Options

Replies

• pipcd34
    pipcd34 Posts: 16,716 Member
    Options
  • DamitJanit
    DamitJanit Posts: 1,329 Member
    Options
    Call me crazy but I love to see other people happy and succeeding .

Good Evening Ladies,

MicheleNC, the Christmas in October is actually a ceremony where we all march up to the Christmas tree and put our stockings (very small) on it that we have put a donation in. The money goes to a specific charity. I’m sure all the Women of the Moose chapters do it at the first meeting in October. 
    Glo, sorry about your Fitbit.

Penny, I loved reading about your trip and the party. It sounds like it was a trip. (later) OMG absolutely beautiful pictures!!!!!

Allis, so sorry for the blow up at home and of course you didn’t sleep well after that. Also sad to hear that Homer isn’t improving. Sending good thoughts for you both!!!! ((((Hugs))))

Katla, glad the mattress seems to be a success.

SueBDue, KarenVA and others, thanks for the inquiry about “Matthew”. As of this morning it is predicted to turn a bit westward as it approaches Myrtle Beach so we are staying put. It’s hard to go with the dogs when you don’t have a place to go. Few hotels will take a large dog. The evacuation for those right on the ocean was even moved from this afternoon to in the morning. People are already leaving but that is when they will close the highways to traffic coming in and all lanes will go away from the beach. If we felt in danger we would take the dogs and run but it should be fine according to the weather reports so far.

Barbie, glad to hear you are following the nurse’s orders after you overdid. Please take care.

Janetr, Happy Anniversary!!! And sending prayers for your health issues. ((((Hugs))))

pretty-pink-welcome-smiley-emoticon.gifto any Newbies that I missed. Come often and join in the chat. This thing works!! Please sign your post with what you want to be called. It makes it easier for us to respond to you. Also a location is great, be it specific or general. We are happy to have you join us.

I’m cooking kale for the first time tonight. *I’m a little slow on what’s in.* Will probably sauté’ it with onions and garlic…may add some bell pepper. Have read a bunch of recipes for it. Wish me luck. I got far behind so had to read fast and respond to few. Please know I love you all and think of you even when I’m not hear. We don’t expect any weather until Friday night after 9:00 and the worst early Saturday morning. That is as of now. I’ll try to keep you posted and will update as I can as long as we don’t lose power. We are preparing for the worse and hoping for the best. windy-smiley-emoticon.gif
    Sending love and good thoughts to all of you and I hope you all have a Happy and Healthy Day!
    Words I live by:
    Savor. I have to slow down and savor every bite.
    and
    Opportunity. Each day offers new opportunities for good health and happiness if we just look for them and choose them.
    I Love you, blow.gif
    DJ
    Myrtle Beach, SC
  • cityjaneLondon
    cityjaneLondon Posts: 12,358 Member
    Options
    Thinking of DJ. <3

WELL, Cordoba is HOT! :o 33° F That is around 96°F. :o Too hot for poor little me from England.
    Sorry no pics yet as my phone hasn't got a good enough signal.
    We arrived at the hotel, far too early, but we're welcomed ok. Tried to book a bus for Friday online, but ended up having to get a taxi to the bus station to book tickets. :sad: Looonnnggg queue,. :s Then walked back and had a delicious, but ridiculously expensive meal in a place the hotel recommended.
    Did a lot of walking around in the extreme heat, Grrrrrrrrrr! Masses of tourist groups. Tatty tourist trap shops spoiling the beautiful historic quarter. Got tetchy with DH. Then eventually went to the Cathedral/Mezquita after the tours had departed. Absolutely fantastic and we'll worth any amount of travelling to get to. It's another thing knocked off my bucket list! The minute I walked in there all my frustration and tiredness dropped away and I was transported. :D:D<3
    It's an ancient Mosque which has been taken over as a Christian cathedral, but the architecture is stunning in the extreme. Red and white horseshoe arches as far as the eye can see. Google it if you want a pic.

