WOMEN AGES 50+ FOR OCTOBER 2016

Options

Replies

• Lagopus
    Lagopus Posts: 1,016 Member
    Options
    Aww, Lillian, you're not ready for snow yet? I sure am! We're losing about 20 minutes of daylight every day now and a blanket of white snow makes a huge difference. On Monday we got an inch or so and it was incredible how everyone's spirits lifted. :smiley: But on Tuesday it got warm and slushy and by yesterday nearly all the snow was gone again. :(

I just got back from my run for the day. The conditions were glorious - no wind, and about one degree above freezing so the roads were all dry. There was even some pale sunlight as the sun rolled along the horizon in the south. All that meant I ran farther than I otherwise would have. I clocked 9 kilometers, which puts me slightly ahead of schedule for both my monthly goal (160 km) and my yearly goal (1609 km a.k.a. 1000 miles). I need a buffer because I KNOW I will get a cold or sore throat sooner or later, and I KNOW there will be days when the weather is uncooperative.

Speaking of weather, I'm keeping all of you along the US eastern seaboard in my thoughts. Stay safe!

At choir practice this week, the conductor pulled out a "new" piece for us, which he wanted us to learn by imitation, not by reading the music. It turned out to be a wonderful song from the repertoire of my little (semi-defunct) quartet. On the bright side, that meant I already knew it and didn't have to learn it. But I surprised myself by feeling incensed about the big choir "stealing" a piece that "belonged" to my quartet! :grumble:

Tonight we're invited to dinner at the home of my quartet's alto. She will be serving fish (cod) caught in the fjord just outside town. Being able to catch fish here is a relatively new thing. Until recently, all you could catch was tiny, essentially inedible high-arctic species. But with the warming of the oceans, fish populations are moving north. Should I rejoice or weep? I'll stop there before I get too political.

/Penny at the North Pole, where the days are getting shorter and shorter
  • cityjaneLondon
    cityjaneLondon Posts: 12,275 Member
    edited October 2016
    Options
    Oh poor Lillian! I'm in 96° heat! I did better in the heat today as we started early and I was back in the hotel by 3 pm, leaving DH to march about for another hour. Nice and cool in the room. Now DH has returned and is snoring on the bed. <3

We started off with breakfast, which was not to our liking. Too much carbohydrate and sweet stuff like cake. I got by for asking for another wholemeal roll and had it with a bit of tomato and chopped ham. A few grapes. I have asked for some cheese for tomorrow. They are trying hard and eager to please, but it is just wrong for us. Everything we shouldn't be eating.
    The hotel is trying to be stylish, but failing to hit the mark. Some things like the sliding glass door to the bathroom are just plain annoying.

The synagogue was an interesting relic of the era before the Sephardic Jews were expelled from Spain. In Cordoba they had to leave in 1381, or they had to convert to Catholicism. Many pretended to convert amidst great suffering and were tortured and killed in the Inquisition. Maimonides, a famous Jewish philosopher, was born in Cordoba in the 12th century, but had to leave in earlier persecutions under a change to a more extreme Muslim rule around then. There is a huge Jewish historical area around the synagogue.
    We also went to a Sephardic house museum, where we learnt a lot about their lives, food, music, culture and language. :D There were some strong women, poets and scholars.

Then we went to an Andalusi house, which had a Roman mosaic floor in the basement and a design like a Moroccan house with courtyards, fountains and small gardens with orange trees. It was originally Muslim before the Spanish Christians reconquered Spain. It had a display showing how Cordoba was the first place in Europe to make paper from rags.

Then we walked up to the market where you can eat tapas, but we didn't like the music so we sought out a recommended tapas bar nearby. We had tiny sardines, artichokes with slivers of ham, and white beans with tiny bits of pheasant. I was determined to get my veggies in. :D I liked the place and the area because it was where real Cordobans live and work. No tourists.
    Then walked past a Roman temple and visited a square where people were burnt to death in the Inquisition. It was used as a Roman race course and for bullfights.
    Then I walked back to the hotel. Phew! If you take off the meal and a coffee, I was actually walking for three and a half hours. We will probably do another hour this evening. Great calorie burn! I'm not a good walker as my hips hurt after a while, so I did take some pain killers. OK now after a rest. I did some stretches and bends this morning as I am stiffening up.

Love to all, Heather in Andalusia.
  • Whitbygramgirl
    Whitbygramgirl Posts: 75 Member
    Options
    Okay - Melanie here - a.k.a. Wickglamgirl - here are my somewhat belated goals for October

NOPE - NOT ONE POUND EVER! - that means I'm doing to do my very best not to gain anything.

