Welcome to Debate Club! Please be aware that this is a space for respectful debate, and that your ideas will be challenged here. Please remember to critique the argument, not the author.

Alcohol and Society

Options

Replies

• queenliz99
    queenliz99 Posts: 15,317 Member
    Options
    Yep, screaming guitar riffs! Missed that one!!
  • snickerscharlie
    snickerscharlie Posts: 8,578 Member
    Options
    Personal opinion, I can definitely live without alcohol, and rarely use it, spend my calories on foods I enjoy.
    Unlike cigarettes, alcohol does not physically affect other people, and it is personal choice whether or not you choose to use it.
    The one thing I strenuously object to is drinking alcohol and driving a vehicle. Then your ARE affecting others and should be making the adult decision not to drive. Putting others at risk for this behavior is unacceptable under any circumstances. There are enough bad "sober" drivers out on the roads, we don't need people who are under the influence.

Use of alcohol *can* physically affect other people, though, well beyond just drinking-and-driving. I work in the court system and I'd hazard a guess that a very conservative minimum of 50% of domestic violence cases are triggered by alcohol use. :(

Right, I did not think of this "cause & effect", but would have to guess that the majority of adults indulging would not commit domestic abuse while under the influence, and all should not be denied because of a low percent who do.
    I agree. But of at least 50% of people who *are* convicted of committing crimes involving domestic violence, alcohol was the driving or contributing factor. I don't know how many times I've heard, "My husband is a really sweet guy. But get a few drinks into him and he becomes violently abusive."
    I still think it is a personal, adult decision, whether or not we drink alcoholic beverages, and its use should not be legislated. Personal responsibility.
    Not disagreeing with this, either. Was just commenting on your original statement that other than drinking and driving, alcohol consumption does not physically affect other people. :)

• VioletRojo
    VioletRojo Posts: 596 Member
    edited September 2016
    Options
    Personal opinion, I can definitely live without alcohol, and rarely use it, spend my calories on foods I enjoy.
    Unlike cigarettes, alcohol does not physically affect other people, and it is personal choice whether or not you choose to use it.
    The one thing I strenuously object to is drinking alcohol and driving a vehicle. Then your ARE affecting others and should be making the adult decision not to drive. Putting others at risk for this behavior is unacceptable under any circumstances. There are enough bad "sober" drivers out on the roads, we don't need people who are under the influence.

it affects everyone around you. do your research it's not just harming yourself. alcoholics are unable to use responsibly

Use of alcohol *can* physically affect other people, though, well beyond just drinking-and-driving. I work in the court system and I'd hazard a guess that a very conservative minimum of 50% of domestic violence cases are triggered by alcohol use. :(

Right, I did not think of this "cause & effect", but would have to guess that the majority of adults indulging would not commit domestic abuse while under the influence, and all should not be denied because of a low percent who do.
    I still think it is a personal, adult decision, whether or not we drink alcoholic beverages, and its use should not be legislated. Personal responsibility.

alcoholics cannot just use responsibly. they are unable. it is a disease not a choice. it affects almost anyone the alcoholic comes into contact with..eventually!

Not everyone who drinks is an alcoholic. It's this all or nothing mindset that I don't understand.
  • Wheelhouse15
    Wheelhouse15 Posts: 5,575 Member
    edited September 2016
    Options
    Rather entertaining thread on a board where people say sugar is a poison and akin to cocaine it's almost an irony to see the rally around the First World's drug of choice. I come from a family that has been destroyed by alcoholism but I'm not opposed to it in moderation, however, I also find it hypocritical that we have governments that approves the drugs approved by the Old World (alcohol, Tabaco, caffeine etc) but are waging a "war on drugs" that are from other parts of the World, which are really no worse than the approved drug list.

