"Lite" vs Normal

Options

Replies

• nvmomketo
    nvmomketo Posts: 12,019 Member
    edited September 2016
    Options
    nvmomketo wrote: »

. "Lite" is a sign that the product should be avoided. Normal foods (dairy products mainly) .....

~sigh~
    When are people going to stop vilifying foods?

~Sigh~
    When are people going to stop quoting out of context?

I said:
    I eat a low carb and high fat diet so "lite" to me generally means they removed the natural fats and often added sugars or other ingredients to kee the flavour and mouth feel. "Lite" is a sign that the product should be avoided. Normal foods (dairy products mainly) have a higher fat and lower carb content which fits my macros better.

It was in reference to my LCHF diet, used to treat autoimmune disorders and insulin resistnace. I made no reference to all other people following my diet or my opinions.
  • BinaryPulsar
    BinaryPulsar Posts: 8,927 Member
    Options
    I have a malabsorption disorder and react unexpectedly bad to fillers. I definitely choose things that I know what they are.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    Again, low fat dairy does NOT have added sugar, and it has pretty much the same sugar content as full fat.

Here's an example:

Fullfat Fage Total: 200 g, 190 calories, 8 g sugar, 18 g protein.
    Fage Total 2%: 200 g, 150 calories, 8 g sugar, 20 g protein.
    Fage Total 0%:170 g, 100 calories, 7 g sugar, 18 g protein.
    Adjusted to 200 g, the 0% would be 118 calories, 8 g sugar, and 21 g protein.

I don't know why people keep repeating this weird myth that lowfat dairy has added sugar.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    I haven't read the previous posts so please forgive me if the conversation was now along a different route.

I eat a low carb and high fat diet so "lite" to me generally means they removed the natural fats and often added sugars or other ingredients to kee the flavour and mouth feel. "Lite" is a sign that the product should be avoided. Normal foods (dairy products mainly) have a higher fat and lower carb content which fits my macros better.

If trying for lower fat and higher carb, "lite" products will fit macros better.

Dairy products don't typically add sugar or anything else....Lite is not a sign that a product should be avoided
  • nvmomketo
    edited September 2016
    Options
    cwolfman13 wrote: »
    I haven't read the previous posts so please forgive me if the conversation was now along a different route.

If trying for lower fat and higher carb, "lite" products will fit macros better.

Dairy products don't typically add sugar or anything else....Lite is not a sign that a product should be avoided

I didn't say dairy had added sugar. I said, "Normal foods (mainly dairy products) have a higher fat and lower carb content which fits my macros better." I referenced dairy because I don't eat many sorts of products that call themselves "lite" because that sort of product does not fit my macros. Lite cookies, snack bars, bread, crackers are not foods that I eat. I do eat dairy but I will skip lite cheese or yogurt because they are lower fat or have sugars added.

Lite is still a word that "I" avoid because those foods do not fit my macros. Lite foods fit other people's macros.
  • CrescentVolf
    CrescentVolf Posts: 87 Member
    Options
    Wow, didn't realize how many awesome perspectives I would get on this topic!

Also, yes, I really just because something sounds icky doesn't mean it is bad. But for me and a lot of people, my mind kinda tricks me into thinking it tastes gross just because it sounds gross. A lot of taste is in my head lol
  • flagrantavidity
    flagrantavidity Posts: 218 Member
    edited September 2016
    Options
    I'm curious to hear others opinions. Do you still go for the lighter option? Or like me, prefer limited ingredient? :)

It depends. I'm ok with "chemical" names in ingredients, break down any ingredient and it has a base structure, usually referred to by its chemical name.

I am a fan of reduced/low/no sugar and salt options, I like to add my own when I can.

As for tacos, my wife and I use plain non-fat Greek Yogurt in place of sour cream, yum! We love Tacos!!

19sizslyxbbh.jpeg

9yfdytk7nvt9.jpeg

• ashjongfit
    ashjongfit Posts: 147 Member
    Options
    I go for the least amount of ingredients that I can. I also have a very hard time hitting my fat macros so I rarely get anything lower fat than it needs to be. PS light sour cream just makes me want to cry, I've never found it tastes remotely like sour cream.
  • GottaBurnEmAll
    GottaBurnEmAll Posts: 7,722 Member
    edited September 2016
    Options

. "Lite" is a sign that the product should be avoided. Normal foods (dairy products mainly) .....

~sigh~

Seriously. In the case of a lot of dairy products, it simply means that skim milk was used. I prefer not to ingest a lot of saturated fat. I'm also a vegetarian who gets a lot of protein from dairy. I eat a lot of unflavored lowfat Greek yogurt (no added sugars), low fat cottage cheese, and low fat milk. There is nothing added to these products. Fat is simply reduced.

Additionally, the carbohydrate counts for these items are almost identical to their full-fat counterparts.
  • Sloth2016
    Sloth2016 Posts: 846 Member
    Options
    Unless I can taste the difference, I usually pick the lower calorie option.
  • nvmomketo
    Options

~sigh~

~Sigh~
    When are people going to stop quoting out of context?

I said:

It was in reference to my LCHF diet, used to treat autoimmune disorders and insulin resistnace. I made no reference to all other people following my diet or my opinions.

Please don't even go there with treating autoimmune disorders. You might be using it that way, but plenty of people with autoimmune disorders get no help from any specialized diet like that.

Sweeping generalizations like this about the health benefits of your way of eating do your position no favors.

I ate that way for years with several autoimmune conditions and found no relief. I also felt worse than I feel now that I am a normal weight, eating 200g carbs a day, on a low fat diet.

Mileage varies when it comes to dietary approaches to dealing with disease states. Also? IR often responds simply to weight reduction and exercise. You've chosen your path. Others might choose another.

