Obesity. Are you just lazy and dumb?

Options

Replies

• SideSteel
    SideSteel Posts: 11,068 Member
    edited October 2016
    Options
    Simply Amazing Post. My old trainer used to say to me if "fat women" cared as much about their bodies as they do about their false nails and manicures, they wouldn't be fat any longer. I informed him that having their nails done - whether you like fake nails or not - was something that they could control. And it made them feel good.

This post really was fabulous - thank-you so much! - Big Hug from Toronto!

They can also control their weight, if they bothered to try. Your point made no sense.
    It was a point that made a lot of sense, it just missed the mark a little bit, and that little bit is important.
    I think the ability to manage weight depends on whether the person believes that their food intake - and subsequently their weight - is something they can control, and that their food choices makes them feel good.

This would absolutely be a helpful belief as far as taking ownership but this belief by itself is not enough for someone to successfully manage their weight.
  • kommodevaran
    kommodevaran Posts: 17,890 Member
    Options
    SideSteel wrote: »
    Simply Amazing Post. My old trainer used to say to me if "fat women" cared as much about their bodies as they do about their false nails and manicures, they wouldn't be fat any longer. I informed him that having their nails done - whether you like fake nails or not - was something that they could control. And it made them feel good.

They can also control their weight, if they bothered to try. Your point made no sense.
    It was a point that made a lot of sense, it just missed the mark a little bit, and that little bit is important.
    I think the ability to manage weight depends on whether the person believes that their food intake - and subsequently their weight - is something they can control, and that their food choices makes them feel good.

This would absolutely be a helpful belief as far as taking ownership but this belief by itself is not enough for someone to successfully manage their weight.
    Plus a little bit of knowledge, that I think everybody older than eight years, has.
  • SideSteel
    Options

Plus a little bit of knowledge, that I think everybody older than eight years, has.

Diet adherence is not as simple as believing in yourself and not being dumber than an eight year old.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options

I think this is a huge part of it, yes. I know realizing that was extremely important for me.
  • Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    Options

Diet adherence is not as simple as believing in yourself and not being dumber than an eight year old.

Yeah if only we could bottle what makes someone adhere to a plan at one stage in their life, what a money-spinner that will be

Adherence is so personal, so subjective, so dependent on so many factors in ones life coming together to bolster willpower

I know that for 30 years I was able to follow various diet plans, and/or fitness plans. I know it wasn't until I hit 47 that it ever stuck for longer than a year ..I do not believe that is because I just went CICO and found a trainer / way of exercising that suits me ...I think there were a myriad of others factors in my life coming together at that point and I'm fairly self-analytical and still couldn't tell you why now and why not before ...I have had stronger reasons and motivations before including planned pregnancy, lots of time on my hands, serious health issues etc ...but something clicked into place and I put my effort into not letting it unclick and I still do

Maybe weight control and fitness is down to dumb luck in the end

But it has to start somewhere
  • leanjogreen18
    leanjogreen18 Posts: 2,492 Member
    Options

In all my years yoyo dieting losing and gaining I never got a grasp on maintaining. I feel like I was the dumbest person on the planet. Im not sure if I skipped that chapter or what?
  • lemurcat12
    Options
    johunt615 wrote: »

In all my years yoyo dieting losing and gaining I never got a grasp on maintaining. I feel like I was the dumbest person on the planet. Im not sure if I skipped that chapter or what?

I find maintaining harder too. I think it's because I need to be mindful, and that's easy when I'm into focusing on fitness, but becomes easier to slide out of once it's not my main focus, even if I found it fun and satisfying when it was. I need to find a reason to focus and be mindful even when not losing (when there's not that bonus to make it fun). This is actually why focusing on training for things or recomp likely can be helpful, I dunno -- it's what I've been trying anyway.
  • SideSteel
    Options
    Sued0nim wrote: »

Yeah if only we could bottle what makes someone adhere to a plan at one stage in their life, what a money-spinner that will be

Adherence is so personal, so subjective, so dependent on so many factors in ones life coming together to bolster willpower

I know that for 30 years I was able to follow various diet plans, and/or fitness plans. I know it wasn't until I hit 47 that it ever stuck for longer than a year ..I do not believe that is because I just went CICO and found a trainer / way of exercising that suits me ...I think there were a myriad of others factors in my life coming together at that point and I'm fairly self-analytical and still couldn't tell you why now and why not before ...I have had stronger reasons and motivations before including planned pregnancy, lots of time on my hands, serious health issues etc ...but something clicked into place and I put my effort into not letting it unclick and I still do

It does, and it has to start with a reason to do it in the first place along with personal responsibility and taking ownership.

