What trendy foods do you refuse to purchase?

Options

Replies

• synchkat
    synchkat Posts: 37,369 Member
    Options
    kale. it's not my cup of tea

chia seeds too I got some and tried them and think I have a sensitivity
  • melaniedscott
    melaniedscott Posts: 1,319 Member
    Options
    No...it is! I make eggnog cheesecake. It has a nickname...the cheesecake of doom. But it isn't new...I've been doing that for more than a decade.

nononono. how could you do that to cheesecake?

i just hate eggs, ignore me :p

You know...the base recipe for cheesecake is 8 oz cream cheese, 1 egg, 1/4 c sugar, vanilla....multiplied by 4 or 5, depending on type, size of pan, etc...adding random other ingredients, ya know, like chocolate & sour cream...but most (I can't say all, but I've never seen one w/o) recipes have eggs.

Eggnog cheesecake just has added heavy cream, extra yolks, some holiday spices and maybe rum (?)...with a gingersnap crust. It is pretty ridiculous.
  • Karb_Kween
    Karb_Kween Posts: 2,681 Member
    Options
    synchkat wrote: »
    kale. it's not my cup of tea

chia seeds too I got some and tried them and think I have a sensitivity

Maybe you didn't cook it right?
  • canadianlbs
    canadianlbs Posts: 5,199 Member
    Options
    You know...the base recipe for cheesecake is 8 oz cream cheese, 1 egg, 1/4 c sugar, vanilla....

lol true. i should have clarified that i don't MIND eggs, just so long as they don't let me know they're in there. eggnog though. eggnog announces its egginess. bllllch.
  • stealthq
    stealthq Posts: 4,298 Member
    edited November 2016
    Options
    Paleo tortillas crazy expensive

similar note, fish tacos. i mean, i'm glad mexican food is suddenly available here, but the fish thing . . . idk where that one came from.

People will put anything in a taco. Like sandwiches.

But in actuality, seafood tacos are Mexican, too. Especially in the coastal areas. One of my favorites (if cooked properly) is tacos el pulpo.

I think it's a shame that the Mexican food in much of the US and the few areas of Canada I've visited isn't closer to authentic - I usually prefer it that way.
  • AngryViking1970
    AngryViking1970 Posts: 2,847 Member
    Options
    Chia seeds. Tried it once and it grossed me out

I second this. Never buying them. Refuse.

Yeah. Why would I want to eat boogers?
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Need2Exerc1se Posts: 13,576 Member
    Options
    fishshark wrote: »
    lemurcat12 wrote: »
    Coconut oil, gluten free stuff, matcha tea stuff.

I was wondering if anyone had mentioned coconut oil yet. I keep hearing it is so healthy. What? Since when is saturated fat healthy? If saturated fats are healthy now why not butter, lard, or ghee? That's what is in my pantry and used in moderation. I've never even seen a recipe calling for coconut oil.

Here you go: http://www.nytimes.com/2011/03/02/dining/02Appe.html?pagewanted=all&_r=0

Discussion of the health stuff AND recipes.

So, there is no proof that it's healthy. I definitely see how the flavor would fit into coconut heavy cuisines like Thai. It might work for baked goods when you want them more sweet than buttery, but it sounds more like the people in the article were using it to eat vegan, not because it was better tasting than butter. The article says movie theaters were using refined hydrogenated coconut oil for popcorn which would give a neutral flavor, so virgin coconut oil would be a poor substitute. I call trendy nonsense on coconut oil.

There is a place for coconut oil, although I do think the health benefits are mostly unsubstantiated. I use it for cooking tempeh bacon in because it gives it a great flavour. It's also great for making your own chocolate!

I know some people use it as a spread by itself... I would never do that, it sounds so gross to me. I just use a vegan butter substitute!

I pretty much use olive oil way more than coconut oil- but I do keep coconut oil around because it's a great vegan solid fat, which can be useful :)

the smoke point for coconut oil.... and others like ghe, sunflower oil, avocado oil and ect can be used for high heat. Olive oil has a super low smoke point and is better off used raw.

This is actually a widespread myth. Coconut oil and olive oil have about the same smoke point.
    as i mentioned that is not true. It depends on the type.. if its refined or not. The smoke points of both coconut oil and olive oil vary. When getting my masters in nutrition we had a 6 week class on smoke points on toxicities when cooking. pretty simple experiment. take oil to the smoke point and check its temp. my olive oil that i get imported smokes around 245.

