Welcome to Debate Club! Please be aware that this is a space for respectful debate, and that your ideas will be challenged here. Please remember to critique the argument, not the author.

Alcohol and Society

Options

Replies

• Therealobi1
    Therealobi1 Posts: 3,261 Member
    Options
    STLBADGIRL wrote: »
    Getting back to society, the thing I notice most about society's views on alcohol is that more people who don't drink think everyone should not drink, than people who drink think everyone should drink. And a lot of those that think no one should drink seem to think themselves superior in some way to those that drink.

Those are of course grand generalizations and not always true, but IDK how to talk about "society" without generalizations. But it seems true more often than not to me.

Well I for one am stating my opinion and by no means think I am superior to anyone else. I have my 'thing' like everyone else - it's just not drinking, and that makes me no better or superior to anyone. It's a matter of perception to me. As for me with stating 'socially accepted' I have seen where it was okay for a business meeting to happen over dinner and drinks, after hour work events to happen with drinks involved, sporting events, etc....and it is not frowned upon...but you do not see the same events happening with heroine or other drugs involved.

Heroin does not equal alcohol in any way shape or form. Stop it.

I have a right to post my opinion like anyone else...so you stop. I initially stated where my focus was and I compared how alcohol is more socially accepted....and gave an example since she questioned ME.

Still no where close to heroin. Heroin has nothing to do with the OP. Clumping things together does not make it right just because it's your experience.

As someone who has lived with a partner and loss them to heroin and speed, and as a person who has worked in prisons, hospitals and community settings with both drug and alcohol addicts, I do not think that this is such a terrible comparison. If alcohol had just been discovered now, instead if being a historical staple of our species for 1000's of years, it would likely be made illegal.

Can you use heroine responsibly?
  • queenliz99
    queenliz99 Posts: 15,317 Member
    Options
    Does anyone find this ad humorous? Lol

https://youtu.be/_rUyld6KTi4
  • Packerjohn
    Packerjohn Posts: 4,855 Member
    Options
    Packerjohn wrote: »
    Wetcoaster wrote: »
    Hangover-free booze could replace the rough stuff by 2050

http://www.theprovince.com/technology/science/hangover+free+booze+could+replace+rough+stuff+2050/12218177/story.html#

Say goodbye to that Saturday morning hangover.

David Nutt, an Imperial College professor and former government drugs advisor has reportedly patented 90 types of synthetic alcohol compounds that will usher in a new, and better, hangover-free world. According to Nutt, the substance will imitate the pleasurable effects of alcohol without any of the negative consequences.

“It will be there alongside the scotch and the gin, they’ll dispense the alcosynth into your cocktail and then you’ll have the pleasure without damaging your liver and your heart,” he told The Independent.

He claims that his team also developed a way to “max out” the effects, meaning that you could achieve an ideal level of inebriation without getting too “drunk.”

The active ingredients used by Nutt are currently unknown – and the inventor won’t be giving away his secrets anytime soon. Others have tried creating similar synthetic compounds using benzodiazepine derivatives but Nutt says his product is different.

Introducing a safe and viable hangover-free alcohol would obviously have a huge impact on not only public health but on the economy as well. The Center for Disease Control reported last year that excessive drinking in the U.S. cost the economy $250 billion (although food delivery services and Netflix probably both benefit nicely).

Two of the “alcosynth” compounds are currently being tested extensively. One is described as “tasteless” and the other as slightly bitter.

What a leap forward for society that will be. Getting drunk without the consequences of a hangover the next day to remind you that maybe you drink too much. <eye rolly>

My nephew in college informed me the big thing to avoid a hangover is consuming Pedialite before bed. I checked and now about 1/3 of the sales of the stuff are to adults for hangover prevention instead of for babies with dehydration issues.

