WOMEN AGES 50+ FOR OCTOBER 2016

Options

Replies

• Vickil57
    Vickil57 Posts: 1,794 Member
    Options
    Good Tuesday. I have been out of touch for the last several weeks. My mom had a heart attack and never woke up. Lasted just short of 24 hours. I did not think it would hit me this hard. Then my sister thinks she is the only child and took charge of everything and let everyone know it. Mom had signed the contract to sell her house just the week before and the reator told us the sale will close on the 19th as planned. After everything is paid there will be about $75,000 left. Mom has 7 children and the last I knew it was to be divided up between us. At this point my sister will not let anyone see the will and I am afraid she had mom change it. She had a lot of control over mom the last several months I am finding out. I am finding it all hard to deal with and miss mom and would just like to talk to her. Sorry to go on so.
    I am back at work and dealing with all the junk there. I am doing a lot of praying as not sure what else to do.I will go back and skip through this months posts and try and do better.
    Thanks, Vicki GRAND ISLAND, NE
  • 1948CWB
    1948CWB Posts: 1,319 Member
    Options
    happy-096.gif
  • janetr7476
    janetr7476 Posts: 4,001 Member
    edited October 2016
    Options
    Vicki I am so sorry to hear your sad news. Its never easy to lose a loved one. Hold good memories close to you. Sending (((hugs))).

Janetr okc
  • Katla49
    Katla49 Posts: 10,385 Member
    Options
    Larissa in Seattle: Wow! You have been missing from our group, but having a great experience with life, love, and the pursuit of happiness. WTG! I hope we see more of you. :flowerforyou:

Janetr: I am sorry that you've been feeling tired and unsteady. I hope the test results point to treatment that solves the problem. (((HUGS)))

Re: Congratulations on the great visit with your folks, your success at losing weight, and new clothes! Wow! :bigmsile:

Lisa: I hope all your dreams and plans turn out well. You have made more changes in your lives during the time I've known you than anyone I've ever known. :flowerforyou:

Liz: I'm thinking of you and hope that your treatment goes well. :heart:

My iphone had a seriously nasty hiccup after a system update and I spent 3 hours on the phone with Apple getting it sorted out. :grumble: We had to rebuild the whole operating system. The person who walked me through all the steps lives in Florida & his family came through the hurricane with no serious damage. We were on the phone for hours getting things put back together and got well acquainted during all that time. The iphone is working fine so far today. :bigsmile:

Katla in Beautiful NW Oregon

“Our greatest weakness lies in giving up. The most certain way to succeed is always to try just one more time.” Thomas A. Edison
  • 1948CWB
    1948CWB Posts: 1,319 Member
    Options
    Vicki ~ So sorry about your mom's sudden passing. Wishing good things for you in the coming months regarding her estate. When my Dad passed, he left two million dollar businesses to two of my brothers and the other three of us were left very little. My brothers made it worse by saying that my Dad did not want my sister and I to be left anything.

Janet ~ Sorry you are still dealing with that awful rash and hope the tests will bring good news and future wellness. Love seeing the pictures you are posting.

Joyce ~ You were a very pretty young woman and I am sure that you still are.

Katla ~ Glad you got your phone straightened out. I had to do the same thing recently dealing with our tv service. It finally cleared up after 24 hours.

Carol
  • spikeyhair
    spikeyhair Posts: 2,078 Member
    Options
    Vickil57 wrote: »
    Good Tuesday. I have been out of touch for the last several weeks. My mom had a heart attack and never woke up. Lasted just short of 24 hours. I did not think it would hit me this hard. Then my sister thinks she is the only child and took charge of everything and let everyone know it. Mom had signed the contract to sell her house just the week before and the reator told us the sale will close on the 19th as planned. After everything is paid there will be about $75,000 left. Mom has 7 children and the last I knew it was to be divided up between us. At this point my sister will not let anyone see the will and I am afraid she had mom change it. She had a lot of control over mom the last several months I am finding out. I am finding it all hard to deal with and miss mom and would just like to talk to her. Sorry to go on so.
    I am back at work and dealing with all the junk there. I am doing a lot of praying as not sure what else to do.I will go back and skip through this months posts and try and do better.
    Thanks, Vicki GRAND ISLAND, NE

