What trendy foods do you refuse to purchase?

Options

Replies

• canadianlbs
    canadianlbs Posts: 5,199 Member
    Options
    Paleo tortillas crazy expensive

similar note, fish tacos. i mean, i'm glad mexican food is suddenly available here, but the fish thing . . . idk where that one came from.

• 1Kristine1
    1Kristine1 Posts: 697 Member
    Options
    Kombucha, gross!
  • traceyroy54
    traceyroy54 Posts: 89 Member
    Options
    I don't think foods are classified as trendy, maybe just labeled different, packaging, people such as hipsters eat these doesn't mean that the are fashionable. Probably been around for years.

• annitaajones
    annitaajones Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I hate dark chocolate for some reason, I just dislike the taste of it.
  • melaniedscott
    melaniedscott Posts: 1,319 Member
    Options
    And eggnog flavored things will be trend very soon...blech.

yeah; really not a good thing.

No...it is! I make eggnog cheesecake. It has a nickname...the cheesecake of doom. But it isn't new...I've been doing that for more than a decade.
  • melaniedscott
    Options
    The chickpea water/aquafaba is really great for making meringues! Some people find it difficult to succeed in making them using it, but I found it was fine- and everyone I served them to actually preferred them to the egg version, surprisingly :)
    I want to experiment with making chocolate mousse using it. It's quite funny because it looks, smells, and tastes so gross before whipping but it ends up pretty delicious!

Most things do, if you add enough sugar.
  • melaniedscott
    edited November 2016
    Options
    stealthq wrote: »

Parsnips, turnips and rutabaga.

Parsnips I get. They aren't my fave but rutabega is lovely, especially in a nice pastie (the kind you eat, not the kind you wear). I used to think I hated turnips...but it turns out not all turnips are created equal. Their flavor changes as they get bigger (big ones don't taste so great) and depending on what is growing nearby. Grow them near onions and they get bitter and nasty.
  • daj150
    daj150 Posts: 815 Member
    Options
    Coconut oil and coconut water. Gluten free. Farro. Also anything advertised as "healthy" that clearly isn't..b/c seriously...wtf marketers!
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Need2Exerc1se Posts: 13,576 Member
    Options
    fishshark wrote: »
    lemurcat12 wrote: »
    Coconut oil, gluten free stuff, matcha tea stuff.

I was wondering if anyone had mentioned coconut oil yet. I keep hearing it is so healthy. What? Since when is saturated fat healthy? If saturated fats are healthy now why not butter, lard, or ghee? That's what is in my pantry and used in moderation. I've never even seen a recipe calling for coconut oil.

Here you go: http://www.nytimes.com/2011/03/02/dining/02Appe.html?pagewanted=all&_r=0

Discussion of the health stuff AND recipes.

So, there is no proof that it's healthy. I definitely see how the flavor would fit into coconut heavy cuisines like Thai. It might work for baked goods when you want them more sweet than buttery, but it sounds more like the people in the article were using it to eat vegan, not because it was better tasting than butter. The article says movie theaters were using refined hydrogenated coconut oil for popcorn which would give a neutral flavor, so virgin coconut oil would be a poor substitute. I call trendy nonsense on coconut oil.

There is a place for coconut oil, although I do think the health benefits are mostly unsubstantiated. I use it for cooking tempeh bacon in because it gives it a great flavour. It's also great for making your own chocolate!

I know some people use it as a spread by itself... I would never do that, it sounds so gross to me. I just use a vegan butter substitute!

I pretty much use olive oil way more than coconut oil- but I do keep coconut oil around because it's a great vegan solid fat, which can be useful :)

the smoke point for coconut oil.... and others like ghe, sunflower oil, avocado oil and ect can be used for high heat. Olive oil has a super low smoke point and is better off used raw.

This is actually a widespread myth. Coconut oil and olive oil have about the same smoke point.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    edited November 2016
    Options
    Paleo tortillas crazy expensive

similar note, fish tacos. i mean, i'm glad mexican food is suddenly available here, but the fish thing . . . idk where that one came from.

