WOMEN AGES 50+ FOR NOVEMBER 2016

Options

Replies

• margaretturk
    margaretturk Posts: 5,070 Member
    Options
    Got my exercise today. Spent the morning putting chicken wire around our bushes to keep off the rabbits. We got about an inch of wet slushy snow. I shoveled that around our hedge. Again in hopes of deterring the rabbits.
  • Annr
    Annr Posts: 2,765 Member
    Options
    Becca - I make bacon in the oven also 400 degrees for about 15 minutes. Martha Stewart says if you want really crispy bacon put a rack in your pan and lay the bacon on that. My mom used to flour her bacon before she baked it and it was delicious and always crisp.

OK really am going to bed now

I might try putting brown sugar on bacon like I have heard. Sheesh bacon is so evil, good but evil... lol! ((hugs)))
    Becca
  • spikeyhair
    spikeyhair Posts: 2,078 Member
    Options
    Hi all
    Lenora yes even though we are part of EU we in Britain still need our passport to go to Spain etc because we are not part of Schengren but people in Europe can travel freely between countries.

Glo I have had to alter loads of stuff only problem is jeans because they have those silly metal studs. Great news about your job

Kate UK
  • Annr
    Annr Posts: 2,765 Member
    Options
    Glo~Congrats on the job!!!

Sherry~ Thanks for the heads up about working at Walmart. I am not really keen in getting a job quite yet. A lot of lost years taking care of husband, its nice to see him healthy. I don't want to miss moments. I used to work with a company called "Fresh & Easy Neighborhood Market" which was a USA change from "Tesco" a UK grocery store change. They have no overtime policy, yet there were times when I as their primary baker had to stay and finish my job. In the end I just clocked out, then continued until I got my jobs done. No one else to do it, until the next baker came the next day. Like I would leave pans in the sink until then. Also I had to pull the frozen materials out to lay on the trays in the freezer for the next days work. And I was in charge of the new items that came on a certain day. That involved moving boxes around in my freezer to make room for the 7' x 3' pallet of new items. Some days I was taking stuff out of the ovens, moving boxes, packaging items, it was really chaotic! I kept saying, "I am too old to do this *kitten*!" Oh and don't EVEN get me started with moving all the pallets of turkeys, and ice to get to MY stuff in the freezer.... I did get my exercise though....

Tonight I am making biscuits and gravy for husband... Yes I spoil the man. But after all that oven bacon making I have the grease! I will probably have a biscuit with some honey, no ladles of gravy for me!

Rainy rainy day today.... So gray and dismal... It's curl up with something hot and a good book kind of day...
    Becca
    Literature Lady of
    coastal Oregon

• skuehn48
    skuehn48 Posts: 2,853 Member
    Options
    Hello all: Gloomy day today but I put the horses out in the back pasture anyway. The first thing my girl did was lay down and roll in the wet grass, better than mud. I was disappointed this morning when I got to the YM and the pool was closed. Don't know why. I walked on the treadmill for a while and then found out we could use the spa so put on my suit and went in and did some exercises in there. I am only responsible for ham and potatoes for Thanksgiving, others are bringing the rest.

Re - I like your description of holiday food substances. It reminds me of pasteurized processed cheese food that my DH loves and insists is the real thing.

Gloria - Congratulations on the new job. Good luck getting everything ready.

Katla - Travel safely tomorrow.

Lisa - Love the chili kid!

Margaret - Hope the search for a new refrigerator goes well but this is not a bad time of year for extra exercise.

Sending healing angels to those who need them and congratulations to those with victories. Sue in WA
  • IremiaRe
    IremiaRe Posts: 801 Member
    Options
    I just got the call and am starting work next Monday! Have a lot to get done now since I have to get after school daycare set up!

WHOOT!! Yay, Gloria!!
  • csofled
    csofled Posts: 3,022 Member
    Options
    Congrats Gloria!!!! <3
  • csofled
    csofled Posts: 3,022 Member
    Options
    Cheri – The hardest part is writing down ‘something’ positive. Quite often the only sentence I can think of ‘she has a good heart’. She means ‘right’ … it just doesn’t always come off as that. Lenora

I would be writing the exact same thing! I once asked "Can you love someone but not really like them as a person?"

Thanks for understanding!

Cheri
    in wet and windy CS, TX
  • lhannon062709
    lhannon062709 Posts: 1,140 Member
    Options
    Congrats, Glo! So pleased for you!
  • janetr7476
    janetr7476 Posts: 4,001 Member
    Options
    Lisa, who could resist a face like that? Doesn't seem possible this can be the same baby we saw pictures of, what seems like only a few months ago. Enjoy your visit <3

Janetr okc
  • Poerava14
    Poerava14 Posts: 1,065 Member
    Options
    Gloria: Bravo! Hope the job is a great fit.