Pedialite's not exactly cheap, either! I guess just drinking a bit less wouldn't be an option? ;)

The community where I live had a large state university. They're living pretty good over there, few bottles of Pedialite isn't going to phase them.
  • GaleHawkins
    GaleHawkins Posts: 8,160 Member
    Options
    MikilouB wrote: »
    I think we are getting dangerously close to a "nanny" society. Yes, in some instances alcohol is a problem and for some people a danger; however, at what point do we allow fee choice in our homes and in private life. To take it one step further...I have a weight issue, because of my own food choices, should someone else decide if I should not be able to buy or eat that doughnut or pasta. Slippery slope when we start to decide for others what should or shouldn't be good for them.

Definitely agree. There is no doubt that alcoholism is harmful. And we could have more support in dealing with that. But, that doesn't mean that no one can ever drink any alcohol.

Yes most any addiction can be harmful
  • queenliz99
    Options
    I'm addicted to my petting my cats, they hate it! Lol
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    Mine are addicted to it! Not in a harmful way, though. It's a codependency, maybe. ;-)
  • queenliz99
    Options
  • French_Peasant
    French_Peasant Posts: 1,639 Member
    Options
    queenliz99 wrote: »

Drinkin' whiskey n' splittin' cordwood on a barren treeless crag that you just free climbed. Seems legit. I kept waiting for it to be an SNL commercial.
  • Chef_Barbell
    Chef_Barbell Posts: 6,644 Member
    edited September 2016
    Options
    Getting back to society, the thing I notice most about society's views on alcohol is that more people who don't drink think everyone should not drink, than people who drink think everyone should drink. And a lot of those that think no one should drink seem to think themselves superior in some way to those that drink.

Those are of course grand generalizations and not always true, but IDK how to talk about "society" without generalizations. But it seems true more often than not to me.

Well I for one am stating my opinion and by no means think I am superior to anyone else. I have my 'thing' like everyone else - it's just not drinking, and that makes me no better or superior to anyone. It's a matter of perception to me. As for me with stating 'socially accepted' I have seen where it was okay for a business meeting to happen over dinner and drinks, after hour work events to happen with drinks involved, sporting events, etc....and it is not frowned upon...but you do not see the same events happening with heroine or other drugs involved.

Heroin does not equal alcohol in any way shape or form. Stop it.

I have a right to post my opinion like anyone else...so you stop. I initially stated where my focus was and I compared how alcohol is more socially accepted....and gave an example since she questioned ME.

Still no where close to heroin. Heroin has nothing to do with the OP. Clumping things together does not make it right just because it's your experience.

As someone who has lived with a partner and loss them to heroin and speed, and as a person who has worked in prisons, hospitals and community settings with both drug and alcohol addicts, I do not think that this is such a terrible comparison. If alcohol had just been discovered now, instead if being a historical staple of our species for 1000's of years, it would likely be made illegal.

Yeah.. no.

So you have a right to an opinion but no one else does. I'll bear that in mind.

Because there is responsible heroin use in society... Right. Like I said... yeah... no.
  • EttaMaeMartin
    EttaMaeMartin Posts: 303 Member
    Options
    being a recovering alcoholic of 10 years, i was on deaths door. i agree with the original poster. in is in the genes and it is a disease, so there is no controlling it, no cure, just one day at a time in remission. i think people in general need to be aware of it's path of hell when used in excess. i did not cause it, i can not control it, and i can not cure it!
  • EttaMaeMartin
    Options
    SMKing75 wrote: »
    Everyone is going to do what they want regardless and its NOT my job to worry about it. I have enough of my own problems. I can give two F's about everyone else, especially strangers. Everyone has a vice. People need to mind their own business and concentrate on themselves.

that is great, but people are dying daily. hopefully it does not come your way with that perception.
  • Chef_Barbell
    Chef_Barbell Posts: 6,644 Member
    Options
    SMKing75 wrote: »
    Everyone is going to do what they want regardless and its NOT my job to worry about it. I have enough of my own problems. I can give two F's about everyone else, especially strangers. Everyone has a vice. People need to mind their own business and concentrate on themselves.

that is great, but people are dying daily. hopefully it does not come your way with that perception.

