edited November 2016
    Options
    Heather, tu mange tout! :heart: Except carbs in excess, of course! :lol:

• PMR2016
    PMR2016 Posts: 3 Member
    edited November 2016
    Options
    Hi Everyone,
    I am new to the group but want to say you ALL have inspired me. I turn fifty next month and really want to make my health and happiness a priority. At a little bit of a life cross roads but want to focus on the positive as I am a true believer on what you focus on gets grows : )

2.5 years ago I lost my mom. We had a some what distance relationship. I lived about 250 miles from her and during her last couple of months i went home to help take care of her with my sisters. At the end my sisters had to work a lot and it was me and mom a good deal of the time. It helped heal some of the things and when she left us i ate my way up 35 pounds. Such a waste.

So now 2.5 later i am struggling to get it off. My plan is to stop beating myself up and focus on the good things about me so i can feel good and motivated.

November Goals.
    Workout: Walking 6 days a week 2-3 miles (walking the dog)
    Total steps per day: 12,000-14,000
    Weight Training - 3-4 days a week
    Log all food
    Claorie goal 14-1500 per day
    if i go off stay under 2,000 Calories
    Lose 4 pounds this month
    Drink 6-8 glasses of water per day (Really trying to increase water)

When i had my 3rd child this was my plan and I lost 40 pounds in 6 months. So back to basics.

Thanks for sharing your inspiration and listening. : )

Chilly in Rhode Island
  • margaretturk
    margaretturk Posts: 5,096 Member
    Options
    :heart:
  • KetoneKaren
    KetoneKaren Posts: 6,411 Member
    edited November 2016
    Options
    Sherry 18 wheelers? Wow, what a woman! ...My dream is to pare my stuff down to "pup tent" living but I am very far from that goal. Congratulations on your success in that arena. I love your new digs. Lisa has been a role model and there are others here whose ranks you join as a clutter buster!

Lisa Your post was full of good news! Great news on your VA health care eligibility! So many people are grumpy about the affordable care act but it has provided options for many people that they would not have had.

Heather This is going to sound weird, but I am so excited to hear how horrible the conservatory is because you can remodel gleefully with no second thoughts. I looked very closely at your floor plan, and that conservatory area, in conjunction with your kitchen area, has such potential! I don't know where your weight bearing walls are, but most of that ground floor could be a large, mostly open, area that could be defined by furniture placement, providing a terrific place to entertain if you wanted to, and would be really conducive to having grandkids about. I LOVE your house, I do hope everything works out the way you want!

Concerning the Christmas Cake, it reminded me of a quest that I have. I want to perfect or find a fruitcake recipe that does not have candied fruit in it, with the possible exception of candied ginger, which is not technically a fruit. What I am after is something with a ton of nuts and dried fruit barely held together with the batter and properly preserved with liquor. Anybody have input? Have been thinking about this for years. I hate candied fruit and am not at all fond of maraschino cherries.

NYKaren I smiled when I read about your hummus and veggies. I bought red pepper hummus in individual serving sized containers and a bag of red, orange, and yellow bell peppers. Ate a whole pepper and the container of hummus at work yesterday & it was SO DELICIOUS and about 150 calories. I have to remember that I love healthy food a lot more than I love junk in any form. I have a weird mentality that says I am not "worth" healthy food because I don't comply 100% with a healthy eating plan. Talk about self-defeating! Giving that up, bye-bye unworthy thoughts. :)

DJ <3 I love your posts.

Barbie Don't you love the way fresh sheets feel and smell? A clean, fresh bed is such a luxury.

Monique and DJ I am insulin resistant (carb sensitive) too. The way I know is that my morning/fasting blood sugars hang around 105-107 instead of under 100. Eating a high carb meal causes my blood sugars to be higher for longer before it returns to normal. So, like many others here, I do better on a lower carb diet. I did Atkins for awhile but now I am happy to keep carbs under 100g per day.

Michele Butt Bible LOL!!!!!

