Welcome to Debate Club! Please be aware that this is a space for respectful debate, and that your ideas will be challenged here. Please remember to critique the argument, not the author.

Sweetener - Good or Bad?

Options

Replies

• Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    Options
    Aaron_K123 wrote: »
    Well, I'm no scientist but....oh wait, yes I am. Hah hah...boom.

Sorry...couldn't resist :-)

:heart: <cerebral crush>

Be skeered :bigsmile:
  • Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    Options
    tomteboda wrote: »
    telegraph.co.uk/news/2016/10/21/two-diet-drinks-a-day-could-double-the-risk-of-diabetes-study-fi/

Two diet drinks a day could double the risk of diabetes, study finds

Huh...can anyone actually find this study.

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/?term=European+Journal+of+Endocrinology+[JOURNAL]+AND+Löfvenborg+[AUTHOR]

https://scholar.google.com/scholar?hl=en&amp;q="European+Journal+of+Endocrinology"+[JOURNAL]+AND+Löfvenborg+[AUTHOR]+&amp;btnG=&amp;as_sdt=1,48&amp;as_sdtp=

I'm not having any luck.

If you just normal google it all you get is articles like this talking about how a study was performed. Can't find the actual study.

Ah...got it.

http://www.eje-online.org/content/175/6/605.full?sid=ba47ad6e-ddee-4bfc-bc32-09f399c4ed22

I'd recommend that anyone who actually cares about this read the actual study, not articles written by journalists interpreting the study. Might also want to note that the study was a survey. It was a questionaire sent out to people and the result with drinks containing sweetener was no different than their control of other drinks.

My personal hypothesis about this diet drink - obesity - diabetes link they keep seeing is that people who are overweight are more likely than people who are not overweight to drink diet soda. Those people are also more likely to be obese or to develop obesity-related diseases. None of the statistics I've seen over the last 20 years has convinced me that there is any real functional association; it's a casual correlation owing to voluntary behavior modifications.

Yup

And you

Also <cerebral crush>

• Aaron_K123
    Aaron_K123 Posts: 7,122 Member
    Options
    tomteboda wrote: »
    telegraph.co.uk/news/2016/10/21/two-diet-drinks-a-day-could-double-the-risk-of-diabetes-study-fi/

Huh...can anyone actually find this study.

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/?term=European+Journal+of+Endocrinology+[JOURNAL]+AND+Löfvenborg+[AUTHOR]

https://scholar.google.com/scholar?hl=en&amp;q="European+Journal+of+Endocrinology"+[JOURNAL]+AND+Löfvenborg+[AUTHOR]+&amp;btnG=&amp;as_sdt=1,48&amp;as_sdtp=

I'm not having any luck.

If you just normal google it all you get is articles like this talking about how a study was performed. Can't find the actual study.

Ah...got it.

http://www.eje-online.org/content/175/6/605.full?sid=ba47ad6e-ddee-4bfc-bc32-09f399c4ed22

I'd recommend that anyone who actually cares about this read the actual study, not articles written by journalists interpreting the study. Might also want to note that the study was a survey. It was a questionaire sent out to people and the result with drinks containing sweetener was no different than their control of other drinks.

My personal hypothesis about this diet drink - obesity - diabetes link they keep seeing is that people who are overweight are more likely than people who are not overweight to drink diet soda. Those people are also more likely to be obese or to develop obesity-related diseases. None of the statistics I've seen over the last 20 years has convinced me that there is any real functional association; it's a casual correlation owing to voluntary behavior modifications.

Pretty much yeah. You select out of the population a subpopulation of people who drink a lot of diet drinks chances are you are selecting out people who are struggling with their weight (which is why they choose diet drinks in the first place) and of course obesity correlates with diabeties.
  • vingogly
    vingogly Posts: 1,785 Member
    edited October 2016
    Options
    Oxymoron: My opinion is that our bodies are not made to digest chemicals.

If you present something as a fact, you better be prepared to back up that statement. With good quality sources and data. Especially in a debate forum.

And everything we eat is made up of chemicals.
  • AnvilHead
    AnvilHead Posts: 18,344 Member
    Options
    A "study" based upon self-reported surveys isn't even a "study" - it's simply a poll. There's no research or science involved in it, it's simply asking questions (which can be cleverly slanted toward the desired result) and tabulating the results. Self-reporting is the least valid method of data acquisition (surpassed only by outright guessing) and basically invalidates any findings as nothing more than speculative correlation. Classic example of "garbage in, garbage out".
  • snickerscharlie
    snickerscharlie Posts: 8,578 Member
    Options
    Consider the source.
  • AnvilHead
    AnvilHead Posts: 18,344 Member
    Options
    Consider the source.