But that's why I said, "It was in reference to my LCHF diet, used to treat autoimmune disorders and insulin resistnace. I made no reference to all other people following my diet or my opinions."

As people say, I do me. You do you.
  • cerise_noir
    cerise_noir Posts: 5,468 Member
    edited September 2016
    Options
    Aquawave wrote: »
    We buy Daisy full fat sour cream. Less "stuff" in it. If you cannot pronounce it, it is not food.
    Hahahaha! What about food from different regions of the world? All fake?

Something useful-ish for me is it is difficult for me to detect flavor changes between, say, Sprite and Sprite Zero. So I could go for the lighter option, but I guess I prefer more wholesome if there is a more wholesome alternative (I realize with soda and diet soda, neither are wholesome lol)

You should go to www.foodbabe.com and you will learn everything you need to know about this topic.
    lemurcat12 wrote: »
    Much better source for information on diet soda: http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/1308408/why-aspartame-isnt-scary/p1

Foodbabe is basically not a good source for anything.

This.
  • paperpudding
    paperpudding Posts: 9,031 Member
    Options

Also, yes, I really just because something sounds icky doesn't mean it is bad. But for me and a lot of people, my mind kinda tricks me into thinking it tastes gross just because it sounds gross. A lot of taste is in my head lol

I think that is a fair point - yes, I agree a lot of taste is in our head - that is why presentation of food makes such a difference, for example.

I once bought a bag of raspberry jubes and ate them watching TV, so in the semi dark.

They tasted bit funny so I turned on light and found they were covered in a sort of spidery mould.

Even though I know it was only that bag, this has put me off raspberry jubes ever since.

Yes, off topic anecdote, I know - but just acknowledging that food dislikes are not always rational

• Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    Options

I think that is a fair point - yes, I agree a lot of taste is in our head - that is why presentation of food makes such a difference, for example.

I once bought a bag of raspberry jubes and ate them watching TV, so in the semi dark.

They tasted bit funny so I turned on light and found they were covered in a sort of spidery mould.

Even though I know it was only that bag, this has put me off raspberry jubes ever since.

Yes, off topic anecdote, I know - but just acknowledging that food dislikes are not always rational

Ha i used to love chocolate covered pretzels (too much), but the last pack was stale and tasted terrible. I haven't bought them since, twas a blessing in disguise :lol:
  • BrianSharpe
    BrianSharpe Posts: 9,248 Member
    Options
    Now you know why I still, and always will (at least until I'm senile & locked up in a home) eat butter. Fat adds flavour, contributes to satiety and does not make you fat. I also buy 14% sour cream and full fat cottage cheese etc.......the only lower fat product I use regularly is 2% milk.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    Fat adds flavour

Depending on the fat and if you like the flavor. I happen to agree that butter (and olive oil, for the record) adds a pleasant flavor. Don't agree that low fat yogurt has a less pleasant flavor than full fat.
    contributes to satiety

Depends on the person. Doesn't seem to, for me.
    and does not make you fat.

If you eat too many calories it does.
  • TR0berts
    TR0berts Posts: 7,739 Member
    Options
    lemurcat12 wrote: »
    tahxirez wrote: »
    Aquawave wrote: »
    We buy Daisy full fat sour cream. Less "stuff" in it. If you cannot pronounce it, it is not food.

Daisy lite sour cream doesn't have any "stuff" added to it...they just use skim milk.
    vingogly wrote: »
    I haven't read everything in the thread so I don't know if this has been answered. I think the extra stuff is in there mostly for textural reasons (mouth feel) and as preservatives. Take the fat out of something like sour cream (or ice cream) and it becomes much less appealing because you lose the mouth feel of the fat.

I use low fat, no sugar added soy and coconut milk because I tend to use it in things rather than by itself. I've gotten into the habit of having a half cup greek yogurt with a half cup mixed berries and a quarter cup granola (usually Kind brand) sweetened with stevia as a dessert in the evening, and I use full fat yogurt because it's so much better tasting.

When I have ice cream, I'll have the full fat version. "ice milk" is an abomination. You have to decide two things: are you in this for the long haul, or are you "dieting"? and if the former, can you live with food that doesn't taste great to you for the rest of your life?

Most dairy products do not add anything to lower fat options...they just skim the fat. I actually find it odd that there was anything added as per the OP...I use lite sour cream all of the time because we eat a lot of it and I don't really want to spend the calories...I've never had a lite sour cream with anything added...they just skim the fat.

Actually I produce dairy for a living and this isn't true. Lite and Nonfat options have all sorts of additives. Some are for body, some appearance, and some are for flavor. There are vitamins and flavor enhancers and all sorts of things added to different formulas. They do not just use skim milk. As a matter of fact rarely if ever use skim in a sour cream because milk is expensive and skim is needed for cottage cheese curd. I'm sure there are brands with less chemical additives but its certainly not the norm.

sourcream-light.jpg

Ingredients: Cultured cream, skim milk, vitamin A palmitate

Where's all the added *kitten*

Also, it seems to have skim milk, contrary to the assertion: "They do not just use skim milk." Hmm.

She also stated that skim milk would rarely if ever be used for sour cream...yet this is a common/popular brand of sour cream...hmmmm.....

Bonjour.
  • DancingMoosie
    DancingMoosie Posts: 8,615 Member
    Options
    I generally replace sour cream with low-fat plain or greek yogurt. I think many low-fat dairy products are fine. If I do soymilk, I opt for the unsweetened organic. It has less calories than skim milk, but more fat/less carbs, good protein. I also do sugar free coffee syrups, I don't feel like wasting calories there.