WOMEN AGES 50+ FOR OCTOBER 2016

Options

Replies

• KJLaMore
    KJLaMore Posts: 2,836 Member
    edited October 2016
    Options
    Good morning all! Doing a bit of lurking again. Still fighting this sinus thing; but watching the kids while I do it. Soup and tea have been my saviors (other than that pint of ice cream I had on Saturday). Two days ago, my dh asked me what I need from the store and I told him soup and some sore throat lozenges. When I woke up Monday morning to neither, I was disappointed but got by with tea and toast and Mucinex and Tylenol. He called from work Monday late afternoon and told me he was stopping at the store on the way home and did I still want the soup and med. Yes, please. Woke up Tuesday to no soup and no sore throat lozenges. I almost cried! REally?! When he is sick I make a special trip to the store to get whatever he wants/needs. Feeling a little better today and woke up to my dh coming in the door (5:30am) with soup and sore throat lozenges. "Sorry! I almost forgot!" Geez! He is a pill!
    Penny- Love the pics! That blue is just gorgeous!
    Heather- Oh the strolling and the tapas! My spirit is there with you!
    Mattress people- dh and I are still using his old waterbed frame from the '80's. We took it off from the drawer pedestal and built a lower frame so we don't have to climb up; but that was years ago, so we are looking for a new bed frame also. We also converted to regular mattress long ago. We found out that when the power goes out, a waterbed gets too cold to sleep on. And it takes a good day or two to warm back up. Two years ago, we went to a flash sale at a local bed/mattress store and got 50% off on our king sized mattress. Still ended up paying over $600 for it, and it is pure garbage! Anyway, getting ready to shop again and boy, lesson learned, I will definitely be doing more home work on mattresses and trying some out. I have warned family and friends that I may take a lie down on their bed when I visit to test their mattress.
    Kids arriving. Pancakes on the griddle. B) gotta fly <3 KJ (Kelly)
  • 1948CWB
    1948CWB Posts: 1,366 Member
    Options
    KJL Get well soon!

Penny Thanks so much for sharing your pictures and story. You are a wonderful writer!

Carol
  • SSC1958
    SSC1958 Posts: 411 Member
    Options
    DJ: I echo Karen in Virginia. Be safe!

Carol: Emoticons and coloured text. WTG!

Kelly: Some of our mattress vendors here offer a 90 day comfort guarantee you can try out the mattress for 90 days and if you don't like it you can exchange it for a different one. I bought mine a few years ago and didn't realize that they made box springs that were low profile. They even have some that would fit into a waterbed frame. So now I have to pole vault into mine. I'm considering buying a new one so that I can just sit on it to take off my socks! Amazing what you miss. :)

Off to work I go... later my friends,

Carey - Northern Alberta

Goals for Oct:
    - Increase walking now that the hamstring has healed
    - Get to Tai Chi at least once a week
  • csofled
    csofled Posts: 3,022 Member
    Options
    :)
  • Charleen2
    Charleen2 Posts: 223 Member
    Options
    Penny - The beauty and quiet just radiates from your photos. What a lucky person you are to experience it.

Charleen in Colorado (Chilly morning, time to begin winterizing)
  • Katla49
    Katla49 Posts: 10,385 Member
    Options
    KJL: Good luck testing mattresses. I'll be looking forward to a report. :flowerforyou:

Katla in Beautiful NW Oregon
  • grandmallie
    grandmallie Posts: 9,807 Member
    Options
    Morning again ladies~ tried to do the color typing and doesn't work for me, I might need another tutorial...
    Anyway went down to see DFIL still in bed and they were keeping him there as he has a rash on his stomach and groin area.. that happened before and it was because they didn't change him regularly .. got ticked at that. but all his boys have some time of skin thing going on.. itchy skin all year long... so they said they would call me with results..
    don't go into work until 1 today and so I baked cookies, did a load of laundry and made hamburgers to freeze..
    I am staying overnight tomorrow to take care of Faith as they will be going up North to close up beach house.. ,just one night I can handle that..
    I have been looking at mattresses myself... since Kyle and Tracy have my bed have been sleeping on a futon, and the mattress is quite good, but looking for a bed that I can have for a couple of years, and to take for spare room in Florida..
  • drkatiebug
    drkatiebug Posts: 1,946 Member
    Options
    Penny. Beautiful pictures.

Katla, I'm glad your mattress is working out. I guess you would have to take care of discarding your old one if you got one from Sam's Club. Mattresses are definitely a personal choice when it comes to comfort. Both of ours came from our local furniture store and they are pretty comfy. We paid around $1000 each for them. I don't know the brand but they are similar to Tempurpedic. I think you either love those or hate them. We love them. The owner of the store told us that if it was not the most comfortable bed we'd ever slept on, just call him up and he would take it back - money back guarantee. Luckily we didn't have to return them, but we have returned things in the past, and he was very nice about it. I special ordered a coffee table once that was absolutely too big for the space when delivered. He just loaded it back on the truck. I like shopping local, but I understand when local doesn't meet your needs. My son needed a new white dress shirt for a catering side job that he has. After visiting 4 local stores with the cheapest choice being $36 and the sleeves still too short and the bottom too big around, I gladly clicked on the correct size, $17.99 one from Amazon.
  • pipcd34
    pipcd34 Posts: 16,716 Member
    Options
  • skuehn48
    skuehn48 Posts: 2,887 Member
    Options
    Hello ladies: Up and got my water exercise done this morning, but now I am dragging. DH did not go to the YM today as he is fighting kidney stones. He told me when I got back from the Y I could take him to the ER but now he has decided not to go. Currently he is eating soup on the theory that if he does go to ER they will not want to operate to get the stone so it won't matter if he has eaten. He should be drinking large amounts of water and lemonade but instead is drinking soda and taking muscle relaxers two at a time. NOT good. But he is a 68 yo adult and I cannot tell him anything. DD who also is prone to kidney stones has tried talking to him to no avail. I suspect we will eventually end up in the ER probably when I should be at choir.

