If I cut out bread will that help loosing weight?

Options

Replies

• kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,906 Member
    Options
    ninerbuff wrote: »
    I'm not interested enough in this topic to pull up studies supporting my view, but here it is anyway. As I recall, especially in the early days after Atkins was introduced, there were studies suggesting that you could lose more on a low carb diet with the same amount of calories as someone who was not low carb. I assume that the current view that it is only calories that matter is the correct one, and that I could pull up studies disputing the earlier studies. I make this point in defence of @ThatUserNameIsAllReadyTaken. Meaning if scientists and published studies made this "mistake", it's a very easy one to make.

Aside from the obvious difference of glycogen and associated water (meaning low carbers maintain low glycogen levels so even a year or two out they would typically be retaining less water), I read once an idea that made sense to me, that the extra effort your body requires to adjust to low carb burns more calories, giving the low carb diet a slight advantage. But mostly, I think it's about satiety, and that when you are too hungry it's normal to cheat. IOW, I suspect the early differences were more about the ability to adhere to the diet. Improving adherence is still a big deal.

Having said all that in defence of low carbers, I'm not one. I prefer to lose slowly and sustainably and include a decent amount of carbs (up to 50%). If I thought that losing quickly were important, (for instance, if my health were in jeopardy), I think I'd try lower carb.
    Again, go to a penitentiary and see what inmates eat day in and day out. And there's not a epidemic of obesity in the pen.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png

I agree with you! I was probably too wordy, but let me give you my tldr version: I think reduced carb helps with adherence. Course, not as well as The Prison Diet, almost guaranteed adherence there.

Now that I have access to supermarkets, reduced carbs (mostly from flour) and increased protein helps me create a calorie deficit.

However, when I was in Costa Rica, I didn't have access to a lot of calorie dense food like cheese, PB, ice cream, pizza, etc., and lost a lot of weight while stuffing myself with fruit and eating rice & beans once or twice per day. I probably had meat 4 times in 6 weeks. Well, chicken. Our Guaymí neighbors brought us "jungle meat" from time to time. :D

• goldthistime
    goldthistime Posts: 3,214 Member
    edited September 2016
    Options
    I'm not interested enough in this topic to pull up studies supporting my view, but here it is anyway. As I recall, especially in the early days after Atkins was introduced, there were studies suggesting that you could lose more on a low carb diet with the same amount of calories as someone who was not low carb. I assume that the current view that it is only calories that matter is the correct one, and that I could pull up studies disputing the earlier studies. I make this point in defence of @ThatUserNameIsAllReadyTaken. Meaning if scientists and published studies made this "mistake", it's a very easy one to make.

Aside from the obvious difference of glycogen and associated water (meaning low carbers maintain low glycogen levels so even a year or two out they would typically be retaining less water), I read once an idea that made sense to me, that the extra effort your body requires to adjust to low carb burns more calories, giving the low carb diet a slight advantage. But mostly, I think it's about satiety, and that when you are too hungry it's normal to cheat. IOW, I suspect the early differences were more about the ability to adhere to the diet. Improving adherence is still a big deal.

Having said all that in defence of low carbers, I'm not one. I prefer to lose slowly and sustainably and include a decent amount of carbs (up to 50%). If I thought that losing quickly were important, (for instance, if my health were in jeopardy), I think I'd try lower carb.
    Again, go to a penitentiary and see what inmates eat day in and day out. And there's not a epidemic of obesity in the pen.

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png

I agree with you! I was probably too wordy, but let me give you my tldr version: I think reduced carb helps with adherence. Course, not as well as The Prison Diet, almost guaranteed adherence there.

"I think reduced carb helps with adherence for some people." My personal opinion is that this is more accurate. I've lost over 100 lbs since last July. Some people would look at my carb numbers and have a heart attack. They can be that high. If I had to lower my carbs my adherence would fail miserably. Working in what you crave most helps with adherence, not one particular macro.

I'm going to go out on a limb and say that, imo, depending on what percentage of carbs they were eating while they were gaining or maintaining their gains, that reducing carbs helps with adherence for many people, in fact, I would dare say most people. I suspect I could find evidence to support that idea if I dug around hard enough. Not up to it though, sorry.

Having said that, I acknowledge that there are plenty of people who can lose weight and maintain their loss while eating higher carb than even my 50% example. My husband is a perfect example. I only aim for 20% protein, but I eat more protein than he does.

PS I read right past your comment about working in what you crave helping most with adherence. I have no idea how the numbers might work out on that one. I can only give you my personal experience, which is that the annoyance of feeling a little hungry all the time is a bigger deal than not having eating all the carby treats I used to have. At least that's where I am in my gurney at the moment.
  • Aaron_K123
    Aaron_K123 Posts: 7,122 Member
    Options
    Aaron_K123 wrote: »

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png

"I think reduced carb helps with adherence for some people." My personal opinion is that this is more accurate. I've lost over 100 lbs since last July. Some people would look at my carb numbers and have a heart attack. They can be that high. If I had to lower my carbs my adherence would fail miserably. Working in what you crave most helps with adherence, not one particular macro.

I agree with this.

Calories for weight loss. Micronutrients for health, minimum macros for health, macro split for adherence. The first three are for everyone, the last one is personal.

