What trendy foods do you refuse to purchase?

Options

Replies

• jennybearlv
    jennybearlv Posts: 1,519 Member
    Options
    I didn't know LaCroix was trendy. As a fomer soda junkie, sparkling water has saved my *kitten*. My favorite is still a lime Perrier in a glass bottle, though. That is probably SUPER annoying.

I've also been a sparkling water and club soda drinker for years. Never had LaCroix. I've seen it in stores and thought it was pop. I hope sparkling water is going trendy so I don't get looked at like I'm from outer space every time I order a club soda our tell someone I have a keg in my fridge for sparking water.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    lemurcat12 wrote: »
    Coconut oil, gluten free stuff, matcha tea stuff.

I was wondering if anyone had mentioned coconut oil yet. I keep hearing it is so healthy. What? Since when is saturated fat healthy? If saturated fats are healthy now why not butter, lard, or ghee? That's what is in my pantry and used in moderation. I've never even seen a recipe calling for coconut oil.

Here you go: http://www.nytimes.com/2011/03/02/dining/02Appe.html?pagewanted=all&_r=0

Discussion of the health stuff AND recipes.

So, there is no proof that it's healthy.

Right. It's probably not unhealthy (contrary to what they used to think), but no reason to think it's better than olive oil or has magical health properties. I use it, olive oil, or butter, depending on what works best flavor-wise (and I agree the trendiness is annoying).
  • lemurcat12
    edited November 2016
    Options
    Treece68 wrote: »
    Hornsby wrote: »
    Hornsby wrote: »
    I live in hipsterville. Old Style beer is popular around here. It is gross. I don't get it.

Old Style is in somewhere? Weird. Kind of cool (yeah, it's absolutely terrible), but weird. There's a million old Old Style signs on genuine old dive bars around here still, but I don't think it's trendy even in hipsterville. Too much of a mainstream standby for too long.

And in Oklahoma, I had never seen or heard of it until the last few years. First I saw it on the TV show "Shameless" and just assumed it was one of those prop beers like the cans that just say "BEER" used for the show... Then all of the sudden it started showing it up in the local bars. That and Hamms... Which is also disgusting. PBR has been around here a long time but definitely has had a resurgence as of late.

Old Style is a Chicago (Cubs) thing so... Shameless (US) is in Chicago makes since.

It's a Chicago thing for sure, although their market share has been plummeting since the 80s and isn't particular high here now. They used to outsell Bud and Miller, then just Bud (which had problems in Chicago), and now, not even close (and craft beers are of course more popular than they used to be). I believe you can still buy Old Style at Wrigley, but there was a flap about how the vendors don't sell them in the stands anymore, just A-B products.

Which reminds me, there's an funny old conspiracy theory about how Harry Caray was a secret operative for A-B (told to me, non-seriously, by a guy who worked for G. Heileman back in the day, although I doubt anyone really believes it). Neither Comiskey nor Wrigley used to sell Bud, but after Caray was fired by the Cardinals (or "fired" under the conspiracy theory) and ended up working for the White Sox, Comiskey started selling it. And then after he ended up with the Cubs, the Wrigley did. All a secret A-B plot.

Chicago ballpark beers: http://www.chicagotribune.com/dining/ct-white-sox-beat-cubs-when-it-comes-to-beer-in-2016-20160406-story.html

Also: http://chicago.eater.com/2015/4/3/8338391/where-to-eat-at-wrigley-field-home-of-the-chicago-cubs
  • CooCooPuff
    CooCooPuff Posts: 4,374 Member
    Options
    jadowns wrote: »
    I refuse to buy LA CROIX, as well as acai bowls.
    I bought a can because it was really cheap at a Kroger, disgusting.

• AnvilHead
    AnvilHead Posts: 18,344 Member
    Options
    I didn't know LaCroix was trendy. As a fomer soda junkie, sparkling water has saved my *kitten*. My favorite is still a lime Perrier in a glass bottle, though. That is probably SUPER annoying.

I didn't know it was trendy either. It's been available around here for quite a while. We just bought their peach-pear flavor, it's actually pretty darn good.
  • lemurcat12
    Options
    Peach-pear is my current favorite flavor.

Here's a piece on how it got popular: http://www.vox.com/2016/6/20/11666314/lacroix-sparkling-water-seltzer
  • renae161
    renae161 Posts: 334 Member
    Options
    The new chocolate strawberry yogurt from Greek Gods. It was on sale last night. It was gross.
  • ChelzFit
    ChelzFit Posts: 292 Member
    Options
    Kale, I can't stand it
    Juices (just because I would rather eat my calories than drink them)
  • fishshark
    fishshark Posts: 1,886 Member
    Options

Being from the Pacific Northwest, LaCroix is relatively new. Or maybe I never noticed before, but everybody seems to be drinking it now.

i used to live in portland and never saw it anywhere.. now all my friends who are there drink it everyday. Im pretty much in a never ending trendy food life.. hoping from one trendy city to another ha.
  • mom2colbyj
    mom2colbyj Posts: 119 Member
    Options
    klove808 wrote: »
    Back in the day it was spirulina. Wonder when that ones gonna make a retro-showing.

i remember bee pollen. i kind of miss bee pollen, actually.