Janetr Nice house pics, hope you are well, rash-free, and having as much fun as it looks like you are!

Gloworm You are my hero. Ohmmmmmmmmm!

Penny Have decided to eat one pound of raw veggies per day. Three days later, I am really happy with my decision. One bell pepper yields almost 8 oz...it isn't that hard to do...thanks for the idea. xo

Cheri c0136.gif

Hugs and encouragement to everyone else!

Today I am hoping to take my grandson to the Poe museum. I think he will love it.

Karen in Virginia playing with grandson today
  • kevrit
    kevrit Posts: 3,966 Member
    Options
    Fun day! My DGS Adam m8usvps4f3bc.jpg
    Dcl9jaf93fwgb.jpg
    GSaekou17y466n.jpg
  • janetr7476
    janetr7476 Posts: 4,001 Member
    Options
    Peach1948 wrote: »
    Janet ~ I hope your trip to Tybee is fun. During the last hurricane, I think there might have been a lot of damage. Let us know!

People that were next door to us in the RV were over there the other day and climbed to the top of the lighthouse, she didn't mention any damage. She did tell we needed to go over there. :)

Janetr okc (on thw way toTybee Island)
  • kevrit
    kevrit Posts: 3,966 Member
    Options
    Weigh in day today. Lost a pound! Yay me!
  • Lilymay2
    Lilymay2 Posts: 2,524 Member
    Options
    Welcome Chilly in Rhode Island. My grandparents was born there and according to the Family Tree there are relatives still there.

Lillian in West Central Saskatchewan
  • janetr7476
    edited November 2016
    Options
    Karen in VA wrote "Janetr Nice house pics, hope you are well, rash-free, and having as much fun as it looks like you are"

We are having wonderful adventure. I am still on Prednisone so no hives. I was thinking of calling the doctor to taper off but one night last week I was stressing as Jack was discussing selling our home and going RVing full time. And sure enough I had a couple of small breakouts that evening, soooo had the Rx refilled and will remain on the steroids for at least another month. Thanks for asking. :)

Janetr okc
  • janetr7476
    Options
    Rita, great pictures of your grandson.

Janetr okc
  • KJLaMore
    KJLaMore Posts: 2,836 Member
    Options
    Morning girls! Monday morning after the time change, and every single one of my kids was here about an hour earlier than usual and CRABBY!!! Going to be an interesting day. :/ Read page 13 will have to read and comment later. Hugs KJ
  • Katla49
    Katla49 Posts: 10,385 Member
    Options
    Sherry in Portland: I hope you will be pleased with your new lifestyle. :flowerforyou:

Newbies: Welcome to a great group of supportive women. :flowerforyou:

Michele: My "fall back" issues happen annually, but they feel worse this year. It is weird that I travelled two time zones away and back without trouble, but am struggling with setting the clock back an hour. I guess that is one time change too many for my biological clock. :ohwell:

Gloria: Thanks for the egg recipe! It looks like great party food. :smiley:

Lisa: Good luck with your many changes, and with the two election pieces. I'd love to have a preview of both of your editorials. :flowerforyou:

Heather: I love what you shared about your diet lifestyle. I think it is very positive for those who are new to see how you've been able to succeed. :star:

Like Heather, I've been here quite a while. I started at 210 lbs on October 15, 2012 and have lost 76.5 pounds in all, as of today. I reached my initial goal of 140 pounds August 12, 2014 but decided to go a little lower for a margin of error. I've been bumping around the 135-136 zone since then. Once in a while I've gone up as far as 137, but it has been for only a day or two. I have counted calories for every bite and swallow since I began. It worked to lose weight and it also works to maintain weight. I prefer a protein rich diet because I feel best that way. It ends up that I also have a relatively high fat diet. I love dark green veggies such as broccoli and brussels sprouts, and enjoy salads. My exercise choices are yoga, walking, and horseback riding. I ride a recumbent bike to burn calories if I've over eaten or want to earn a treat.