Then hotel for a nap, much appreciated.

This evening I looked on TripAdvisor and found a restaurant quite near to us. It was great and very reasonably priced. We sat outside on the terrace because it was so warm and watched the joggers running by the river. Skaters, cyclists, walkers, everyone. :D Beautiful food. 8 small courses. Rosé wine.
    Then the itinerant musician turned up, playing some ghastly rubbish. :ohwell: I asked the restaurant to do something about it, but nothing happened so I went down and told him myself. In Spanish I said " Leave us in peace. This noise is horrible. Please. Please." He stopped and the whole clientele of the restaurant were mighty grateful. :D
    Altogether a great evening.
    Probably 4 hours solid walking around today. Lots of calories.
    We liked the restaurant so much we have booked it again for tomorrow. It does have municipal garbage bins outside, but we didn't mind that too much. It was a really good evening.

Might do the synagogue tomorrow. But no pressure as we've done the most important bit. I will dress for the heat.

Sorry no pics. :s

Love Heather in Cordoba.
  • fanncy0626
    fanncy0626 Posts: 7,152 Member
    Options
    Janetr - <3 Happy Anniversary <3 Have a great time Celebrating!

<3

Mary from Minnesota
  • GRITSandSLUTSandWINOS
    GRITSandSLUTSandWINOS Posts: 2,573 Member
    edited October 2016
    Options
    Katla – Get DH to ‘ask’ his MD about the ‘sleep study’ … if he is ‘snoring’ badly; that is usually the cause of it. Year before last, when we went out to visit DYS, DDnL#2, and DSGD … I fell asleep on the recliner; and, DDnL#2 said I stopped breathing for a minute or longer. When I had the sleep study done (I’ve had 2), was told that I stopped breathing 100x or more during the night and I was in constant motion. Now I wear the C-pap, fall asleep in less than 5 minutes, don’t snore, and feel much better in the morning. A lot of health issues come from being ‘sleep deprived’.

My GP ordered it the first time; the 2nd time I was going to a ‘Lung MD’. If I have to have it done in the future, I am going to ask that it be done like it was the first time. The beds were so much more comfortable than at the ‘Lung MD’s office’.

Glo – I agree with you 100% about sleep apnea causing other health issues. Usually, DH wakes me up in the AM to have ‘fresh’ coffee with him. There have been days, usually when I go to bed late, that he just can’t wake me up, so he leaves me in bed. But, my inside timer will wake me up at 8:15AM almost every time.

Allie – Sorry, thought it was you DH. Wonder if they make C-paps for dogs, Cracker snores, but not very loudly.

KJ (Kelly) – We have a new mattress and box springs. I have to step on a stool to get into bed; and DH uses the rungs to the stool from my make-up table to get into it. It is almost impossible to get into it without the stool. I’m thinking we’re going to end up buying a low profile box spring. It’s not quite as high as a kitchen/bathroom counter … but very close. Good place to fold clothes and pack a suitcase. DH had put risers on the bed when we had our old mattress and box springs because we had a 22” skirt on the bed. This spring I changed the coverlet; but, left the skirt on the bed … too much trouble to change and the coverlet had the same colors in the pattern so we did not have to.

DDnL#2 has a high bed, because her Daddy made it; it has drawers all the way around; and gives her a space under the mattress where she can ‘hide’ things when they go out of town, so if they get burgled; chances are, they won’t look there and it has a false top. Now DYS will have one because his FnL is going to build him one. We saw it back in August; about all he needed to do is add pulls to the drawers and stain it.

