Welcome to Debate Club! Please be aware that this is a space for respectful debate, and that your ideas will be challenged here. Please remember to critique the argument, not the author.

Sweetener - Good or Bad?

Options
167891012»

Replies

• ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,139 Member
    Options
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    Actually, I just realized that we know that Jesus is returning before the World Series is over:

http://babylonbee.com/news/second-coming-christ-scheduled-game-7-cubs-indians-world-series/
  • jondspen
    jondspen Posts: 253 Member
    Options
    And the link you gave is not to a scientific peer reviewed study at all

You're absolutely right, it link was an article that was not a scientific peer reviewed paper, but did have links in it to them.

As far as the studies that say the FDA, USDA, and all these food additive companies have done studies and found nothing wrong...it wouldn't be the first time they were wrong.

https://usrtk.org/the-fda-and-food-companies-have-been-wrong-before-they-have-assured-us-of-the-safety-of-products-that-were-not-safe/

So to all of you who think we are just 'Chicken Littles' running around latching on to fear-mongering claims to do...what ?....control the world's sweetener choices, I could really care less. I KNOW that while ingesting aspartame (~40 oz or more a day in diet soft drinks), I would have BAD leg aches. I KNOW that I did not believe at first aspartame was the problem, and only after quitting and then starting back on diet sodas, did I believe aspartame was the problem.

Could I be wrong...yes.
    Could it have been something else in the diet sodas...yes.
    Could it have been something else completely unrelated to diet sodas...yes.
    Could it have just been a coincidence that stopping diet sodas relieved the pain, and starting on them again caused it to re-appear...yes.

Unfortunately, I do not have the facilities, funding, or ability to thoroughly test why I was having such severe leg pains. All I do know is I feel better now, and regular sodas made with HFCS or real sugar do not cause my legs to ache for hours. Given this, I chose to the diet ones and just up my daily exercise to work off the extra calories.

As far as everyone else....I could give a crap less on what you believe.

• Carlos_421
    Carlos_421 Posts: 5,132 Member
    edited November 2016
    Options
    jondspen wrote: »
    And the link you gave is not to a scientific peer reviewed study at all

You're absolutely right, it link was an article that was not a scientific peer reviewed paper, but did have links in it to them.

As far as the studies that say the FDA, USDA, and all these food additive companies have done studies and found nothing wrong...it wouldn't be the first time they were wrong.

https://usrtk.org/the-fda-and-food-companies-have-been-wrong-before-they-have-assured-us-of-the-safety-of-products-that-were-not-safe/

So to all of you who think we are just 'Chicken Littles' running around latching on to fear-mongering claims to do...what ?....control the world's sweetener choices, I could really care less. I KNOW that while ingesting aspartame (~40 oz or more a day in diet soft drinks), I would have BAD leg aches. I KNOW that I did not believe at first aspartame was the problem, and only after quitting and then starting back on diet sodas, did I believe aspartame was the problem.

Could I be wrong...yes.
    Could it have been something else in the diet sodas...yes.
    Could it have been something else completely unrelated to diet sodas...yes.
    Could it have just been a coincidence that stopping diet sodas relieved the pain, and starting on them again caused it to re-appear...yes.

Unfortunately, I do not have the facilities, funding, or ability to thoroughly test why I was having such severe leg pains. All I do know is I feel better now, and regular sodas made with HFCS or real sugar do not cause my legs to ache for hours. Given this, I chose to the diet ones and just up my daily exercise to work off the extra calories.

As far as everyone else....I could give a crap less on what you believe.

FYI, a list of things that the FDA banned in the fifties and sixties due to the possibility of those things causing problems in animals does not stand up well as an argument to completely distrust the standards of the FDA.

ETA: If anything, it demonstrates the diligence of the FDA in enforcing the strictest standards of safety in that they took action to ban things that had previously been considered safe.
  • crzycatlady1
    crzycatlady1 Posts: 1,930 Member
    edited November 2016
    Options

I decided to lose the extra weight because I had a high/pre-diabetic glucose number. As I began losing weight I also started drinking diet soda. Fast forward a few years, and 50lbs lost, and my glucose numbers are consistently under 100. I consume artificial sweeteners every single day now (sidenote: when I was overweight/had high glucose numbers I did not use artificial sweeteners at all).
  • Tacklewasher
    Tacklewasher Posts: 7,122 Member
    Options
    Trying to get used to the taste of any of them. I really don't like the taste but otherwise get that they are safe.

@Aaron_K123 I like the info you present.