Welcome to Debate Club! Please be aware that this is a space for respectful debate, and that your ideas will be challenged here. Please remember to critique the argument, not the author.

CICO is not the whole equation

Options

Replies

• lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    edited January 2017
    Options
    I think a lot of people who talk about sugar withdrawals are actually experiencing caffeine withdrawal. I see it often on this site that new people stop taking sugar/sweet creamers/Starbucks syrupy drinks in their coffee and/or stop drinking soda of any kind (because evil sugar and evil aspartame so all soda is off limits). They then complain of sugar withdrawals when in fact it's the caffeine in coffee and/or soda.

Of course this is just theory, never being a big consumer of salt or sugar myself. I did give up coffee once though and certainly had withdrawals then.

This is consistent with what I've seen on this site. And I too can mostly take or leave sugar (other than in fruit or veg, of course) and never added it to drinks or enjoyed sugary drinks as an adult,* but know from personal experience that caffeine withdrawal is a thing. I've cut out added sugar for fun and giggles, or as an experiment and for other reasons, and it was easy and unremarkable (and I added it back in smaller amounts, or really more controlled amounts, since before I'd alternate not eating it much at all with periods where I'd eat it much more because I ate snacky stuff at work and the stuff at work was often sweet (but my eating it wasn't due to that)).

Another thing I wonder about is the suggestion that dieting=eating lots of small meals. For me that makes me unsatisfied and hungrier, and it's certainly possible people are making that change and blaming cutting out sugar or some such. And I do think a lot of people emotionally eat and many probably focus mostly on sugary foods (again for reasons more based on palatability and how we think of it vs. physical reasons). It's difficult to really separate out these things. (I emotionally eat which is why I cut out added sugar for a period, but found it was more about controlling timing and why I ate than what I ate.)

*I do wonder how much childhood eating plays a role in all this, as I ate sweet things as a kid and was never particularly deprived of them or anything -- we certainly weren't the family not allowed sweets -- but I didn't enjoy sugary cereals and, more to the point, we drank koolaid in the summers as younger kids but not really much pop as we were older (rare treat, associated with McD's--also a rare treat--mostly), and most meals were pretty balanced with an after school snack but not tons of sweet stuff. Candy itself was something I mainly recall eating around Halloween and cake at birthday parties. Cookies, sure, but a cookie, not a bunch.
  • vikinglander
    vikinglander Posts: 1,547 Member
    Options
    Those who maintain that only calorie deficit matters often are actually saying the same thing you are in different words. I think these threads are often full of misunderstandings and miscommunications. The only difference is the way people look at certain foods.

Weight loss as a mechanism is a function of calories, and is purely that. This argument is often presented when someone claims that somehow the body can create energy out of thin air if you don't/do eat certain foods. This argument is a very specific reply to a very specific claim. It's meant to describe a mechanism, not a diet.

When it comes to dieting, of course we aren't just energy engines. We have other biological and psychological needs that go beyond storing and burning calories. Even the most avid CICO advocates will agree with you that eating all of your calories in low nutrition foods is 1) a recipe for nutrient deficiency and 2) a recipe for diet adherence fails due to hunger. You will never see anyone advocating that strawman living exclusively on soda. The CICO crowd may actually be the first people to point out the importance of nutrient rich foods. So we're all basically on the same page, but it's lost in misunderstandings.

Where paths do diverge is the way certain groups look at certain foods. One group may eliminate foods or nutrients because they are harmful and a poison and absolutely should not be eaten regardless of the rest of your diet, another group may limit them allowing "treats" because these damaging foods are not as damaging if not eaten as often or if the majority of your intake is healthy, and a third group may limit the amount or frequency of certain foods simply because they don't fit as neatly into their calorie budget or don't work well with their individual hunger patterns without explicit judgement calls and generalizations, so foods are not judged outside of the context of the diet as a whole. It's that third group that often miscommunicates its ideas as "nothing but calories matter" and is often the one misunderstood as saying "eat nothing but candy all day", and sometimes when people advocate eating healthfully they are misunderstood as saying "CICO does not apply".

Everyone is basically saying the same thing: for a healthy and sustainable diet eat reasonable amounts of the foods you like, focusing on nutritious foods and foods that fill you up.

@amusedmonkey, thank you the voice of reason, and a well-formed analysis of the debate that seems to rage on and on here on MFP, to the point that I am sick of it. I will be using these five paragraphs in the future, that is, if I have permission to quote you!
  • amusedmonkey
    amusedmonkey Posts: 10,330 Member
    Options
    Those who maintain that only calorie deficit matters often are actually saying the same thing you are in different words. I think these threads are often full of misunderstandings and miscommunications. The only difference is the way people look at certain foods.

Weight loss as a mechanism is a function of calories, and is purely that. This argument is often presented when someone claims that somehow the body can create energy out of thin air if you don't/do eat certain foods. This argument is a very specific reply to a very specific claim. It's meant to describe a mechanism, not a diet.

When it comes to dieting, of course we aren't just energy engines. We have other biological and psychological needs that go beyond storing and burning calories. Even the most avid CICO advocates will agree with you that eating all of your calories in low nutrition foods is 1) a recipe for nutrient deficiency and 2) a recipe for diet adherence fails due to hunger. You will never see anyone advocating that strawman living exclusively on soda. The CICO crowd may actually be the first people to point out the importance of nutrient rich foods. So we're all basically on the same page, but it's lost in misunderstandings.