Having said that - I would like to just lose - I haven't lost in weeks but I feel thinner - you know that feeling?

1. don't gain
    2. just lose
    3. move
    4. have fun!
  • megblair1
    megblair1 Posts: 1,218 Member
    Options
    Hi ladies. I'm still hanging in there. We still can't get on our personal drives here at work, so I may just go home and get the grocery shopping done.

Hope you are all doing ok! meg from rainy Omaha
  • Katla49
    Katla49 Posts: 10,385 Member
    Options
    DGD is now in Girl Scouts & hit me up for the magazine sale. I found a magazine I really want and ordered it! Yay!! I also wanted to order a magazine for DGD but was unable to lump them into one order because of the separate addresses. I've sent a message to DD, asking whether the magazine I'm thinking of is appropriate for DGD, and/or if she is already getting it from someone else.

• cityjaneLondon
    cityjaneLondon Posts: 12,275 Member
    Options
    p5nxas74rvgd.jpg

Cordoba from the other side of the Roman bridge

Heather xxxxx

• grandmallie
    grandmallie Posts: 9,743 Member
    Options
    Heather ~ love the picture of you and hubby!!! hey if the hat keeps the sun off of you so be it!!
  • Katla49
    Options
    Heather: I love the Bull Wrestling photo of you and your DH, & also the view of Cordoba. The black, pink, black combination on you is striking. :flowerforyou:
  • fanncy0626
    fanncy0626 Posts: 7,139 Member
    edited October 2016
    Options
    Heather- I love your hat! You look amazing! The other pictures are breathtaking!

Stronglift Rest Day

Kettlebell Swing
    Goblet squat-3X5X 40
    Russian kettle bell swing-13 X 10 X 40
    Week one, day two of increasing from 7-10 reps. This is to increase my strength to transition to the 45 pound kettle bell.

Walk 1,000 Miles Challenge
    5 miles

<3

Mary from Minnesota
  • janetr7476
    janetr7476 Posts: 4,001 Member
    Options
    Heather, you look terrific in the hat. So very thrilled to see your pictures. I told Jack yesterday how I was anxiously waiting for your phone to get enough signal. Thanks for sharing. <3

Janetr
  • fanncy0626
    fanncy0626 Posts: 7,139 Member
    Options
    I just wanted to let everyone here know that I joined a challenge a day group. My insomnia has been at the record daily event! I feel so lethargic during the day that it is even hard for me to get my workout done. So, I decided to join that group and see if that would help. Today's challenge was to get up and take a walk periodically during the day. I normally do walk as you all know but then I usually just sit around because I am so exhausted from not sleeping. So instead I set my alarm for 6-1 hour time periods 12 o'clock, 1 o'clock,… I then get ready for my walk take Shep (my dog) out of course and set my timer for 10 minutes. I walked at a brisk pace and when the timer went off I turned around and came home. I thought it might be fun if on here we might challenge each other once in a while to do something outside of what we normally do.

<3

Mary from Minnesota
  • GRITSandSLUTSandWINOS
    GRITSandSLUTSandWINOS Posts: 2,573 Member
    edited October 2016
    Options
    Glo – To be ‘hit’ with or the ‘fly’?

Lisa in West Texas – “Y’all” doesn’t bother me, at all, I use it ALL the time; other than when ‘you’ is more formally needed.

Allie – We left Daytona Beach earlier this week; I’m glad our sisters’ vacation was not planned for this weekend. Surf was pretty rough with a strong undertow; so did not get in it but once or twice and usually not above my knees; sat down the first time and felt like I got sand up my ‘kitten’. Could not wait to get a shower.

Are y’all going to have a ‘mandatory evacuation’?

Janet – For some reason I cannot eat my ‘protein bars’ any other time, than with my coffee at night. I usually drink 1.5 cups of coffee x 2; and then cut my bars in half so I will have some to eat with each coffee.

Katla – I was the one who had play "Mexican Train Dominoes" before; but, I think I got my both of my sisters hooked. So I will be taking it to the “Women’s Retreat” in November because the first night we eat, have a session, and are back in our chalet’s early. There were just some things that the directions that came in the tin, just wasn’t clear how to handle it. At the rate I was going; I would have been drawing forever! But, if I had, then I would have had a lot I could play off to start my train. By then, I could play off my sisters’ lines, because they both had ‘trains’ on them for not being able to extend their train, play off the others, or ‘open’ a double domino line. I had to buy my trays separates; thinking I am going to buy 2 more. I don’t think it would be as much fun to play with 8 people and the bone yard would have less to choose from. I’m sure the more players you have, the less the number of dominoes would be less. Neither my DH nor I are into card games; but, we caught on fast and did pretty well; but, neither of us won the game. Close, but no ‘cigar’.

