What trendy foods do you refuse to purchase?

Options
1192021222325»

Replies

• salemnye
    salemnye Posts: 305 Member
    Options
    Meat.

I'm a vegetarian so some of the "trendy" foods like hummus I eat for the protein content. I like a lot of foods. If it is "trendy" I'll buy it to see if I like it. If I do then I buy it again, and if I don't, then I don't purchase it again.
  • salemnye
    salemnye Posts: 305 Member
    Options
    SaraMA1 wrote: »
    That Jack Fruit stuff.. I'm scared . but being vegan I kind of miss the occasional BBQ.

I legit made BBQ Jackfruit last week and it was AMAZING!!! I loved it. You need to get the young green jackfruit in brine or water (rinse for brine). I highly recommend it :)
  • Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    Options
    Even though I secretly do want to try it, Halo Top is $6.99 a pint at my local grocery store! That is insane!! I just can't justify it

I wish. It's $12 here!

• Savagedistraction
    Savagedistraction Posts: 312 Member
    Options
    The "90%" pure dark chocolate. Tastes like bitter greasy chalk. I get if you want chocolate and can't have dairy sure, settle with dark chocolate, but people are lying when they say they actually prefer bitter dark to a good creamy milk chocolate. Theyre so full of crap.
  • hollyrayburn
    hollyrayburn Posts: 905 Member
    Options
    JoyMaillet wrote: »
    The "90%" pure dark chocolate. Tastes like bitter greasy chalk. I get if you want chocolate and can't have dairy sure, settle with dark chocolate, but people are lying when they say they actually prefer bitter dark to a good creamy milk chocolate. Theyre so full of crap.

I really do like dark chocolate better, even did as a child.

If we all liked the same things though, the world would be a boring place!
  • monicapiazza
    monicapiazza Posts: 92 Member
    Options
    Hornsby wrote: »
    Powdered peanut butter

Same!
  • amusedmonkey
    amusedmonkey Posts: 10,330 Member
    Options

I really do like dark chocolate better, even did as a child.

If we all liked the same things though, the world would be a boring place!

Yep, same here. Except I don't like it "better", it's just an entirely different thing to me. I like milk chocolate for some uses and dark chocolate for others. For simple nibbling, it depends on my mood. Dark chocolate is more indulgent and the flavor lasts longer and lingers, so I am able to enjoy it in small bites letting it slowly melt. I especially love it with black coffee. Shame I don't opt for the dark variety as often because of the price.

I also like hummus, I grew up eating it. It's the last thing I would call "trendy". It's actually considered a "poor man's food". Same with Greek style yogurt.

I don't mind powdered peanut butter either and I prefer it for some uses over regular because it doesn't clump up like the real thing.

I liked riced cauliflower because, well, I like cauliflower. They don't sell it riced though, but I did it myself. I haven't had it since, though, because it's a bit of a hassle compared to just breaking apart florets. If someone who isn't as lazy does it for me, I will happily eat it again.

I like quinoa, chia seeds, kombucha, tofu, kale, seitan and the whole lot. I guess I'm just not a picky eater. Trendiness is not the deciding factor for me. More often than not it's the price for the value. I mean buying tofu once to try it was fine, but I can't justify buying it again when a tiny jar with barely 100 grams of tofu costs nearly 10 US dollars. It's just not worth paying a dollar per bite. Chia seeds are relatively expensive, but the package provides me with enough servings to justify the purchase.
  • azulvioleta6
    azulvioleta6 Posts: 4,196 Member
    edited January 2017
    Options
    girlgroves wrote: »
    zoodles? squashetti? What?!

I've never really understood the zoodles thing. I suppose it's promoted by the people selling spiralizers. Zucchini and spaghetti squash taste so similar and spaghetti squash is already noodle shaped. Why not just eat the spaghetti squash?

Because zucchini is more readily available year-round. It's also easier to grow.

They don't taste the same at all to me...

I use a $7 julienne slicer instead of a spiralizer. I can certainly make noodles and clean the tool in less than 5 minutes.
  • TrailRunn3r82
    TrailRunn3r82 Posts: 126 Member
    Options
    Coffee
  • GottaBurnEmAll
    GottaBurnEmAll Posts: 7,722 Member
    Options

I can assure you, I'm not lying or full of crap. I embrace the bitter. I love the bitter. That milk chocolate tastes like baby food to me.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options

I can assure you, I'm not lying or full of crap. I embrace the bitter. I love the bitter. That milk chocolate tastes like baby food to me.

Agreed. I like both, but prefer the dark. But I like things described as "bitter" anyway. I think that's one taste that people differ a lot on.