But the myth isn't about a specific olive oil. In general, extra virgin coconut oil and extra virgin olive oil have similar smoke points. If you want a higher smoke point you'll do better with canola or peanut oil.
  • canadianlbs
    Options
    stealthq wrote: »

heh. i pictured a sandwich inside a taco and went 'no'.

nothing odd about them being available but their weird popularity here is the thing. it's like everyone assuming you love their dog; everyone assumes you want the fish in your tacos right now.
  • Karb_Kween
    Karb_Kween Posts: 2,681 Member
    Options
    I never had a fish taco but I had shrimp quesadilla once

I like shrimp anything
  • fishshark
    fishshark Posts: 1,886 Member
    edited November 2016
    Options

I was wondering if anyone had mentioned coconut oil yet. I keep hearing it is so healthy. What? Since when is saturated fat healthy? If saturated fats are healthy now why not butter, lard, or ghee? That's what is in my pantry and used in moderation. I've never even seen a recipe calling for coconut oil.

Here you go: http://www.nytimes.com/2011/03/02/dining/02Appe.html?pagewanted=all&_r=0

So, there is no proof that it's healthy. I definitely see how the flavor would fit into coconut heavy cuisines like Thai. It might work for baked goods when you want them more sweet than buttery, but it sounds more like the people in the article were using it to eat vegan, not because it was better tasting than butter. The article says movie theaters were using refined hydrogenated coconut oil for popcorn which would give a neutral flavor, so virgin coconut oil would be a poor substitute. I call trendy nonsense on coconut oil.

There is a place for coconut oil, although I do think the health benefits are mostly unsubstantiated. I use it for cooking tempeh bacon in because it gives it a great flavour. It's also great for making your own chocolate!

I know some people use it as a spread by itself... I would never do that, it sounds so gross to me. I just use a vegan butter substitute!

I pretty much use olive oil way more than coconut oil- but I do keep coconut oil around because it's a great vegan solid fat, which can be useful :)

the smoke point for coconut oil.... and others like ghe, sunflower oil, avocado oil and ect can be used for high heat. Olive oil has a super low smoke point and is better off used raw.

This is actually a widespread myth. Coconut oil and olive oil have about the same smoke point.
    as i mentioned that is not true. It depends on the type.. if its refined or not. The smoke points of both coconut oil and olive oil vary. When getting my masters in nutrition we had a 6 week class on smoke points on toxicities when cooking. pretty simple experiment. take oil to the smoke point and check its temp. my olive oil that i get imported smokes around 245.

But the myth isn't about a specific olive oil. In general, extra virgin coconut oil and extra virgin olive oil have similar smoke points. If you want a higher smoke point you'll do better with canola or peanut oil.

i understand the point you are making but what i am saying as i have done the research and the experiments not just read about it online, is the vast majority of olive oils on the shelf have a very low smoke point regardless of what google says.

edit- im not saying that olive oils dont have high smoke point.. what im saying is it does depend on the brand and refinment process. So for ME i choose to just never cook with it. personal choice. i also dont ever use canola oil and havent in over 10 years. I use ghee and sunflower oil. its personal preference i have tskin all oils past the smoke point and am still alive.

high quality extra virgin olive oil has a smoke point of around 207. light refined low quality has a smoke point of around 340-430. these are facts and will never change regardless of opinion. not easy to tell which one you are buying. i will trust my 10 years of school.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    edited November 2016
    Options
    The discussion isn't so much about EVOO's smoke point, but the comparison of EVOO and EVCO and consistent claims that the latter is so much better for high heat cooking. That's not so.

One reason is when you look at WHY smoke point varies: http://www.seriouseats.com/2014/05/cooking-fats-101-whats-a-smoke-point-and-why-does-it-matter.html

"Traditionally, oils are extracted from nuts and seeds through mechanical crushing and pressing. If bottled immediately thereafter, you've got a cold-pressed raw, or "virgin" oil, which tends to retain its natural flavor and color. Many unrefined oils are packed with minerals, enzymes, and other compounds that don't play well with heat and tend to be especially susceptible to rancidity; these are the oils best-suited to drizzling, dressings, and lower temperature cooking.

To produce an oil with a high smoke point, manufacturers use industrial-level refinement processes like bleaching, filtering, and high-temperature heating to extract and eliminate those extraneous compounds. What you're left with is a neutral-flavored oil with a longer shelf life and a higher smoke point."

So why wouldn't this apply to coconut oil too? The fact is it does. Extra virgin coconut oil (which is the stuff that might be good for you, or neutral/not that bad for you if you don't buy the hype) doesn't have a particularly high smoke point. The kind of coconut oil that does is the highly refined stuff that is the old stuff people said wasn't great for you (and probably is not, although it probably doesn't matter much).

As for cooking with EVOO, here's an article by Daniel Gritzer, who seems to have a decent amount of experience with fine dining style cooking and with olive oil, so I am going to not worry about it: http://www.seriouseats.com/2015/03/cooking-with-olive-oil-faq-safety-flavor.html.