Rori
    Colorado Foothills where it snowed today, and it's now heading east
  • pipcd34
    pipcd34 Posts: 16,606 Member
    Options
    stats for the day:
    Ride hm 2 gym- 14.07min, 12.6amph, 147mhr, 2.9mi= 86c
    TREADMILL walk/JOG- 41.57Min, 13.32ap, 0-4incl, 4.2-5.0sp, 155mhr, 1mi no incl, 2nd mi 2incl, last 1.1mi 4incl 5k = 337c
    ride gym 2 dome- 7.06min, 12.3amph, 143mhr, 1.4mi = 49c
    run station 2 wk 4.06min, 9.03ap, 159mhr, .4mi = 52c
    walk wk 2 sta- 4.20min, 9.27ap, 144mhr, .4mi = 61c
    ride dome 2 hm- 18.19min, 8.4amph, 151mhr, 2.5mi = 180c
    total cal 765
  • exermom
    exermom Posts: 6,366 Member
    Options
    janetr - your daughter is absolutely lovely

pip - kirby and the kids are adorable

Lisa - how cute

Gloria - I'm keeping my fingers, legs, and everything else possible crossed for you. Update: BIG BIG CONGRATS!!!!!!! Inhale...exhale...inhale....exhale

Lenora - are you back to driving??? You know? I've never used the Cortina. I don't even know how to go about it

Becca - did you also decorate the cakes?

I've been going to this crochet group at AC Moore lately. I just may finish the Christmas placemats I started around 12 years ago. Don't know why, but I have so much trouble working in the round.

Tomorrow ceramics. Finished the tree stump. Vince just needs to glue the pelicans onto the stump. I'm sure that won't get to being done until after the holidays. Just too much going on right now.

Michele in NC
  • suebdew
    suebdew Posts: 1,330 Member
    Options
    Gloria - so glad you got the job. Hope it is everything you hoped for.
    Cheri - love the picture of your large family. Looks like everyone is having a good tim, especially
    our DAd.
    Barbie - so happy hat you got in to the PT. Every day you will get stronger.
    Going up to DS for Thanksgiving. He is on call but hopefully will make it homedor dinner.
    My wish is for each of you to enjoy your family and friends this Thanksgiving.
    SueBDew in TX
  • Katla49
    Katla49 Posts: 10,385 Member
    Options
    JanetR: Your daughter looks great! :bigsmile:

Pip: What a nice memory! Great Christmassy photo of Kirby & the dogs. :heart:

Lisa: Drive safe and have a great trip. :smiley:

Gloria: Congrats on the new job!!! :heart: :flowerforyou:

We are travelling to DSIL's place for Thanksgiving. It is a nine hour drive, give or take. We will leave home late enough to avoid as much morning Portland traffic as we can, and head east. We're taking pies and a cake as our contribution to the feast.

Katla in Beautiful NW Oregon

Tibetan proverb: "The secret to living well and long is: Eat half, walk double, laugh triple and love without measure..."

November Resolutions :
    1. Log every bite and swallow.
    2. Cardio exercise at least 3 days a week. Work on flexibility and back strength.
    3. Have fun every day.
    4. Drink at least three glasses of water daily, preferably more!
    5. Monitor sleep. Try to average 7 or more hours of sleep nightly.
  • pipcd34
    pipcd34 Posts: 16,606 Member
    Options
  • DamitJanit
    DamitJanit Posts: 1,329 Member
    Options
    Gloria, congratulations-smiley-emoticon.gif.

I got a ton done today so think Thanksgiving should be a snap. Tomorrow I have a check up at the doctor and then to Hammericks to return something. I'm off to bed and wishing you all "Sweet Dreams".sleep-in-bed.gif

Love you all, <3
    DJ
    Myrtle Beach, SC
  • jmkmomm
    jmkmomm Posts: 3,247 Member
    Options
    I can't remember who gave the suggestions of the auto body shop painting the fridge. I wish I could give you mine but that would just mean that Charlie would have to make another decision to buy something else.

Janetr, what a beautiful daughter. I know you must be very proud of what she has done.

Went to Home Depot tonight to look at their bathroom vanities. Poor Charlie, he found other vanities that he loves but would have to put out a little more money, about $100 more. But it looks so much more sophisticated. But he really likes it. I will call the contractor tomorrow to see if he can get it on his contractor discount.That might make the big difference.