We all will die. No one comes out alive here.
  • snowflake930
    snowflake930 Posts: 2,188 Member
    Options
    Personal opinion, I can definitely live without alcohol, and rarely use it, spend my calories on foods I enjoy.
    Unlike cigarettes, alcohol does not physically affect other people, and it is personal choice whether or not you choose to use it.
    The one thing I strenuously object to is drinking alcohol and driving a vehicle. Then your ARE affecting others and should be making the adult decision not to drive. Putting others at risk for this behavior is unacceptable under any circumstances. There are enough bad "sober" drivers out on the roads, we don't need people who are under the influence.
  • snowflake930
    snowflake930 Posts: 2,188 Member
    Options
    Personal opinion, I can definitely live without alcohol, and rarely use it, spend my calories on foods I enjoy.
    Unlike cigarettes, alcohol does not physically affect other people, and it is personal choice whether or not you choose to use it.
    The one thing I strenuously object to is drinking alcohol and driving a vehicle. Then your ARE affecting others and should be making the adult decision not to drive. Putting others at risk for this behavior is unacceptable under any circumstances. There are enough bad "sober" drivers out on the roads, we don't need people who are under the influence.

Use of alcohol *can* physically affect other people, though, well beyond just drinking-and-driving. I work in the court system and I'd hazard a guess that a very conservative minimum of 50% of domestic violence cases are triggered by alcohol use. :(

Right, I did not think of this "cause & effect", but would have to guess that the majority of adults indulging would not commit domestic abuse while under the influence, and all should not be denied because of a low percent who do.
    I still think it is a personal, adult decision, whether or not we drink alcoholic beverages, and its use should not be legislated. Personal responsibility.

• EttaMaeMartin
    Options

it affects everyone around you. do your research it's not just harming yourself. alcoholics are unable to use responsibly

Use of alcohol *can* physically affect other people, though, well beyond just drinking-and-driving. I work in the court system and I'd hazard a guess that a very conservative minimum of 50% of domestic violence cases are triggered by alcohol use. :(

Right, I did not think of this "cause & effect", but would have to guess that the majority of adults indulging would not commit domestic abuse while under the influence, and all should not be denied because of a low percent who do.
    I still think it is a personal, adult decision, whether or not we drink alcoholic beverages, and its use should not be legislated. Personal responsibility.

alcoholics cannot just use responsibly. they are unable. it is a disease not a choice. it affects almost anyone the alcoholic comes into contact with..eventually!
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    edited September 2016
    Options

it affects everyone around you. do your research it's not just harming yourself. alcoholics are unable to use responsibly

We are talking about non-abusive or addictive use, which the majority of the population can do without problem.

I don't drink (addiction is rampant in my family and whether this is cultural or genetic in some way doesn't matter, and I don't drink normally). However, that said, I know MANY people who drink in a normal social way and that they do does not affect me or anyone else negatively. (Obviously one should not drink and drive.)
  • French_Peasant
    French_Peasant Posts: 1,639 Member
    Options

Drinkin' whiskey n' splittin' cordwood on a barren treeless crag that you just free climbed. Seems legit. I kept waiting for it to be an SNL commercial.

I think adding a chainsaw would have brought the ad to a new level excitement. Dontcha think?

You know, now that you mention it, without a chainsaw, this commercial is NOT sufficiently manly. Why, a REAL man, drinking REAL whiskey, would surely pack a chainsaw, saw chaps, and protective eyewear in order to properly stack a cord of firewood on top of a treeless crag. It wouldn't add much weight to the free climb (although I am confused because at one point I saw rail road spikes being driven into the side of the mountain? But no bolts or other belay equipment? MANLY!!), what with all the splitting mauls, knives, hammers, whetstones, pre-chainsawed log rounds, fifths of whiskey and such-like that were hauled up.

I brought all that crap with me last time I freeclimbed K2, AND had two motocross bikes soaring decoratively through the air to some exciting guitar riffs.