So sorry to hear about your Mom, it is so hard to lose any loved one but losing your Mother is particularly hard. I still miss mine after 32 years. Try to focus on your happy memories and not on the behaviour of your sister, as the saying goes you can't choose your family. I'm sure all our thoughts and prayers are with you

Kate UK
  • GloworminWA
    GloworminWA Posts: 704 Member
    Options
    Have the winter blahs and it's not even winter yet. There's a reason I am a Spring/Summer color palette = because I belong where the sun shines most of the year and it's warm! cool-sun-smiley-emoticon.gif
  • GloworminWA
    GloworminWA Posts: 704 Member
    Options
    Vicki it's so sad what the death of a loved one brings out in some people. Did your Mom have an attorney involved with the Will? If so they should have a copy of it in their office. If she didn't then she should have had 2 witnesses sign it and one could not have been your sister as beneficiaries can not be witnesses. Perhaps find out who witnessed.

I am so sorry about your Mom and even if she wasn't awake I hope you got to be there with her til she passed. <3
  • Vickil57
    Vickil57 Posts: 1,794 Member
    Options
    thanks for the support ladies, it means more then I can express.
    Glorworm--Mom did have a will and I am finding out it is the same lawyer my sister uses. I don't really want anything except mom's wishes to be done and no amount of money will bring her back. She passed on Monday the 26th and her birthday was Oct 4. I was there the last day and sit with her along with my son and brother and his girls. This has hit me a lot harder then when my dad and step dad passed. I was with them also. Just acouple days before when I was talking to mom, she was excited as she signed the contract to sell the house and got her driver's license renewed, picture taken at church and got her hair done with the birthday money we sent her.I have thought about just calling the doctor and see if I can get something for acouple nights to help me sleep. My mind goes full speed when I lay down. I can be so tired and then blam wide awake when I go to bed.
    Well ladies have a good rest of the day. Love each of you.
    Joyce--Sorry to hear about DD's loss.
    Blessings, Vicki GRAND ISLAND, NE
  • klanders30
    klanders30 Posts: 2,569 Member
    Options
    Vicki thinking of you as you mourn the loss of your mother. The love you gave and received from her will carry you through this difficult time. <3
    NYKAREN
  • fanncy0626
    fanncy0626 Posts: 7,121 Member
    Options
    Stronglift Workout A
    Squats-1X5X 55/65/75/85/95, 5X5X 100
    BP-1X5X 55/65/75, 5X5X 85
    BR-5X5X 85

Kettlebell Swing
    Russian kettle bell swing-23X 10 X 35

Last strong lift workout until I get back from vacation. Yes of course I am bringing my 40 pound kettle bell with. I will not be able to use it on the train because of the instability but all the other days I will.

Has anyone ever been to the Oregon caves? I am thinking of making that one of our site seeing excursions. We also plan on going to Tillamook cheese factory. Any other suggestions would be appreciated!

Vicky - I am so sorry to hear about your mom! My two younger sisters are also acting like your sister. My mom is still alive but they already have their names on all of her belongings. The real person comes out sometimes in the most sensitive situations. I just decided that my mom's possessions or money are not what I value. (((Hugs)))

Almost all packed and ready to go! Have a great day everyone!