But these things don't by themselves necessarily cause someone to be able to adhere to diet or training.

And assuming they do (not saying you're making this assumption by the way) implies that people who can't adhere either don't care, or just make excuses, or are dumb.

And while SOME people do make excuses, or are lazy, or don't get it, it's ignorant and mean to assume it's this way with all people.

And that's one of the main points of my thread.

• SideSteel
    Options
    lemurcat12 wrote: »

I find maintaining harder too. I think it's because I need to be mindful, and that's easy when I'm into focusing on fitness, but becomes easier to slide out of once it's not my main focus, even if I found it fun and satisfying when it was. I need to find a reason to focus and be mindful even when not losing (when there's not that bonus to make it fun). This is actually why focusing on training for things or recomp likely can be helpful, I dunno -- it's what I've been trying anyway.

In my opinion one main reason maintenance is seemingly harder is that it doesn't have a theoretical end date for most people.

Another major reason is that maintaining weight tends to provide fewer positive feedback loops that can provide motivation.

The majority of body composition and weight metrics (in fact basically all
    of them--weight, measurements, appearance, clothing, photographs, body fat percentage) either stop changing or the changes slow to a crawl and so you don't receive behavior reinforcing feedback that you'd get while successfully dieting.

Which is also why performance based metrics can become quite useful.

There are likely plenty of other reasons too like physiological stuff that comes with maintaining weight loss/etc
  • kommodevaran
    kommodevaran Posts: 17,890 Member
    Options

Being young and/or ignorant is not the same as being dumb, but having all the necessary information without being able to connect the dots, is sort of the definition of "dumb".
  • GottaBurnEmAll
    GottaBurnEmAll Posts: 7,722 Member
    edited October 2016
    Options

This is definitely a huge part of it, yes, but I think tragedies can happen that derail even the most dedicated to the issue of personal accountability and control. I've seen this with several people I know. Old habits of comfort/stress eating are very easy to fall back into when you encounter some real difficulties.

There but for the grace...

Again, this is about judging without knowing. It's still about priorities. Sometimes in life, certain things take a back seat.
  • GottaBurnEmAll
    Options

This is why I'm finding it hard to transition into maintenance. I need goals.
  • GottaBurnEmAll
    Options

In my opinion one main reason maintenance is seemingly harder is that it doesn't have a theoretical end date for most people.

Another major reason is that maintaining weight tends to provide fewer positive feedback loops that can provide motivation.

The majority of body composition and weight metrics (in fact basically all
    of them--weight, measurements, appearance, clothing, photographs, body fat percentage) either stop changing or the changes slow to a crawl and so you don't receive behavior reinforcing feedback that you'd get while successfully dieting.

Which is also why performance based metrics can become quite useful.

There are likely plenty of other reasons too like physiological stuff that comes with maintaining weight loss/etc

Oddly, this post sort of convinced me to pick up knitting again. I might master a lace shawl. I think in some ways we tend to get tunnel vision at some point with this whole weight/fitness thing and become myopic.

I have the habit thing dialied in. I think it's time to branch out and start getting that positive feedback loop buzz from some other pursuits.
  • leanjogreen18
    leanjogreen18 Posts: 2,492 Member
    Options

Being young and/or ignorant is not the same as being dumb, but having all the necessary information without being able to connect the dots, is sort of the definition of "dumb".

I think this is what I was trying to say earlier I didn't know HOW to maintain weight loss. I only knew that I needed to not eat so much, but I didn't know how much less. I feel dumb now that I understand this. Perhaps with the internet and food diary apps, the knowledge is getting out there more. The emphasis seemed to always be on losing weight and fast not how to keep it off.
  • snickerscharlie
    snickerscharlie Posts: 8,578 Member
    Options

Don't think you skipped it as much as there simply *wasn't* a chapter to have skipped. ;)

And this is the crux of the issue surrounding most 'diet' plans, imo. They have a beginning and an end, and anyone following the specific food restrictions to the letter while following the diet *will* lose the weight.

