Clean and Sober role call

Options

Replies

• moosegt35
    moosegt35 Posts: 1,296 Member
    Options
    Yesterday. I feel a relapse coming this weekend.

One day is better than not. And if you "feel" the relapse coming then you have some ability to not relapse. Get in touch with someone. Please. You can do this.

It was a joke. I don't have a problem and don't do drugs but I do drink a little, usually on the weekends.
    Yeah, that's not really cool. It's a serious problem that ruins lives.
    If you want to drink and can do it safely, awesome, but no need to make jokes about those of us who can't.

I didn't direct any joke at anyone other than myself. Learn to read.
  • KatLifter
    KatLifter Posts: 1,314 Member
    Options

One day is better than not. And if you "feel" the relapse coming then you have some ability to not relapse. Get in touch with someone. Please. You can do this.

It was a joke. I don't have a problem and don't do drugs but I do drink a little, usually on the weekends.
    Yeah, that's not really cool. It's a serious problem that ruins lives.
    If you want to drink and can do it safely, awesome, but no need to make jokes about those of us who can't.

I didn't direct any joke at anyone other than myself. Learn to read.
    I can read very well, thank you.
    Your joke, whether you realize it or not, is at the expense of others.
    Coming into a thread like this of people who can't use alcohol and making light of relapse is akin to saying to a diabetic, "I'm going to eat a heap of candy this weekend and go into ketoacidosis, hahaha."

Some people say things like this innocently, and not meaning anything by it. Then, others (like you) say it to be hurtful and then attack the people who reply.
  • TyTy76
    TyTy76 Posts: 1,761 Member
    Options

So joking about a relapse, something that a lot of struggle with in here on a daily basis?

New low, even for you.

Again, I was joking about myself, learn to read.

I can read just fine.

You apparently don't get it, or will you ever get it.
  • kennethmgreen
    kennethmgreen Posts: 1,759 Member
    Options
    Stupid question and please forgive me, but I feel like life would be so boring without alcohol. Whenever I have taken a break from drinking, I get real bored.
    Not a stupid question, especially if you aren't an alcoholic. Alcohol can be fun. If you don't experience any consequences from drinking alcohol (aren't hurting yourself or others), I see no reason to stop.

Some people do experience consequences when they drink alcohol. Some of those have quit consuming it. And some of those are happy without it.
  • kennethmgreen
    kennethmgreen Posts: 1,759 Member
    Options
    anyone else notice since they got sober, you are very mild mannered, not much bother's you and you feel pretty confident 90% of the time?

I do. I also think Im more tolerant of ppl no matter their choices in lfe...
    Got clean young, and literally grew up in recovery. My tolerance and patience has grown tremendously over the years. And while much of it can be attributed to things learned in meetings, some is simply growing up, getting married, having kids, getting older.

I used to think growing older always meant growing more tolerant, but that was because my purview was mostly people in recovery. And in general, people in recovery do seem to grow more tolerant. Chipping away at self-centeredness over time will do that.
  • KANGOOJUMPS
    KANGOOJUMPS Posts: 6,472 Member
    Options
    NOPE!
    NOT ME!
  • darkestdayz
    darkestdayz Posts: 117 Member
    Options
    4-6-2013, 101 days sober today!
  • pjd302
    pjd302 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    July 15 2008 sober and also quit smoking the same day.
  • offthedeependay
    offthedeependay Posts: 435 Member
    Options
    12/18/09 ex heroin addict
  • csuhar
    csuhar Posts: 779 Member
    Options
    I got drunk when I was 17 and decided I never wanted to lose my senses like that again. And I never have.

I had a similar experience. I was in college and the agreement I had with my parents is that I could drink when I was home with them on vacation on the condition that I did not drink at school until I was 21.

One day, we were at a cookut and, after I finished one beer, my dad casually offered me another (he didn't force it on me). He kept this up for a few beers and asked me how I was feeling. I told him I was starting to feel light headed. He looked at me and said "That's what people call a buzz. You are DRUNK. Do not drive when you feel like this. You may think you've got it together, but you don't."

