WOMEN AGES 50+ FOR NOVEMBER 2016

Options

Replies

• GRITSandSLUTSandWINOS
    GRITSandSLUTSandWINOS Posts: 2,573 Member
    Options
    Kate – When I had my jeans altered (by a tailor), he took them up in the inside of the jeans, so it would not mess up the pockets and studs; but, he wasn’t able to do them when I dropped another size. My sewing machine is pretty fickle; and, I will break a needle if I try to do anything with a thick hem or seam in it, every time.

Not to start a political issue, you can PM this to me; but, what is BREXIT and how does it affect people on that side of the ‘pond’?

My oldest niece will be 50 tomorrow (Thanksgiving Day). I need to go on CaringBridge.org to find out if anything has been posted about DBnL’s condition.

Gloria – Congrats on getting the job.

Cheri – I do write the same thing … “She’s got a ‘good’ heart”. She is an example of someone I ‘love’ (or should since she is DDnL#1) … but, I do not really like her as a person. Very divisive among others and likes to be the ‘victim’. Well, hell … there I go again, got to write it down (again).

Michele – As of the 15th with a ‘few’ exceptions because I had no other choice.
    “Cortana” is on my taskbar on my computers. I’m not sure exactly when it come there, I don’t remember putting it there; but, I do use Windows 10, it might be a search engine for it. I love it because ‘if’’ someone posts something that is common where they live but “Greek” to me and I do not have to close out of something in order to get to it. It has a ‘big’ O Ask me anything with a microphone on the other end of the bar. I think I can even go to it to watch movies and stuff on it.

Sharon – I had a former HS classmate of mine, commit suicide. At her memorial service, the preacher talked about all the good thing she did, for her church, her family, missing her husband, and touching on so much of her life. He said that when a person commits suicide, there isn’t really a ‘good reason’ for it most of the time’. She had suffered severely from depression. Was quite shy, popular in HS, had moved back to our hometown, after losing her husband, having an operation on her head that affected one side of her face (almost like she had had a stroke), it took her hearing out of that ear, her house was flooded and she lost most everything. Had a CPA license, got a job and the first day she had a grand mal seizure. Needless to say, she had to give that up because of a 6-month state mandatory driving restriction. Seemed like she had been handling life after that pretty well. A couple who were friend, took her to the beach, her brother was getting married that weekend, and the following week she was to fly to California to spend a week with another one of our HS friends; but, she drove into the woods behind her house and shot herself. Which isn’t normally the way a woman commit suicide – they usually go the route of overdosing on pills.

You’re right that the family left behind suffer because they don’t understand why (or why they did not come talk to them, or somebody).

They had a “Hatchimal” on The Today Show either yesterday or today; Matt Lauwer was holding it trying to warm it up so it would hatch. Sounds like a mess and a lot of goobly-glock just for a toy that will end up sitting on a shelf or worse, on the floor in the line of traffic.

Lisa – I’m not sure how I would feel about that length of a time in a car driving somewhere (with 6 more hours to go on Thanksgiving Day). They just showed the gridlock in L.A. (traffic stopped basically) as far as you could see. Looked like road were decorated in Christmas Lights (red and white ones). I’d rather live out in the boonies like I do right now than to live anywhere ‘in town’. Went to Albany this afternoon, to get medicine, a few groceries, and gas. My Lawzy Mercy where do these people stay and why are they out on the road today?
    Our DYS worked and lived in TX somewhere; and, when we got to the TX/LA line, we were not even ½ there! It takes 2 days just to go from one end of TX to the other. Any direction.

NYKAREN – My DH ‘softly’ snores. I can ‘snore’ in ANY position. Sleep with a C-pap, really makes a huge difference; but, if I turn over and dislodges he mask, I will wake him up ‘snoring’ and he will push gently at me and say, ‘your mask is off’!

Lenora
  • pipcd34
    pipcd34 Posts: 16,730 Member
    Options
    stats for the day:
    ride hm 2 gym- 12.02min, 14.6amph, 142mhr, 2.9mi= 85c
    SPIN- 40min, 85r, 96w, 10-15g, 147mhr, 10.7mi = 261c
    ride gym 2 dome- 6.47min, 12.7amph, 149amhr, 1.4mi = 46c
    run station 2 wk 4.22min, 9.38ap, 135mhr, .4mi = 53c
    walk wk 2 sta-4.36min, 9.56ap, 145mhr, .4mi = 51c
    ride dome 2 hm- 19.39min, 147mhr, 2.5mi = 175c, rain n wind.
    total cal 671
  • Marcelynh
    Marcelynh Posts: 974 Member
    Options
    I'm getting off easy tomorrow. I am making potatoes and a salad. Everything else is being provided by my kids. Ahhhh, it's a wonderful life. :)

Happy Thanksgiving to all the US folks. Happy 24th of November for everyone else. :)

Marcelyn
    with a sore shoulder today.... recovery of rotator cuff surgery is not a linear process.

