Women lifting heavy - with pics

Options

Replies

• ghsfitnesspal
    ghsfitnesspal Posts: 260 Member
    Options
    That's great Marfhutch!

Bumping to keep it in My Topics - I'm doing bodyweight lifting (pullups and knee lifts etc) which feels heavy to me but this is so different! and inspiring - the strength is fabulous :)
  • CherylP67
    CherylP67 Posts: 772 Member
    Options
    I've been log,ung all these heavy lifting before and afters for months.

I've lost a great deal of weight, but now I have the dreaded flabby wing thingies under my arms.

A lot of ladies said they wish they'd started lifting heavy in the beginning of their journey.

I'm getting a divorce and I don't have a lot of spare money. I resigned myself to learning as much as I could about lifting and deciding on a plan. I decdided Stronglifts was a good place for me to start.

An opportunity came up for me to join a rec center gym at a price I could afford ($30 a year, my employer paid the rest), they have limited free weights and some machines. I joined, because I've decided I could make excuses or make changes. I figured I would do what I could until I could join a gym with more of what I need.

Today is the day I'm going in to start Stronglifts. I've already decided to go, then not go, to go and just use the machines, to not go, lol. I'm extremely intimidated to just go in by myself and start lifting and not know how to correct my form. I've watched the Stronglifts workouts on YouTube.

I'm going, no questions asked, I'm going to stand tall and just do it, I hope.
  • boehle
    boehle Posts: 5,062 Member
    Options
    bump
  • joshdann
    joshdann Posts: 618 Member
    Options
    go. definitely go. Once you get started, you'll look back at what you used to do, or what you almost did, and realize that you're now doing the right thing. Compound heavy lifts (like the Stronglifts program) are the absolute best foundation for any strength training regime. The 5x5 variants (again, like Stronglifts) will teach you fundamentals that you can use for the rest of your life. If I'm not being clear, I fully support your decision to go start ;)
  • CherylP67
    CherylP67 Posts: 772 Member
    Options
    go. definitely go. Once you get started, you'll look back at what you used to do, or what you almost did, and realize that you're now doing the right thing. Compound heavy lifts (like the Stronglifts program) are the absolute best foundation for any strength training regime. The 5x5 variants (again, like Stronglifts) will teach you fundamentals that you can use for the rest of your life. If I'm not being clear, I fully support your decision to go start ;)

Thanks, I just wish some of you awesome supportive people lived near me! I know I'll do it, the first step is the hardest.
  • HollySue25
    HollySue25 Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    As long as your training yourself you should improve whether at home, gym etc. Consistency & good food quality is key. I put together a gym in our garage. Most items came from garage sales. :) I try to switch it up often too when I find myself adapting to a certain move/workout. Music is a awesome motivator as well.
  • dsearle67
    dsearle67 Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    Bump! I am truly inspired by these stories and pictures of success! I have a male friend that has convinced me to lift with him and his trainer at a local gym. I still have 100 lbs to lose, but I really want to lift to be stronger. I have been Paleo since June 2013 and have lost 31 lbs with hardly any exercise. Please add me so that I can have your helpful, successful info to get me started and keep me lifting!

True inspirations...you all are!
  • nikamar
    nikamar Posts: 83 Member
    Options
    Stronglifts 5x5 since June :happy:

KY3Iy6I.jpg?1

OUUhXj9.jpg?1
  • PJ_73
    PJ_73 Posts: 331 Member
    Options

910ec7ef-ba89-4c13-8991-27eb15841788_zpsb7e8f9af.jpg

OMG Girrrl your calves are KILLER!!!! Fantastic job!

I concur! I want calves like that! Fantastic job!
  • alyssa92982
    alyssa92982 Posts: 1,093 Member
    Options
    <<<<<<<lifting as heavy as possible, all at home-no gym
  • nikamar
    nikamar Posts: 83 Member
    Options
    <<<<<<<lifting as heavy as possible, all at home-no gym

Me too, and I live in a studio apartment.

I keep ordering new weight plates, and UPS guy can barely carry them. :laugh:
  • crazie4lulu
    crazie4lulu Posts: 762 Member
    Options
    you will have to creep my profile to see... but the proof is there!
  • SpecialSundae
    SpecialSundae Posts: 795 Member
    Options
    I started progressive strength training with machines in January and then switched to StrongLifts 5x5 in April.

Started on 20kg on most of the lifts in April and my last tested 1RMs in early August were:

85kg squat (187lb)
    50kg bench (110lb) - Although my previous 1RM a few months earlier was 52.5kg and I'm sure I can do more.
    90kg deadlift (198lb)

Rows and OHP haven't tested 1RMs for a while, but can do 42.5kg and 37.5kg for reps respectively (1RM on OHP was 40kg at last test).

Progress pictures below from January to September and weight from 77.2kg to 63.3kg (170lb to 139lb).

A6NzrR.gif

(And for sh*ts and giggles, here's me looking less sporty.)

BCBG_dress.jpg
  • adjoa84
    adjoa84 Posts: 261 Member
    Options
    bump
  • nicoleisme
    nicoleisme Posts: 95 Member
    Options
    Bump!
  • walleyclan1
    walleyclan1 Posts: 2,784 Member
    Options
    flex.jpg
  • Sweettart
    Sweettart Posts: 1,331 Member
    Options
    Bump
  • khloee1
    khloee1 Posts: 90 Member
    Options
    BUMP~ WOW!!! you ladies look awesome! Great inspiration. I hate hearing "if you lift weight your going to look like a man" or "I want to be toned.. I don't want muscle":explode: . I have heard this so much from women I know. I will show them! I plan on looking as hot as you all :flowerforyou:
  • RobinsEgg
    RobinsEgg Posts: 3,702 Member
    Options
    Awesome job ladies. I want to start my heavy lifting journey soon. What is a great beginner or intermediate heavy lifting routine that you ladies can suggest? Or any guidance or advice to point me in the right direction? Thanks!

Count me in on this request please :)

My main question though, is can you achieve results by lifting at home? I know for the best results a gym is best, however because of my current schedule and finances a gym is not an option. I know I would need instruction for proper form, safety, etc, because I want to do it right. Any suggestions? Thanks!

I can't afford a gym and I'm lifting at home, using only dumb-bells. And, I'm getting great definition, as well as continuing my weight loss. I highly recommend you utilize you-tube videos for assistance as well as other MFP threads - there's one on lifting with just dumb bells but I don't have the link, sorry.
  • HollySue25
    HollySue25 Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    I have had my success from using weights at home. :) My pics are somewhere in the beginning of this thread. I was hopeful I could do it at home & well it's been working. :)
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!