WOMEN AGES 50+ FOR NOVEMBER 2016

Options

Replies

• lhannon062709
    lhannon062709 Posts: 1,140 Member
    Options
    Michele - you pegged it. I couldn't write either one of them. I don't express political opinions on here--but in this case, since it's even-handed, I will. No matter who wins, there will be chaos. My personal hope is, that whoever wins, their party does not win a majority in the House and Senate. Our saving grace will be the system that was built to contain the excesses of a single party or person.

For Katla - I've cut my commentaries down to 500 words, so I'll include the latest one here:

Thinking Out Loud: I refuse to talk about the election

I’m actually writing this on the Sunday before Election Day, but as hard as I have ducked and dodged, I have been unable to avoid the mud-slinging and carping and posturing and oh-my-stars-and-whiskers, isn’t everyone just feeling EEEEEEE-vill this morning.

Gah.

So, let’s talk about something else, anything else. And if you don’t come up with a topic, I will. Your lack of response is a little disturbing, but hey, I didn’t give you much notice now, did I. So, to a topic of my choosing (I am aware they’re all of my choosing, but then, you never call, you never write), let’s go with wrinkles, shall we?

Mine are becoming prominent enough that I’m starting to name them. They don’t go away. I put so much cream on my face that, considering the current clown-bigotry that’s flying around, it makes me a little nervous. The wrinkles just drink it in and ask for more.

Of course, it’s possible that the wrinkle cream is doing the same thing that I’ve always had my suspicions about concerning the diet food industry. Tired of conspiracy theories? Well, suck it up, buttercup, there’s yet one more coming down the pike.

So, here’s my thought. We all know that almost no one loses weight permanently. And for the very few that do, we elbow each other and make snarky noises about their faces falling off their heads. But for the 97 percent of diets that don’t work, what if, just if… they’re fibbing about the calorie content. Yes, I’m being facetious, but seriously, think about it. What’s going to sell more diet food? Yep, people getting fatter. And if they’ve found some way to pump that horrible diet food with umpty-billion calories, then you’re going to get even bigger when you eat that second Lean Cuisine. But, you’ll assume it’s your fault, and get more Lean Cuisine, and it just becomes a vicious circle, you know? It’s an attractive prospect, since we need SOMEthing to blame our ever-widening rear bumpers on.

I’ll have to tell my brother-in-law the nutcase. If he can tie it in with the jet contrails spreading birth control and libido killers, he’ll jump on that like a duck on a junebug.

If you take the same thought and transfer it over to wrinkle cream as a whole, rather than thinking about a specific brand name, then you start thinking that the evil wrinkle cream manufacturers may have figured out a way to cause wrinkles, instead of fix ‘em. But here they’ve got us thinking it’s life in general that’s causing our faces to fold like cheap suits, so we goop on more wrinkle cream, and on and on from there.

I’m thinking out loud that’s as bad as my conspiracy theories ever get, so I’m sorry if your addiction to new and better “they’re out to get me,” stories has not been satisfied.

That’s as bad as it gets around here.

Off to the races, my chickens

Love y'all,
    Lisa in West Texas
  • cityjaneLondon
    cityjaneLondon Posts: 12,370 Member
    Options
    Hi there,
    Yoga this morning. :D
    Had a bit of a sleepless moment last night worrying about buying/selling houses. :noway: Rather than just lie there I got up and read about the meeting between the Dalai Lama and Archbishop Tutu. Felt calmer, so went back to bed. :D

Got to scrape the frost off the windscreen this morning. Brrrrr!

I'm going to make a quick exit from yoga and get the cake in the oven before lunch. We are having roast guinea fowl tonight so need to get it done. It takes three and a half hours on a low light. DH always gets on with cutting the cake linings. He will also have to help me tie on the brown paper and cut a cartouche for the top. (A greaseproof circle with a hole in the midfle)

Got to get scraping!

Love Heather UK xxxxxxx
  • Elizabeth2360
    Elizabeth2360 Posts: 181 Member
    Options
    Hello Ladies,

Welcome APG91 -

After cleaning up the kitchen sat down to watch a little television with my husband. Woke up at 2am ! I didn't even feel tired.

I am helping out at a Christmas Bazaar being held at the senior center in Meridian this Saturday. I agreed to this before everything our table is the bake goods. I decided to help take the money that way I am not helping with the food. Normally I don't have a sweet tooth more salty is more my thing but right now I have been craving carbs. So to be safe. Thankful there are a lot of helpers and i won't need to be there the entire time.

I want to print out mailing labels, label packages etc so going to see what there is out there and if it is something I can do. So that is part of tomorrow adventure!

We voted early - last week! First time we did that normally we wait till voting day go down and do it. I always enjoyed being a part of it. This year I wanted to vote for sure but not deal with the line. So it is done. I am happy that we did .

I wish everyone a good day!