Have any of you had ‘tile’ fish? My sister’s SO said that it is a ‘deep’ water fish; and, pretty pricey; but, very good. I like crab and/or salmon cakes … if they are made correctly. Several years ago visited with my sister and we went to an art festival in South Beach and sampled some that were outstanding! Crab cakes that is.

Heather – We get visited by the “Jehovah Witnesses” about once a quarter. I usually see them coming down the driveway; so, I meet them ‘out on the deck’ … they are very polite when I tell them we are Catholic. They still hand me their pamphlets. This last time, the man and woman were walking to their car and he turned around and ‘asked who we prayed to’. I told him God and Jesus; but, Mary was revered because she was the earthly mother of Jesus. I think that must have satisfied him because they have not been back since. The other day, when I was dressed in my ‘semi-long’ PJs the doorbell rang; and, there was a much younger man; but, when I attempted to ‘open’ the door a little; Cracker was having a ‘fit’ so I told him it was not a good time for me to talk. He left; but, was polite. We’ve had a break-in about a month ago. Neighbor’s shed was broken into and they took his lawnmower and several tools. DH was glad that I have always locked the door; until he is outside in the yard and then wanting to get back in. He hasn’t fussed about it since the break-in occurred.

Sister’s SO always asked the ‘locals’ to recommend a restaurant. We ate at 3 ‘new’ places this trip and all were very delicious! The one in the Hyatt was very, very expensive; but, food and service was excellent. DH was having one of his ‘spells’ and would not go with us. All afternoon they all tried to get him to let us take him to the ER; but, he refused. By the time we got home, he had been able to pass urine. He moans and groans like he is trying to pass ‘kidney stones’; but, isn’t. We are seeing a ‘new’ Urologist; but, in the same practice; almost happy that his regular one is ‘out of medical leave’. DH will never agree to have the same procedure without being ‘put under’ and I won’t let them ever do that to him again. We just want to find out what is going on – NOW!

(still for Heather) - Sounds like you had a wonderful trip! Beautiful pixs; and, at least your ears were protected from the sun. My hat at the beach was too big and I had to hold it on my head, if I wore it. LOL! Wrestling with a ‘bull’ … when my DGDs were little and we have deer mounts on the wall, they’d look at them, then go into the next room to see if the back end of them were on the other side.

Melanie – Usually, that means you are turning fat into muscle; muscle weighs more than fat; and, it will also make you thinner (or at least feel that way).

Lenora
  • pipcd34
    pipcd34 Posts: 16,601 Member
    Options
  • GRITSandSLUTSandWINOS
    GRITSandSLUTSandWINOS Posts: 2,573 Member
    Options
    For all of you with 'sleep issues' ... ask your mate 'if your snore'; 'if so'; then get your MD to order a 'sleep study' to see if you have 'sleep apnea'. That is one cause for waking up at all hours of the night and then feeling awful the next day (even 'if' you think you are sleeping through the night. A C-pap is not the most 'beautiful' thing to have to wear; but, the benefits are well worth it. I use a 'wisp' mask because I am too claustrophobic to wear even a half-mask, much less a 'full' mask. They'll work with you with the different masks to help you sleep better.

Lenora

PS - You can't talk when you have it on, unless you don't mind sounding like "Darth Vadar". I used to tell DH; that if I wore all 'black' and threw a 'black' scarf over my head, I could go 'trick or treating' as "Darth Vadar" for sure.
  • csofled
    csofled Posts: 3,022 Member
    Options
    :)
  • GloworminWA
    GloworminWA Posts: 704 Member
    Options
    Lenora that was actually a person pulling their hair out . . . LOL

In a much better mood today. Didn't get to sleep until 4am for some reason so went back to bed after I got the boys off to school and slept until 11. Yesterday was frustrated over all the new websites we have to become proficient with because the school district wants us to use them instead of them sending out papers. I just could not get onto any of them and I am VERY computer saavy. The music teacher told me they are already thinking of changing to another program as the developer of the one they used last year made some changes and now everyone is having trouble with it. Obviously they had not heard the old adage "if it's not broke don't fix it." Anyway I'm not trying to get into any new programs today. My hair is thin enough as it is and banging my head hurts! bang-head-on-desk.gif

Healing prayers to those who are healing! A shout out to those of you in the line of danger - heard this today - you can always rebuild your business or home but you can't get back your life! Please no stubborn "I'm going down with the ship!"

Gloria in WA where the sun is hiding behind all the clouds and rain gloomy-smiley-emoticon.gif

• Katla49
    Options
    :flowerforyou: