WOMEN AGES 50+ FOR NOVEMBER 2016

Options

Replies

• GloworminWA
    GloworminWA Posts: 704 Member
    Options
    Ok this is the 3rd time I've tried to send this and I keep Xing out. I'm sharing this egg recipe as I know a lot of use them for added protein or to ward off hunger. https://food52.com/recipes/35930-momofuku-s-soy-sauce-eggs
  • suebdew
    suebdew Posts: 1,330 Member
    Options
    Been catching up for a few hours. Had a busy weekend with DGD's birthday and DGS's school play.
    Barbie_ our book club read "The Boys in the Boat". I found it fascinating since I knew nothing about rowing.
    Lisa- so glad your sale went better than expected. Congrats on your good news about the VA. My DH served 24 years and was in Vietnam Nam. He still resents how they were treated when they came home.
    Have any of you ever had the fruit cakes from Collin Street Bakery? They are awesome. Our Christmas will be very different this year as we will spend it at DisneyWorld with most of our family. No gifts, just drawing names for stocking stuffers.
    Oh, I wanted to recommend, "The Light Between Oceans". Great book.
    See ya'll tomorrow.
    SueBDew in TX
  • janetr7476
    janetr7476 Posts: 4,001 Member
    Options
    gatasha30 wrote: »
    Hello, my name is Valerie and I had a sleeve done to my stomach to lose the weight I so desperately need to lose, I've been diabetic for about ten years gained up to 270 from holding out all my younger years of 170. But the insulin won and made me slowly creep up in weight and it has been tough to lose. So I had bariatric surgery two weeks ago. And I have lost about 32 pounds since going the prep fir this surgery as well including losing ten pounds since surgery. Next week I actually get to start eating soft foods yeah.

Welcome, you've come to the right place for great support and encouragement. Several of us have had weight loss surgery so we know what you are facing. I had gastric bypss almost three years ago (December 18, 2013). I lost 125 pounds very quckly. One year later I had my right knee replaced and then 8 months later left knee replacement. My weight began creeping up a pound here a pound there. When it got up to 10 pounds I said no way this is it and found this group. Next to having the surgery this is the best thing I've done for myself in my way to eating and staying healthy. You can do this.

Janetr okc
  • jmkmomm
    jmkmomm Posts: 3,247 Member
    Options
    Becca, I wish my husband would believe he is a veteran. He served during the Vietnam War but was never overseas. He served as a medic here in the states. He said he isn't a veteran because he never saw any active duty. But he singed up himself, was willing to serve, just lucked out that he was never in active duty. But he never partakes in any thing veteran wise, never wants to stand if they are honoring Navy, doesn't understand why I stand in his behalf.

Heather, when Charlie and I make anything, I am the brains and Charlie is the brawn. He buys a box that will have a cabinet, etc in it, expects to take it home empty it all on the floor and put it together. There are directions for a reason. I separate everything, make sure everything is there and just ask him to lift things for me. I put it together and he tightens. That's the way we do it. well, did it. Neither one of us are strong enough to pick up that heavy wood/particle board.

Joyce, Indiana
  • barbiecat
    barbiecat Posts: 16,984 Member
    Options
    :)Sue in TX, I just looked up "Light Between Oceans" and it looked good....my library has it in several formats, so I put a hold on the audio book version and there are five people ahead of me, so I guess I lot of people are eager to read it. I have three audio books in line to read already so it's a good thing that I won't get it for awhile. Like you, I know nothing about rowing, but one of the things I found gripping about "The Boys in the Boat" was all the emphasis on staying focused on a goal and not being deterred by anything. The book was inspiring to me as I listened and walked outdoors working at getting my strength back after my surgery. They rowed in the rain in Washington as I walked in the drizzle not far away.

<3 Barbie in NW Washington
  • pipcd34
    pipcd34 Posts: 16,723 Member
    Options
  • GloworminWA
    Options
    What's up Pip?
  • margaretturk
    margaretturk Posts: 5,096 Member
    Options
    Lenora I had the Christmas cactus outside during the summer. I did repot it this past summer too. It shared the pot with impatience over the summer. I have another smaller one that I have kept inside and it does not bloom well.
  • sherryminch
    sherryminch Posts: 168 Member
    Options
    Why can't I see what Pip posted? Her post just looks blank on my end.

Sherry in Portland
  • GloworminWA
    Options
    Sherry - She didn't write anything just marking her place where she's read to.
  • lhannon062709
    lhannon062709 Posts: 1,140 Member
    Options
    Morning, all, thanks for the "thank you for your service" posts. I am very proud of the time I served, and the four years in the military served to make me who I am, still, and am grateful for that, enormously. But my own sense of whether I deserve to get be cared for was impacted by the Vietnam vets I knew--many were still in the service at the time I was in (79-83), the ones who decided to make it a career. I heard stories that I will never forget. Many will open up to someone else in uniform where they find it hard to talk to civilians.

Now, I have a son and a daughter who are both military, and my daughter is married to another soldier, as well, and I couldn't be more proud of them. My son got posted to Kuwait for a year, as well, but is now stationed at Malmstrom AFB, in Great Falls, MT. I worried, and still do... but as my son says, "that's your job!" :)

Brenda - yep, the left knee was operated on while I was in the service, and the right knee tanked because of favoring the left. Now it's much worse off... but I can still operate. I've pushed off knee replacements for years, as I want to only do it once. Thank YOU for your service as well.

And, speaking of operating, I do plan to go work out this morning, which I had put off while trying to get the sale together. And am looking forward to going to see the grandbabies at Thanksgiving. We're headed up to Missouri (she's at Fort Leonard Wood), leave Wednesday night, get about four hours down the road, and then will get moving early Thursday and hopefully be there in time for dinner. We'll leave early Saturday morning, do some exploring in Missouri and Arkansas on the way down, and get back on Sunday. Fingers crossed for good weather!

But, for now, I need to get two op-eds written, one for if Trump wins and one for if Clinton wins, so they'll be ready for press time on Wednesday morning. On the job front, I will move back to part-time as of December 1 (at my request), and the new reporter actually starts on Nov. 14. I may well be working at home today, as they were supposed to rip all the carpet out this weekend, finally, at work--we had a massive hot water heater spring a leak from a valve and flood the majority of the building, and it's gone all moldy. We'll see how far they got, but working in a construction zone is no fun...

Off to the races, my chickens,
    Love y'all,
    Lisa in chilly West Texas
  • spikeyhair
    spikeyhair Posts: 2,078 Member
    Options
    Good morning ladies

Not good yesterday as my day out (well one of them) with DH healthy protein lunch, then count the calories for the wine, problem is the munchies when we returned home to watch darts final. Never mind today is another day

Got my workouts in and will try to get a walk outside later as it's a cold but sunny day

2 mile Leslie Sansone with heavier weights than usual
    KB Swings 5x17x13

See you later

Kate UK
  • grandmallie
    grandmallie Posts: 9,812 Member
    Options
    Lisa~ My best friends son is stationed there also..
    Well I am awake and trying to get things done. I am just going to pack Homer in the car and take him down to the vet without an appt.. I have to work at 9 and they open at 8, gonna see if they will keep him for the day and get to the bottom of whats going on, im sure they will give him fluids.. poor baby.. he is just lying around . we are both very afraid..
  • cityjaneLondon
    cityjaneLondon Posts: 12,365 Member
    edited November 2016
    Options
    Good morning!

No news from the viewers on Friday. :|

Shopping for the Christmas cake ingredients today and I resolve to throw out more garden stuff from the garage - old seed packets etc.
    Going to have chorizo and lentil stew tonight. Not low in calories, but it's a no alcohol day, so a few calories in hand. :)

For those who are new and don't know me - I do my exercising at home most days. I have three machines, a yoga mat and some dumbbells and a kettlebell. I always do 600 calories for the day after breakfast in the morning. I add this to my basic 1200, so I can eat 1800 a day. This enables me to enjoy my meals and not to have to go hungry. :D I log everything even though I have been at maintenance for nearly three years now. Originally I lost 57 lbs over 18 months. Slow but sure.
    I tend to eat lower carb than most people which helps in the calorie count. I eat a LOT of vegetables like broccoli, cauliflower, mangetout etc. I snack on carrots and cottage cheese with HOT pickle. <3
    Just putting it out there for the newbies. It worked and works for me. (I am 67) I am lucky that I have a 71 year old husband who does his exercises with me, is very fit and mostly eats very well, though he does like some extra sweet things in the evening. I keep him fed with cake and carbs or he loses weight. I don't join him. :D

Love Heather UK xxxxxxx
  • grandmallie
    grandmallie Posts: 9,812 Member
    Options
    Well I am all set and ready for work, going to take Homer to vet without an appt and see if they will keep him there for the day, and see if we can get to the bottom of what is going on with him....
  • Lagopus
    Lagopus Posts: 1,016 Member
    edited November 2016
    Options
    Sherry in "couch travelling" Portland

For everyone who'd like to travel cheap and easy, and especially for Sherry, here's a link to a fun game. geoguessr.com

The game dumps you in a Google street view image, and you are supposed to stick a pin in a map to guess where you are. You can choose whether you want to be dumped at a random place somewhere on the planet or in a certain region or country. You can look around 360 degrees and follow the roads to read signs and such (if there are any). You can even choose some cities (like Philly or New York). It was created by a couple guys who were in the same computer science class as my son at Stockholm's technical university. Sherry, if you've been all over the 48 states, maybe you'd do well in the US-only version of the game geoguessr.com/usa/play

Have fun! :flowerforyou:

Back home in Longyearbyen, the weather forecast is for lots of rain and high winds. They're so worried about potential mudslides and rockslides that large parts of town are being evacuated. With last winter's deadly avalanche fresh in our minds, we're taking precautions. We don't want to lose any more neighbors. :cry:

Oh, and for any Americans who wonder what in the world Heather is eating: mangetout=snow peas :lol:

/Penny, thinking about the folks back home near the North Pole
  • cityjaneLondon
    cityjaneLondon Posts: 12,365 Member
    Options
    Penny - We have snow peas and we also have mangetout. They are different. I eat both! :D<3

Love Heather UK
  • janetr7476
    janetr7476 Posts: 4,001 Member
    Options
    Penny wrote "Oh, and for any Americans who wonder what in the world Heather is eating: mangetout=snow peas :lol:" Thanks, Penny, I had just asked my husband what it was and was about to look it up. :)

We had a 5.1 earthquake yesterday in Oklahoma about 30 miles north of where we live. No damage at our home.

We're off to Tybee Island today to see one of the tallest light houses in the US.

Janetr (okc but in Savannah for a few more days)
  • Peach1948
    Peach1948 Posts: 2,473 Member
    Options
    631424rbg3g5r2aw.gif
  • Peach1948
    Peach1948 Posts: 2,473 Member
    Options
    Janet ~ I hope your trip to Tybee is fun. During the last hurricane, I think there might have been a lot of damage. Let us know!