• csofled
    csofled Posts: 3,022 Member
    Options
    GodMomKim wrote: »
    Hi Gals,
    Looks like I have a gardening break until Monday morning… which my body will appreciate, but I’ll miss the calorie burn. I got the bath tub delivered placed it and filled it – do you know a cast iron bath tub is 250lbs… yes I had a hand truck and help, but… I did my share and there are a ton of muscles talking to me… then I shoved dirt, moved wood chips and rock to make it look perfect, BUT silly me forgot to take a picture… I will on Monday ! promise.
    Kim from N. California

Kim I love putting "alternative containers" in my gardens. Looking forward to a pic!

Cheri
  • Annr
    Annr Posts: 2,765 Member
    Options
    Michele in NC~Are you referring to my sons' little devils food cake mini loaves I made for his birthday? Well I bought 2 cans worth of milk chocolate frosting, one my husband used on some lonely graham crackers, and the other is still in the fridge. What I did was just put all the cooled mini loaves and some cupcakes, and put them in a plastic baggie on the counter. Then whoever wished one come heat it a bit and frost it. My youngest son as never been a fan of frosting, crazy kid!

Katla in Beautiful NW Oregon~Safe traveling my friend!

Joyce, Indiana~ Averting my eyes was all I ever did in Japan, some of the cities had communal bathrooms. You gotta do what you gotta do sometimes!

Kim from N. California I have named you "Earth Goddess". You are so in touch with the world, it smiles when it sees you coming! So about all the 18 people with different political views, make a sign that says, "To Aid in proper digestion of all these great foods, no Politics shall be discussed in this house". Stick to it! If they bring it up in ANY way, have a jar like a swear jar, and they have to put a $1 in!!! Warn them as they take off their coats!

Becca
    Happy Thanksgiving to all of you. My favorite ladies of the world!
  • barbiecat
    barbiecat Posts: 16,993 Member
    Options
    :) I got up really early this morning so I'd have time to walk the dogs and still be able to watch my recording of the finale of DWTS before going to line dance class. I had to see it before class because I knew everyone would be talking about it and I wanted to know who won. It was so much fun to finally be able to dance with everyone and several people said it felt really good to have me dancing with them again. We have been dancing together for years and we feel like family. While I was dancing, Jake was home sweeping, mopping, and vacuuming in anticipation of company coming for dinner on Thursday. He also invited two more people.

<3 Barbie from beautiful NW Washington
  • GRITSandSLUTSandWINOS
    GRITSandSLUTSandWINOS Posts: 2,573 Member
    Options
    I am thankful that I am not having to cook tomorrow and can enjoy the food and sit around and just 'be' there. I'm not so sure that we won't be 'sitting in our car' to eat. I can't imagine nearly 30 people in a small double-wide with very little 'flat area' to put anything down. LOL!
  • fanncy0626
    fanncy0626 Posts: 7,152 Member
    Options
    <3
  • Annr
    Annr Posts: 2,765 Member
    Options
    Kim from N. California one alternative container (for the teenagers or young adults) is to go to a thrift store and get the largest heels with open toes you can find. Put some drain holes in the bottom with an electric drill, and then moss. I have always wanted to do a bunch all shiny snazzy lined up by a back door with flowers, or hen & chicks, or herbs. Also I have a friend that has a "fence" made out of old bikes all lined up in a row. She has flowers spilling out of the baskets of each one. So colorful if you paint them a bright color!
    Becca
    wishing for a sunny day here in
    Noah's Arc type weather on the coast of Oregon
  • sherryminch
    sherryminch Posts: 168 Member
    Options
    Hey now....

Can't stay long...more problems with neighbors here...ended up in verbal argument with the guy on the corner after he made a snide comment about me walking with two canes...he ended up pulling a gun on me (very mentally unstable man who has at least one gun)...called the police, he stashed it before they got here, they searched his trailer and found NOTHING! Manager came down while police were here, police told her they didn't find anything, she turned on me saying I was lieing and sided with him! Now I am considered a "troublemaker". This happened yesterday morning....I am moving again in a day or two, have application in with a different and much nicer park south of Portland which is farther south than i really want to be but oh well(sent them pics of my motorhome since they have an age limit on the rigs they let in that park, they like my rig so filled out application). I am scared and feel very unsafe here.

Yesterday I tripped and fell...hurt my back even worse than it was, landed on my right hip and caught myself with my right hand and hurt my right wrist. Tried to get out of bed and almost couldn't this morning so went to emergency room...they doped me up and sent me away with a scrip for morphine. Have appt with primary care on Friday for follow up. My spine really hurts bad now in more places than it did before. Will find out Friday how much damage I did when they take x-rays. Now have brace on my wrist and I am right handed, ugh.

Gloria - congrats on the job hun! I am so happy for you!

I will post a pic of Missy once I get moved. She is so sensitive, she stresses when I stress. Poor kitty, I hate to see her freaked out like this.

OK, I better go...I need to keep an eye out on my car and such, I don't trust ANYONE here. I didn't sleep a wink last night and probably won't tonight either, or any night until I can get out of here. The police told me that I moved into the worst park in Portland and that I should really think about moving out quickly. I am taking their advice. They told me some of the horror stories about this place. I should have NEVER moved in here!

Hope everybody has a wonderful holiday with friends and family. Will try to post tomorrow. Good night all.

