What trendy foods do you refuse to purchase?

Options

Replies

• VeganRaptor
    VeganRaptor Posts: 164 Member
    Options
    The chickpea water/aquafaba is really great for making meringues! Some people find it difficult to succeed in making them using it, but I found it was fine- and everyone I served them to actually preferred them to the egg version, surprisingly :)
    I want to experiment with making chocolate mousse using it. It's quite funny because it looks, smells, and tastes so gross before whipping but it ends up pretty delicious!
  • 77cooks14
    77cooks14 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    Seaweed. Can't get past the idea of it!
  • tyshieha
    tyshieha Posts: 76 Member
    Options
    I don't eat frozen foods. I would rather make my own. All the sodium in them are horrible. I will at least try something once. If I don't like it I wont eat it again. If I like it I will continue to eat it.
  • EttaMaeMartin
    EttaMaeMartin Posts: 303 Member
    Options
    Salted caramel has been a popular new flavour in Australia in last year or so.
    Salted caramel ice cream, cookies, chocolates etc

I do not like salted caramel so I haven't bought any of them

i love anything salted caramel. i don't eat to be trendy. i eat what i like!
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    edited November 2016
    Options
    fishshark wrote: »
    the smoke point for coconut oil.... and others like ghe, sunflower oil, avocado oil and ect can be used for high heat. Olive oil has a super low smoke point and is better off used raw.

That's why I use coconut oil for frying tempeh bacon :) I don't really fry much else.

The kinds of coconut oil that are supposed to be healthy have a smoke point similar to EV olive oil: http://www.seriouseats.com/2014/05/cooking-fats-101-whats-a-smoke-point-and-why-does-it-matter.html

More refined coconut oil does have a higher smoke point, but that's what's supposed to be bad for you: http://well.blogs.nytimes.com/2015/12/24/ask-well-is-coconut-oil-a-healthy-fat/?_r=0

I don't know why there's this myth that olive oil and coconut are vastly different for cooking or that coconut oil is good for frying. (I don't fry and only high heat, like in a wok, quite rarely, and use peanut or sesame oil for the latter, if I have them around, as it seems to fit better with Asian food anyway. Olive is fine for medium-heat sauteeing and so on.)

On the idea that olive oil becomes unhealthy at high heat, this is worth a read: http://www.seriouseats.com/2015/03/cooking-with-olive-oil-faq-safety-flavor.html
  • fishshark
    fishshark Posts: 1,886 Member
    edited November 2016
    Options
    AnvilHead wrote: »
    fishshark wrote: »
    lemurcat12 wrote: »
    Coconut oil, gluten free stuff, matcha tea stuff.

I was wondering if anyone had mentioned coconut oil yet. I keep hearing it is so healthy. What? Since when is saturated fat healthy? If saturated fats are healthy now why not butter, lard, or ghee? That's what is in my pantry and used in moderation. I've never even seen a recipe calling for coconut oil.

Here you go: http://www.nytimes.com/2011/03/02/dining/02Appe.html?pagewanted=all&_r=0

Discussion of the health stuff AND recipes.

So, there is no proof that it's healthy. I definitely see how the flavor would fit into coconut heavy cuisines like Thai. It might work for baked goods when you want them more sweet than buttery, but it sounds more like the people in the article were using it to eat vegan, not because it was better tasting than butter. The article says movie theaters were using refined hydrogenated coconut oil for popcorn which would give a neutral flavor, so virgin coconut oil would be a poor substitute. I call trendy nonsense on coconut oil.

There is a place for coconut oil, although I do think the health benefits are mostly unsubstantiated. I use it for cooking tempeh bacon in because it gives it a great flavour. It's also great for making your own chocolate!

I know some people use it as a spread by itself... I would never do that, it sounds so gross to me. I just use a vegan butter substitute!

I pretty much use olive oil way more than coconut oil- but I do keep coconut oil around because it's a great vegan solid fat, which can be useful :)

the smoke point for coconut oil.... and others like ghe, sunflower oil, avocado oil and ect can be used for high heat. Olive oil has a super low smoke point and is better off used raw.

According to the charts I've seen (such as this one), coconut oil has one of the lowest smoke points of all commonly used oils. Extra-virgin olive oil is in the same neighborhood, but light/refined olive oil has a significantly higher smoke point.

high quality real extra virgin olive oil has a smoke point of about 200 degrees 207 to be exct. coconut oil is about 350.

edit it depends on quality.. raw.. refiend ect. My family who lives in italy send me the real stuff which has a smoke point of around 200. Ive tested these smoke points various times in my culinary career. put oil in pan turn it on when it smokes take the temp with a candy thermometer.
  • CooCooPuff
    CooCooPuff Posts: 4,374 Member
    edited November 2016
    Options
    Veggie-Noodle-company-544x400.jpg
    This seems like it applies pretty well. I just saw these at HEB for 4.98.
  • canadianlbs
    canadianlbs Posts: 5,199 Member
    Options
    And eggnog flavored things will be trend very soon...blech.

yeah; really not a good thing.

• hcdo
    hcdo Posts: 201 Member
    edited November 2016
    Options
    I'll admit, sometimes I'll try trendy stuff to see what all the fuss is about, but it's more because I'm curious about taste and not for the "super" food aspect.

My aunt has decided (even after the doc told her she wasn't) that she's gluten intolerant, and I split a gluten-free pizza with her once. I might as well have just eaten cardboard. I have other family members who were touting (and selling) acai berry miracle juice and gave me free samples. Meh. My mental function stayed the same, despite their wild claims. I also had a psychiatrist once try and sell me on a MLM scheme for mangosteen juice. Never went back to him.