Liz
    Caldwell, Idaho
  • grandmallie
    grandmallie Posts: 9,820 Member
    Options
    morning ladies~
    well neither of us slept well last night..to worried about Homer.. things aren't looking good, instead of the bone marrow ,they are going to do an ultrasound of the chest. which I think they should have done the last time they did the ultrasound,,, going to call vet today and see when we bring him in again for another ultrasound we can get a break ,we have just poured money into the vets office in the last month.. taking it all a day at a time
  • klanders30
    klanders30 Posts: 2,569 Member
    Options
    <3 Allie. I am so sorry about homer. Sending you <3<3
  • lhannon062709
    lhannon062709 Posts: 1,140 Member
    Options
    Hope the news for Homer is good, Allie. Thinking about you both.
  • KJLaMore
    KJLaMore Posts: 2,837 Member
    Options
    Good morning ladies! Election day! I am so freaking happy that I will vote and am hoping the pressure will ease a bit. It has been tense in my home for the past couple of months. Married a man who votes differently than I do. We don't talk politics at home. Not going to go into it here, either. Just going to say, I am wondering if this is where some of my stress eating is coming from.
    Early kiddos not here, yet, as their parents are voting this morning. The kiddos will be voting today for really important things like lunch, books, crafts, activities, games, songs, etc. It will be fun for all of us.
    Pip- So glad you and Kirby got it done! Can't wait to hear the details.
    Allie- So sorry to hear about HOmer. Love and hugs to you and Tom <3
    Liz- I love going to Christmas/Holiday Bazaars! Hmmm...Bazaar is a weird word. I think I will have to look that one up.
    Heather- Ugh! When life enters your sleep world and keeps you awake! Hope you can get some rest!
    Lisa- My son and I were just talking about how busy newspapers/magazines are and have been the past few weeks having to get two issues ready to go to press. Don't envy you that! Breathe and find your happy place! B)
    Whoops! Here comes one of my kiddos! Gotta fly! Love and think of you ladies often!
  • pipcd34
    pipcd34 Posts: 16,730 Member
    Options
  • Lilymay2
    Lilymay2 Posts: 2,524 Member
    Options
    Awesome yes the US Election. For some reason our Canadian television seems to be obsessed with it. Good thing I have the grandkids today and we will be outside for most of the day and tonight I have TOPS

Take care all.

Lillian in West Central Saskatchewan.
  • trisH_7183
    trisH_7183 Posts: 1,486 Member
    edited November 2016
    Options
    Janetr.......the historical part of Savannah is wonderful.....so is the food. Enjoy
  • janetr7476
    janetr7476 Posts: 4,001 Member
    Options
    patceoh wrote: »
    Janetr.......the historical part of Savannah is wonderful.....so is the food. Enjoy

Looking forward to it :)

Janetr okc
  • grandmallie
    grandmallie Posts: 9,820 Member
    Options
    Thanks for all the doggie love.. it truly is appreciated... we both know it is close to the end for poor Homie.. we will do the one ultrasound of chest, which I just called and told them if we have to do another ultrasound that we should at least get a break ,they should have done chest ultrasound when they did abdomen... it is 275.00 everytime we get it done.. we are closing in on 3,000 that has been spent over the last 6 weeks ...
    well will take them out for a walk and then to work 9-6
  • ljdw99
    ljdw99 Posts: 360 Member
    Options
    Lisa great commentary!

Lois on the North Shore of Ma
  • Peach1948
    Peach1948 Posts: 2,473 Member
    Options
    Allie ~ Thinking about you and Homer. What a hard decision to make.

Lisa ~ Your article was strange.

Gloria ~ I am also confused about the low carb diet even though I have read a lot online about doing it. As usual, my greatest downfall is loving my wine in the evening.

I have turned off the television. So glad that whoever wins the election, maybe some of the constant battling will be over. No matter who wins, there will be a lot of angry folks.

Carol
  • margaretturk
    margaretturk Posts: 5,098 Member
    Options
    It is our day to VOTE! Beside the vote for the future President we vote on school board and a local election. The important thing is to get out and vote.

I plan to go after I take my car in for service.
  • Charleen2
    Charleen2 Posts: 223 Member
    Options
    Not a political statement, but what has been really happening in my life for the past week. I've had a major flare up of my hemorrhoids that has had me on the sofa for the duration. Can't walk, exercise, sew/quilt, lift or sit without a lot of pain. I've managed to read a book (Hamilton) in this time. It's actually an interesting read.

Daughter has suggested that my flare up is due to election angst, the pain (she says) seems to have more than one source. Woke up this morning and think I am beginning to finally turn the corner. Of course! It's election day! If there is anything to her line of thought, help my hemorrhoids feel better, get out and vote! Please!

Charleen in Colorado (We vote by mail in ballot thank heavens) m0778.gif
  • kevrit
    kevrit Posts: 3,970 Member
    Options
    Mood going downhill. Feel blah. Going to chiropractor maybe she can help.

Rita from CT
  • csofled
    csofled Posts: 3,022 Member
    Options
    Good morning y'all!

Cheri in TX
  • spikeyhair
    spikeyhair Posts: 2,078 Member
    Options
    Morning Ladies

Did 41 min Jessica Smith workout this morning

It's my other regular day out today so wine but had a healthy salad with egg and feta for lunch so hopefully not too much over

Tomorrow have a date for lunch with my Ladies Club its usually a roast dinner followed by dessert but I usually manage to keep under on the day. We have a speaker and these are really interesting and diverse.
    This club is called the 1918 Club it was started in 1918 by Eleanor Rathbone and has met regularly since. She was a Liverpool MP who championed the rights of women.

Hope all goes well with voting, US system so different from ours.

Downloaded an app and word processed this and pasted in, fed up with losing posts.

Kate UK
  • SSC1958
    SSC1958 Posts: 411 Member
    Options
    <3