Women lifting heavy - with pics

Options

Replies

• tlmcint
    tlmcint Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    Question: I've been inspired to starting lifting, however I've noticed most of the picture posters, it seems they started lifting once they were at or near their desired weight, I still have at least 30 more pounds to lose.

Is there anyone that started lifting with many pounds left to lose? and if so how did it go for you? Did you mix lifting with cardio?
  • Sassybmom
    Sassybmom Posts: 146 Member
    Options
    I adore this thread! Tysm to all that have posted its so inspirational!
  • ajidllensi
    ajidllensi Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    Bump
  • ltowns11
    ltowns11 Posts: 134
    Options
    Me ( I am 41)
    44475254_1042.jpg

me with heavy lifting:

44475254_7338.jpg
    44475254_630.jpg
    44475254_6214.jpg
    44475254_9.jpg

pretty sure I was more bulky BEFORE i ever picked up a barbell.

Dang!!! You found the fountain of youth!!!
  • catrinaHwechanged
    catrinaHwechanged Posts: 4,907 Member
    Options
    I shared a pic earlier in this thread, but this is a much better shot of my progress. This is five months progress, with three of it including heavy lifting three days a week. So bulky!! :P

868fd70c-3013-4076-98ea-61a65978c52f_zps49defdc6.jpg
  • AngelaAmazing
    Options
    Wow!! you look amazing!! Everyone does.
  • MySweetPotato
    MySweetPotato Posts: 175 Member
    Options
    see... unless if you walk around flexing, you will look normal :) here is an example.

15i6dqu.png
  • catrinaHwechanged
    Options
    see... unless if you walk around flexing, you will look normal :) here is an example.

15i6dqu.png

You look amazing and that's very true!

This picture is unflexed and was taken within a day of the pic I posted above....

e96ae52c-fc2d-45a4-8a6a-b4436c286384_zps86f6c831.jpg
  • catrinaHwechanged
    Options
    I'm a competitive weight lifter. 35 years old, 5'5", 130 lbs.

I deadlift 250#; Clean and jerk 150#, Squat 200#, and snatch 100#. I work at it every day, I lift heavy, and I work my butt off.

Picture1_zps21d9c11b.png

f6812ba3-5e65-4eaf-826e-d59bd0cfb2e8_zps8e888142.jpg

When I was just riding a bike (first pic) I was pretty squishy. Then I started moving heavy weight and what a difference! As you can see, my arms are pretty small. My belly is flat (enough), and while my legs and butt are bigger than average, I still carry around enough fat on them to not look super 'muscular'. If I didn't love peanut butter and potato chips so much, they'd look better. :)

ETA: Sorry the picture is so big. I'm technologically slow. ;)

Amazing!!! My weight is really close to yours and those numbers are soooo impressive!!
  • BarbellCowgirl
    BarbellCowgirl Posts: 1,271 Member
    Options
    Question: I've been inspired to starting lifting, however I've noticed most of the picture posters, it seems they started lifting once they were at or near their desired weight, I still have at least 30 more pounds to lose.

Is there anyone that started lifting with many pounds left to lose? and if so how did it go for you? Did you mix lifting with cardio?

I had 40-50lbs to lose when I started and I know others who have started with much more to lose. I've lost 28lbs so far. The secret is not in how much you exercise, it is having a deficit. I ate at a 10-20% deficit starting out, did mainly HIIT with some light cardio (walking/jogging) thrown in. The great thing is you may find you don't need to lose as many lbs as you think thanks to retaining muscle mass. I've found this to be true for myself.
  • sanifr
    sanifr Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    bump
  • wifeymou1112
    wifeymou1112 Posts: 129 Member
    Options
    Me ( I am 41)
    44475254_1042.jpg

me with heavy lifting:

44475254_7338.jpg
    44475254_630.jpg
    44475254_6214.jpg
    44475254_9.jpg

pretty sure I was more bulky BEFORE i ever picked up a barbell.

Haha WOW.... I need to start lifting!!!
  • wifeymou1112
    wifeymou1112 Posts: 129 Member
    Options
    I shared a pic earlier in this thread, but this is a much better shot of my progress. This is five months progress, with three of it including heavy lifting three days a week. So bulky!! :P

868fd70c-3013-4076-98ea-61a65978c52f_zps49defdc6.jpg

WHAA!!?!?!?! 5 months!?! Wooowwww
  • Quest529
    Quest529 Posts: 103 Member
    Options
    following to read later.
  • Iron_Feline
    Iron_Feline Posts: 10,750 Member
    Options
    In for more bulkiness :flowerforyou:

You are all amazing inspiration.

My process pics are in my profile I lost a total of 8" in stage one of NWOF4W, I've slacked for a bit but not gained any back. Just starting up again at stage one :bigsmile:
  • maz165
    maz165 Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    This is probably my favorite thread on here.
  • eob1273
    eob1273 Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    Amazing motivation! I can't pick just one. I am definitely going to begin lifting heavier and following a program. Quick question:
    What are you all doing to get those abs? I have had four children and my stomach is definitely my biggest challenge. I know that cleaning up my diet is a must, but do you all do any extra ab work in addition to lifting? Thanks for any tips. Thanks for the motivation!!! :smile:
  • catrinaHwechanged
    Options
    Amazing motivation! I can't pick just one. I am definitely going to begin lifting heavier and following a program. Quick question:
    What are you all doing to get those abs? I have had four children and my stomach is definitely my biggest challenge. I know that cleaning up my diet is a must, but do you all do any extra ab work in addition to lifting? Thanks for any tips. Thanks for the motivation!!! :smile:

I'm still working on my abs, but they're showing a little. I can only speak for myself, but I don't do any isolation exercises. All of my lifts are compound lifts. However, like the good saying goes....abs are made in the kitchen. It's typically more a matter of reducing your body fat so that they show rather than a matter of building muscle.
  • skeo
    skeo Posts: 471 Member
    Options
    Bump for more awesomeness!
  • eob1273
    eob1273 Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the quick response! Working on cleaning up my eating habits so that my hard work shows. Love this thread. Keep inspiring.:wink:
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!