But then what? Restrictive diets teach nothing about what happens next. You've reached your weight goal and so the diet was obviously a roaring success. Yay, you! But having learned nothing about life after dieting, once you return to a more normal way of eating, the pounds creep back and the cycle starts anew.

I've lost 75 lbs without "dieting."

I lost them by learning about CICO. Learning precisely what different foods I love 'cost' me in terms of calories, and moderating - not eliminating - those foods in favour of less calorically dense ones. And the lessons I've learned will stand me in good stead in the future - whether I'm planning to continue dropping a few vanity pounds or maintaining my current weight - simply because it is knowledge I can employ to my favour for the rest of my life.

So it's really all about educating yourself.
  • lemurcat12
    Options

This was the big one for me, which is why I'm hoping that focusing on things like training and recomp can help.

So far, though, I tend to do better when fitness is a really significant part of my life, a main thing I'm focusing on. I'm not as good at staying mindful when it's just something I do (like brushing my teeth or paying my bills). I'd like to change that, as it's not always feasible I will be really focused on it. It's not the end-point thing, as I never thought of my losing weight as a temporary change.
  • SideSteel
    Options

This was the big one for me, which is why I'm hoping that focusing on things like training and recomp can help.

So far, though, I tend to do better when fitness is a really significant part of my life, a main thing I'm focusing on. I'm not as good at staying mindful when it's just something I do (like brushing my teeth or paying my bills). I'd like to change that, as it's not always feasible I will be really focused on it. It's not the end-point thing, as I never thought of my losing weight as a temporary change.

I think programming for (specifically) and focusing on performance metrics is the way to go for a lot of people.

It's one of the reasons that my powerlifting clients tend to eventually have better diet adherence in my opinion.

That's not me saying you have to powerlift :)
  • lemurcat12
    Options
    Sued0nim wrote: »

It does, and it has to start with a reason to do it in the first place along with personal responsibility and taking ownership.

But these things don't by themselves necessarily cause someone to be able to adhere to diet or training.

And assuming they do (not saying you're making this assumption by the way) implies that people who can't adhere either don't care, or just make excuses, or are dumb.

I don't agree with this, which is why I used myself as an example.

For example, I think it's possible to care in a general sense (of course I don't want to be overweight) but if given a particular tradeoff (you have to think about what you eat always to be thin or (as some believe) you can't ever eat your favorite foods again to be thin) people will genuinely CHOOSE not losing weight. They don't care about being thin to the extent of making those tradeoffs (or many others). It's not a socially-acceptable position to take, so it may be something they won't admit even to themselves or feel bad about or what to change -- I WANT to be someone who wouldn't find it hard to give up all my favorite foods is, I think, at the root of many fad diet promises (juice for 2 weeks and you won't care about chocolate).

More significantly still, I think it's possible to care in general but not in a specific moment -- longterm vs. shortterm. For example, one thing I struggled with in getting started again was that I cared about getting thinner, but once I realized it was going to take a year to get to goal, did it matter whether I started today or tomorrow? What's 365 vs. 366 days? Easy to keep doing that forever. It was necessary to come up with concrete reasons why I wanted to start losing weight NOW (it was easier to do this by focusing on getting healthier, feeling better, stuff like that, but for people like me who really felt fine, it is more difficult) and also specifics besides wanting to be thinner (or 120) -- I want to wear this outfit or do this bike trip or (if it's an issue) play with my kids in this way, or reduce cholesterol, etc. Specifics that you can place against a decision to eat something vs. one more day.

This is actually why logging worked for me -- eating something was a tradeoff against eating something else and plus there's a built-in reward for just logging and staying on plan for one day, internally for me anyway.

I definitely think one can lack these kinds of affirmative reasons to care about a specific eating or exercise decision (vs. all the tradeoffs) without being someone who generally doesn't care (which I get you see as a negative) or is lazy or dumb.

I'd still call it not caring enough or not being there yet, as I think it's an internal process that leads to the kind of caring that I think is necessary to overcome the long-term vs. short-term problem.
  • lemurcat12
    Options

I think programming for (specifically) and focusing on performance metrics is the way to go for a lot of people.

It's one of the reasons that my powerlifting clients tend to eventually have better diet adherence in my opinion.

That's not me saying you have to powerlift :)

;-)

I actually have been thinking for a bit that powerlifting might be really helpful for me. I'm going to start taking a progressive strength training program more seriously once this upcoming race is over after Thanksgiving, I think.