WOMEN AGES 50+ FOR OCTOBER 2016

Options

Replies

• suebdew
    suebdew Posts: 1,330 Member
    Options
    Penny- thank you for the pictures and the description of the adventure. I've seen glaciers in Alaska and Chile but never so close that you could hear the snap and pop. We did view caving and it was thrilling. SueBDew in TX
  • SSC1958
    SSC1958 Posts: 411 Member
    Options
    Re: You are making great choices. I'm sorry to hear about your Mom's difficulties. Meatloaf is one of my favorite foods so you can come visit me anytime!

Gloria: The Tai Chi group I go to has health recovery classes in addition to regular classes. The instructors are really good at making sure that you do the moves properly. I've even done seated sets when my knees were acting up. I did find that my balance got better. The bottom line if it hurts then don't do it. I hope you find something that works for you.

Penny: Thank you for the awesome pics and the commentary. I'm anxious now to see this for myself. It's now on my bucket list!

Janetr: You are just not having any luck at all. Hope you feel better really soon!

Katla: Glad it looks like the mattress is working :)

Work was like being on a rollercoaster today! Going to take some time for a nice long soak to relax.

Goals for Oct:
    - Increase walking now that the hamstring has healed
    - Get to Tai Chi at least once a week

Have a good evening all

Carey - Northern Alberta
  • fanncy0626
    fanncy0626 Posts: 7,116 Member
    edited October 2016
    Options
    Penny- beautiful pictures! Your description of the events is amazing!

<3

Mary from Minnesota
  • GRITSandSLUTSandWINOS
    GRITSandSLUTSandWINOS Posts: 2,573 Member
    edited October 2016
    Options
    Tracey – Problems within a family, especially when there is a lot (or some) divisiness (sp?) can be a ‘kitten’. I know, got it here. DnL#1 is so jealous of DDnL#2 and has made a ‘huge’ scene. Don’t even know, yet, if DYS and DDnL#2 are going to get to come at Thanksgiving; and, DYS has ‘always’ come home for Thanksgiving weekend, so he can hunt with DOS. IF they don’t come, I am not even sure I will go to the effort of cooking a turkey and all the trimmings. I’ll cook a ham; but, we might just go ‘out to eat’ just me and DH. I’ve forgiven DnL#1; but, it is difficult to not want to; but, if I don’t then I curse myself and DH and the rest of the family. It does not mean I have to like her or like what she does … just forgive her for what she’s done in the past.
    You’re not a ‘crappy’ friend; I think at some point or the other we have all had things wew needed to get off our chests. Hang tight! Love ya!

Katla – Has your DH ever been tested for ‘sleep apnea’? It will change his life 180°. Well, I know it did for me. The first few nights I slept 10 hours; and, was a changed person. Worth a ‘go at it’.

Margaret – Love the flamingos; but, you probably know I collect flamingos. I have nearly 80 of them around the house and no 2 are alike. This time, I got a cup that keeps things warm/cold and has a flip top. Love it. Just could not find one close to where we were staying and did not want to go all over the place to get one.

Mary from Minnesota – My DMGD just had her hair dyed ‘auburn’ … it looks fabulous on her. Her hair is not ‘quite’ as long as yours; but, close. She is totally 'beautimus'! Big Blue Eyes and Auburn hair. Gorgeous!

Allie – Tape his snoring and then suggest he get tested for ‘sleep apnea’. It causes you to stop breathing and the snoring is what starts it back up. You are struggling for air. Wearing a C-pap is worth every bit of the good from it. I cannot even take a nap without putting mine on, if I expect to be well-rested afterwards.

We are now home from our long weekend vacation with my sisters. We had a ball. Unfortunately, DH had one of his 'attacks' that prevents him from peeing; without struggling to do so, groans, grunts, moans, sounds like he is passing a 'kidney stone' the size of a beach ball. Everybody tried to get him to let them take him to the ER; I told them he was not going to go; and, in 4 - 5 hours, it will pass. He's had a procedure twice (once put to sleep) the next time, (awake). THAT won't ever happen again. Now we all think he needs to change Urologists. I told him today, that 'if' he did not call someone tomorrow, I was going to do it for him. I need to see how any choices I would have, here in Albany. Won't do him much good to go 'out-of-town' ... if he needs to be 'seen' in the ER, he doesn't need to have to travel over an hour to get to another trauma center. This is getting old; I think he is afraid they will put in a catheter and it will be 'for the rest of his life' (and he'd have to learn how to do it himself). I don't think that would work well. His Dad, who also had prostate cancer; wore a catheter full time, and, his life ended insofar as going out and stuff like he enjoyed doing. I don't want that for DH. I just want them to figure out what is going on. His PSA has been nearly ZERO; so it isn't the cancer coming back. They are telling us it is scar tissue (from what?); and, have sent it off to the pathologist and it does not come back as anything to worry about.