I really just wish we could arrive at a way of dealing with the whole issue of all recreational drugs in a rational way rather than mindless defense or attack based on weather you use it the drug or not. And people equating food to alcohol are just missing a huge point, people don't commit violence or driving dangerously over too many donuts -- unless they are trying to beat the crowd to the donut shop I guess. Food is only affecting you while psychoactive drugs can affect others. It's a huge conundrum because the vast majority of people that consume alcohol aren't a problem any more than the vast majority of people who consume any other drug, but what do we do about those who do? My grandfather was a violent drunk and extremely abusive to his family when he drank and died at 55 vomiting blood on the walls. One of my uncles, who was my father's twin, died at the same age after years of liver disease. My father had no issues with drinking and only drank socially but I saw him completely drunk a few times but he was never violent nor did he ever pass out. Another uncle was a severe alcoholic and quit cold turkey when he realized he was headed down the same path as his father and brother.

I rarely drink but have nothing against it as far as a legal substance but I have seen a lot of issues. So I find this thread interesting and amusing on many levels. In the end, we tried prohibition and it didn't work, we tried the war on drugs and that's a disaster. I think we definitely need to find a way to allow all but the truly dangerous drugs to be legalized and that legalization should be based solely on the best medical data available. We also need to find a way to better treat and cope with those who develop addictions.

don't think I would make the claim that heroin and meth "are really no worse" than alcohol, tobacco and caffeine. I haven't heard of high school girls in rural Indiana being enslaved into prostitution (and sometimes being brutalized and killed) for the high they get from Schlitz or Starbucks.

Or doughnuts, for that matter. The point people on this thread are making with food is not that it is on the level of violent alcoholism, but it is a substance that leads to addictive-type behaviors, can be abused, and can lead to devastating physical problems, sicknesses and death, and cause horrifying emotional and mental anguish and pain that can reverberate through entire families (which can also lead to death). Same with sex, when it is abused. On other threads there is a lot of talk of taxing and prohibiting certain foods by people who feel that they, or others, need a nanny to mind them. Where amongst the many, many shades of gray do you draw the line at nannying vs. personal responsibility?

Interestingly, gluttony, lust and wrath (under which drunkeness/substance abuse falls, due to the destruction that it causes to the abuser as well as his/her family, as you have sadly detailed with your own family) are three of the seven deadly sins, which used to be taken quite seriously, and are now just mainly the butt of jokes in today's society. In fact, it is quite fashionable to be a libertine with these selected vices, and woe betide anyone who attempts to fat shame, drunk shame, or slut shame. Tobacco shaming is fine though, as is shame-shaming. I get the feeling, with the OP's post and others, that they would feel more supported in their efforts to avoid alcohol if there were a little more shaming and a little less promotion of alcohol. Personally, my household is disciplined and bounded by constraints of traditional morality, so I don't feel like we need any nanny gummint sniffing through our liquor cabinet, sugar bowl or underwear drawers. (Nor do we need other Christians making up silliness about the sacraments, ie, Jesus traveled in a time machine to bring a bottle of innocent, pure Welch's grape juice to the last supper, thus, denominations following the Bible and having actual evil wine is the depth of depravity 'n yergoingstraighttohell). If everyone practiced the same restraint, we as a society could have nicer things.

Regarding the "Old World" (Europe?) rejecting substances from "other" parts--tobacco is not originally from Europe, it is American, while opium has been used by Europeans since at least the ancient Greeks. Pepper wasn't the only "spice" being traded on the silk road. In fact, China had vast quantities of opium shoved down its throat at the point of a gun by the English as a result of two Opium Wars (England was importing "all the tea in China" and had an untenable trade deficit and a shortage of sterling, which they solved by sacking and bombarding the Chinese coast until the Chinese agreed to import and legalize a substance that it saw destroying its culture and morality). Some of England's finest literature over the centuries, particularly with Romanticism, has been produced under the widely-accepted influence of opium, yet today it happens to be banned, not just for the adverse consequences seen with its more natural form, or because we are racist against Asian-grown drugs, but also because it can easily be refined into heroin. The British East India Company used opium (tightly restricted as a trade monopoly) to harness a docile and compliant workforce in places like India and Burma, so it might make you raise an eyebrow when you look at our own government and the control and cash flow it enjoys with alcohol (officially, along with the lucrative cut it gets from the drug trade). Also, what is the deal with US military protectionism of opium fields in Afghanistan, which we conveniently conquered, kinda? It accounts for more than 90% of illegal heroin world wide. The war on drugs, as you note, is already a hot mess, not least because the government seems to be reaping benefits from both sides of it.

