WOMEN AGES 50+ FOR OCTOBER 2016

Options

Replies

• GloworminWA
    GloworminWA Posts: 704 Member
    Options
    Carey I tried Tai Chi once a couple of weeks ago and my knees protested so much I decided it probably wasn't the right thing for me right now. I need something to help me get my balance back.

Does anyone else hate their Fitbit Charge HR? My daughters got me one for my birthday in April and I have had nothing but trouble with it. I spent about 3 hrs on the phone with customer service today telling them in no uncertain words that I just wanted it replaced. But since it started working again they said to give it 24hrs so they can determine what the problem is. I know what the problem is - it won't keep working. On top of that it makes the inside of my wrist breakout (my daughter has the same problem and many others online say they get a rash from it.)
    It is suppose to hold a charge for up to 5 days but mine was fully changed this morning and by 6:00 it was only half changed and had stopped working again! dizzy-smiley-emoticon-1.gif
  • Katla49
    Katla49 Posts: 10,385 Member
    Options
    :flowerforyou:
  • Lagopus
    Lagopus Posts: 1,016 Member
    edited October 2016
    Options
    I'm giggling about the sudden deluge of color!

One reason for my long silence was that I was off the grid for a while. I had an opportunity to accompany my husband to Ny-Ålesund, a tiny village a hundred kilometers north of Longyearbyen, and I jumped at the chance.

Apart from a few military bases, Ny-Ålesund is the world's northernmost year-round inhabited place and it is entirely dedicated to research. As a polar scientist, my husband has been going there for projects for decades. Its population varies from 180 at the peak of the summer season to about 30 hardy souls in the dead of winter. Everyone in the village eats in a communal mess hall run by professional cooks who do all the meal planning, cooking, dishwashing and so on. It makes for an easy life - but it's darn hard to track calories!

Our visit was at the end of the season so there were only about 40 people in town - all very friendly. The Autumn Party happened to fall due while we were there. As usual, it had a theme. On previous visits we've participated in parties on themes such as the Wild West, Visitors from Outer Space, and World Cup Soccer. This time the theme was "O". We were supposed to dress up, inspired by something that started with an O - in any language. (Ny-Ålesund is an extremely international community. The 40 people who were there represented about a dozen countries.)

We had an Officer, an Oil sheikh/Oligarch, Ozzy Osmund, a cute couple dressed as cheese and a cheese slicer (Ost and Osthyvel in Norwegian), a couple OMGs, and a valiant Frenchman who tried to dress up as Onomatopoeia. I was unprepared and far from home, so I just wore Orange tights and an Obsidian dress. The prize for best costume went to the guy who dressed up as Obelix.

kl7mq54kj0cl.png

As part of the evening's festivities we were randomly assigned to groups and competed at nine different stations, including Origami, Olfactory testing (of three beverages), Opera, Orange-passing with no hands, Odd one out, and a quiz on the letter O (e.g. "What is the capital of Burkina Faso?")*. To my utter surprise I did very well in the hula hoop competition.

After the competition there was dancing, and when they started playing Billie Jean I couldn't resist. I jumped up and got to shaking my stuff, sharing the floor with a few other enthusiasts, including a young marine biologist from India who had worked pret-ty hard on his moonwalk. The next day my husband told me he'd had to defend my honor. An older scientist from India had been "Shocked, Sir. Shocked! A married woman dancing in public. Na-na-na. Not respectable." My husband (who has lived in India and understood the reaction) smoothed the good gentleman's ruffled feathers, assuring him that I was indeed fully respectable and that he was glad I was having a good time.

Hubby and I left the party about 12:30 and headed home through the pitch darkness, hoping there weren't any polar bears in town. The next day we heard that the party after the party didn't end until nearly 5 a.m. At Sunday brunch, a sheepish technician snitched one of the centerpiece roses and gave it to a member of the kitchen staff, apologizing for something he'd said or done the night before. Us old folks weren't in the know, but everyone at their table laughed.

On the last day of our visit we went out in a small boat on the fjord. I still have to get my act together before I can tell about that excursion. Pictures required! But now I have work to do.

Have a good day!

/Penny, not as close to the North Pole as I was in Ny-Ålesund

*Ouagadougou, of course.
  • lhannon062709
    lhannon062709 Posts: 1,140 Member
    Options
    Morning, all,

Katla - I'll figure out a way to make it so you can get to the article, one way or the other. The subject is important to me, as I lost a dear friend and fellow writer to breast cancer just last year. She wrote a book on her first tussle with the disease: I Survived the Attack of the Killer Boobie, and was working on the sequel, but when it came back, her poor tired body couldn't make it through the chemo. An amazing human being lost far before her time. If you know someone who is struggling through it, the book is truly a gift.

Have to get an article up on Facebook this morning on getting registered to vote - in Texas, at least, you have until October 11. Early voting will begin here October 24. This is not a political post, I might add. My sentiments about specific candidates are my own, and unshared with anyone either here or in my other personal or professional life. I tend to skewer politicians on both sides with equal fervor. I happen to love the few who actually are public servants... but politicians annoy me no matter which side of the fence they fall on.