Election day is tomorrow. This is a tough election and I voted a while back since Oregon has a mail-in election for all elections. I voted, but I didn't get to vote my first choice in the national election because that person lost in the primary. I did get to vote for first choices in state and local elections.

Katla in Beautiful NW Oregon

“Our greatest weakness lies in giving up. The most certain way to succeed is always to try just one more time.” Thomas A. Edison
  • auntiebk
    auntiebk Posts: 2,520 Member
    Options
    Good morning, lovelies!

mambimumbo wrote: »
    ..."focused on zumba 'cause it makes me happy despite the fact that I can't really follow along too well. hahaha. Seriously...it's kinda funny..." B)
    Zumba DOES make me happy, laugh AND feel better, mostly. Sometimes I feel bad about how I look or what I can't do. That's when I need to turn around and watch the one-legged gal zumba-ing to beat the band from her wheelchair. Inspiring!
    B) Kim, can't wait to see pics of the top secret strawberry tub when done, sounds like fun for all!
    :o Michelle, $1200 for boyfriend's bday party?
    ;) Sherry, Score! Hope your new neighbors will be as great a deal.
    :p Kelly, Have you tried Mucinex?
    ;) Heather, Women with WD40 have secret powers ;}
    Christmas cake-YUM! Reminds me of the All Creatures episode where the Sr Vet wasn't fooled when a woman substituted her sister's cake for hers...
    Joyce, love the teamwork. >:) Wish I'd thought of that when DH and DBIL put up an above ground pool 12+ years ago. Didn't read, didn't watch the video, ended up having to "engineer" some of the parts.
    <3 Allie, Wishing the best for Homer and you.

Weather here in SW Idaho is delightfully unusual. Highs in the mid 60s, way above normal. Little to no frost. Played with leaves yesterday afternoon. Today will be 2nd full session of strength training before H20Fit.
    Time to get off my butt and prep some veggies for when I get home RAVENOUS. Been slacking on the good food lately but not today!

Hugs,
    desismileys_4280.gifBarbara, the SW Idaho AHMOD who is happy to be here.
    Intentions:
    Smile then listen
    Today: Log like Mary MSH, every bite lick or sip whether over, under or sidewise. . . EVERY day ;}
    November: Strength Training 3 days/week. Zumba, H20 Fit or Line Dance Class 4 times/week.
    Nov-Dec-Jan: Vitamin D 3 x day.
    ---
    Log: 100%
    Cardio: G/S, B/H20/LD, G/B/AZ, Z, 0, G
    Strength: 0, non-legs, legs, 1/2 non-legs, 0, 0
    Vit 'D': x x 100% 100% 100% 100%
  • DamitJanit
    DamitJanit Posts: 1,329 Member
    Options
    Call me crazy but I love to see other people happy and succeeding .

Good Morning Ladies,

Heather, your food always sounds so delicious. I feel like I cook such plain dishes but then that is what I like so it’s okay. I also eat pretty low carb with a few exceptions. I love meat as much as veggies so never have any trouble getting my protein. Thank goodness DH and I both like chicken a lot as that is the main dish at least 5 nights a week.1970971ve2hb8sa86.gif

Valerie, welcome. You have started on a life journey and found a wonderful place for support and information. I know from friends that you will still struggle with eating right so tracking your food is important to find what works best for you. Come here often and let us know what’s going on.

Monique, thanks for the explanation. I have a question for all of you Oregonians….Do you actually get to go to the polls and vote tomorrow? MY DD moved there and said she got her ballot in the mail and is to fill it out and drop it off at a certain place or mail it in, but didn’t think you could actually go vote on election day. Each state is so different and very interesting.