So do you always ignore the context and just go to extremes to compare meth to coffee? I said many drugs, like pot, opium, Khat, mushrooms etc. and yes alcohol is just as bad when it is abused as many others including meth. If you want to go to extremes though is a drug used frequently by Dr. John Hopkins (heroin) really that bad then? And I mentioned approved by the Old World, yes Europe, and Tabaco certainly was even if was imported.

As for opium, most drugs were in fact legal until rather recently and those that were banned were done so often arbitrarily, but many opioids are not actually illegal, but rather highly controlled. Most of the worst drugs on the street are actually synthetic versions of these that were given in a misguided attempt to find a safer pain management substance. Sticking with Morphine would have been prefereable. As for my government? I'm not American so don't ask me about a foreign power and their meddling in another country.

Reguarding your liquor cabnet I agree, and as long as you aren't hurting yourself or others who really cares? That was much of my point but at the same time we need to find a way to deal better with those who are not so disciplined as you and are being harmed by a legal substance that the government makes a lot of money off of through taxes.

Most of your post is rather tangled with so many issues I'm just wondering what you were actually responding too. Other than you feel like moralizing something for some reason.
  • Wheelhouse15
    Options
    VioletRojo wrote: »

it affects everyone around you. do your research it's not just harming yourself. alcoholics are unable to use responsibly

alcoholics cannot just use responsibly. they are unable. it is a disease not a choice. it affects almost anyone the alcoholic comes into contact with..eventually!

Not everyone who drinks is an alcoholic. It's this all or nothing mindset that I don't understand.

The vast majority of people have no issue with alcohol, and the disease model is not helpful.
  • KANGOOJUMPS
    KANGOOJUMPS Posts: 6,472 Member
    Options
    makes me want a drink.now.
  • Karb_Kween
    Karb_Kween Posts: 2,681 Member
    Options
    doggerland wrote: »
    Karb_Kween wrote: »
    There are really only about two people doing the extreme no alcohol judgement thing in this thread. Meh, who cares. It's like when there is a thread about sex and people come in to say: I have never had a one night stand because I am classy. It's fine to never have a one night stand. It's following it with a stupid judgement that makes the whole environment feel uncomfortable and awkward. Like this thread that could have been an interesting conversation, but now it's just dealing with the judgment and reactions. Definitely a dumpster fire now.

I'm scared to say anything because I imbibe

I do, too. Sometimes more than I would prefer, but not in the quantities I used to.

My thoughts about alcohol and society are around how alcohol use by women seems to be increasing. I just started reading this book "Drink: The Intimate Relationship Between Women and Alcohol" - https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00BATKXMU/ref=dp-kindle-redirect?_encoding=UTF8&btkr=1https://amazon.com/dp/B00BATKXMU/ref=dp-kindle-redirect?_encoding=UTF8&btkr=1 so far, it's been really interesting.

I think I'm being young for now lol
  • Karb_Kween
    Karb_Kween Posts: 2,681 Member
    Options
    So anyway I guess I'll tell a little about myself

I grew up with a nasty drunk

I used to not like drinking but eventually I started to love it

When I was a kid I used to not understand what went through an alcoholics head

Now I know

The only problem I have with alcohol is my BF bitching about how much I drink, and what I drink for that matter

He sucks the fun out of everything
  • French_Peasant
    French_Peasant Posts: 1,639 Member
    Options
    Rather entertaining thread on a board where people say sugar is a poison and akin to cocaine it's almost an irony to see the rally around the First World's drug of choice. I come from a family that has been destroyed by alcoholism but I'm not opposed to it in moderation, however, I also find it hypocritical that we have governments that approves the drugs approved by the Old World (alcohol, Tabaco, caffeine etc) but are waging a "war on drugs" that are from other parts of the World, which are really no worse than the approved drug list.