<3

Mary from Minnesota
  • cityjaneLondon
    cityjaneLondon Posts: 12,233 Member
    Options
    Vicki - Sending you lots of love. There will be legal recourse to any problems with the will . How awful to have your sister playing up at this time when you are grieving. :'( Stand your ground, my friend. You are such a great person. <3

We are off to Hove in the morning for a final recce before we commit. The photographer is coming on Thursday. :o Tomorrow we have 3 houses to view, just to get some idea of location etc. My son is leaving us a parking permit under the chimney pot in the front garden. :D

Liz - I had grade 2 breast cancer 9 years ago. So far, so good. :) I take every day as a blessing. It really has made me value every moment. Hope all goes well. <3

Lisa - We think we are going on a great adventure - yours is much bigger! <3

Love to all, Heather UK
  • GodMomKim
    GodMomKim Posts: 3,633 Member
    Options
    Hi Gals,
    Some random notes….

Heather – great pictures!!!
    Barbie – hope your computer comes back…
    Becca – you have no idea how much I have missed you… I am so jealous of Glow – I’m going to friend you
    Lisa – great insight as usual!!!
    Allie – sending thoughts of peace
    Larisa – congrats!!!
    Joyce that is a nice picture…

Vicki – hugs!!!!! I am sorry your sis is acting this way, she is not realizing that bad behavior will not bring her happiness… stay strong, and feel surrounded by virtual hugs!!!

October Goals:
    2 fun things a week, Lunch with friends 2 times….
    Read and report on a book
    Log everyday to the best I can, over if need be.
    11,000 + steps everyday
    Work on water consumption -

Smiles.

Kim from N. California
  • GRITSandSLUTSandWINOS
    GRITSandSLUTSandWINOS Posts: 2,573 Member
    Options
    Becca – I have a ‘terminal’ case of Arachnophobia; what’s more our house is cedar siding; so spider webs are everywhere; but, they stay away from me, so far. I about had a stroke in elementary school when one dropped down on my desk. We had been told by our really, seriously crazy 3rd grade teacher NOT TO GET OUT OF OUR DESKS. So I climbed up on my desk and screamed Bloody Mary after it bit me. I got to spend the rest of the day standing in the hall. Had a swollen spot on my arm when I got home. Mother was pretty upset that the teacher had not sent me to the office to see the nurse. DH will knock them down for me when they get really bad.

Re – Congrats on buying smaller tops. It is always a good feeling to drop a size or two and still be comfortable when you do. I have a pair of what was called ‘skinny jeans’. Now they fit me like ‘regular’ jeans. I need to go through my clothes again and cull out the ones that are now too big for me.

Vicki – Sorry for the loss of your Mom. I know you will miss her. I still miss mu Mother and MnL, we lost them the same year. When we divided up the property we had inherited (from our grandmother); we had several aunts, uncles, and cousins involved. We bought each of them out of their 1/9th undivided share; and, had one uncle who was such a P.I.T.A., that we had to ‘take him to court’ before he got reasonable and finally accepted the money we had offered the others to purchase their share. So after we divided it all … we sold it all in 3 different sales. It was nice to get some money that I could ‘invest’ and have some that we can hopefully just live off the interest. This year, unfortunately, we have had several emergency situations that made it so that we had to draw some out; so now we have only about ½ of what we had initially invested. Not too many more drops coming our way; so we will have to spend it carefully. We (3) of us were all named as co-beneficiaries and co-executors of my Mother’s Will; oldest sister provided us with a monthly statement showing the breakdown of what Mother had coming in and what she had going out. She was closest in distance than either of us other two. We divided up her belongings when we needed to put her into an A.L.F.; that way she could see what each of us got, as well as what all 6 of the grandchildren got. Their choices counted as one of ours. I’d be wary of a sibling who was not willing to show the rest the Will. You have the right to go to that attorney's office and ask for a copy of your Mother's Will (even 'if' he is your sister's attorney).

DH’s daughter got her grandmother to change her Will. It caused a LOT of ill feelings; and, since, she has estranged herself from her Dad. That was in 2007. She got her to name her under her Will, the same as DH and DBnL; and, left out the 4 grandsons, as if they did not even 'exist'. A couple of things that really irked me was that we did not get ‘any’ pictures – none of DH when he was young; also her diamond wedding band which she had purchased herself, when I was with her. She had told me that it would be mine, upon her death. A painting that I had done for her one Christmas (the only one I never signed). SD got it all; she scratched through the list and put her name on the things she thought she should be entitled to. Well, years later, finally able to ‘forgive her in my heart’; but, I don’t have to ‘like’ her for the things she did to the rest of the family.