I like coconut oil for my putting on my hair after a shower.

Kombucha, I just can't. Same with kefir.
    Alkaline water. Give me a break.
    The relatively recent vitamin D insanity is irritating me, too. Not a food per se, but still not a bandwagon I'm jumping on.
  • klove808
    klove808 Posts: 346 Member
    Options
    Omg! I just saw that there is something in existence that is potato milk! Apparently in Canada so far. Never ok.
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options
    lemurcat12 wrote: »
    Coconut oil, gluten free stuff, matcha tea stuff.

I was wondering if anyone had mentioned coconut oil yet. I keep hearing it is so healthy. What? Since when is saturated fat healthy? If saturated fats are healthy now why not butter, lard, or ghee? That's what is in my pantry and used in moderation. I've never even seen a recipe calling for coconut oil.

Here you go: http://www.nytimes.com/2011/03/02/dining/02Appe.html?pagewanted=all&_r=0

Discussion of the health stuff AND recipes.

So, there is no proof that it's healthy. I definitely see how the flavor would fit into coconut heavy cuisines like Thai. It might work for baked goods when you want them more sweet than buttery, but it sounds more like the people in the article were using it to eat vegan, not because it was better tasting than butter. The article says movie theaters were using refined hydrogenated coconut oil for popcorn which would give a neutral flavor, so virgin coconut oil would be a poor substitute. I call trendy nonsense on coconut oil.

There is a place for coconut oil, although I do think the health benefits are mostly unsubstantiated. I use it for cooking tempeh bacon in because it gives it a great flavour. It's also great for making your own chocolate!

I know some people use it as a spread by itself... I would never do that, it sounds so gross to me. I just use a vegan butter substitute!

I pretty much use olive oil way more than coconut oil- but I do keep coconut oil around because it's a great vegan solid fat, which can be useful :)

Have you ever tried coconut manna? It includes the meat of the coconut, not just the oil. If you like the taste of coconut oil but the thought of using it as a spread grosses you out, it might be worth a try. I think it's delicious on breads.
  • stealthq
    stealthq Posts: 4,298 Member
    edited November 2016
    Options
    Kale. Why buy it unless you like it? Personally, I'd rather have spinach in my salads and it's cheaper.

Quinoa. Tastes fine, but the grains are so small. There's no texture and I don't feel like I ate anything. Pass. Give me pearled barley instead.

Kombucha, kefir, most Greek yogurts and their derivatives, buttermilk. That kind of sour just doesn't work for me unless I'm baking with it. I will bake with Greek yogurt and buttermilk.

Coconut water - I just don't get this stuff. Tastes terrible to me.

Parsnips, turnips and rutabaga. Suddenly they seem to be in most of the 'new and upcoming' restaurants I've been to. Hate them both, they have a sweet-ish, spoiled taste to me. Chefs, do not mix them in with other roasted root veg or in a 'potato' puree and not mention it on the menu. I will send your dish straight back to your kitchen and not lose a second of sleep over spitting out your likely well-prepared food.
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options
    stealthq wrote: »
    Kale. Why buy it unless you like it? Personally, I'd rather have spinach in my salads and it's cheaper.

Quinoa. Tastes fine, but the grains are so small. There's no texture and I don't feel like I ate anything. Pass. Give me pearled barley instead.

Kombucha, kefir, most Greek yogurts and their derivatives, buttermilk. That kind of sour just doesn't work for me unless I'm baking with it. I will bake with Greek yogurt and buttermilk.

Coconut water - I just don't get this stuff. Tastes terrible to me.

Parsnips, turnips and rutabaga. Suddenly they seem to be in most of the 'new and upcoming' restaurants I've been to. Hate them both, they have a sweet-ish, spoiled taste to me. Chefs, do not mix them in with other roasted root veg or in a 'potato' puree and not mention it on the menu. I will send your dish straight back to your kitchen and not lose a second of sleep over spitting out your likely well-prepared food.

Re: parsnips, I'm glad this isn't just me. I have tried them twice now and both times they tasted like a spoiled carrot. Did not enjoy and I can find the upside in almost any food.
  • CooCooPuff
    CooCooPuff Posts: 4,374 Member
    Options
    stealthq wrote: »
    I wish this was my experience. I don't hate kale, but raw spinach is probably my favorite vegetable. Bunches of kale are generally a dollar, 1.57 for spinach.

• angelexperiment
    angelexperiment Posts: 1,917 Member
    Options
    Paleo tortillas crazy expensive
  • 777Gemma888
    777Gemma888 Posts: 9,578 Member
    Options
    Actually saw the mushrooms used in Kombucha tea being fermented in tea. After witnessing how a piece of mushroom, the size of a Quarter (25 cents), takes over the space of the fermentation vessel overnight, but for 1 cup or so of tea - just no.
  • klove808
    klove808 Posts: 346 Member
    Options
    @CooCooPuff Wow kale and spinach are so inexpensive where u r..... It's 4 - 6 bucks a smal bunch where I live. If they cost that here I might be able to get over my dislike of kale.
  • mockorange13
    mockorange13 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    MitsuShai wrote: »
    Chia seeds. Tried it once and it grossed me out

Same here! I knew someone who loved chia seeds, I tried it and got a tummy ache. :neutral:

I liked the texture of chia pudding but I got extremely bloated, gassy and was generally very uncomfortable.