I saw bee pollen in the baking aisle at Walmart yesterday. It was with the all the special flours and baking add ins.

On another note, kale is vile.
  • VeganRaptor
    VeganRaptor Posts: 164 Member
    Options

I was wondering if anyone had mentioned coconut oil yet. I keep hearing it is so healthy. What? Since when is saturated fat healthy? If saturated fats are healthy now why not butter, lard, or ghee? That's what is in my pantry and used in moderation. I've never even seen a recipe calling for coconut oil.

Here you go: http://www.nytimes.com/2011/03/02/dining/02Appe.html?pagewanted=all&_r=0

So, there is no proof that it's healthy. I definitely see how the flavor would fit into coconut heavy cuisines like Thai. It might work for baked goods when you want them more sweet than buttery, but it sounds more like the people in the article were using it to eat vegan, not because it was better tasting than butter. The article says movie theaters were using refined hydrogenated coconut oil for popcorn which would give a neutral flavor, so virgin coconut oil would be a poor substitute. I call trendy nonsense on coconut oil.

There is a place for coconut oil, although I do think the health benefits are mostly unsubstantiated. I use it for cooking tempeh bacon in because it gives it a great flavour. It's also great for making your own chocolate!

I know some people use it as a spread by itself... I would never do that, it sounds so gross to me. I just use a vegan butter substitute!

I pretty much use olive oil way more than coconut oil- but I do keep coconut oil around because it's a great vegan solid fat, which can be useful :)
  • fishshark
    fishshark Posts: 1,886 Member
    Options

So, there is no proof that it's healthy. I definitely see how the flavor would fit into coconut heavy cuisines like Thai. It might work for baked goods when you want them more sweet than buttery, but it sounds more like the people in the article were using it to eat vegan, not because it was better tasting than butter. The article says movie theaters were using refined hydrogenated coconut oil for popcorn which would give a neutral flavor, so virgin coconut oil would be a poor substitute. I call trendy nonsense on coconut oil.

There is a place for coconut oil, although I do think the health benefits are mostly unsubstantiated. I use it for cooking tempeh bacon in because it gives it a great flavour. It's also great for making your own chocolate!

I know some people use it as a spread by itself... I would never do that, it sounds so gross to me. I just use a vegan butter substitute!

I pretty much use olive oil way more than coconut oil- but I do keep coconut oil around because it's a great vegan solid fat, which can be useful :)

the smoke point for coconut oil.... and others like ghe, sunflower oil, avocado oil and ect can be used for high heat. Olive oil has a super low smoke point and is better off used raw.
  • jayeless
    jayeless Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    I tend to be wary of any food that suddenly becomes trendy. Even if I do eventually add something to my diet (like chia seeds) it's usually after I did a Google search for something like "good sources of protein/fibre/iron/etc." and crunched the numbers for myself. I use the same technique to add non-trendy foods like lentils :tongue:

One trendy food I DO NOT like, though, is vegetable juices. My boyfriend loves them, but then he'll drink them all day instead of eating and devour five ice creams in a row at night because he's just so hungry. It just seems silly. I'd rather eat my food really.

I also resist café-made smoothies with exotic ingredients like açaí and whatnot that cost like $10 each. I can make my own smoothies, with ingredients that I know what they are! I don't need to pay a premium!

I also hate Starbucks. But so does basically every Australian, so on that one I follow the trend.
  • CooCooPuff
    edited November 2016
    Options
    I use olive oil for my vegetables and have a cheap bottle to use in place of shaving cream, animal fat / butter for dinners, and coconut oil is for the skin

I also have peanut oil.
  • VeganRaptor
    VeganRaptor Posts: 164 Member
    Options
    fishshark wrote: »
    the smoke point for coconut oil.... and others like ghe, sunflower oil, avocado oil and ect can be used for high heat. Olive oil has a super low smoke point and is better off used raw.

That's why I use coconut oil for frying tempeh bacon :) I don't really fry much else.
  • littefish2018
    littefish2018 Posts: 96 Member
    Options
    chickpea water foam. don't make me do it.
  • CooCooPuff
    Options
    Way to go for posting something I've never heard of and sounds "trendy". At first, I was trying to see the point in this, but then the article mentioned it was a decent substitute for vegans.

• canadianlbs
    canadianlbs Posts: 5,199 Member
    Options

wait, what????

• CooCooPuff
    Options

wait, what????
    https://www.wired.com/2016/05/mysteries-chickpea-water-magical-substitute-eggs-no-really/

I was the same way when I read that post.

• AnvilHead
    AnvilHead Posts: 18,344 Member
    Options
    fishshark wrote: »

According to the charts I've seen (such as this one), coconut oil has one of the lowest smoke points of all commonly used oils. Extra-virgin olive oil is in the same neighborhood, but light/refined olive oil has a significantly higher smoke point.