We played 8-1-8 cards; and, I got them started on "Mexican Train Dominoes". Gee, I wish I had people around that could play it with me. I'm not much of a card player; but, I do enjoy 8-1-8. I just play it 'on the fly' and try to figure out how many or how few 'tricks' I need to make. Even DH played and he is not a 'card player'; but, he caught on pretty fast; but, sometimes we'd have to make him take back cards because he'd try to 'trump' them when he had the same suit in his hand. I really had to laugh at my DBnL ... it just was not his time to play cards and win. Just the ladies played MTD. I think I have them so hooked, they are going to go out and buy a tin of them. We were good to help one another out, putting the trains on and off our run. A few games I did not have any number coming off the doubles in the middle; we made the rule that 'if' you had 20 chips, then one or the other would either pick one up and/or give us one of theirs. I think there were times that I had 25 chips.

Going for my weigh-in tomorrow; and, I am 'sure' that it will 'show that I was on vacation'. But, what the heck; I was still a lot smaller than either of my 2 sisters. I had not seen either of them for 2 years. The last time they saw me, I weighed 199lbs (my heaviest). I hope that I did not put on 'too much'; but, it was 'vacation time' ... and I wasn't going to hold back.

We had some 'good' seafood the first night; the 2nd night we went and got pizza and brought it home. It was GOOD! The night that DH just could not go with us, we went to a very 'high-end' restaurant, with 2 waiters, linen table clothes, linen napkins, and 'high' prices ... but, with the food we got, it was outstanding! I made a carry out order for DH, which by the time we got home, was feeling much better.

Well, I'm back and ready to rock and roll!

Lenora
  • pipcd34
    pipcd34 Posts: 16,548 Member
    Options
    stats for the day:
    ride hm 2 gym- 13.57min, 13amph, 139mhr, 2.9mi = 129c
    TREADMILL walk- 42min, 15.09ap, 10incl 4.0sp, 106mhr, 2.77mi = 203c
    ride gym 2 dome- 7.29min, 11.4amph, 141mhr, 1.4mi = 74c
    ride dome 2 hm - 21.03min, 7.4amph, 149mhr, 2.5mi = 198c
    total cal 604
  • mikesmom1983
    mikesmom1983 Posts: 582 Member
    Options
    Good evening ladies.
    Thank you Penny. Your pictures and discriptions are awesome. I admire how you can transport me there.
    Heather, I love hearing about your travels. Enjoy and have a sip of wine for me.
    Mary, I would love to have your hair! How funny that the on,y picture of you is from the back.
    Janet, thanks for sharing your travels. I sincerely hope you feel better soon.

Still on track, day 3, no sugar, no alcohol and plenty of protein and lots and lots of water.Can't fit in too much exercise but managing some. Lost a bit already. People at work Are tempting me with food and I have been successful in turning them down. A coworker insisted on giving me 1/2 of a cream filled muffin and I actually threw it away when she returned to her desk. I never throw food away.

Sending love and support to all.
    Chris in MA

• jmkmomm
    jmkmomm Posts: 3,247 Member
    Options
    Penny, when I asked for pictures I had no idea I would be getting that. WOW, breathtaking, now words to express it. From what I read in Wikipedia of what the general population is and then what the population in when tourists come in, hardly anyone at all can tolerate living there. Thank you for bringing it to us and your eloquent description of it and the glaciers. I had never heard of calving!

Joyce, Indiana
  • barbiecat
    barbiecat Posts: 16,919 Member
    Options
    :) Jake said that I over did it yesterday and he was right. I went to bed with extra pain and woke up with more pain...I stayed in bed after he got up and slept for two hours. When the surgeon's nurse called to check up on my she told me to take it easy and she'd check on me tomorrow. So today I didn't stay in either the chair or the recliner for more than 20 minutes and after lunch we took a nap for over two hours. I feel much better tonight.

sleeping-beauty-smiley-emoticon.gif Barbie
  • klanders30
    klanders30 Posts: 2,569 Member
    Options
    chris awesome job turning away from junk food. People can be such food pushers but you did a great job pushing it away, good for you! You are gonna stay on the right track!

Penny that turquoise ice is amazing. Thank you for transporting me to a place of such exceptional and vulnerable beauty.

Oy Vey, the work drama is heating up, not sure why I get sucked into it. When I understand why, perhaps it won't have as much power over me!!!

I've got a busy day tomorrow, so I'm planning food accordingly to deal with the aftermath of a challenging meeting--don't want to overeat when i feel stressed from the tension at the meeting. :#
    NYKAREN
  • pipcd34
    pipcd34 Posts: 16,548 Member
    Options
  • Katla49
    Katla49 Posts: 10,385 Member
    Options
    JanetR: I hope you're feeling enough better to get out for a while. :flowerforyou:

Carey from N Alberta: I totally agree with your advice, "The bottom line, if it hurts then don't do it." :smiley:

Leonora: DH has not been tested for sleep apnea. None of his doctors have ever suggested a sleep test. :noway: His many health problems usually explain the symptoms. :cry:

I had a lovely walk with the dog this afternoon and ran into a friend along the way. It was great to see her and have the chance to chat.:bigsmile:

Katla in Beautiful NW Oregon

“Our greatest weakness lies in giving up. The most certain way to succeed is always to try just one more time.” Thomas A. Edison
  • jmkmomm
    jmkmomm Posts: 3,247 Member
    Options
    Katla, is was my neurologist that ordered the sleep study in trying to define the reason for my fatigue with my MS. Sometimes gentle suggestion from a spouse helps?