Had a busy and painful day. My sister had an appointment at her pain clinic for her spinal injection. They do it so different than the pain clinic my daughter goes to. There, she has an IV, heart monitor and IV sedation. Her ride, me, must sign that they will stay in the lobby the whole time of the procedure, they wheel her out to the car. Now for Michelle, they can go home in a cab if they have no ride. Oh, Norma's pain is much better controlled than Michelle's. But I sat there for about 3 hours, I believe they are tring to drum up business since the chairs are so uncomfortable. My back hurt and I was so tired. I told Charlie I was going to go shopping after I dropped her off at home. Only two places. I went to Jo-Annes to get some glue dots. I had never heard of them but we will use them for some of out Christmas crafts with the little ones to keep them busy and make us some memories. You use them instead of a glue gun. We are also going to paint their hands and then put their hands around a clear glass ornament.The kids won't be painting at all. We are in control of the paint. But Jo-Annes is a huge store and very few people to ask where in the world these things are. From there I went to Barnes and Nobles to buy a book for Ellie to finish her birthday which we will celebrate Thanksgiving. Barnes and Nobles is two story but if you put it all down on one story it's as big as Jo-Annes. There you can't find help either. So I walk all around the age group books. My eyes aren't what they used to be! So I finally found them but they are right off the floor.So I have to sit on the ground to pick the book I want. at times when I am tired enough I have to crawl to get to a surface I can pull myself up. Luckily I was able to get up since the only man around was some one with his kids looking for Winnie the Poo books. after supper we had to go to Sams to pick up medicine. Charlie left me out at the door and parked then came in. Well after I showed my ID to picked up my meds I told Charlie he had to finsh the transaction because I had to RUSH to the bathroom. I was going to poop in my pants if I didn't get their. Well just my luck they were cleaning the women's restroom and the only thing for women was the single stall family bathroom. The men's bathroom sounded quiet so I ran in there yelling that a female was coming in and did my job. I had no idea whether I was along when I left so I yelled the same thing. Uh oh, man at urinal!!!!! I just averted my eyes and left! But I didn't poop in my pants.

So all the house cleaning I was planning on doing today didn't get done. So here I am as usual rushing around on the day before the big day cleaning like crazy.

Joyce, Indiana
  • janetr7476
    janetr7476 Posts: 4,001 Member
    Options
    Thank you my friends for your kind words regarding my oldest daughter, Megan. This is the one that earned her bachelor degree in Accounting last May. This coming May she will receive her Masters, she will then sit for her CPA. She has done all of this while working full-time and maintaining a 3.83 GPA. Yep, I'm a proud Mama :)

Her oldest daughter (my granddaughter) is turning 21 on Friday. They are flying to Vegas for the weekend to celebrate.

Janetr okc
  • GodMomKim
    GodMomKim Posts: 3,640 Member
    Options
    Hi Gals,
    Marcelyn – that is SO funny!!! I am going to suggest a white elephant gift thing at Christmas just so I can buy this for it.

Jesuschar- welcome

Katla – if you can move the rosemary to a cooler spot (garage?) for times when you are not home it will be happier longer.

Joyce – I am so glad to hear you are getting the first (maybe) bit of remodeling done.

Potatoes – so I have to share, I, like many of you enjoy sweet potatoes baked in their jackets with just a bit of butter, or mashed, but no need for marshmallow fluff… however I end up different places for my holidays – and the friends I am going to for Thanksgiving this year is a place I end up every few years… and I never each the sweet potatoes – in fact they think I don’t like sweet potatoes (shhh don’t tell) but they do them with marshmallows, maple syrup and candied pecans.. which is bad enough, but they use the chocolate marshmallows! They are awful!!!

Gloria – what instrument does DGS#1 not practice?

Becca – I always cook my bacon in the oven since I found it has less calories, if you do it in a broiler pan (or in pan with sides and a cooling rack in it… just keep the bacon above so the fat drains…. Anyway I cook it at about 320 and while it takes quite a bit of time, it does get crispy

Janetr – hip hip hooray for your daughter! Beautiful

Lisa – loved the pic.

Gloria – YEAH!!! Congrats !

Well, how earthy is this, I gardened for 3 hours this morning picking a TON of cheery tomatoes which I have in the dehydrator, I also picked a mixture of greens to do a quick sauté with bacon and caramelized onions for Thanksgiving, I came home and chopped kindling so have a fire going –

Tomorrow the bath tub will be delivered to do the strawberries in… I have work to do to get it ready, there will be some painting and drilling of drainage holes… but I am excited. Then Thursday, part of Friday and Saturday off!!! I am a bit nervous of Thanksgiving – there will be 18 there and we have one family very pro one of the 2 main political parties, one very pro the other main party and one a very strong communist – that one is always a challenge for the rest of us, but this could be difficult, if it was at my house I’d make a no political talk rule, but I am a guest… I’ll just go do dishes if it gets crazy.

November Goals:

Write Christmas letter, and have all cards ready to send by Dec1…
    Read and report on a book
    Log everyday to the best I can, over if need be.
    11,000 + steps everyday
    Work on water consumption -

Smiles.

Kim from N. California