I have always laid down on mattresses before buying them. Don’t mind if the store has people in it. I’m going to see how comfortable it is before I buy one. Put the waterproof mattress pad under the mattress warmer we have on the bed. So much better than sleeping under an electric blanket; and, surprisingly we don’t feel the wires that run through it.

drkatiebug – Glad you were able to find a shirt online. We have a Serta pillow top. I put the old mattress cover on it (which was thick as it was); but, we had had it so long that we had waddled out our little nest. Seems like I am sleeping on an incline if I attempt to sleep in the middle. I really need to take those (2) off and put the waterproof mattress cover on and then the mattress warmer. We are going to have to end up buying a low profile box spring for it.

Sue in WA – I am doing my ‘happy dance’ … DH has an appointment with ‘new’ Urologist (in the same practice as his former one, who is out on ‘medical leave’ … don’t know what that is all about); so maybe HE will be able to figure out what is going on with DH. I’m planning on going with it because whatever he does ‘might’ affect me in some way as well. I think I already had my own MD appointment that day, so I will be ‘in town’.

jane – These ‘hump days’ are rolling around so quickly, it feels like a washboard and not just a ‘bump in the road’.

KYKAREN – Will keep you in my thoughts and prayers. {{{{{hugs}}}}}

Margaret – I love [color-purple]purple, too. [color-black]

DJ – We left Daytona Beach just in time; DS and SO had to drive through a lot of rain/wind to get back to Miami. It was pretty windy by Monday night there, especially after the sun went down. Said she’d have to make a run for gas, water, paper goods, and food that could be eaten ‘if’ the power goes out. She rode through Katrina by going to a friend’s house somewhere north of Miami; she was supposed to have been in Homestead with some others. At the last moment changed her mind. Good thing, since Katrina devastated that area. Said that ‘if’ was ‘awful’ and she will evacuate if Miami is ever going to take another ‘direct’ hit and even come to GA. She said that the last storm that came close made her building sway (she's on the 9th floor of a condo that has 13 stories). Said it is made that way, so it won't blow over. She also has hurricane shudders on her place.

At my weigh-in this AM, had only gained 1/2 of a pound. That was great considering all we ate and drank while on vacation. Nurse/MD said that my walking on the beach was probably what kept me from gaining much. I asked her 'if' it would 'catch up to me'. She told me 'no'; but, I do need to make sure I continue with my walking and tracking. Told me to take my 'folder' to my MD in Macon and see if he might want to change my dosage on my bipolar meds. That might be what makes me a little 'dizzy'. The dizziness hasn't occurred too often; but, when it does, I have to take a pill for the dizziness to go away.

Someone, please post the 'directions' to get the different colors. Does it change back to black on its own, or do you have to code in the black?

Thanks,
    Lenora

• 1948CWB
    1948CWB Posts: 1,366 Member
    Options
    Margaret ~ I did a long term sub after I retired at age 58 and enjoyed it. I found that I could not follow the teacher's ways of conducting lessons and came up with my own. At first the students resisted, but, then they fell into step with me. The next school year I tried just subbing and hated it. It was mostly with 5th and 6th graders (it was a school of 1200 5th and & 6th graders only). I found that sometimes i had no idea how to follow the lesson plans and quit the day a parapro corrected me on saying that Viet Nam was two words. That was the way we saw it in the 1960's/70's and I went to a college (North GA. at the time) that was mostly attuned to the ROTC program that produced 2nd Ltds. My DH graduated as a 2nd Ltd. and was sent to Ft. Knox. Anyway, I commend you for your subbing and am glad that you enjoy it.
    Carol
  • 1948CWB
    1948CWB Posts: 1,366 Member
    Options
    Sorry ~ Vietnam was one word. I thought it was two.
  • grandmallie
    grandmallie Posts: 9,807 Member
    Options
    a quick hidee ho before bed, just back from a wake for another friend, had a brain tumor she was 51 and left a preteen daughter.. the place was packed, but damn I have been to wayyyyy to many this year...
    will check in in the a.m.
  • BlueWillowMist
    BlueWillowMist Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    Hello everyone. My name is Ruby aka BlueWillowMist. I'm 58 and need to lose roughly 125 pounds. So I'm back here on My Fitness Pal after being away for a few years. I am my own worst enemy when it comes to losing weight. I want it gone yesterday. I easily become discouraged if I see no weight loss in a couple of weeks or so. Of course, suffering from depression doesn't help. But I am determined to lose the weight if it takes years, which it will.
  • klanders30
    klanders30 Posts: 2,569 Member
    Options
    Accountability worked. I didn't over do it at the meeting, maybe I was surrounded by purple or maybe I knew I had to report back to you all, but I stayed out of the mess. Left on time and went for a fast walk with DH. Having chicken korma and rice pilaf tonite to celebrate my self control. o:)