Off to the races, my chickens; working in the warehouse to get all the wood pieces I've collected over this last year in good shape to sell... Sale day will be November 5.

Love y'all,
    Lisa in West Texas
  • KetoneKaren
    KetoneKaren Posts: 6,411 Member
    edited October 2016
    Options
    Cool trick! Ouagadougou...I knew that! (not)
    Thanks, Penny! Sounds like a really fun party at the North North Pole!

Karen in Virginia
  • grandmallie
    grandmallie Posts: 9,702 Member
    Options
    morning ladies~
    didn't sleep well, had chest pains for quite a bit until I finally went to sleep, we had a huge blow up last night, and how I hate those..
    Homer still not well the antibiotic shot ,didn't seem to work and Tom force fed him some chicken and gave him his other antibiotic pill.. going to call the vet this morning to see what the next plan of action is.. I am wondering if maybe they should keep him down there for the day just for observation..
  • 1948CWB
    1948CWB Posts: 1,311 Member
    Options
    cat-in-pumpkin.gif
  • margaretturk
    margaretturk Posts: 5,052 Member
    Options
    :heart:
  • klanders30
    klanders30 Posts: 2,569 Member
    Options
    penny some fun up there, I love your adventurous posts <3

Re I can hear how relaxed and happy you are with your folks on your vacation. You are making great progress, keep it going, you sound happy.

Enjoying my last lazy day of this 4 day holiday from work, but the next three days will more than make up for my sloth. I've got meetings, chock full days and doc appointments. Meal planning and food prep is keeping me on the right path, the time I spend prepping is worthwhile. NYKAREN
  • pipcd34
    pipcd34 Posts: 16,548 Member
    Options
  • fanncy0626
    fanncy0626 Posts: 7,114 Member
    Options
    <3
  • csofled
    csofled Posts: 3,022 Member
    edited October 2016
    Options
    :)
  • Schpau51
    Schpau51 Posts: 110 Member
    Options
    Hi, my name is Pauline and I live in Oregon. This is my first time to the group. Besides wanting to be healthy and honestly live a happy life style I would like to lose some weight.
  • fanncy0626
    fanncy0626 Posts: 7,114 Member
    Options
    Stronglift Rest Day

Kettlebell Swing
    GobletSquats- 3X5X 40
    Russian kettle bell swing-10 X 10 X 40
    Round two of the first four weeks of the basic program. For this 4 weeks I will be increasing my strength by increasing the number of swings that I do. This is in preparation to increase to the next size kettle bell. I will do this only on Stronglift rest days. Week one, Day one of increasing from 7 to 10 reps.

Walk 1,000 Miles Challenge
    5 miles

<3

Mary from Minnesota
  • csofled
    csofled Posts: 3,022 Member
    Options
    suebdew wrote: »
    Cheri - gonna get warm again this week but the cool was nice for a few days.

SueBDew in TX

I noticed that and am prepared to "suffer" through. Truth be known we live in air conditioning, we travel in air conditioning and we shop in air conditioning. B)

Perk of living in a rental home: someone else solved the water leak in the yard and someone else is fixing the sprinkler issue and we don't have to pay for it!

Cheri
    BCS, TX
  • tammylee83
    tammylee83 Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    Hi,
    I didn't know if your group is open to new members, but if so, l would love to join. You all seem to be very caring and supportive of each other.
    I am 54 and I am trying to lose weight and get in better shape. I want to lose 15 pounds. I have lost it four or five times in the last few years but I keep gaining it back. I am determined that this time I'm going to find a healthier lifestyle in order to keep it off.
    Warm regards,
    Tammy
  • drkatiebug
    drkatiebug Posts: 1,941 Member
    edited October 2016
    Options
    Welcome, Tammy! We are always glad to see newbies.

Penny! Oh, my! You scandalous woman, you.

Barbie, love the stats. We do what we can do.

Kay in NEGA

• pipcd34
    pipcd34 Posts: 16,548 Member
    Options
  • suebdew
    suebdew Posts: 1,330 Member
    Options
    Got my walk in early before it got too hot. Still working on decluttering my study.
    Penny - love to read of your adventures in the north. The party sounds like a lot of fun.
    Welcome Tammy, always nice to have a "newbie". I have discovered that carrying around an extra 26 # is what makes me so tired. Just imagine grabbing a sack of potatoes that weighed that much and carrying it all day.
    Barbie - naps are good, keep up the good work.
    Pauline- glad you posted. You learn so much on this thread we even learned how to pose in colors how fun is that!!
    Re- I agree about seeing your Mom having so much trouble moving. My Mom had a stoke when she was 65 and was never able to do all the things she loved like playing piano and organ, flower arranging, and going to all sorts of social activities. So keep on keeping on girlfriend.
    Better get off the couch and get some work done.
    SueBDew in TX