I really just wish we could arrive at a way of dealing with the whole issue of all recreational drugs in a rational way rather than mindless defense or attack based on weather you use it the drug or not. And people equating food to alcohol are just missing a huge point, people don't commit violence or driving dangerously over too many donuts -- unless they are trying to beat the crowd to the donut shop I guess. Food is only affecting you while psychoactive drugs can affect others. It's a huge conundrum because the vast majority of people that consume alcohol aren't a problem any more than the vast majority of people who consume any other drug, but what do we do about those who do? My grandfather was a violent drunk and extremely abusive to his family when he drank and died at 55 vomiting blood on the walls. One of my uncles, who was my father's twin, died at the same age after years of liver disease. My father had no issues with drinking and only drank socially but I saw him completely drunk a few times but he was never violent nor did he ever pass out. Another uncle was a severe alcoholic and quit cold turkey when he realized he was headed down the same path as his father and brother.

I rarely drink but have nothing against it as far as a legal substance but I have seen a lot of issues. So I find this thread interesting and amusing on many levels. In the end, we tried prohibition and it didn't work, we tried the war on drugs and that's a disaster. I think we definitely need to find a way to allow all but the truly dangerous drugs to be legalized and that legalization should be based solely on the best medical data available. We also need to find a way to better treat and cope with those who develop addictions.

don't think I would make the claim that heroin and meth "are really no worse" than alcohol, tobacco and caffeine. I haven't heard of high school girls in rural Indiana being enslaved into prostitution (and sometimes being brutalized and killed) for the high they get from Schlitz or Starbucks.

Or doughnuts, for that matter. The point people on this thread are making with food is not that it is on the level of violent alcoholism, but it is a substance that leads to addictive-type behaviors, can be abused, and can lead to devastating physical problems, sicknesses and death, and cause horrifying emotional and mental anguish and pain that can reverberate through entire families (which can also lead to death). Same with sex, when it is abused. On other threads there is a lot of talk of taxing and prohibiting certain foods by people who feel that they, or others, need a nanny to mind them. Where amongst the many, many shades of gray do you draw the line at nannying vs. personal responsibility?

Interestingly, gluttony, lust and wrath (under which drunkeness/substance abuse falls, due to the destruction that it causes to the abuser as well as his/her family, as you have sadly detailed with your own family) are three of the seven deadly sins, which used to be taken quite seriously, and are now just mainly the butt of jokes in today's society. In fact, it is quite fashionable to be a libertine with these selected vices, and woe betide anyone who attempts to fat shame, drunk shame, or slut shame. Tobacco shaming is fine though, as is shame-shaming. I get the feeling, with the OP's post and others, that they would feel more supported in their efforts to avoid alcohol if there were a little more shaming and a little less promotion of alcohol. Personally, my household is disciplined and bounded by constraints of traditional morality, so I don't feel like we need any nanny gummint sniffing through our liquor cabinet, sugar bowl or underwear drawers. (Nor do we need other Christians making up silliness about the sacraments, ie, Jesus traveled in a time machine to bring a bottle of innocent, pure Welch's grape juice to the last supper, thus, denominations following the Bible and having actual evil wine is the depth of depravity 'n yergoingstraighttohell). If everyone practiced the same restraint, we as a society could have nicer things.