Stay safe all those in the path of hurricane Matthew. NYKAREN
  • Charleen2
    Charleen2 Posts: 223 Member
    edited October 2016
    Options
    Karen in VA - It's so hard to tell at this point if the hurricane will hit that area or if it will be a moderate glancing lashing, tons of rain and windy gusts. Hope all will be safe and dry and this one becomes the tale the family will talk about instead of cry over. Yes, I have been through more than a few of this hummers myself when I lived back in Maryland. We still talk about Hurricane Bonnie and how she forced our 1 week vacation at the Outer Banks (NC) into a 1 day vacation. t111077.gif

Trust DJ knows what needs to be done and if it's not safe she will high tail it out with dogs in tow.

Charleen in Colorado (My hurricane skills are now obsolete in Colorado)
  • suebdew
    suebdew Posts: 1,330 Member
    Options
    Played golf today in the heat. Wore me out!!Unfortunately, it's two day tournament and it will be hotter tomorrow.
    Janetr- Happy Anniversary. Hope the new dr finds the reason for your rash.
    Everyone in the path of the hurricane take precautions don't wait until it's too late.
    Going to bed early tonite. The color has an= in it.
    SueBDew
  • KetoneKaren
    KetoneKaren Posts: 6,411 Member
    edited October 2016
    Options
    Charleen I bet hurricane skills are like riding a bicycle...a couple of wobbles and you're back on track! We are fortunate that we live far enough inland that we only get the edges of the storms, usually a lot of wind and rain. We lost electricity in Isabel for 11 days in 2003, so now we have a generator. When I was a kid I had tornado skills because we lived in Nebraska. Now I don't have any weather skills except that I do know how to get to work in the snow which requires a blade attachment and counter weights for my John Deere and a car with 4 wheel drive.

DJ strong-wind-smiley-emoticon.gif Take care!

Karen in Virginia
  • jmkmomm
    jmkmomm Posts: 3,247 Member
    Options
    Today we went down to our big street festival, the Fall Festival. To those who haven't heard me speaking of it, it is the wn largest street festival, Mardi Gras is the 1st. But this is more family friendly. It is from Monday through Saturday and we will have approximately 300,00 people there. Evansville is an old German Catholic community and it likes its food, especially deep fried. A couple of years ago one of the local hospitals decided to look into the different foods sold and put heart healthy signs on booths that offer something a little more heart healthy. So I did have a grilled chicken on whole wheat and water. But then I also had a staple that is there every single year and I think it is the only item they sell, sweet corn on the cob. And it is so good. But it is a large ear. Michelle came over with deep fried s'mores and gave me a bite. YMMMMMM. You do have to do a fair share of walking as it is about 6 blocks of food booths on either side of the street. I ended it by going to a fairly new booth by a woman who has a specialty shop on Main street of nice delicacies and had chocolate covered cheesecake bites. They were about 1 in square and you get 4. I did share one. Well I didn't share it, Michelle took it! They have deep fried everything from candy bars, twinkies, brain sandwiches, huge texas tenderloins. Just everything. Of course the ladies at the catholic churches have to sell their kuchens which I have always bypassed. They also have pronto pups and corn dogs. Basically the same except the pronto pup has a most delicious batter, also monster ears and elephant ears, the monster ears the best. Deep fried batter, very thin and dipped in syrup and you goo all the way down the street with bees following you.

