Women lifting heavy - with pics

Options

Replies

• marfhutch
    marfhutch Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    I want to be one of these people so bad!

Have been trying to get into weight training for months but am constantly being pressurised by trainers at the gym (I've changed 3 times now, all the same) that I should stick to high reps and low weights to 'get toned'. I am so sick of being told it that yesterday I made one of them check my squat form on a smith (I know-no other option as no free weights and my arms can't hold the dumbbell weight needed to push my legs!) Even after he said he was impressed with my form on a relatively high weight (for me!) for 10reps, he still reckoned I should stick to lower weights :(

I'm going to keep pushing myself wiht or without the help, but really hope you guys are right and I will get to be fabby not flabby soon!
  • gensteele1
    gensteele1 Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    Everyone is amazing! For those who are new to lifting, just remember this:

It takes 4 weeks for you to see a difference;
    8 weeks for friends and family; and
    12 weeks for the rest of the world to notice.

Don't give up and keep up the good work!
  • MsBrwnSugga
    MsBrwnSugga Posts: 164 Member
    Options
    Awesome job ladies. I want to start my heavy lifting journey soon. What is a great beginner or intermediate heavy lifting routine that you ladies can suggest? Or any guidance or advice to point me in the right direction? Thanks!
  • Tiernan1212
    Tiernan1212 Posts: 797 Member
    Options
    Awesome job ladies. I want to start my heavy lifting journey soon. What is a great beginner or intermediate heavy lifting routine that you ladies can suggest? Or any guidance or advice to point me in the right direction? Thanks!

Count me in on this request please :)

My main question though, is can you achieve results by lifting at home? I know for the best results a gym is best, however because of my current schedule and finances a gym is not an option. I know I would need instruction for proper form, safety, etc, because I want to do it right. Any suggestions? Thanks!
  • nachodman
    nachodman Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    Keep searching for a trainer who has YOUR goals as his/her priorities. The job of a personal trainer is to get his/her client to their goal, not the goals of the trainer...I have struggled with getting back and recently I got back into the gym and am loving it. I wish you luck in your search and be sure to be up front and clear with the next trainer you interview that you want help/support to meet YOUR goals, not HIS/HERS! Best of luck and keep pushing...you look great!
  • nachodman
    nachodman Posts: 29 Member
    Options

Have been trying to get into weight training for months but am constantly being pressurised by trainers at the gym (I've changed 3 times now, all the same) that I should stick to high reps and low weights to 'get toned'. I am so sick of being told it that yesterday I made one of them check my squat form on a smith (I know-no other option as no free weights and my arms can't hold the dumbbell weight needed to push my legs!) Even after he said he was impressed with my form on a relatively high weight (for me!) for 10reps, he still reckoned I should stick to lower weights :(

I'm going to keep pushing myself wiht or without the help, but really hope you guys are right and I will get to be fabby not flabby soon!
    Keep searching for a trainer who has YOUR goals as his/her priorities. The job of a personal trainer is to get his/her client to their goal, not the goals of the trainer...I have struggled with getting back and recently I got back into the gym and am loving it. I wish you luck in your search and be sure to be up front and clear with the next trainer you interview that you want help/support to meet YOUR goals, not HIS/HERS! Best of luck and keep pushing...you look great!
  • traceyjj
    traceyjj Posts: 406 Member
    Options

Before you commit to a new trainer, discuss with them all your aims and goals you want for yourself. I chose my trainer by the way he reacted when I told him I wanted to lift... he seemed way more enthusiastic than the other trainers at the gym. The first week with him we spent trying the kettlebells for deadlifting, and when he realised I could easily lift the heaviest one the gym owns, he moved me to the free-weights. That was 8 weeks ago, and I havent looked back since.
    Good luck on finding a good trainer :)
  • pt49120
    pt49120 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Bump!