Regarding the "Old World" (Europe?) rejecting substances from "other" parts--tobacco is not originally from Europe, it is American, while opium has been used by Europeans since at least the ancient Greeks. Pepper wasn't the only "spice" being traded on the silk road. In fact, China had vast quantities of opium shoved down its throat at the point of a gun by the English as a result of two Opium Wars (England was importing "all the tea in China" and had an untenable trade deficit and a shortage of sterling, which they solved by sacking and bombarding the Chinese coast until the Chinese agreed to import and legalize a substance that it saw destroying its culture and morality). Some of England's finest literature over the centuries, particularly with Romanticism, has been produced under the widely-accepted influence of opium, yet today it happens to be banned, not just for the adverse consequences seen with its more natural form, or because we are racist against Asian-grown drugs, but also because it can easily be refined into heroin. The British East India Company used opium (tightly restricted as a trade monopoly) to harness a docile and compliant workforce in places like India and Burma, so it might make you raise an eyebrow when you look at our own government and the control and cash flow it enjoys with alcohol (officially, along with the lucrative cut it gets from the drug trade). Also, what is the deal with US military protectionism of opium fields in Afghanistan, which we conveniently conquered, kinda? It accounts for more than 90% of illegal heroin world wide. The war on drugs, as you note, is already a hot mess, not least because the government seems to be reaping benefits from both sides of it.

So do you always ignore the context and just go to extremes to compare meth to coffee? I said many drugs, like pot, opium, Khat, mushrooms etc. and yes alcohol is just as bad when it is abused as many others including meth. If you want to go to extremes though is a drug used frequently by Dr. John Hopkins (heroin) really that bad then? And I mentioned approved by the Old World, yes Europe, and Tabaco certainly was even if was imported.

As for opium, most drugs were in fact legal until rather recently and those that were banned were done so often arbitrarily, but many opioids are not actually illegal, but rather highly controlled. Most of the worst drugs on the street are actually synthetic versions of these that were given in a misguided attempt to find a safer pain management substance. Sticking with Morphine would have been prefereable. As for my government? I'm not American so don't ask me about a foreign power and their meddling in another country.

Reguarding your liquor cabnet I agree, and as long as you aren't hurting yourself or others who really cares? That was much of my point but at the same time we need to find a way to deal better with those who are not so disciplined as you and are being harmed by a legal substance that the government makes a lot of money off of through taxes.

Most of your post is rather tangled with so many issues I'm just wondering what you were actually responding too. Other than you feel like moralizing something for some reason.

Why the nasty and aggressive response? Am I not allowed to share additional thoughts and perspectives? I just pointed out that I am not aware of people enslaving themselves for alcohol, or pot, betel nuts, or khat, for that matter.
  • Wheelhouse15
    Options
    Karb_Kween wrote: »
    So anyway I guess I'll tell a little about myself

I grew up with a nasty drunk

I used to not like drinking but eventually I started to love it

When I was a kid I used to not understand what went through an alcoholics head

Now I know

The only problem I have with alcohol is my BF bitching about how much I drink, and what I drink for that matter

He sucks the fun out of everything

Young people tend to drink a lot but most reduce their drinking quite a bit as they rich their late 20's. I just hope you aren't on the road to alcoholism, it's not something I would wish upon anyone.
  • Wheelhouse15
    Options

Why the nasty and aggressive response? Am I not allowed to share additional thoughts and perspectives? I just pointed out that I am not aware of people enslaving themselves for alcohol, or pot, betel nuts, or khat, for that matter.

I didn't mean to appear aggresive but I'm just wondering what the response was about and it seemed that you were talking about points I had no issue with, which confused me. I was a little distracted at the end and should have rethought the last few things but the first part was basically a reiteration. I don't think alcohol is a problem for most but it is only legal by tradition when you consider the dangers of it compared to other banned substances. I really thought the history leason was a little much lol.

I have nothing against anyone who drinks but I just choose not to do it much because I know what can happen. I've seen it too much and I now my family history. It shaped me as a child and I hope others understand that it's a danger if abused but a great thing when used in moderation.

I appolgize if I came off a little rough but my thoughts are still a little confused in my own head at times.