I had at first told her I wasn't going to go and charlie was going to go with her. She took a vacation day to be able to go. None of her friends could go. Then the Vice Presidential debate was last night was last night and Charlie was not happy about it. There was no way I was going to do that to my daughter. She did not deserve trying to have fun down there with a man whose main conversation was the debate. He was hot under the collar. So I went. It's always the first week in October. Sometimes you wear winter cots, jackets, raincoats, or like this week shorts and t shirts. Wonderful weather which of course makes for good fund raising which is what the whole Fall Festival is all about. One place even ran out of their chicken and dumplings! For some reason I could feel myself getting dizzy. Seats aren't that easy to find unless you are in the street which has a lot of tables. No seats around the booths. I tried to sit on the curb since I know that is the only way to resolve the dizziness. So of course I couldn't get back up and I have a guy with Parkinson's and my daughter trying to get me up!!!! Dizzy again when I got home so only took half of my B/P pills. Of course B/P was high again after supper.

Way back in the day when water beds were the thing, we got water beds for all of us. The girls wad full wave and we had a King waveless. We eventually got tired of it, not even mentioning how hard it is to put a sheet on. So that frame is in Christina's old bedroom with a regular California King mattress. We have a big memory foam mattress topper on it. One comfortable bed! But also bad to put a sheet on.

DJ, thinking of you this week. I am glad we live way inland although we do live in tornado alley here in the Ohio River valley.

Joyce, Iniana
  • fanncy0626
    fanncy0626 Posts: 7,152 Member
    Options
    Joyce- we have two water bed frame with the 12 drawer pedestal underneath them we put our memory foam mattress on top. We bought an older homes and the bedrooms are smaller so the storage of the water bed frame is phenomenal!

<3

Mary from Minnesota

• KetoneKaren
    KetoneKaren Posts: 6,411 Member
    edited October 2016
    Options
    I love my memory foam mattress! Don't have a water bed frame, though. Sounds like a good combo.

Janetr Happy Anniversary! hug-from-behind.gif

Karen in Virginia
  • Katla49
    Katla49 Posts: 10,385 Member
    Options
    JanetR: Happy Anniversary! :heart: :heart: :heart:

Ruby AKA Blue Willow Mist: Welcome to a great group of supportive women. :smiley:

Mary: I'm so glad we aren't the only ones who still use our waterbed frame with drawers underneath. :bigsmile:

Add me to the list of people praying for DJ and others in the Myrtle Beach SC area who are in the path of the upcoming storm. :heart:

We occasionally go to a restaurant/bar called The Thirsty Lion. We always order a bit of food and our very favorite is Scotch Eggs. I tried to make them at home tonight using a muffin pan. What I produced tasted great but wasn't beautiful to look at. I plan to try again using something other than a muffin pan. If anyone has a good recipe I would love to see it.

Katla in Beautiful NW Oregon

“Our greatest weakness lies in giving up. The most certain way to succeed is always to try just one more time.” Thomas A. Edison
  • pipcd34
    pipcd34 Posts: 16,716 Member
    Options
    stats for the day:
    ride hm 2 gym- 13.57min, 12.6amph, 146mhr, 2.9mi =148c
    spin- 40min, 119ahr, 83ar, 103aw, 11-16g, 134mhr, 16.5mi = 307c
    ride gym 2 dome- ,7.48min, 10.8amph, 138mhr, 1.4mi = 87c
    ride dome 2 hm- 19.03min, 8.1amph, 153mhr, 2.5mi = 199c
    total cal 741
  • tngram2seven
    tngram2seven Posts: 465 Member
    Options
    Happy anniversary, Janetr

Praying for those of you in the path of Matthew. My step daughter and family live near Cocoa Beach. We are hoping the predictions are worse than the actual event.

Day 5 done on this renewed path
    TN Toni