Barbie, you are just the “Bomb”. You remind me of the Energizer Bunny. I mean, didn’t even slow down for back surgery. I’m so happy you are healing so well!!! ((((Hugs))))

MicheleNC, I was very impressed with all you did for the Halloween party. I don’t know if I’d go to that much trouble if the Queen were going to visit. LOL But that’s partly because I’m so lazy. Anyway, a huge congrats on everything being absolutely wonderful. I hope everyone enjoyed it. Now are you going to go that extravagant for Christmas? I love Christmas and Christmas decorations so can’t wait to see what all you do. I like to start with my Christmas decorations by December 1st, but the Cruise is Dec. 2nd and having company before and after it, so probably won’t get everything down from the attic until after she leaves on the 10th. That will really put me behind so I need to rethink this.

Gloria, my mother used to make fruitcake every year and I didn’t like it as a child. My best friend has an aunt that makes fruit cake cookies (we call ‘em “Lizzies”) that I absolutely love!!!! She gets me a couple of dozen every Christmas and I dole them out like gold.1363522ff78qgrg96.gif

SueBDue, Christmas at Disney with family sounds wonderful. Even though it’s not traditional I’ll bet it will be a Christmas to remember.

Lisa, when you work at home are you in the camper or in the warehouse? Just curious. I’m so happy that you are getting to cut back to part time.

Heather, I had to look up mangetout. Now that I know it’s snow peas, I love them. That is something I very rarely buy for some reason. Think I’ll put it on the shopping list. Thanks. I do eat lots of broccoli and cauliflower. (later) you said they aren't snowpeas but that's what Google told me? I guess they are similar?

Penny, thanks for the geography game. I will check it out later, but sounds like fun.

CarolGA, 2507255bbpnjohz19.gif

Chilly, welcome. This is a wonderful place for support and information so come often. It sounds like you have a plan for success so please share with us often.

KarenVA, good for you on getting rid of that notion that you aren’t “worth” healthy food. You know you are, girl!!! The hummus and bell pepper sounds wonderful. I like hummus a lot but my brain goes to dipping chips in it. Boo hiss. Now I’ll think veggies!!! Thanks, friend.

Rita, glad you had fun with your DGS. He is one handsome boy!!! Congrats on the loss!!!!

pretty-pink-welcome-smiley-emoticon.gifto any Newbies that I missed. Come often and join in the chat. This thing works!! Please sign your post with what you want to be called. It makes it easier for us to respond to you. Also a location is great, be it specific or general. We are happy to have you join us.

I slept so well last night which was wonderful after the restless night before. I am so happy that election day is almost here which means the madness is almost over. I don’t even enjoy watching the news any more since it is almost all about the election. Enough is enough!!! I hope that whoever wins will do a good job for our Country and try to unite us once again. Thank you ladies for all your posts. Please know that each one is important to me in one way or another.
    Sending love and good thoughts to all of you and I hope you all have a Happy and Healthy Day! rainbow-smiley-emoticon.gif

Words I live by:
    Savor. I have to slow down and savor every bite.
    and
    Opportunity. Each day offers new opportunities for good health and happiness if we just look for them and choose them.
    I Love you, blow.gif
    DJ
    Myrtle Beach, SC
  • pipcd34
    pipcd34 Posts: 16,723 Member
    Options
  • cityjaneLondon
    cityjaneLondon Posts: 12,365 Member
    Options
    Hi all!

The dried fruit, glacé cherries, mixed peel and orange zest are soaking in the orange juice and brandy. :D We will finish the cake tomorrow.

Our viewer said he's still mulling it over, but is worrying about the proximity of the neighbouring properties, particularly the large house on the left, so I don't think it is a goer. I told the agent they were quiet and useful for taking in parcels. Actually we find them a pain.

We spent the afternoon hanging laundry, heavy mall shopping, unpacking, preparing cake and cooking chorizo stew. Then, because I had promised you all that I would, I did some tidying in the garage - i.e. throwing away old garden stuff. :D Phew! :o
    Happy to chill now.

