Women lifting heavy - with pics

Options

Replies

• momshorses
    momshorses Posts: 376 Member
    Options
    Wow. Thanks. I needed this inpiration today!
  • Redheadllena
    Redheadllena Posts: 353 Member
    Options
    Awesome pics, ladies!!
    I can honestly say that, although I've been fit my whole life, until I started lifting weights I had never seen results like this before. I can eat an amazing amount of food on a daily basis, so cardio just doesn't work for me -- I might burn 500 cal but can eat back twice as much (and cardio makes me ridiculously hungry!) whereas weight training is not giving me that starvation effect, but I am totally shrinking! Stronglifts 5x5 is a wicked program, and I find myself looking forward to each and every workout! It's fun and simple and challenging, nothing like spending an hour jogging on a treadmill and hating every second! Definitely excited to see where this takes me. I feel strong and awesome!

I feel the same way about weight lifting vs. cardio!!
  • PaulineR1982
    PaulineR1982 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Wow fantastic job ladies. A friend of mine is trying to convince me to do lifting. He was telling me that i would lose weight and tone up, i was very skeptical at first and thought if i did i would turn into some muscular female body builder. However after seeing this post i do not need any more convincing :)

Im 5"1 SW 160lbs CW 151 GW 118
  • PINKinquisition1908
    PINKinquisition1908 Posts: 180 Member
    Options
    BUMP!
  • meli1222
    meli1222 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Is weight lifting all you do? You look great!!! I have been in a boot camp for 4 months and I do NOT see hardly any results!!!
  • da_bears10089
    da_bears10089 Posts: 1,791 Member
    Options
    I'm still a work in progress BUT...

25145832_3880.jpg

there is MAYBE a 10 lb difference between these pics from September to now.

25145832_1773.jpg

and at last

25145832_5602.jpg

PRs so far

bench - 105x4
    squat - 185x4
    DL - 225x4
  • thisdamselflies
    thisdamselflies Posts: 92 Member
    Options
    I'm still a work in progress BUT...

25145832_3880.jpg

there is MAYBE a 10 lb difference between these pics.

PRs so far

bench - 105x4
    squat - 185x4
    DL - 225x4

Nice job! I think it's awesome when a woman's weight has hardly changed, but her body looks totally different. Also, I love your wavy hair in the more recent pic. :)
  • tlmcint
    tlmcint Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    re: not using the Smith machine. I'm brand new to lifting, and really hate gyms. Even though I know no one cares what I'm doing, I always feel like a spotlight is shining on me and I find myself too intimidated to do any lifting there right now, so I'm using weights at home and all there is for squats is a smith type machine.

Anyone else have huge trouble getting up the courage to do free weights at your gym and what mental gymnastics did you use to power through it?
  • ironanimal
    ironanimal Posts: 5,922 Member
    Options
    re: not using the Smith machine. I'm brand new to lifting, and really hate gyms. Even though I know no one cares what I'm doing, I always feel like a spotlight is shining on me and I find myself too intimidated to do any lifting there right now, so I'm using weights at home and all there is for squats is a smith type machine.

Anyone else have huge trouble getting up the courage to do free weights at your gym and what mental gymnastics did you use to power through it?
    There's no trick to it. Watch, read and absorb the information you need, turn up at the gym, set the bar on the rack and get to work. Really, the only thing that will annoy anyone is if you're not trying, or being disrespectful. Nobody cares what amount of weight you're lifting, what your routine is or anything. Sometimes someone will try to help you, correct your form or suggest a new exercise but that is well intended.

They may look scary, but really, the number of douches:nice people in the weights section isn't going to be that high.
  • pastryari
    pastryari Posts: 8,646 Member
    Options

I bought a power rack and weight set so I could lift at home. Figure out what works for you. Buy stuff for home or go to the gym and just do your thing!
  • SunshineGirl75P
    SunshineGirl75P Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    bump
  • azucena1004
    azucena1004 Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    bump***
  • FromHereOnOut
    FromHereOnOut Posts: 3,237 Member
    Options
    I just have to stop this thread for one moment to say....
    PRs so far

bench - 105x4
    squat - 185x4
    DL - 225x4

DANG GIRL!!!!
    GO YOU!!!
    and at last

25145832_5602.jpg

^^And LOVE THIS!
  • jadam6
    jadam6 Posts: 121 Member
    Options
    Bump for later.
  • da_bears10089
    da_bears10089 Posts: 1,791 Member
    Options
    I just have to stop this thread for one moment to say....
    PRs so far

bench - 105x4
    squat - 185x4
    DL - 225x4

DANG GIRL!!!!
    GO YOU!!!
    and at last

25145832_5602.jpg

^^And LOVE THIS!

why, thank you!
  • WhoButME28
    WhoButME28 Posts: 63 Member
    Options
    Working out with as heavy of a weight as one can (male or female) will always be superior to fat loss as long as one's diet is in check and proper form is used.
  • Slatzuk
    Slatzuk Posts: 80 Member
    Options

Don't worry about it. I started the Stronglifts 5X5 and felt really self conscious when I was starting with an empty Olympic bar. I thought everyone was looking at me. Nobody was, they were focussed on their own workout. Starting with low weights helps you develop good form. This is essential before you move up to "Heavy". Lifting heavy will change your life. I've only just got to bench press half my bodyweight. Not heavy by the standards of some people but my sense of achievement was immense.

Go for it, you WILL NOT regret it.
  • ToxicTinkerbell
    ToxicTinkerbell Posts: 63 Member
    Options
    when I close my eyes I will be able to see all these pictures because of the amount of times people have pic quoted. heaven forbid someone view this thread on mobile data!
  • katz6910
    katz6910 Posts: 156 Member
    Options
    Aww I wanna get all bulky and stuff like you ladies :wink: You all look AMAZING! I hope I can figure all this lifting stuff out soon!

5638134.png
    Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Weight Loss Tools
  • ewelsh92
    ewelsh92 Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    Starting this definitely now that I've seen this thread! So inspiring :)
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!