Women lifting heavy - with pics

Options

Replies

• clambert1273
    clambert1273 Posts: 840 Member
    Options
    This thread seriously just inspired me... I just sent my husband a text stating that I will be joining a gym on Monday lol

You guys rock!
  • missmegan831
    missmegan831 Posts: 824 Member
    Options
    In for inspiration!
  • Jameson1984
    Jameson1984 Posts: 100 Member
    Options
    Great job everyone! I can hardly wait to see what lifting heavy does for me!
  • Jameson1984
    Jameson1984 Posts: 100 Member
    Options
    Great job everyone! I can hardly wait to see what lifting heavy does for me!
  • Viva_Karina
    Viva_Karina Posts: 398 Member
    Options
    best_animated_images_car_jump_in.gif
  • rieann84
    rieann84 Posts: 511 Member
    Options
    **bump**

This thread is too awesome to be on the back-burner. Part 2!! More people! More awesome results! I hope I have some great before/afters to share with you all.
  • alliebeth88
    alliebeth88 Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    Still chugging along here. Hoping to have good results pics in the near future :)
  • Redheadllena
    Redheadllena Posts: 353 Member
    Options
    re: not using the Smith machine. I'm brand new to lifting, and really hate gyms. Even though I know no one cares what I'm doing, I always feel like a spotlight is shining on me and I find myself too intimidated to do any lifting there right now, so I'm using weights at home and all there is for squats is a smith type machine.

Anyone else have huge trouble getting up the courage to do free weights at your gym and what mental gymnastics did you use to power through it?

Don't worry about it. I started the Stronglifts 5X5 and felt really self conscious when I was starting with an empty Olympic bar. I thought everyone was looking at me. Nobody was, they were focussed on their own workout. Starting with low weights helps you develop good form. This is essential before you move up to "Heavy". Lifting heavy will change your life. I've only just got to bench press half my bodyweight. Not heavy by the standards of some people but my sense of achievement was immense.

Go for it, you WILL NOT regret it.

Yes!!! This this this, couldn't have said it better myself :)
  • ArtsyBunny
    ArtsyBunny Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    This thread is so inspiring. All of you ladies are amazing!
  • traceyjj
    traceyjj Posts: 406 Member
    Options
    I'm one month into lifting now, and I'm so pleased with my progress in strength. I just need to start seeing some physical progress :) (I know I'm impatient LOL)
    I cant wait to be able to share my progress in this thread
  • Slatzuk
    Slatzuk Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    Stick with it, the results will come.

Just flick through this thread for some amazing people with amazing results.

I wish I'd started this journey sooner.
  • Susantuti
    Susantuti Posts: 168 Member
    Options
    Bump
  • justaspoonfulofsugar
    justaspoonfulofsugar Posts: 587 Member
    Options
    bump!
  • Titanuim
    Titanuim Posts: 337 Member
    Options
    I have been lifting weights for a year and now I am very strong. I squated my bodyweight on Monday (yay) I ditched alcohol since April and now am at goal weight. I am now a size 10UK ,as opposed to the size 14 I was in March. I feel great. I don't run at all as weights are more fun.

I can't thank enough, the ladies that have provided inspiration over the year to just keept working and have patience, eventually it does pay off.

Profile pic is me modelling my new dress which arrived in the post today.
  • megalin9
    megalin9 Posts: 771 Member
    Options
    I have done some form of lifting from the beginning, but I didn't get really serious about heavy lifting until probably a year ago or so. I started out just doing a full body lifting circuit that included both compound and accessory lifts, and then I transitioned to StrongLifts 5x5. I've honestly gotten bored with doing the same thing 3x/week, so now I'm back to doing compound lifts and accessories.

Lately, I have been hearing almost daily how "tiny" I am. Ha. I am far from tiny, but I realize that retaining some LBM is making me look like I weigh less than I do. It's AWESOME.

Height: 5'6"ish <-- I am not happy about having to admit this. I've always thought I was 5'7", but recent measurements have confirmed I am in fact 5'6". :sad:
    SW: 253
    CW: 191.5
    GW: 170ish

October 2011, right before I decided to get fit. At least 253 pounds.
    ry%3D400

Down about 11 pounds, Thanksgiving 2011.
    ry%3D480

When I first started liking what I was seeing a little better than I did before. About 209 pounds here, December 2012.
    ry%3D480

Two weeks ago at 191.5 pounds.
    ry%3D480

Comparison shot: 209 to 191.5
    ry%3D400
  • Happymom83
    Happymom83 Posts: 405 Member
    Options
    you are looking great:)
  • reach4thestar
    reach4thestar Posts: 174 Member
    Options
    Wow....bumping for more
  • desert_mom
    desert_mom Posts: 91 Member
    Options
    My husband and I have been swinging kettlebells for a couple of months and I've gotten stronger, but after reading part one of this thread, we decided to start lifting heavy. I just did my first workout yesterday, following 5x5 stronglifts and I'm feeling it today! But it's a good sore :) I can't wait to see where I am in a few months.
  • amandammmq
    amandammmq Posts: 394 Member
    Options
    I have done some form of lifting from the beginning, but I didn't get really serious about heavy lifting until probably a year ago or so. I started out just doing a full body lifting circuit that included both compound and accessory lifts, and then I transitioned to StrongLifts 5x5. I've honestly gotten bored with doing the same thing 3x/week, so now I'm back to doing compound lifts and accessories.

Lately, I have been hearing almost daily how "tiny" I am. Ha. I am far from tiny, but I realize that retaining some LBM is making me look like I weigh less than I do. It's AWESOME.

Height: 5'6"ish <-- I am not happy about having to admit this. I've always thought I was 5'7", but recent measurements have confirmed I am in fact 5'6". :sad:
    SW: 253
    CW: 191.5
    GW: 170ish

October 2011, right before I decided to get fit. At least 253 pounds.
    ry%3D400

Down about 11 pounds, Thanksgiving 2011.
    ry%3D480

When I first started liking what I was seeing a little better than I did before. About 209 pounds here, December 2012.
    ry%3D480

Two weeks ago at 191.5 pounds.
    ry%3D480

Comparison shot: 209 to 191.5
    ry%3D400

Wow, I would never in a million billion years guess that you weigh 190! The lifting is obviously causing huge changes in your body, and you look fantastic. I bet you feel awesome, too!
  • betterbestbestest
    betterbestbestest Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    Bump!
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!