Fish tacos are common place in coastal Mexico as well as California. Most Mexican food along coastal Mexico is going to be fish...Mexico is a big country and cuisine actually varies by region just as it does in the States.

Also, likely what you think of tacos (seasoned ground beef, lettuce, cheese in a hard shell) isn't Mexican at all...it's a completely American concoction brought to you by the founder of Taco Bell.

Authentic Mexican tacos look like this...

tacos-al-pastor.jpg

And they use a variety of fillings depending largely on region.
  • LindsNW05
    LindsNW05 Posts: 36 Member
    edited November 2016
    Options
    When I met my husband's family for the first time, mind you, this has been 14 years ago, they drank Kombucha, I tried it and hated it. It taste like fizzy tea that's gone bad. Of course they loved it, because they grew up in a home that ate healthy most of the time, but I just couldn't get into it at all. Every time I tried it, I just wanted to gag.
  • coppolasoke
    coppolasoke Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I don't do quinoa. There's been some debate about the effect it's popularity has had on where it originally came from and I don't fully feel right having it tbh
  • canadianlbs
    Options
    No...it is! I make eggnog cheesecake. It has a nickname...the cheesecake of doom. But it isn't new...I've been doing that for more than a decade.

nononono. how could you do that to cheesecake?

i just hate eggs, ignore me :p

• Karb_Kween
    Karb_Kween Posts: 2,681 Member
    Options
    joans1976 wrote: »
    Quinoa.

This .. I tried that its terrible to try to pass down and swallow
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    Karb_Kween wrote: »
    Quinoa.

This .. I tried that its terrible to try to pass down and swallow

You're doing it wrong...
  • rue19
    rue19 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Quinoa.

As my husband says, "It has the word NO in it for a reason."
  • peaceout_aly
    peaceout_aly Posts: 2,018 Member
    Options
    Chia seeds. Tried it once and it grossed me out

I second this. Never buying them. Refuse.
  • canadianlbs
    Options
    Chia seeds. Tried it once and it grossed me out

I second this. Never buying them. Refuse.

i was briefly fascinated by how much they look like frogspawn once they puff up . . . and then no. not fascinated at all.

• fishshark
    fishshark Posts: 1,886 Member
    Options
    fishshark wrote: »
    lemurcat12 wrote: »
    Coconut oil, gluten free stuff, matcha tea stuff.

I was wondering if anyone had mentioned coconut oil yet. I keep hearing it is so healthy. What? Since when is saturated fat healthy? If saturated fats are healthy now why not butter, lard, or ghee? That's what is in my pantry and used in moderation. I've never even seen a recipe calling for coconut oil.

Here you go: http://www.nytimes.com/2011/03/02/dining/02Appe.html?pagewanted=all&_r=0

Discussion of the health stuff AND recipes.

So, there is no proof that it's healthy. I definitely see how the flavor would fit into coconut heavy cuisines like Thai. It might work for baked goods when you want them more sweet than buttery, but it sounds more like the people in the article were using it to eat vegan, not because it was better tasting than butter. The article says movie theaters were using refined hydrogenated coconut oil for popcorn which would give a neutral flavor, so virgin coconut oil would be a poor substitute. I call trendy nonsense on coconut oil.

There is a place for coconut oil, although I do think the health benefits are mostly unsubstantiated. I use it for cooking tempeh bacon in because it gives it a great flavour. It's also great for making your own chocolate!

I know some people use it as a spread by itself... I would never do that, it sounds so gross to me. I just use a vegan butter substitute!

I pretty much use olive oil way more than coconut oil- but I do keep coconut oil around because it's a great vegan solid fat, which can be useful :)

the smoke point for coconut oil.... and others like ghe, sunflower oil, avocado oil and ect can be used for high heat. Olive oil has a super low smoke point and is better off used raw.

This is actually a widespread myth. Coconut oil and olive oil have about the same smoke point.
    as i mentioned that is not true. It depends on the type.. if its refined or not. The smoke points of both coconut oil and olive oil vary. When getting my masters in nutrition we had a 6 week class on smoke points on toxicities when cooking. pretty simple experiment. take oil to the smoke point and check its temp. my olive oil that i get imported smokes around 245.