That experience, combined with the fact I really don't like feeling I'm not 100% in control of my body, was all I needed to convince myself that I didn't want to get drunk. That's not to say I haven't been drunk sometime in the ten years since then, but I can count the number of times that has happened on one hand.

And that aversion to loss of control and awareness has extended to other drugs. Even after going through 4 surgeries in 5 days, where I was in the ICU and needed the morphine pump to be able to sleep, and after months of painful chemo and radiation therapy, where I was prescribed all kinds of drugs and pain killers, I tried to wean myself off as soon as possible.
  • SpeSHul_SnoflEHk
    SpeSHul_SnoflEHk Posts: 6,256 Member
    Options
    I just celebrated my 1 year the other day... 7/12/12.

I also want to say congrats to everyone who has taken that step to getting, and staying sober.

Congrats. That 1st year is so weird. Then ya hit it and its like "ow that was easier than I thought"
    Thank you. It didn't really even hit me at first, because I never went to AA or NA or had a fancy token to remind me of my sobriety.

Same boat. I didn't seek help. I struggled on my own. I can't give exact dates anymore, except for my drugs. It was 45 days out from my joining the Navy. I wanted to make sure all of that stuff was out before piss testing.

I never have the cravings for the drugs anymore, but I do sometimes yearn for a smoke, or a shot on occasion. It's mostly a situational thing (playing cards, etc).
  • silvergurl518
    silvergurl518 Posts: 4,123 Member
    Options
    I'm Jesse Smith.

I'm an alcoholic.

Sober since 2/3/07

...and, yes, I used my last name.

Tradition 11 needs to be rethought.
    Recovery needs to come out of the church basement.
    Cancer patients, diabetics and people with gluten allergies don't run around getting support in secret meetings.
    Don't whisper about my disease after I leave the room. Ask me about it. I'm more than willing to discuss it openly.

thank you, jesse. this is beautifuly put. and i completely agree.
  • silvergurl518
    silvergurl518 Posts: 4,123 Member
    Options
    Stupid question and please forgive me, but I feel like life would be so boring without alcohol. Whenever I have taken a break from drinking, I get real bored.
    Not a stupid question, especially if you aren't an alcoholic. Alcohol can be fun. If you don't experience any consequences from drinking alcohol (aren't hurting yourself or others), I see no reason to stop.

Some people do experience consequences when they drink alcohol. Some of those have quit consuming it. And some of those are happy without it.

but to play devil's advocate, if you feel like life would be so boring without booze, and you've grown dependent on it to have a good time, then maybe there's something there to think about....
  • elkahallick
    elkahallick Posts: 1,138 Member
    Options

but to play devil's advocate, if you feel like life would be so boring without booze, and you've grown dependent on it to have a good time, then maybe there's something there to think about....

Preach sister... Tell them how it is... lol People are so blind sometimes and they dont realize how alcohol has a hold on them... I never got a DWI, went to jail or anything like that, but I still eventually recognized I had a problem.....
  • TyTy76
    TyTy76 Posts: 1,761 Member
    Options
  • Mustang_Susie
    Mustang_Susie Posts: 7,045 Member
    Options

Preach sister... Tell them how it is... lol People are so blind sometimes and they dont realize how alcohol has a hold on them... I never got a DWI, went to jail or anything like that, but I still eventually recognized I had a problem.....

Yep, exactly what I was thinking.
    Life is a lot more fun sober.
  • arathena720
    arathena720 Posts: 449 Member
    Options
    Quit on July 7. Working on day 9. Thank you so much for posting this. I was wondering if there were any reformed peeps on here.
  • KatLifter
    KatLifter Posts: 1,314 Member
    Options
    Quit on July 7. Working on day 9. Thank you so much for posting this. I was wondering if there were any reformed peeps on here.
    Welcome! We have cookies and coffee :drinker:
  • weevil66
    weevil66 Posts: 600 Member
    Options
    Including ciggies, for about seven or eight years, but not including the smokes it would be since I stopped hanging in HellA sometime in the mid-90s or something like that.
  • NormInv
    NormInv Posts: 3,302 Member
    Options

I agree with this and maybe I do have a problem. I only drink one drink a day and maybe more on weekends, but yes I need to consider if I have dependecny.