Margaret - Thank you so much for the information. DD said she usually places an order for her store with Oriental Trading but had not seen those flamingos.

Penny - Such awesome pictures. I agree with Allie, it is kind of like a travelogue.

Heather - Spain sounds wonderful. How are you doing with your Spanish?

Sending healing angels to all who need them and congratulations to those with victories. Sue in WA

"We turn not older with years, but newer every day." - Emily Dickinson
  • janemartin02
    janemartin02 Posts: 2,653 Member
    Options
    happy hump day
    hugs jane :)
  • janetr7476
    janetr7476 Posts: 4,001 Member
    edited October 2016
    Options
    NYKaren - GOOD job. You got this!!

So the doctor today was great, love her, may take her home with me. :) Ordered more blood tests to check for autoimmune diseases such as lupus and vasculitis. Was very good with her explanation of what she is checking for and why. I also had a chest xray. She should have most of results back by Friday and will call me. Hurry up and wait. :)

Janetr
  • Katla49
    Katla49 Posts: 10,385 Member
    edited October 2016
    Options
    Dr. Katie: We also prefer to shop local, but we've bought mattresses from our local store and they were garbage so we won't go to them again. :ohwell:

Sue: I'm sorry your DH is being stubborn about his health. My kids think I'm stubborn about mine and I think I'm doing just fine. My doctor agrees with me on that assessment. I'll bet your DH's doctor agrees with you. :ohwell:

NYKaren: You have a good strategy in mind for getting rid of stress. I'm sorry you lost sleep because of the situation and hope it can be resolved to your satisfaction. (((hugs)))

Alison: To make things colored you need [ color = red ] your words [ /color = red ] I added spaces between my symbols so you would see the what you need to do. You'll need to remove the spaces to get your desired result.

Katla in Beautiful NW Oregon

Tibetan proverb: "The secret to living well and long is: Eat half, walk double, laugh triple and love without measure..."

“Our greatest weakness lies in giving up. The most certain way to succeed is always to try just one more time.” Thomas A. Edison
  • 1948CWB
    1948CWB Posts: 1,366 Member
    Options
    Got my first pair of prescription sunglasses today and love them! They will certainly help with sun glare when driving during the Fall time.

Carol
  • barbiecat
    barbiecat Posts: 16,982 Member
    Options
    The reason most people fail instead of succeed is that they trade what they want the MOST for what they want at the MOMENT.

Strategy is stronger than willpower.

petting-poodle-smiley-emoticon.gif I am experimenting with colors.

• fanncy0626
    fanncy0626 Posts: 7,152 Member
    edited October 2016
    Options
    I don't take out the spaces and it seems to work for me! Also it is not case sensitive! Which is nice I can use the microphone on my iPhone.

Stronglift Workout B
    Squat-1X5X 55/65/75/85/95, 5X5X 100
    OHP- 1X5X 45/50/55/60, 5X5X 55
    DL-1X5X 150

Kettlebell Swing
    Russian kettle bell swing-20 X 10 X 35

Walk 1,000 Miles Challenge
    2 miles

<3

Mary from Minnesota
  • margaretturk
    margaretturk Posts: 5,094 Member
    edited October 2016
    Options
    Karen I can so relate. I keep telling myself just because I see the hook does not mean I have to bite. If I happen to get hooked and right now there is family drama that is next to impossible to stay out of and not get hooked . I have told myself I have a daily quotient for dealing with it. When the limit is reached for the day I will not discuss it further. If someone does not honor that me included I promise I will move on as quickly as possible. i.e . I have reached it for today. Time to go garden and tonight is choir so I will be singing. Tomorrow I will sub for two teachers (It is a split assignment) who I have subbed for in previous years and like how both of them run their rooms.

Another story a friend of my sister told me is to think of these difficult people encased in the color purple so they are forced to deal with the issues for themselves. I knew there was a reason purple is a favorite color of mine.

:heart: Margaret
  • KetoneKaren
    KetoneKaren Posts: 6,411 Member
    Options
    Horry County (Myrtle Beach, SC) has been ordered to start evacuating tomorrow morning. That's our DJ.

Karen in Virginia
  • janetr7476
    janetr7476 Posts: 4,001 Member
    edited October 2016
    Options
    Horry County (Myrtle Beach, SC) has been ordered to start evacuating tomorrow morning. That's our DJ.

Karen in Virginia

Oh goodness, I've been thinking of her for two days and telling Jack that DJ lives right there in the path. Praying for her and her husband.

Janetr