Already duly noted. Lol.
  • J72FIT
    J72FIT Posts: 5,948 Member
    edited October 2016
    Options
    ninerbuff wrote: »
    My opinion is my opinion, thus not wrong. Many, many articles about what chemicals do to your body, possible effects on the immune system, cancer links, weight gain, fatigue, etc. If you don't believe it, fine.
    Your opinion is your opinion. It doesn't mean it ISN'T wrong. The issue here is when people get refuted by actual evidence from clinical studies or from other people with more knowledge on the subject, their ego gets in the way of accepting that they could be incorrect. No one wants to be wrong, but if information is wrong, you should step back and accept it. I've had to do it a few times on the boards.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png

There is a tendency to confuse what an opinion is. Chocolate ice cream is better than vanilla, my opinion. No one can scientifically prove which is better, better is relative. The earth is flat, not an opinion, a scientifically proven fact. Anyone who believes otherwise is just wrong, regardless of what they think...
  • Alyssa_Is_LosingIt
    Alyssa_Is_LosingIt Posts: 4,696 Member
    Options
    J72FIT wrote: »
    ninerbuff wrote: »
    My opinion is my opinion, thus not wrong. Many, many articles about what chemicals do to your body, possible effects on the immune system, cancer links, weight gain, fatigue, etc. If you don't believe it, fine.
    Your opinion is your opinion. It doesn't mean it ISN'T wrong. The issue here is when people get refuted by actual evidence from clinical studies or from other people with more knowledge on the subject, their ego gets in the way of accepting that they could be incorrect. No one wants to be wrong, but if information is wrong, you should step back and accept it. I've had to do it a few times on the boards.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png

The earth is flat, not an opinion, a scientifically proven fact. Anyone who believes otherwise is just wrong, regardless of what they think...

Found the flat-earther! :D
  • 100df
    100df Posts: 668 Member
    Options
    I have been assured by cancer doctors numerous times that diet coke (artificial sweetners) does not cause cancer.

In terms of good or bad, limiting how much diet coke I consume makes it easier to stay within my calorie goal. I am not sure why but believe it is related to the artificial sweetners and caffeine. I have no idea if there is science behind this but limiting diet coke isn't harmful so it's what I do as help for the calorie goal and sleeping.

I have tried baking with artificial sweetners without what I consider successful results. I'd rather have the sugar and count the calories.
  • Aaron_K123
    Aaron_K123 Posts: 7,122 Member
    Options
    Carlos_421 wrote: »

Oh yeah, this must be why they are recommended to diabetics by the American Diabetes Association: http://www.diabetes.org/food-and-fitness/food/what-can-i-eat/making-healthy-food-choices/what-can-i-drink.html

And since when does correlation imply causation?

Who said anything about causation of anything in the article.

Literally the title of the article. "Two Diet Drinks a Day Could Double the Risk of Diabetes, Study Finds "

"Double" is used as a verb, with the subject being "Diet Drinks", which grammatically means that the subject is performing the verb.

It's a fear-mongering click-bait article based on a retrospective study that found a correlation. It means nothing other than the Telegraph is making money from all the clicks it is getting.

And one of the "experts" had this incredibly scientific statement to make:
    Tam Fry, from the National Obesity Forum, said: “This is yet another warning that sweetened drinks, though appearing harmless on the surface, can mess things up inside you. Why should you want to take that risk when a glass or two of water will slake your thirst and not put your health in jeopardy? "

Yes, when I want to make sure I sound smart and credible I use the phrase "can mess things up inside you."

But it does not claim Diet Drinks "does" cause diabetes.

But it does claim that they cause an increased risk of diabetes when, in fact, they only correlate with an increased risk.

This is intellectual dishonesty because, as we all know, correlation does not equal causation.

I don't think the actual study claims that, just the internet article.
  • paperpudding
    paperpudding Posts: 8,995 Member
    Options
    100df wrote: »
    I have been assured by cancer doctors numerous times that diet coke (artificial sweetners) does not cause cancer.

In terms of good or bad, limiting how much diet coke I consume makes it easier to stay within my calorie goal. I am not sure why but believe it is related to the artificial sweetners and caffeine. I have no idea if there is science behind this but limiting diet coke isn't harmful so it's what I do as help for the calorie goal and sleeping.

I have tried baking with artificial sweetners without what I consider successful results. I'd rather have the sugar and count the calories.

I think that is a perfectly reasonable individual response.

Ie you individually have found, for whatever unknown reason, that consuming diet coke makes keeping within your calorie goal harder and keeps you awake ( the latter probably being the caffeine)

And as you say limiting diet coke certainly is not harmful so if somebody doesn't want to drink it - don't. Simple.

Nobody would object to that.