Sherry in "soon to be out of" Portland
  • GodMomKim
    GodMomKim Posts: 3,659 Member
    Options
    Oh Sherry!!! sending hugs! Can you ask the police about the park you are looking at before you move! take care of yourself! I know here you can park in front of a friend for 2 days - could you move back to your old neighborhood for a few days, and park your rig in front of a friend's house? If you lived in CA you could drop anchor here for a few days.
    Kim
  • dreamwriter
    dreamwriter Posts: 610 Member
    Options
    Happy Thanksgiving all.

Thank you for all the thoughts and prayers. I am hoping that coming here will help Ryan and Holly to continue to heal. We are looking forward to them, their family (including Rocky and Ruby) coming in December. I am hoping to be semi-organized so that I can really concentrate on time with them.

Again, Happy Thanksgiving. I hope you all enjoy.

Sharon in Lethbridge, Alberta
  • GodMomKim
    GodMomKim Posts: 3,659 Member
    Options
    Becca - Earth Goddess awe shucks.... ;) I do love it, and wish I could do the bike idea, but I think I'll get grief for the tub - I'm using the beg forgiveness not ask permission system! This is a pretty stuffy employer. but I do think the idea that it will help the strawberries do better will help. The goal is not "pretty" but education in a formal way - which is opposed to the idea of gardening. And at this point my goal is to slowly get pretty in small areas and maximize the harvestable areas I want the garden to generate a large quantity of food so I can start to support the kitchen.. instead of just the education arm. That will make the garden begin to pay for itself on paper, lower the $$$ out for food is something the accountant can understand.

Kim
  • cityjaneLondon
    cityjaneLondon Posts: 12,370 Member
    Options
    Got to get going for the viewing. Get exercises done and a quick tidy. :o

Love you all so much and will be thinking of you today. <3 Have a good day, however you do it.

I am THANKFUL that I have you in my life.

114039mahn7qxbjj.jpg

Heather UK xxxxxxx
  • KetoneKaren
    KetoneKaren Posts: 6,411 Member
    Options
    Heather I'm thankful I have you in my life, as well.

Happy Thanksgiving, my sisters! May it be a wonderful day for everyone!

cranberry-sauce.gif

Love this emoticon of canned cranberry sauce. You either love it or you hate it!

Karen in Virginia, ostensibly where the first Thanksgiving occurred although some would disagree
  • spikeyhair
    spikeyhair Posts: 2,078 Member
    Options
    Lenoratried to PM you but there was some problem will try later

Kate UK
  • cityjaneLondon
    cityjaneLondon Posts: 12,370 Member
    Options
    Karen VA - <3

Well folks, our viewing was cancelled at 9.08 am while we were finishing up on the machines. Grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr! The viewer is sick. She hopes to come on Monday now. Have to be philosophical, but it was a huge amount of work and upheaval for nothing.

I will remember to be thankful. :laugh:

Heather, relaxing in Hampshire UK
  • lhannon062709
    lhannon062709 Posts: 1,140 Member
    Options
    Morning, all... Happy Thanksgiving!

Eleven hours in the car yesterday, other than a couple short breaks, and it's taking its toll. Six more hours today, as we're kind of going the long way... It's nearly 4 a.m., will have to get the DH up at 6 to have a fighting chance to get to the DD's by 1 p.m.

But, we don't have to worry too much about when we get there, as the big turkey dinner thing isn't until tomorrow. It WAS scheduled for Saturday, 'til she found out we'd be leaving Saturday morning! Love that girl, but she does tend to shove holidays around willy-nilly... So, now everything's scheduled for Friday, because that's when we'll be there. Kind of feel guilty. But not so much.

I seldom drink, not for any big moral reason, just never fond of the taste of alcohol, and usually rate it as too many calories for something that doesn't appeal to me that much. Last night, had a glass of wine at the hotel restaurant before dinner, ate about ten bites of dinner while drinking another glass and then one more glass after. Was pretty darn tipsy by the time we hit the room. My last memory of the night was my husband laughing, so I must not have done anything too stupid. Slept like a baby, seven hours all told. Feel very rested, no hangover at all. I think I have committed a sin, though. Oh, not for drinking it. I asked them to mix their house pinot noir and house moscato. Ended up with something very drinkable (obviously). Like Goldilocks, one was too sweet, the other too dry, but together, they were just right! Any wine lover would plotz. :)

The countryside is... beautiful. The southwestern part of Arkansas is very economically depressed, and you can tell it... but as you head up the Arkansas River Valley, you get a sense of things improving as you move further north. So lovely to see fall color on the mountains. And mountains. And rivers. And trees. And grass without sticker burrs. Miss them all in our current desert home.

Love y'all...
    Lisa (temporarily in Arkansas)
  • spikeyhair
    spikeyhair Posts: 2,078 Member
    Options
    Lenoratried to PM you again no joy but without being political BREXIT is the name that was coined to mean the UK exit from the European Union. We had a referendum and voted to leave

Off to my 1918 Club lunch today roast dinner and dessert (but I do count it and was extra good yesterday) not sure who the speaker is but usually interesting

Have a great day

Kate UK <3