WOMEN AGES 50+ FOR NOVEMBER 2016

Options

Replies

• Annr
    Annr Posts: 2,765 Member
    Options
    SSC1958 wrote: »
    Happy Thanksgiving to all celebrating.

Becca: You are very creative - love the high heel concept!
    Penny: Great to hear from you

Managed to get to Tai Chi twice this week. Looking forward to the hot stone massage I have scheduled after work. The masseuse is so popular I have to book them a year in advance. Normally, I go home and relax afterward but had already planned to go to the new Harry Potter movie with the boys tonight. We've heard good things about it.

Carey - Northern Alberta

Goals for Nov:
    - Increase walking by at least 100 steps per day
    - Get to Tai Chi at least once a week
    - Increase daily water intake

Carey, just a heartfelt warning. I had a friend that did the hot stone massage, and has burn marks on his back to prove it. Just ask a lot of questions, is my only concern.
    Becca
  • Annr
    Options
    Oh my gosh make this rain stoooop please... Every darn house along the route to our community center has an impromptu koi pond in the front.....The river that meanders around is up to capacity, and all the ditches are overflowing. Granted, we live on ground that is 99% sand, so in a day or two it will soak all in. Husband purposely drove in all the streets with the big puddles so our car could splash in the water.... Can you say "Happy Car". Don't misunderstand me, there really isn't any "flooding" persay, its just really wet coastal weather. I still have 10% California in me, so I tend to whine during this time...

The free Thanksgiving feast was good, and I saw many seniors from the Senior Lunch I volunteer at. They were surprised to see me sitting and relaxing! I saw my one couple that asked me to sing opera many months ago, and when I said goodbye to her, wishing her Happy Thanksgiving, I also said, "Love Ya". Funny, I do that a lot, especially when I say goodbye on the phone, I tend to say "love Ya" there too. Silly Becca.....

Happy Thanksgiving to you all
    (special healing hugs to you Sherry, you are having a rough time, so sorry to hear). I hope your next place will be more relaxing and less drama.

Becca
    Oregon
  • grandmallie
    grandmallie Posts: 9,812 Member
    Options
    evening ladies~
    I am parkin my butt right now, cooked and cleaned up and everyone had a great time..lots of food ans I am sore as all get out from being on my feet..took an advil pm and hope that helps with sleep...
  • Annr
    Options
    Oh remember a while ago, I mentioned that I took all my Christmas decorations, split them into 3 piles for each of my sons? Well, I have decided that this is the last time I will use all my decorations. When my sons are here, they can take turns taking what they wish from the decorations. I figure what they think is special, might not be what they think is special, so I think I shall make a game out of it. Plus I want to decorate my tree with all the kid's ornaments for the last time....

This next Sunday a church in Astoria will have a Handel's Messiah sing-a-long, and I want to attend that! I thought I had the Messiah book, so I spent most of the morning looking thru stuff. I finally find my opera music and the book I thought was the Messiah was Verdi's Requiem....well the books kind of look the same....sheesh. Well I hope they have books for me to use. Or I can just "wing it".

Becca
    Oregon
  • Lagopus
    Lagopus Posts: 1,016 Member
    Options
    Hey Becca, love ya!

Just sayin'

/Penny at the Pole
  • lyncara
    lyncara Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    Hi Everyone, CL from NY here. Today went well, I ate mostly within my food plan, although I was over in my proteins but not in my calories or fats. Also today was day 2 of the 30 day walking challenge and I did it. So foodwise and exercise it was a good day!!!Hope you all had one too!
  • pipcd34
    pipcd34 Posts: 16,724 Member
    Options
  • Peach1948
    Peach1948 Posts: 2,473 Member
    Options
    So glad the day is over! Started cooking at 7 Am and was still cooking until 5 PM. Such a mess to clean up. All the sides were brought by our company but that was such a mess to clean up. I will face it tomorrow. I am getting too old for this! It all turned out great though. The food and sides were delicious. I did not eat any turkey or ham but enjoyed the sides.

Carol
  • GRITSandSLUTSandWINOS
    GRITSandSLUTSandWINOS Posts: 2,573 Member
    Options
    Margaret – My niece was born on Thanksgiving Day, 50 years ago, today! I think her best present was ‘news’ that her Daddy ‘might’ be released from the hospital since he had a stroke the Friday before Halloween. She and her sister flew down to be with their Mom as she waited through three 6- to 10-hour operations. MDs/Surgeons said it was the worst, most extensive bleed they had ever dealt with. The blessing is: He has come through it with very few deficits. He gets mixed up on dates, and has some weakness in his arms; but, he recognized and talked to all of them right after coming out of recovery. This has been nothing short of a ‘miracle’ and I cannot wait to hear his side of the story. He had told my sister that 'he could hardly wait to get back home and to church to share with the other members'. He had to have had a 'near death' experience. He was getting a little ‘frustrated’ about the things he was not able to do, immediately; and, the doctor told him he was doing better than expected … he could have been just as easily - DEAD!

Shaq370 – Hi and thanks for your comments!

