Welcome to Debate Club! Please be aware that this is a space for respectful debate, and that your ideas will be challenged here. Please remember to critique the argument, not the author.

CICO is not the whole equation

Options

Replies

• NatureOfMan
    NatureOfMan Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    For the most part CICO works. Using CICO can transform someone from being overweight to someone being healthy, however anyone who believe CICO is the be all and end all needs to up their knowledge on how hormones in the body operate.
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options
    WinoGelato wrote: »
    lemurcat12 wrote: »
    I think the perception that kids go wild when fed sugar is the thing that's been shown not to be true but caused by pre-conceived ideas (people are looking for it, so see it in behavior that would happen anyway) or encourage it by saying "oh, you are going to be hyper now since you've had sugar" or some such. When neither the parents nor kids knew they had sugar it didn't happen/wasn't seen..

There's also a component to it that the events in which children are likely to consume quite a bit of sugar in a short amount of time, be hyper and then crash later are events like birthday parties where kids are jumping on bounce houses, running around with their friends, and in general more stimulated than normal. People blame the sugar in the cake and ice cream but in actuality, the kids would likely act the same and then crash later even if the party served string cheese, pretzels and veggies.

Anecdotal: I have been to many "added sugar free" birthday parties where the children were just as hyper and excited as "regular" birthday parties. It's just what lots of kids do during exciting and novel situations.
  • GaleHawkins
    GaleHawkins Posts: 8,160 Member
    Options
    psuLemon wrote: »
    For the most part CICO works. Using CICO can transform someone from being overweight to someone being healthy, however anyone who believe CICO is the be all and end all needs to up their knowledge on how hormones in the body operate.

If you believe that, then you dont know actually understand CICO is. Its an energy balance equation. Hormones effect metabolism and other factors which fall into CICO.

I think this is the main thing people who complain about CICO don't understand. Things like health issues, TEF, etc. are still part of the CICO equation. The number MFP spits out for you might not work for you, but that doesn't mean CICO doesn't work for you. It just means you don't know all of the variables in the equation.

I agree. CICO cannot be wrong. However in no way does it explain Why we tend to overeat.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,535 Member
    Options
    CICO is the equation for weight loss/gain/maintenance. It's not disputed by the science community. Where people get confused is when health issues or predispostion enter the equation.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png
  • GaleHawkins
    GaleHawkins Posts: 8,160 Member
    Options
    3bambi3 wrote: »

If you believe that, then you dont know actually understand CICO is. Its an energy balance equation. Hormones effect metabolism and other factors which fall into CICO.

I think this is the main thing people who complain about CICO don't understand. Things like health issues, TEF, etc. are still part of the CICO equation. The number MFP spits out for you might not work for you, but that doesn't mean CICO doesn't work for you. It just means you don't know all of the variables in the equation.

I agree. CICO cannot be wrong. However in no way does it explain Why we tend to overeat.

Because food is delicious and abundant in a large part of the world.

But that fact doesn't make CICO wrong.
  • ILiftHeavyAcrylics
    ILiftHeavyAcrylics Posts: 27,732 Member
    edited January 2017
    Options

Nor is it designed to do so.

This observation is like saying that understanding how a car works doesn't explain why someone would want to drive to a Nickleback concert.

I laughed.

Anyway, agreed. It's the same as saying "eat less move more." Yes, it's true. But people still get frustrated by it because it doesn't address the reasons why they eat more and move less. That's a separate, albeit related, conversation.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options

And no one has ever said it does, since it is not an explanation of that by its nature.

Of course, why we overeat is easy to understand and requires no explanation.
  • Timshel_
    Timshel_ Posts: 22,841 Member
    Options

This observation is like saying that understanding how a car works doesn't explain why someone would want to drive to a Nickleback concert.

lol.

I think a better analogy is blaming a math equation for why you can't do math.

• lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options

Heh, beat me to it and MUCH funnier also.
  • snickerscharlie
    snickerscharlie Posts: 8,578 Member
    Options

It is in no way intended to.