Glo – A lot of people will do a lot of things, now that certain legal stuff can be pulled off the Internet. SH did up a POA for herself to get DMnL to sign everything over to her. Which, in FL is against the law. We could have fought it; but, by that time she had cleared out everything she wanted. When DH’s father died; she went into his lock box at the bank, 4 times from the day he died until they buried him using that POA. He died about a year-and-a-half before she did. In his Will he left everything to MnL; would not sign the Will that SD had gotten drawn up. DH and DBnL took their Mother to rescind the original POA; she even signed the title to the care to herself using the POA. And had to have 'forged' DBnL's signature because he got it done in both of their names (supposedly). We knew, as a fact, that DH's Dad had at least $16K in it and no telling how much silver in coins in there. Her excuse was that she needed to get some paperwork out of it so she could put the house up for sale. But, she left the original deed in the box. Which she ended up ‘selling’ 2x in as many years. One day Karma will visit her; she’s already been visited once before; but, I see it coming again before long.

My Daddy was an attorney and he used to always say: "Nothing brings out the worst in people, than a good old family funeral." It was funny until it happened to us.

Lenora
  • GRITSandSLUTSandWINOS
    Options
    Becca – I have a ‘terminal’ case of Arachnophobia; what’s more our house is cedar siding; so spider webs are everywhere; but, they stay away from me, so far. I about had a stroke in elementary school when one dropped down on my desk. We had been told by our really, seriously crazy 3rd grade teacher NOT TO GET OUT OF OUR DESKS. So I climbed up on my desk and screamed Bloody Mary after it bit me. I got to spend the rest of the day standing in the hall. Had a swollen spot on my arm when I got home. Mother was pretty upset that the teacher had not sent me to the office to see the nurse. DH will knock them down for me when they get really bad.

Re – Congrats on buying smaller tops. It is always a good feeling to drop a size or two and still be comfortable when you do. I have a pair of what was called ‘skinny jeans’. Now they fit me like ‘regular’ jeans. I need to go through my clothes again and cull out the ones that are now too big for me.

Vicki – Sorry for the loss of your Mom. I know you will miss her. I still miss mu Mother and MnL, we lost them the same year. When we divided up the property we had inherited (from our grandmother); we had several aunts, uncles, and cousins involved. We bought each of them out of their 1/9th undivided share; and, had one uncle who was such a P.I.T.A., that we had to ‘take him to court’ before he got reasonable and finally accepted the money we had offered the others to purchase their share. So after we divided it all … we sold it all in 3 different sales. It was nice to get some money that I could ‘invest’ and have some that we can hopefully just live off the interest. This year, unfortunately, we have had several emergency situations that made it so that we had to draw some out; so now we have only about ½ of what we had initially invested. Not too many more drops coming our way; so we will have to spend it carefully. We (3) of us were all named as co-beneficiaries and co-executors of my Mother’s Will; oldest sister provided us with a monthly statement showing the breakdown of what Mother had coming in and what she had going out. She was closest in distance than either of us other two. We divided up her belongings when we needed to put her into an A.L.F.; that way she could see what each of us got, as well as what all 6 of the grandchildren got. Their choices counted as one of ours. I’d be wary of a sibling who was not willing to show the rest the Will. You have the right to go to that attorney's office and ask for a copy of your Mother's Will (even 'if' he is your sister's attorney).

DH’s daughter got her grandmother to change her Will. It caused a LOT of ill feelings; and, since, she has estranged herself from her Dad. That was in 2007. She got her to name her under her Will, the same as DH and DBnL; and, left out the 4 grandsons, as if they did not even 'exist'. A couple of things that really irked me was that we did not get ‘any’ pictures – none of DH when he was young; also her diamond wedding band which she had purchased herself, when I was with her. She had told me that it would be mine, upon her death. A painting that I had done for her one Christmas (the only one I never signed). SD got it all; she scratched through the list and put her name on the things she thought she should be entitled to. Well, years later, finally able to ‘forgive her in my heart’; but, I don’t have to ‘like’ her for the things she did to the rest of the family.

