Does anyone else weigh themselves everyday??

Options

Replies

• ekim2016
    ekim2016 Posts: 1,199 Member
    Options
    yes, every morning getting ready for work.. right after my evacuation. haha I like seeing my new weight in huge digital numbers!!! very exciting...
  • mamaomefo
    mamaomefo Posts: 418 Member
    Options
    Yes, I weigh every morning. It helps to think back on what I ate the previous day and see how that relates to the fluctuations on the scale. Keeps me aware of how my eating habits have affected the numbers glaring before me
  • ARGriffy
    ARGriffy Posts: 1,002 Member
    edited November 2016
    Options
    Libra works amazingly for me, totally stopped me freaking out by spot weighing and catching a fluctuation. I find the trend line and info very soothing!
  • JLG1986
    JLG1986 Posts: 211 Member
    Options
    I weigh daily. Every morning it's a habitual part of getting up...right after using the loo and right before brushing my teeth lol.

I notice that a number of people mention weight fluctuations as a reason to NOT weigh daily. I totally respect that everyone needs their own routine, but for me, the number of data points is important to illustrate my loss. Weighing weekly can mask loss (for example, if I weigh 180 on day 1, 178.2 on day 6, 181 on day 7, and 178 on day 8...but I only weighed myself on days 1 and 7, I think I worked hard and gained a pound!!). And yes, my weight can and does fluctuate that much on a regular basis - salt, carbs, a big dinner, or even just a big glass of water will do that!

Try weighing daily for a couple of weeks, then try weighing 1-2 times per week for awhile. Which motivates you more? That's the most important part, in the end.
  • ercarroll311
    ercarroll311 Posts: 295 Member
    Options
    I do! My once/week weighing had issues when I'd put on some water weight and it would kill my positivity. This way, I see the highs and lows, so I know about where I stand.
  • haviegirl
    haviegirl Posts: 230 Member
    Options
    Yep, every day. Helps me spot when I'm trending upward, so I can get back to where I want to be. Note: one upward tic does not constitute a trend. But a week's worth of upward trending needs my attention.
  • sllm1
    sllm1 Posts: 2,114 Member
    edited November 2016
    Options
    Happy Scale is an app that smooths out daily fluctuations and let's you know if you're truly gaining or losing. I love it.

4ddm3yrg4iwc.jpg
    Happy Scale is an app that smooths out daily fluctuations and let's you know if you're truly gaining or losing. I love it.
  • megsCA
    megsCA Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    Agreed with the replies here. Weigh yourself with what works for you!

For me 6AM every morning is my go time. I have the FitBit Aria Scale and so it logs the data for me. From there it syncs into MFP. I can then see how my weight fluctuates based on hydration, sodium intake, monthly hormones, etc.

Works for me!
  • kn7hqq
    kn7hqq Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    Yes I weigh myself every morning at the same time, I want to know if I'm making progress or if I need to do something different today. I am losing more inches than pounds, but won't give up 30 pounds to go.
  • CaladriaNapea
    CaladriaNapea Posts: 140 Member
    Options
    During my first weight loss attempt, back in college, I weighed myself once a week. For the first couple months it went pretty well; I generally lost some weight during each week and I was okay with it. However, once I hit a plateau, my weight started fluctuating pretty heavily on a week-to-week basis; I would lose two pounds, gain three, etc. I began starving myself, the weigh-ins got even worse, and I completely lost all motivation and gave up on the whole process.

Well, four years and forty pounds later, I am trying to kick start the weight loss process again. So far, I have been weighing myself first thing every morning, and it has been going very well. My weight definitely fluctuates generally (at least once a week I gain a pound between weigh-ins), however, I typically lose that pound the next day. As others have pointed out, during my first weight loss experience if I chose the wrong day to weigh-in then it completely killed my motivation. Now, logging my daily weights into MFP, I am able to see the overall trend and keep pushing myself. When I do have days where my weight goes up, I am able to look at my tracking data and try to figure out why, or have the inspiration to do an extra work out.
  • DawnNathan
    DawnNathan Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    I weigh myself daily. At first it was distressing watching the number go up and down but now it has become just a number. I know if I have been eating properly (I track my intake honestly but not obsessively) and I know if I'm keeping my activity level where it should be (again I track honestly and wear a fitbit charge hr). So any fluctuations are just that not a judgement on me as a person. It took awhile to get to this point but I'm happy I did and look at my daily weigh in the same as my daily shower just something I do.
  • brdnw
    brdnw Posts: 565 Member
    Options
    i lost 95lbs and since i started losing weight i weigh myself multiple times a day. It gave me a better sense for how my body weight trended and kept me on track if I ever trended upward.
  • GottaBurnEmAll
    GottaBurnEmAll Posts: 7,722 Member
    Options
    I'm a daily weigher. For me, it's important to face the scale every day because I hid from it for so long as an act of denial. I can't do something so self-defeating again. Knowledge is power. Keeping the truth from myself keeps me from acting in my own best interests.

I grew to understand the reasons for weight fluctuations during my time losing the bulk of my weight. I'm pretty much just futzing around with a few vanity pounds at this point. When I get to whenever I start to maintain, I'll be comfortable with how the trends with my weight go because I'm very familiar with them. I've had spells of maintenance already so far, and experienced an uncomfortable gain and nipped it in the bud.

It's been really important for me personally to come to view the scale as a neutral tool rather than a piece of judgement awaiting me in my bathroom. I realize this won't be everyone else's experience, but this is what works for me.
  • srecupid
    srecupid Posts: 660 Member
    Options
    I need to get a wifi scale and start actually using it. It's just first thing in the morning is hard to pry myself out of bed let alone weigh myself. I have settled for Monday morning as the standard.
  • pedermj2002
    pedermj2002 Posts: 180 Member
    Options
    I check my weight daily to keep myself aware of where I am, but I only log the results twice/month. I have had times where my weight has gone up, and that's helped me to look back and realize when I've made mistakes (not logging and then overeating at a meal, for instance).

But as noted above: Always realize that weight can fluctuate by a few pounds for no visible reason. It's worth giving yourself the ability to look back and see if you can determine a cause, but it's not worth more than a minute or so's thought. If you spend more than that on it, then I would recommend not weighing daily. Focus instead on weighing at further intervals for logging progress.
  • jotrex23
    jotrex23 Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    Yes, I weigh myself every morning before breakfast, just out of curiosity with what I've eaten the day before and exercise I've done. TOM can be a right pain in the butt, as I tend to eat way more carbs or sweet stuff then, but varies. Then back on track. The motivation I keep in my mind is remembering back to how much I hated how I used to look and feel about myself, seeing old photos and the one set of clothes I have purposefully kept as a reminder and LOVING the new me along with the wonderful comments I get from people now, helps alot too!!!
  • HappyGrape
    HappyGrape Posts: 436 Member
    Options
    no, I don't. But I track calories in maintenance so I am certain there is no drama. Sometimes I do it once or twice a week, others daily, others monthly

I would do it daily if I don't track calories, but I don't see a harm of doing what works for you as long as it works for you

• LivingtheLeanDream
    LivingtheLeanDream Posts: 13,345 Member
    Options
    Yep, a daily weigher here too. Its just part of my daily routine.
  • jacksonkris8
    jacksonkris8 Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    Every morning.. before anything touches my mouth
  • srecupid
    srecupid Posts: 660 Member
    Options
    I am now. I like seeing the ups and downs so I don't freak out