Karen - I'm sure you could adapt any nutty rich fruit cake recipe and just leave out the things you don't like.
    When I originally saw the house I thought all the walls would have to come out, but I'm having a slightly more conservative idea now, leaving the dining room walls and extending out a bit and knocking all that rear bit through. That would leave room at the back of the kitchen for a utility and toilet. Oh well, we aren't there yet. I have everything crossed. :#;):o
    Don't forget, hummus is very high in calories. Good thing you had an individual portion.! It is one of my favourite things so I don't buy it. ;)

Love Heather UK xxxxxxx

• Elizabeth2360
    Elizabeth2360 Posts: 181 Member
    Options
    Good Morning!
  • APG91
    APG91 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Just beginning "My Fitness Pal" journey today. I'm 51, saw this group and decided it was for me. I've never "joined" a group before, but thought it might help keep me motivated if I followed along with others who have similar goals at a similar stage in life, and share the ups and inevitable downs. I never had a weight problem until I had my children, which I did later in life, around age 40. Since then, the weight has been pretty tough to lose. I tried a couple of years ago and lost 11 pounds, but it creeped back on and trying what used to work before (just giving up dessert and candy) isn't effective any more. The weight keeps slowly building. I'm about 35 lbs heavier than my ideal weight and am noticing its significantly harder to keep up with my boys and even things like crossing my legs and tying my shoes are becoming noticeably more difficult, and I'm always out of breath when I arrive at the office, having walked just about two blocks from the parking lot. I have a very sedentary desk job, and am often sitting here for 12 hours and even more. I've never enjoyed exercise, and have never really belonged to a gym. Before kids I used to walk a treadmill a few times per week at home, but don't have one available any longer.

My goals:
    Stop the mindless eating when I feel stressed or blue, and when packing school lunches.
    Try my best to stick to 1,200 calories daily until I reach my target (which should take about 6 months)
    Drink 8 glasses of water daily
    Become more active as weight is lost and I (hopefully) have more energy (I have NONE now, it just seems hard to get through the days).

If any of you have tips about how to avoid the stress/blues munching, I'm listing...I sometimes start snacking at night and even as I'm eating I tell myself I should not do this, yet I continue as if it's somehow going to make me feel better, despite the fact that I know I'll feel worse when I'm done. I know better, and yet I can't stop the cycle.

Thanks!
    APG91
  • klanders30
    klanders30 Posts: 2,569 Member
    Options
    Welcome APG91: I guess to avoid the mindless nighttime eating I have tried a lot of things, sometimes one thing works over another, but a couple of these strategies might work:

1. Make sure you get healthy calories all day, snack on protein, not carbs, I can't save my calories for nighttime, I just don't digest well at night.
    2. Have night time protein ready to snack on like 0% yogurt, veggies and low cal dip
    3. Get the food cleared away from dinner asap, no nibbling and then go brush your teeth.
    4. Pick a time when the kitchen is declared closed (i even mop the floor so I can't walk on the wet floor) and turn the lights off
    5. For me, protein rich nuts (i know they are loaded with calories) are a great snack and seem to alter my mood for the better. I really like salty/crunchy so nuts are my substitute

DJ: I love sliced veggies, like cucumbers, zucchini, even carrots circles to act like chips with my hummus. If I eat hummus with chips, it triggers my overeating everything in sight!

NYKAREN
  • cityjaneLondon
    cityjaneLondon Posts: 12,365 Member
    Options
    APG - -1200 calories sounds too low to me. If you are 35 lbs overweight your mfp allowance will be higher. Don't try to lose more than 1 lb a week. Going too low only ends in bingeing. Try to eat at a level that is sustainable over a lifetime, not for a short spell. Remenber to add in your exercise calories so you can eat more. That way you will not feel hungry.
    It is no use asking too much of yourself. A good sustainable regime, cultivating good daily habits, is the way to go. We all want it to happen yesterday, but this is for life, not for a few months, so it is important to enjoy ourselves. B)

My chorizo stew was fabulous! It came in at 500, which is way over my usual amount, but I am well within limits today and I didn't count in my active afternoon. :D

Love Heather UK xxxxxxx