Glo – A lot of people will do a lot of things, now that certain legal stuff can be pulled off the Internet. SH did up a POA for herself to get DMnL to sign everything over to her. Which, in FL is against the law. We could have fought it; but, by that time she had cleared out everything she wanted. When DH’s father died; she went into his lock box at the bank, 4 times from the day he died until they buried him using that POA. He died about a year-and-a-half before she did. In his Will he left everything to MnL; would not sign the Will that SD had gotten drawn up. DH and DBnL took their Mother to rescind the original POA; she even signed the title to the care to herself using the POA. And had to have 'forged' DBnL's signature because he got it done in both of their names (supposedly). We knew, as a fact, that DH's Dad had at least $16K in it and no telling how much silver in coins in there. Her excuse was that she needed to get some paperwork out of it so she could put the house up for sale. But, she left the original deed in the box. Which she ended up ‘selling’ 2x in as many years. One day Karma will visit her; she’s already been visited once before; but, I see it coming again before long.

My Daddy was an attorney and he used to always say: "Nothing brings out the worst in people, than a good old family funeral." It was funny until it happened to us.

Lenora
  • GRITSandSLUTSandWINOS
    Options

Lenora
  • GRITSandSLUTSandWINOS
    Options

Lenora
  • GRITSandSLUTSandWINOS
    edited October 2016
    Options
    I went in and deleted 4 of the 5 posts that were identical; after having a time, getting it to post.
  • coloradoartstudio
    coloradoartstudio Posts: 104 Member
    Options
    I'm new to this group...but not MFP. It's been start/stop for the past 2 years. The dust is settling in my life (launched my daughter off to college, sold a house, found another one and moved, learning to be empty nesters with my hubby and more) and I'm ready to get healthy!

September goals:
    • Start logging again on MFP ✓
    • Join a 30 day fitness challenge ✓
    • Tell my family/friends what I'm doing so I can be accountable and to avoid unnecessary temptation. ✓

October goals:
    • Continue my daily logging streak
    • Continue exercising daily for my challenge
    • Start a gratitude practice
    • Lose 5 pounds

@Vickil57 - I'm sorry to hear about your mother and all the drama you're experiencing during this time.

Till later,

Cindy from Colorado :-)
  • GRITSandSLUTSandWINOS
    Options
    It took me a good 20 minutes to be able to actually 'post' my comments. Are any of you having the same issue? The error message that comes up is that 'they' are experiencing a greater number (of posts?). Said to try it in a few minutes. Also said they were doing some maintenance as well.

Looking over the ER room statement we got for DH when he was unable to 'urinate'. Got a charge of Drug/Self-Administered - I guess they are charging him to 'go to the bathroom and pee on his own'. We waited in the ER waiting room, maybe an hour, they x-rayed him to make sure he was not having kidney stones, we sat in a room waiting for the MD to come in, by that time, DH had just peed all over himself, and then went to the restroom to put on a dry gown. MD did not even exam him, just came to the door; and, that cost $245 just so he could tell him, 'well, I can go ahead and put a catheter in; but, now that you have been able to go and you have a MD appointment on Tuesday, just keep it and if you need to come back, then do so." When we left they gave him a pair of 'paper scrubs' to wear home. But, if we had gone to the 'city' hospital (same owner) ... we would not have had such a short wait there. We left home, and got home in just about 4 hours. We would have STILL been waiting if we had gone to the Albany 'city' hospital. Got a call in to them because I 'thought' once Medicare and any additional insurance paid, they were supposed to write off the balance. But, it took them a year before they ever sent the first statement. We figured that they had already done this.

Lenora