Joyce, Indiana
  • fanncy0626
    fanncy0626 Posts: 7,116 Member
    Options
    <3
  • Katla49
    Katla49 Posts: 10,385 Member
    Options
    jmkmomm wrote: »
    Katla, is was my neurologist that ordered the sleep study in trying to define the reason for my fatigue with my MS. Sometimes gentle suggestion from a spouse helps?

Joyce, Indiana

Thanks, Joyce. You've given me a very important perspective and I appreciate your insight. :heart:
  • GloworminWA
    GloworminWA Posts: 704 Member
    Options
    Penny I've decided I live a very boring life after seeing and hearing about your adventures. I too was awestruck at the beauty of the turquoise glacier!

In regard to discussions about sleep apnea. My ex-husband had sleep apnea but back then we'd never heard of it. He would snore and then stop breathing. Scared the bejeebies out of me - I'd shake him to wake him up but it would just start all over again. Not only does this cause fatigue but can also affect your heart leading to heart disease. I've had 2 sleep studies done both inconclusive because I wake up so often and get up to go to the bathroom. Seems I don't go into Rem sleep until its just about time to get up!

Fitbit is finally sending me a replacement - can I get a WooHoo? Poor guy I talked to today got all my frustration poured out on him,

I'm looking for a used tuba stand and a music stand. The music teacher gave me a website to go to and if I don't find them there I'll go on Craigslist and the local group where we sell or offer free things we don't need or want anymore.

Off to the land of OZ - sleeping.gif
  • cityjaneLondon
    cityjaneLondon Posts: 12,212 Member
    Options
    Penny - Thank you so much for that. Showed my DH, who thought it was wonderful. <3 We did pass some incredible glaciers on our trip, but never got so close.

Last night's food and drink went well. A bit less alcohol - although we still had a Manzanilla sherry, an Asturian cider, where the guy pours it from a height without looking at it, :laugh: (delicious - very dry) , to the background of Asturian bagpipes, and a glass of white wine with our meal. It is traditional in this part of Spain to wander about from place to place, just having a drink and a bite to eat, usually sitting outside. We ended up in a restaurant that we were turned away from the night before, because we didn't want a main dish. Last night we had a plate of grilled tuna and octopus. They gave us free cava (bubbly wine) at the end! :D
    Lots more strolling about, hand in hand. I think I actually strolled for five hours yesterday!

Right now we are just relaxing on the bed before leaving for the train station. Express to Cordoba, and we have seats booked.

My phone won't log in to the wifi here, so no pics yet, I'm afraid. :/

Love Heather, still in Malaga xxxxxxxxxx
  • spikeyhair
    spikeyhair Posts: 2,078 Member
    Options
    Good morning everyone first day back home after holiday, just got weighed have put on 5lbs will track and log food and get back to exercise. We did a lot of walking (well strolling really) in the sun Have kept up with you all when I had WiFi

Penny Wonderful pics

Heather Looks like you're having a great time in Spain. DH and I are quite lazy now we tend to relax by the sea, read and people watch during the day, then eat and a few drinks in the evening

Hope all with health problems are getting better each day

Will get back to Leslie Sansone and my kettlebell and squats and lunges for the sagging butt

We have huge crop of tomatoes which have ripened while we've been away

Kate UK
  • grandmallie
    grandmallie Posts: 9,703 Member
    Options
    morning ladies~
    Penny~ when I was young when I stayed with my grandma we used to go to the high school and they used to show films and speak they called them travelogs... I so enjoyed them and when my grandma and her sisters were younger they enjoyed traveling.. your pictures and descriptions remind me of just that.. so thank you for bringing back wonderful memories, and the photo's are just stunning..
    Lenora~ it was the dog that snores lol not Tom.. Chester goes in for his operation next weds.. Tom left an hr early and took Home back to vet, more fluid under skin and blood panel came back clean except for something with the thyroid so he is still on antibiotic's and now on thyroid meds.. they only charged us for the meds since I had him there the day before...
    we got our king mattress down in Florida at Sam's and that worked great, and is very comfy..
  • 1948CWB
    1948CWB Posts: 1,311 Member
    Options
    flower-basket-smiley-emoticon.gif

Can you tell I've discovered emoticons! LOL
  • KetoneKaren
    KetoneKaren Posts: 6,411 Member
    Options
    DJ Be safe and keep us posted as Matthew comes your way.

Carol t4403.gif

Barbie Healing thoughts! I know Penny's wonderful post was therapeutic, as it was for all of us! <3

Heather Love hearing about Spain, thank you!

Everyone else - fond thoughts for a good day!

Karen in Virginia