Pip – Oh, dear, they wanted the same thing for Christmas and you only bought one. Bad Santa!!!

Becca – All of us in the SE of the USA are praying for that rain to come on down!!!! We need it as bad as y’all DON’T! We are now into the 2nd month of drought conditions. Fires up in the northern part of the state, some affecting the Smoky Mountains. I guess someone did not heed Smoky the Bear's warning about what ‘one match’ thing could do to a forest. The smoke has been the worst part for most people. I am sure that some have lost their homes. We just don’t normally get that type of fire, like California and the W/NW seem to do. It's one thing to have a 'controlled' burn ... that can help a forest; but, a 'raging fire' only destroys everything or anyone in its path.

Snow all over the place up in New England … I know I could not deal with that. They say you can always put on more clothes; but, I’d be peeing in my pants trying to strip them off quick enough. Nope, I’d rather be ‘hot’ than ‘cold’. I'd rather be 'naked' by a body of water than to be cold, even 'by a fire' in the fireplace.

Then I guess I am ‘silly’, too! Sign things “Love ya!” and say it a lot; it is 2nd nature. DMGD’s boyfriend will tell DOS and DDnL#1 “Love Ya” when he and she are leaving. She asked her Daddy ‘why he did not say ‘love ya’ back to him’? He said, I have not even told DOGD’s boyfriend that ‘I love him’ … when he puts a ring on her finger, then ‘maybe’ … The kid still does it. Silly Andrew.

Love ya! Lenora
  • pipcd34
    pipcd34 Posts: 16,724 Member
    Options
    Tummy is full,
  • barbiecat
    barbiecat Posts: 16,984 Member
    Options
    :) A lovely time was had by all of us today--Jake, the dogs, and me and our three guests....Tijuana Train Wreck was delicious....Jake did all the preparation and clean-up and I cleaned the bathrooms and got the table ready. Bernie, the cat, hid out in the bedroom because he doesn't like company. We decided that this was the best Thanksgiving we've ever had.

sleep-in-bed.gif Barbie from beautiful NW Washington
  • tngram2seven
    tngram2seven Posts: 465 Member
    Options
    Thanksgiving Greetings, ladies -
    We had a nice dinner with family. Only had to take a vegetable casserole. Came home without leftovers so not too much damage done.
    Sherry - so sorry about you situation. I hope the new park is a perfect home for you and Missy.
    Margaret - Happy Birthday!
    Mary - enjoyed the cartoons!
    Beth - Hi!
    Rita - glad to hear you feel better.

Night all
    Toni in still dry Tennessee
  • jmkmomm
    jmkmomm Posts: 3,247 Member
    Options
    Wow, lots of reading today. I don't think I read or posted yesterday or today. As usual, I left my house cleaning until the last day so that's what we did yesterday. Let's just say we are feeling our age and I am not even close to some of you women. Christina got in early so we had to rush to finish.

I usually get up around ten or later in the morning but with kids in the house plus more family and dinner to make I got up at 8. Plus my grand kids are getting older and I miss a lot of their life and it isn't fair to them that they come here and I am still in bed. Michelle and my sister's daughter in law love each other like close sisters and are the main cooks. But my sister and I still make our things and I help my two DGDs make things. We had the noodles on the largest of the burners and other things were getting done and nothing was happening to the noodles. Among 4 intelligent women, some one finally checks the burner and it's stone cold. So some how the heating element had come out of the stove part. We finally got that fixed so the lunch could finally get done. Michelle's boyfriend and room mate were there so we had 13 people. I have been lamenting about having to move our Christmas to a sterile fellowship building but today told me that if I hurt this much with just 13 and no small children running around, there is no way I can host 33. But oh the family drama that has made this wonderful Christmas season change. I hve spoken of my 2 nephews that have all these kids. Well the family with the 3 kids, nephew has another girlfriend that announcd engagement today was coming with his new fiance'. The 3 kids live with Mom and her finace'. She has never trusted nephew with the kids since he used to be a heroin addict and even now with him clean really doesn't participate with the kids when my brother and wife babysit. So if they come she has to be with them. So if the kids come she would be driving them here with her fiance'. Everyone clear????? Ok, the other nephew with 4 kids. Even though they don't really know who the father of any of those kids my nephew has given them all his name and loves them as if they were his own. Well his parents, my brother, is putting into practice rel real tough love this year and had said to him that unless he can find the money for gas and hotel, they can't come. his younger brother if 20 and has never gotten a job so Mom and Dad just said either job or leave. so he is some where with who knows what, is he pimping himself, drug dealer, who knows what. So he is not welcome to come anyway.

They all must have had a humdinger of an arguement at their home today but she has blown up on facebook and when she gets mad like this,my nephew has a short temper and they carry it from California to New York and back. They adopted a man who was abanded because he has spina bifida and walks weird and wears a diaper. He of course is pretty needy., He wrote me a face book message to tell me that he isn't coming. So that is 10 people that may not come.