I've been working with a trainer for a month and doing Pilates at a studio for 2 months. I'm talking to my trainer about lifting when I see her next! Loving all the results!
  • mjay26
    mjay26 Posts: 133 Member
    Options
    I love this thread,there's so much AWESOMENESS!! :flowerforyou: I have just started a new routine at the gym with my trainer, incorporating things like squats, deadlifts and bench presses in along with some HIIT for cardio. I am looking forward to posting pics of my progress, and hope I get results just as amazing as you ladies on here :heart:
  • joshdann
    joshdann Posts: 618 Member
    Options

My main question though, is can you achieve results by lifting at home? I know for the best results a gym is best, however because of my current schedule and finances a gym is not an option. I know I would need instruction for proper form, safety, etc, because I want to do it right. Any suggestions? Thanks!
    If you can find someone to help teach you proper form (trainer, whoever), you can do stronglifts 5x5 on your own after a few weeks. My wife and I are both starting this program, and she was intimidated at first, but is now embracing the workouts. I have quite a bit of previous lifting experience (many years removed, but it's like riding a bike) so we're not using a trainer. The free apps for iOS (and now android) make keeping yourself on the stronglifts plan very easy.

one small caveat - the guy who developed stronglifts borowed from some truly old-school 5x5 techniques. Many other people have done the same. I like the Stronglifts apps but I really do a modified version that includes some lat pulls, curls, etc. I just don't track those in the app. I've met quite a few other women on this site and others who swear by 5x5 heavy lifting, and specifically the SL method. I think it will work for you too.
  • WitchofWashington
    WitchofWashington Posts: 158 Member
    Options
    Amazing! I can't wait to add my before and after pics!
  • Labouffecestbon
    Labouffecestbon Posts: 182 Member
    Options

I lift at home so it can be done and you can achieve great results. It all depends on your home equipment. I own adjustable dumbbells and love them! I'll move on to a barbell someday when I have the space, but so far I'm doing great with my dumbbells. I learned proper form and such by reading, viewing vids, practicing with low weights, etc. If you don't have access to the gym, start somewhere! Better than nothing.
  • You look awesome!!!!
  • guessrs
    guessrs Posts: 358 Member
    Options
    Keep the lifting posts coming..., I love it.

I had an aversion toward strength training, lifting anything to do with gym. Nothing you could say would convince me to try.

Until I reached a certain low weight through running and healthy eating. I was skinny but wanted a flat stomach. Couldn't figure out what to do?? I read the post similar to these by cmeirun I think is her name and these posts. I began using dumbells, my stomach is beginning to look amazing just from that.

So keep the posts coming they motivate me to keep trying.
  • thatonegirlwiththestuff
    Options
    44866138_6771.jpg
    9699235144_ae9d051695_m.jpg
    9699223574_b5aa247cfd_m.jpg

18 months of lifting heavy.
  • babycakes1970
    babycakes1970 Posts: 111 Member
    Options
    I am soon to be 43 and I would love to start strength training. I will be starting school for massage therapy next month and will be working full time during the day and attending class 5 nights a week for about 10 1/2 months. I have resigned myself to the fact that I will simply not have time to do it more than once or twice a week if I am lucky. When I am done with my school then I can pursue it more.
  • CarKiller2013
    CarKiller2013 Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    Bump
  • Tiernan1212
    Tiernan1212 Posts: 797 Member
    Options

If you can find someone to help teach you proper form (trainer, whoever), you can do stronglifts 5x5 on your own after a few weeks. My wife and I are both starting this program, and she was intimidated at first, but is now embracing the workouts. I have quite a bit of previous lifting experience (many years removed, but it's like riding a bike) so we're not using a trainer. The free apps for iOS (and now android) make keeping yourself on the stronglifts plan very easy.

one small caveat - the guy who developed stronglifts borowed from some truly old-school 5x5 techniques. Many other people have done the same. I like the Stronglifts apps but I really do a modified version that includes some lat pulls, curls, etc. I just don't track those in the app. I've met quite a few other women on this site and others who swear by 5x5 heavy lifting, and specifically the SL method. I think it will work for you too.

Thank you so much! I'll have to recruit my cousin to teach me proper form. He does competative bodybuilding, and hopefully I can get him to put some time aside to showing me the ropes :) That's awesome that I could potentially start a program like this at home.
  • DenyseMarieL
    DenyseMarieL Posts: 673 Member
    Options
    I am soon to be 43 and I would love to start strength training. I will be starting school for massage therapy next month and will be working full time during the day and attending class 5 nights a week for about 10 1/2 months. I have resigned myself to the fact that I will simply not have time to do it more than once or twice a week if I am lucky. When I am done with my school then I can pursue it more.

I only lift twice a week and I see amazing results. I think it's really all you need.l
  • marfhutch
    marfhutch Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    I just wanted to say thanks for all the tips on getting the correct trainer...it finally happened! Found a female PT who is super excited to have a girl who wants to train properly :) She's so excited shes even been helping in her free time etc!
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!