WOMEN AGES 50+ FOR OCTOBER 2016

Options

Replies

• Katla49
    Katla49 Posts: 10,385 Member
    Options
    Penny: The party in the Arctic Circle sounds wonderful. I am so happy you shared because reading about it has put a smile on my face. :bigsmile:

Alison: Sending good thoughts for Homer. :flowerforyou:

Pauline: Welcome to a great group! I live in Oregon, too. We live beside the Columbia River, downstream from Portland. What part of the state do you live in? :huh:

Tammy: We welcome newcomers. Tell us about yourself. Where are you from? :flowerforyou:

I think moving the newer mattress from the guest room to our room is a success. DH is still unsure but I envision buying another just like it and sending the old mattress we were using to the dump. Our bed-frame needs to be replaced, though. We bought it in the 1970's for a waterbed. We've been using it ever since with conventional mattresses. It has drawers under it and is rather high, especially with a thick mattress on top. When I was a little girl my mom dad would tell me to climb into bed and here I am, past 60, climbing into bed again. :laugh: I don't mind but DH isn't crazy about it. :noway:

Katla in Beautiful NW Oregon

“Our greatest weakness lies in giving up. The most certain way to succeed is always to try just one more time.” Thomas A. Edison
  • tngram2seven
    tngram2seven Posts: 465 Member
    Options
    Hello everyone,

I find myself looking forward to checking in with you. Quite a change in my attitude compared to the last several months. This is day 4 of my renewed journey. I feel strong, encouraged, and determined -one day at a time!

Welcome, Tammy. You're right. This is a wonderful group for encouragement and support.
    Glad you are here, Pauline. This is a great place to be.
    Re, love your attitude. Keep up the good work.
    Penny, it sounds like the people way, way, way up north know how to have a good time. I think it would be very interesting to be with people from so many different places and cultures.

Hubby has today off so we are going to run some errands and go out for a late lunch. Looking forward to seeing teacher friends who are on fall break later in the week. I still work at the Y about 18 hours/week.(Fri.-Sat.-Sun.) It is just the right mix for me.

TN Toni
  • cityjaneLondon
    cityjaneLondon Posts: 12,356 Member
    edited October 2016
    Options
    Hi all!
    The pic of me in my silly sun hat is on my phone, so you will just have my chat.
    Neither of us slept too well. Too much fino and Manzanilla sherry. And too much tapas! Much against my better judgement I had some fried squidlets. Delicious, but oh that batter! Did better in another place with grilled veggies.
    It was great to be sitting outside in the evening, in just a t shirt, people watching and sipping an ice cold fino. B) Iberico ham to nibble. :D Lots of wandering about trying to spot the perfect place for another glass and another dish.

I've done better today with a sensible lunch of grilled bream and salads. No alcohol yet. :D We bought our train tickets for tomorrow, got a taxi back, (we walked there) and visited the Picasso museum. Then my lean lunch.
    Afterwards we did Picasso's birthplace and another small museum. Wonderful to see his family stuff and the toys he played with. You could see the painter emerging.
    Then it was the Alcazar - a Moorish fortress on a hill. Great views and tranquil gardens and a good Islamic pottery display.
    Freshly squeezed orange juice was our reward, then it was back to the hotel for a nap.
    We're off in a minute to walk the streets looking for a tapas place. We will limit the sherry tonight. :*;) I am after some more fish.
    Going to glam up, Love Heather, currently in Andalusia.
  • oceanmelody
    oceanmelody Posts: 399 Member
    Options
    I have nothing to report, just have to try this color thing haha
    do I have any purple prose?
    Betty YES!

• jmkmomm
    jmkmomm Posts: 3,247 Member
    Options
    Penny and Heather, we need pictures. Please??????

Tammy, we are always open to new and old members that are coming back.

Mary, I am sure many of us, including me is jealous of your hair. It looks think, or at least full.

I didn't sleep well at all last night. I wanted to stay up yesterday evening even though I was loopy. I wasn't drowsy, just loopy. But I feel beat up this morning. Don't like this feeling.