I understand tough love, I tried to use it when Michelle was in college. But my love for her got in my way and we have a deep relationship now. I don't know what it would have been like if I hadn't had let her back in the home. And she is a very mature person. Did we luck out in what we did? I don't know but I love our relationship not only my daughter but as a wonderful part of our family.

sherry, I just read about your ordeal. I know how much that RV park meant to you at first, not just the RV but where you were and your neighbor. I pray that you will find a safe place where you can emotionally and physically recover. and I hope you will always realize that we are safe. We will never attack you and always give you the support you need.

Joyce, very tired in Indiana
  • Charleen2
    Charleen2 Posts: 223 Member
    Options
    Dinner for 2 (myself and DD) today. I did the full set of fixings, turkey, stuffing, pies and veggies. I won't have to cook for a week. I didn't eat to excess, in fact by minding portion size I got to taste what I wanted. Except for the pumpkin pie, after cleaning up I fell asleep. So pumpkin pie for breakfast tomorrow!

Happy Thanksgiving to everyone.

Charleen in Colorado (DD sent pics of our loaded table to her Swedish friends because they wanted to see what a 'real' Thanksgiving dinner looked like.)
  • janetr7476
    janetr7476 Posts: 4,001 Member
    Options
    Lisa feel your pain just drove back and forth to St. Louis. Left Wednesday and home Saturday. Just about recovered now.

Happy Thanksgiving!

Every eight years or so it happens my birthday comes on Thanksgiving. I was actually born on Thanksgiving, so I makes it more special to me. Plan is to go out to eat with family. Taking the easy way. AND NO LEFTOVERS!

:heart: Margaret

Oh , Happy Birthday, Margaret. You've had a hard year, praying this one begins a smoother time for you.

Janetr okc
  • janetr7476
    janetr7476 Posts: 4,001 Member
    Options
    bwcetc wrote: »
    Happy Thanksgiving!

So good to see you Beth. Hope you had a wonderful day.

Janetr okc
  • SSC1958
    SSC1958 Posts: 411 Member
    edited November 2016
    Options
    Great to see you Beth

Happy Birthday Margaret

KJ: Loved Fantastic Beasts and where to find them. We didn't go to the 3D version, but I'll bet it was even better.

Becca: Thank you for the caution. I've been going to the same masseuse for about 2 years now, I've never been burned thank goodness. Sorry to hear that your friend was <3

Carey - Northern Alberta

Goals for Nov:
    - Increase walking by at least 100 steps per day
    - Get to Tai Chi at least once a week
    - Increase daily water intake
  • Katla49
    Katla49 Posts: 10,385 Member
    edited November 2016
    Options
    Sherry: I hope the move goes well. You'll be much happier in a safer park. (((HUGS)))

Heather: I hope the viewing goes well on Monday. Good luck. :flowerforyou:

Lillian in West Central Saskatchewan: ", , , Curling has started for the winter. I have quite a To Do list on the go. This being retired can be pretty hectic. I have had to schedule things so they get done otherwise I would procrastinate and nothing would get done!" Retirement is a busy time in my life, too. I love it. Do you participate in curling as a player or a fan? :huh:

Penny: "Walking home from the grocery store just now, I had to stop and take a few deep breaths, stunned by the velvety darkness all around me.
    I realized I'm thankful I live in a place with polar night, where it's dark in the middle of the day, when I'm awake enough to appreciate it."

You are amazing. I always enjoy your observations and your appreciation of being awake in the dark is a revelation.:flowerforyou:

Rori: I watched part of the Macy's Parade today just to look for the girl scouts float. I didn't see it in the brief time I was able to look at the parade but I found it on line. What a great float! Congratulations to the whole organization. :flowerforyou:

Margaret: Happy Birthday!!!!! And Happy Thanksgiving, too. :bigsmile:

Mary: Hilarious turkey cartoons. Thanks! :laugh:

Pip: I love the photo of your dog under the Christmas Tree. :heart:

Barbie: Congratulations on a great Thanksgiving! :smiley:

Happy Thanksgiving to all. I'm having a good time with DSIL and the family. :heart:

Katla in Beautiful NW Oregon

Tibetan proverb: "The secret to living well and long is: Eat half, walk double, laugh triple and love without measure..."
  • cityjaneLondon
    cityjaneLondon Posts: 12,365 Member
    Options
    Rori - Your previous link didn't work for me, but inspired by Katla, I found the Girl Scout float on line. Brilliant! I shed a little tear.
    My experience with the Girl Guides (as we called it then) was less than inspiring, but that's another story and a long time ago. ;)

Lots of love, Heather UK xxxxxxx
  • lhannon062709
    lhannon062709 Posts: 1,140 Member
    Options
    Morning, all... Got here about 2 p.m. yesterday, safe and sound...had a lovely, raucous time playing with grandbabies. Today is the feast day at our daughter's, so last night was baking rolls and a pie with her, and my DH baking a cheesecake for our son-in-law, which he specifically requested, as the only one he will eat. Happy, joyous place. They gave up their master suite for us for the two nights we're here. Kinda love being the elders at this point. :blush: Sounds like most survived the Turkey Day just fine...

Love y'all!
    Lisa... temporarily in Missouri, heading back to West Texas tomorrow