie754
    Options

Regardless of tone it was condescending and rude.0
  • stylistchicky
    Options
    I am not sure what reality I stepped into when girl is a insult. Sensitivity has hit a boiling point if this is the case. If girl is a insult, going forward all of you making such claims need to be very very careful when speaking to people....I mean really. I am 40 and never ever before yesterday, had I heard girl was a insult.
    So......I am a horrible, nasty, brat and totally not worth anymore of your time. Really. I think we are beating a dead horse.
  • singingflutelady
    Options
    I think praising someone for Googling is condescending. Calling them "girl" on top of it is icing.

This. Also your passive aggressiveness is not helping the situation
  • queenliz99
    queenliz99 Posts: 15,317 Member
    Options
    I am not sure what reality I stepped into when girl is a insult. Sensitivity has hit a boiling point if this is the case. If girl is a insult, going forward all of you making such claims need to be very very careful when speaking to people....I mean really. I am 40 and never ever before yesterday, had I heard girl was a insult.
    So......I am a horrible, nasty, brat and totally not worth anymore of your time. Really. I think we are beating a dead horse.

No, it is the way you said it. Throwing in the Google and the Thumbs Up all rolled into one. If you had said only, "I get you, girl", and left it at that but you didn't it.
  • elphie754
    Options
    I think praising someone for Googling is condescending. Calling them "girl" on top of it is icing.

This. Also your passive aggressiveness is not helping the situation

This. Everytime someone tries to explain it, you become passive aggressive and even more rude.
  • stylistchicky
    Options
    At this point, it's probably best we drop this side conversation. stylistchicky has made it clear she thinks we're all "people that have their minds made up about their Beliefs with no wiggle room to learn." And I think we've seen clear evidence that she's the same given the way she flipped out once I tried to pivot to a conversation on our cultural differences (language in different places is neat, y'all - we should talk about it more). Can we please go back to talking about plant-based diets or animals who like milk?

Humans seem to have evolved in the niche of scavenger. We're parts of Nature's clean up crew. Too much fruit on that tree? We can handle that. Too much grains or meat in the area? Humans are on it. This food is rotting and fermented? Let's eat it anyway. That animal has delicious milk that we can drink? Of course we're going to drink that! We just got too good at it in the end and created our own supply. Like certain species of ants and crabs do.

No... I totally agree we come from different cultures. I come from one where words do not affect me in the slightest. They are words, names, nouns or pronouns...not sticks, bats, rocks. Words are not actions. If nouns got to me like they do in some cultures....I wouldn't be who I am now. A person with very thick skin...someone who can be called any noun they want. I will smile and don't react, because it's obvious they themselves have problems, burdens, and must really be hurting in their own lives and probably need a smile.
    I only responded because we were talking about how I insulted you yesterday by calling you "girl". I must have really hurt you and I apologize. There is no condescending, passive aggressive, negative context in that apology, it is a sincere. Take care and be blessed.
  • TR0berts
    TR0berts Posts: 7,739 Member
    Options
    Time to put another [redacted] on ignore.
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Options

GRICE'S MAXIMS. seriously. And try to think:discourse, not....these few words.
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Options
    At this point, it's probably best we drop this side conversation. stylistchicky has made it clear she thinks we're all "people that have their minds made up about their Beliefs with no wiggle room to learn." And I think we've seen clear evidence that she's the same given the way she flipped out once I tried to pivot to a conversation on our cultural differences (language in different places is neat, y'all - we should talk about it more). Can we please go back to talking about plant-based diets or animals who like milk?

Humans seem to have evolved in the niche of scavenger. We're parts of Nature's clean up crew. Too much fruit on that tree? We can handle that. Too much grains or meat in the area? Humans are on it. This food is rotting and fermented? Let's eat it anyway. That animal has delicious milk that we can drink? Of course we're going to drink that! We just got too good at it in the end and created our own supply. Like certain species of ants and crabs do.

No... I totally agree we come from different cultures. I come from one where words do not affect me in the slightest. They are words, names, nouns or pronouns...not sticks, bats, rocks. Words are not actions. If nouns got to me like they do in some cultures....I wouldn't be who I am now. A person with very thick skin...someone who can be called any noun they want. I will smile and don't react, because it's obvious they themselves have problems, burdens, and must really be hurting in their own lives and probably need a smile.
    I only responded because we were talking about how I insulted you yesterday by calling you "girl". I must have really hurt you and I apologize. There is no condescending, passive aggressive, negative context in that apology, it is a sincere. Take care and be blessed.

What culture is that? linguistically, anthropologically, speaking...
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Options
    zyxst wrote: »

bless-your-heart_zps6d602c13.gif~c200

OMG!!! I suddenly love you.
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Options

You're right, all us girls should just move on. ;)

OP: I'm so so sorry.
This discussion has been closed.