I looked at my cell phone and saw I had a call from my doctor's office at 9 AM. So I called them and they had got the report of my MRI. Was totally shocked since it was last night at 5 PM. Moderate foraminal stenosis on the left and right. So they are setting up an appointment with a surgeon. That doesn't mean I will have surgery. I looked at the condition on line and surgery is used when the stenosis limits your movements and life. Although this does affect me I'm not sure if it is enough for a surgeon. I know that holding a cell phone with my right hand and using it with my left hand, since I am left handed, it sure hurts. Hurts a lot for me to bend my head down and hooking my bra. So am in limbo again.

Joyce, Indiana
  • Katla49
    edited October 2016
    Options
    Joyce: I looked this up on the internet. It seems as though a good surgical outcome is quite possible if surgery is necessary. I hope you'll keep us in the loop when you have your appointment with the surgeon. You have enviable skills to draw on when it is time to make a decision. I'm sure you'll make the right choice for you. (((HUGS)))

"So many of us believe in perfection, which ruins everything else, because the perfect is not only the enemy of the good; it's also the enemy of the realistic, the possible and the fun."
  • suebdew
    suebdew Posts: 1,330 Member
    Options
    DJ-thinking of you as evacuation are being ordered for SC coast. Please be safe
    SueBDew
  • 1948CWB
    1948CWB Posts: 1,366 Member
    Options
    balloons.gif
  • drkatiebug
    drkatiebug Posts: 1,946 Member
    Options
    Katla49 wrote: »

I think moving the newer mattress from the guest room to our room is a success. DH is still unsure but I envision buying another just like it and sending the old mattress we were using to the dump. Our bed-frame needs to be replaced, though. We bought it in the 1970's for a waterbed. We've been using it ever since with conventional mattresses. It has drawers under it and is rather high, especially with a thick mattress on top. When I was a little girl my mom dad would tell me to climb into bed and here I am, past 60, climbing into bed again. :laugh: I don't mind but DH isn't crazy about it. :noway:

“Our greatest weakness lies in giving up. The most certain way to succeed is always to try just one more time.” Thomas A. Edison

Everytime we have ever bought a new mattress, they have taken our old one away when they deliver our new one.
  • 1948CWB
    1948CWB Posts: 1,366 Member
    Options
    Katla - We recently moved our pillow top mattress into the guest room and put my mom's really old flat top on our bed. We are overall sleeping well. Even though the mattress is old, it was not used very much at all. Now I need an orthopedic pillow for my neck pain.

Carol in GA
  • Katla49
    Options
    Dr. Katie: Our DDIL ordered the most recent mattress from Sam's Club. It was shipped via UPS directly to our front door. Getting it inside, upstairs & out of its shipping box was up to us. We tried to shop local before this and it netted us 2 garbage mattresses, so the local furniture store will not supply our next mattress. We're not members of Sam's Club so I'll ask her to order another if DH says he likes this one well enough.

• janetr7476
    janetr7476 Posts: 4,001 Member
    edited October 2016
    Options
    Penny, awe struck, I have no other words. Thank you.

This afternoon we rode thru cotton fields as far as the eye could see. The last two days I've been nauseous and dizzy so had hung around the motor home. It was nice to get out. It's almost 90 degrees outside, supposed to cool off to 60s by this weekend.

Janetr
  • pipcd34
    pipcd34 Posts: 16,714 Member
    Options
  • ilikegardens
    ilikegardens Posts: 134 Member
    Options
    Penny, Amazing, beautiful, stark...I loved your descriptions of the sounds of the Arctic.

KarenE
  • oceanmelody
    oceanmelody Posts: 399 Member
    Options
    Penny, thank you so much for photos and description!!!
    Betty
  • margaretturk
    margaretturk Posts: 5,093 Member
    Options
    Penny WOW!
  • pipcd34
    pipcd34 Posts: 16,714 Member
    Options
  • KetoneKaren
    KetoneKaren Posts: 6,411 Member
    Options
    Penny b0225.gif

Karen in Virginia
  • tngram2seven
    tngram2seven Posts: 465 Member
    Options
    Penny - beautiful pictures and description of your adventure!

Toni in Tennessee