• STLBADGIRL
    STLBADGIRL Posts: 1,693 Member
    Options

Agree...
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    With which part? All of it? I ask because you seemed to be expressing different views before.
  • BinaryPulsar
    BinaryPulsar Posts: 8,927 Member
    edited September 2016
    Options
    My personal history is: Grew up in a family with lots of alcoholism and drug addiction. Alcohol became a part of my life at a young age. I started drinking at 14. It made me feel sick a lot. I could never keep up with how much everyone drank and how much they wanted to drink. And I got too drunk easily. I also couldn't tolerate drugs at all (bad reactions). To the point that I wouldn't even take them under doctor supervision (not for childbirth or anything). I stopped drinking at age 17. I drank a few times in college. But, a drink or two got me too drunk (people probably mixed them too strong for me). I didn't drink at all from age 22 to 32. Then started going out for Mom's night out with friends. Still felt sick from a small amount. I drank occasionally from age 32 to 36. I now have a medical issue and can't drink. The medical issue wasn't caused by alcohol. It was a medical injury from being misdiagnosed and wrongly prescribed meds. I feel better when I don't drink. But, an occasional drink would be ok, if it didn't make me so sick. It's not a "pleasurable" experience for me. So the downside outweighs any potential positives. I appreciate that my husband is a non-drinker. As another person described, my husband was raised by a recovered alcoholic and never wanted to drink. He tried a sip and he didn't like it. He's a scientist and didn't want to do anything that interfered with his mind. I definitely prefer a non-drinker husband over the alcoholism I grew up with. I'm happy. But, I completely respect that many people have a positive and healthy experience with alcohol and that it's fun and relaxing for many people. I have many mixed feelings about it personally. And I would never advocate for stricter laws. But, talking and people sharing their experiences is interesting to me.
  • Hornsby
    Hornsby Posts: 10,322 Member
    Options
    lemurcat12 wrote: »
    With which part? All of it? I ask because you seemed to be expressing different views before.
    we tried the war on drugs and that's a disaster. I think we definitely need to find a way to allow all but the truly dangerous drugs to be legalized

I, at the very least, agree with this... happy160.gifmexsmoke.gif

• 11Templars
    11Templars Posts: 444 Member
    Options
    I myself don't drink at all. Never have.. (Truly). ( I do all the stuff regular dates do, you just don't have to get me drunk 1st)..lol

That being said; I'm not a big advocate for dictating what ppl do in their own homes. Sure, I'm from Canada, and yes, also British Columbia, but if ppl want to smoke some weed or drink a brown pop, then whatever. I don't believe in punishing the many, because of the few.

America has long since proven that the "War on Drugs" does far more harm then the actual drugs themselves do. Ironically, making things "illegal" typically just make those ting easier to get by the folks you don't necessarily want accessing them. For example, it's easier for kids to buy a bag of weed then a 6 pack of beer.

I prefer more of a harm reduction strategy to things like this. just my 2 cents (Canadian, so like 1.2 cents US) ..haha

• BinaryPulsar
    BinaryPulsar Posts: 8,927 Member
    Options
    I'm in BC also for a decade. But grew up in the states. So, in BC the drinking age is lower. But, the alcohol laws are stricter.
  • SingingSingleTracker
    SingingSingleTracker Posts: 1,866 Member
    Options
    zamphir66 wrote: »
    Also consider: the top decile (10%) of drinkers consumes 73 standard drinks a week. Source -- https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/wonk/wp/2014/09/25/think-you-drink-a-lot-this-chart-will-tell-you/

From the link...

The shape of this usage curve isn't exactly unique. The Pareto Law states that "the top 20 percent of buyers for most any consumer product account for fully 80 percent of sales," according to Cook. The rule can be applied to everything from hair care products to X-Boxes.

At least I don't use any hair care products or X-Boxes. B)

Wow, the top group (10% of US drinkers) average 73.85 drinks per week?!!!