Then again, I don't use my really good olive oil for cooking because it's expensive and I want to use it in applications where it matters more. (And I mainly use small amounts from a spritzer when cooking anyway.)

I find the discussion interesting because I bought into the never cook with oil olive thing for a while too (I did anyway, but felt kind of guilty about it), until Needs2 got me to look into it.

Granted, they are all biased, but this local seller of high quality EVOOs: http://www.oldtownoil.com/faq and the http://www.internationaloliveoil.org/ and the California version: https://www.cooc.com/ all use the higher smoke point and claim that EVOO is fine for most cooking.

Yeah, maybe they are all talking just about poor quality oils, but I doubt it.
  • RachelElser
    RachelElser Posts: 1,049 Member
    Options
    cwolfman13 wrote: »
    Paleo tortillas crazy expensive

similar note, fish tacos. i mean, i'm glad mexican food is suddenly available here, but the fish thing . . . idk where that one came from.

Fish tacos are common place in coastal Mexico as well as California. Most Mexican food along coastal Mexico is going to be fish...Mexico is a big country and cuisine actually varies by region just as it does in the States.

Also, likely what you think of tacos (seasoned ground beef, lettuce, cheese in a hard shell) isn't Mexican at all...it's a completely American concoction brought to you by the founder of Taco Bell.

Authentic Mexican tacos look like this...

tacos-al-pastor.jpg

And they use a variety of fillings depending largely on region.

those look delicious! Anyone read this blog? She has a thing about fish tacos

http://hyperboleandahalf.blogspot.com/2010/03/how-fish-almost-destroyed-my-childhood.html
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Need2Exerc1se Posts: 13,576 Member
    Options

i understand the point you are making but what i am saying as i have done the research and the experiments not just read about it online, is the vast majority of olive oils on the shelf have a very low smoke point regardless of what google says.

edit- im not saying that olive oils dont have high smoke point.. what im saying is it does depend on the brand and refinment process. So for ME i choose to just never cook with it. personal choice. i also dont ever use canola oil and havent in over 10 years. I use ghee and sunflower oil. its personal preference i have tskin all oils past the smoke point and am still alive.

high quality extra virgin olive oil has a smoke point of around 207. light refined low quality has a smoke point of around 340-430. these are facts and will never change regardless of opinion. not easy to tell which one you are buying. i will trust my 10 years of school.

Sure, sure. Those charts are probably just made up data. I doubt anyone else has ever tested it.
  • stealthq
    stealthq Posts: 4,298 Member
    Options

heh. i pictured a sandwich inside a taco and went 'no'.

nothing odd about them being available but their weird popularity here is the thing. it's like everyone assuming you love their dog; everyone assumes you want the fish in your tacos right now.

*snort*

Have you seen the tacos using a sandwich as the tortilla? Seems ridiculous to me, but some people seem to like it :tongue:
  • canadianlbs
    Options
    Have you seen the tacos using a sandwich as the tortilla?

i've been spared that \o/

• ARGriffy
    ARGriffy Posts: 1,002 Member
    Options
    I do not care for courgetti. Courgette, yes. Courgettei for 5x the price, no. Just no.
  • klove808
    klove808 Posts: 346 Member
    Options
    Tacos!!! The blessed food of earth, ...... But just not with kale.
  • Bentnotbroken130
    Bentnotbroken130 Posts: 28 Member
    edited November 2016
    Options
    for people with real sensitivities or allergies it must be really irritating to see something that's a necessity them appropriated and hyped by dilettantes who are just looking for a few extra ways to make their so-precious selves even more better-er than they already think they are.

I have a malabsorption disorder. So, I have to be on a strict diet. It's challenging enough. So, I don't waste my time getting upset about this concept. How do I know if people have a medical condition or not? How do people know if I do? I get more annoyed by people that can eat whatever they want complaining about other people's food related medical issues. Though I try to ignore it. People complain because they think things aren't a medical condition. Like they require medical details and doctor confirmation. And they think they know all the medical conditions out there, but I didn't know until it happened to me, there's a lot that doctors don't even know (if they knew everything then everything would be so simple and easy with cures and stuff), but bodies sometimes have complex issues. Then they complain that someone explained the medical issues. If they weren't so concerned about confirmation then no one would tell them the medical issues. No one wants to share that. I just think people should have fun, enjoy life, enjoy food, be happy, be grateful, and not worry about the details of other people's food related medical issues. On the bright side I am doing so much better since we realized what I was malabsorbing and how that was causing my medical problems. And how to manage it.

But, before I developed this malabsorption disorder my motto was that I would pretty much try anything once. Now, I focus on a non-food related social life

Can I ask what your diet includes? I'm dealing with the same thing but wasn't given any advice just the diagnosis.
  • PoundChaser2
    PoundChaser2 Posts: 241 Member
    Options
    Lentil chips....Yucky