@Aaron_K123 agreed with something I said. I feel special. :blush:

Lol...don't make it weird now.
  • Wynterbourne
    Wynterbourne Posts: 2,200 Member
    Options

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png

I agree with this.

Calories for weight loss. Micronutrients for health, minimum macros for health, macro split for adherence. The first three are for everyone, the last one is personal.

@Aaron_K123 agreed with something I said. I feel special. :blush:

Lol...don't make it weird now.

LOL. Yes, sir. *snicker*
  • Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    Options
    Arf
  • Wynterbourne
    Options

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png

I'm going to go out on a limb and say that, imo, depending on what percentage of carbs they were eating while they were gaining or maintaining their gains, that reducing carbs helps with adherence for many people, in fact, I would dare say most people. I suspect I could find evidence to support that idea if I dug around hard enough. Not up to it though, sorry.

Having said that, I acknowledge that there are plenty of people who can lose weight and maintain their loss while eating higher carb than even my 50% example. My husband is a perfect example. I only aim for 20% protein, but I eat more protein than he does.

While I'm not exactly sure why you quoted my comment to post this reply to, I'm going to have to say that apparently, in response to the bolded, I'm not most people then.
  • goldthistime
    Options

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png

While I'm not exactly sure why you quoted my comment to post this reply to, I'm going to have to say that apparently, in response to the bolded, I'm not most people then.

I quoted you because you revised my comment from "helps with adherence" to "helps with adherence for SOME people", and I am disagreeing slightly, saying that imo "reducing carbs helps with adherence for MANY people, if not MOST".

Are we splitting hairs here? Who knows. I know I can't help but let me personal experiences colour my views, but I still say that I think I have read stuff to support my view. Perhaps I'll do some digging later tonight to try and find some credible sources.
  • queenliz99
    queenliz99 Posts: 15,317 Member
    Options

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png

I quoted you because you revised my comment from "helps with adherence" to "helps with adherence for SOME people", and I am disagreeing slightly, saying that imo "reducing carbs helps with adherence for MANY people, if not MOST".

Are we splitting hairs here? Who knows. I know I can't help but let me personal experiences colour my views, but I still say that I think I have read stuff to support my view. Perhaps I'll do some digging later tonight to try and find some credible sources.

Good idea! Credible sources. Doing low carb was difficult for me too.
  • goldthistime
    Options
    queenliz99 wrote: »

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png

Good idea! Credible sources. Doing low carb was difficult for me too.

I used the nebulous term "reduced carb" rather than "low carb" on purpose. Meaning, imo, for "many if not most people", reducing carbs from whatever your norm was should help you to feel fuller longer. That's it for me though till I can come back with some studies either supporting or disputing my point of view.
  • Wynterbourne
    Options

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png

Well, @Aaron_K123 agreed with my comment also and responded with:
    I agree with this.

Are you gonna address his opinion regarding your blanket statement on macros and adherence?

Your personal experience with this does not make it true for everyone. And my saying that adding "most" makes it more accurate is absolutely truthful merely by the fact that I can say reducing carbs does in no way, shape, or form help with my adherence. All it takes is for one person with a different experience to make your blanket statement, that by its phrasing encompassed everyone, not true.

You said reduced carbs helps with adherence. I said it helps for some. You said you disagree with me. That's calling me a liar because I informed you that reducing carbs would make my adherence more difficult.
  • Hornsby
    Hornsby Posts: 10,322 Member
    Options
    But potatoes...
  • inertiastrength
    inertiastrength Posts: 2,343 Member
    Options
    Well most people already covered what you need to know in terms of deficit and food types but I just wanted to let you know that you lose weight and your pants become loose. The extra o isn't needed in the word you're trying to use.
  • inertiastrength
    inertiastrength Posts: 2,343 Member
    Options
    fascha wrote: »
    Well most people already covered what you need to know in terms of deficit and food types but I just wanted to let you know that you lose weight and your pants become loose. The extra o isn't needed in the word you're trying to use.

But if you lose your pants does that make you loose?

Idk, how many dates has it been? Lol
  • Wynterbourne
    Options

I'm glad I wasn't drinking anything when I read that.
  • JeromeBarry1
    JeromeBarry1 Posts: 10,182 Member
    Options
    johunt615 wrote: »
    I'm losing weight and I eat bread - killer Dave 60 cal bread. Bloating is an issue for some folks with bread.

Ive heard this before. Out of curiosity why do people care about bloating? Its not fat, its just water retention...has no bearing on your health or fitness. So why do people care? They really want a particular number on their scale or its an aesthetic thing?

Bloating in the fingers make rings too tight. Bloating in the feet makes shoes too tight. Maybe bloating also reminds women of TOM and they just don't like it.
  • daniip_la
    daniip_la Posts: 678 Member
    Options

Idk, how many dates has it been? Lol

I swear every interesting conversation on these forums happens while I'm teaching.
  • AnvilHead
    AnvilHead Posts: 18,344 Member
    Options
    Hornsby wrote: »
    If you cut bread, you will eventually die.

But if you don't cut out bread, you will eventually die too.
  • Hornsby
    Hornsby Posts: 10,322 Member
    Options
    AnvilHead wrote: »
    Hornsby wrote: »
    If you cut bread, you will eventually die.

But if you don't cut out bread, you will eventually die too.

Shhhhh....