Where paths do diverge is the way certain groups look at certain foods. One group may eliminate foods or nutrients because they are harmful and a poison and absolutely should not be eaten regardless of the rest of your diet, another group may limit them allowing "treats" because these damaging foods are not as damaging if not eaten as often or if the majority of your intake is healthy, and a third group may limit the amount or frequency of certain foods simply because they don't fit as neatly into their calorie budget or don't work well with their individual hunger patterns without explicit judgement calls and generalizations, so foods are not judged outside of the context of the diet as a whole. It's that third group that often miscommunicates its ideas as "nothing but calories matter" and is often the one misunderstood as saying "eat nothing but candy all day", and sometimes when people advocate eating healthfully they are misunderstood as saying "CICO does not apply".

Everyone is basically saying the same thing: for a healthy and sustainable diet eat reasonable amounts of the foods you like, focusing on nutritious foods and foods that fill you up.

@amusedmonkey, thank you the voice of reason, and a well-formed analysis of the debate that seems to rage on and on here on MFP, to the point that I am sick of it. I will be using these five paragraphs in the future, that is, if I have permission to quote you!

Feel free to use anything I write as you please, but I doubt it would put an end to the debate. Some topics will always remain hot buttons.
  • nvmomketo
    nvmomketo Posts: 12,019 Member
    Options
    psuLemon wrote: »
    I think a lot of people who talk about sugar withdrawals are actually experiencing caffeine withdrawal. I see it often on this site that new people stop taking sugar/sweet creamers/Starbucks syrupy drinks in their coffee and/or stop drinking soda of any kind (because evil sugar and evil aspartame so all soda is off limits). They then complain of sugar withdrawals when in fact it's the caffeine in coffee and/or soda.

Of course this is just theory, never being a big consumer of salt or sugar myself. I did give up coffee once though and certainly had withdrawals then.

It could also be electrolyte depletion depending on how many carbs are cut. Its a very common thing with going low carb.

Ah yes, very true.

Also about what lemurcat says that it could be more of an emotional withdrawal. I went on holiday last year and indulged in rather large amounts of sugar laden treats and drinks. I had absolutely no issue whatsoever coming back and pretty much going cold turkey just due to usual natural way of eating. No withdrawal whatsoever.

I think there can be some physical withdrawal to some foods, although I do agree that a large portion of sugar-withdrawal might be electrolyte imbalance.

Years ago I needed to go gluten free due to celica disease. I started eating a lot of treats and baked goods to make of for the feeling of loss I had. But wow. To this day I still remember the withdrawal migraine it triggered. It lasted about a week. Worst migraine, in terms of pain level, I've ever experienced.
  • CharlieBeansmomTracey
    CharlieBeansmomTracey Posts: 7,682 Member
    Options
    nvmomketo wrote: »
    I found this interesting about sugar-http://hyperphysics.phy-astr.gsu.edu/hbase/Organic/sugar.html and gallowmere I love spree candy. I guess those of use who eat high amounts of carbs and sugar should be dead. including my hubby who went through 2-4lb bags of sugar in less than 2 weeks just for coffee, that is not counting his candy,cookies,soda. no one baked with that sugar,he consumed over 7lbs of it himself(some he spilled lol) . hes not obese, his heart is good,hes in good health as well. if anyone should be dead its him if sugar is that bad for you. Im not even joking I wish I were I told him he had a problem lol
    Wow... That's about 4 lbs of sugar per week (in just coffee). I was curious and googled. There is 1755kcal in a pound of sugar. That's 7020 kcal per week or about 1000 kcal per day... in sugar. There's 4 calories of sugar per gram. 4 g of sugar per teaspoon. That's 250 g of sugar per day, or over 60 teaspoons of sugar. Is that right? :o

Does he have a glucometre? Is his postprandial blood glucose normal? If so, he is truly designed as a sugar burner.

I dont know if thats right or not lol he has NO sugar issues at all. as for checking his postprandial blood glucose, we dont have a meter because everytime he has been checked or had blood work done its always normal so the dr doesnt think he needs to check it as he has never had any issues,he has no symptoms of anything either. but hes always on the go. hes had all kinds of tests over the year and even a stress test and so on and they come back with flying colors. dr says hes as healthy as someone half his age. I dont get it either.I know maybe we should get one just for craps and giggles. but they arent cheap here and you have to have a script to get the test strips and stuff through insurance. cant really afford to pay out of pocket for those things.hes done this for years too. he drinks more coffee than sodas and stuff but still. a 4lb bag would last me forever as long as my daughter didnt need it to bake lol.

That's darn impressive insulin sensitivity if he is keeping his BG normal.

If you do get a BG meter, sometimes you can get them free if you buy the test strips. Up here, Alberta Canada, the test strips are the expensive part. We can get them without a prescription but it is over the counter.

I think I last bought a 1kg bag of sugar back in 2015. LOL ;)

yeah hes always active, was hyperactive as a kid but sugar doesnt seem to affect him. If I ate that much I would have a sugar rush(high)
  • Raynne413
    Raynne413 Posts: 1,527 Member
    Options
    I found this interesting about sugar-http://hyperphysics.phy-astr.gsu.edu/hbase/Organic/sugar.html and gallowmere I love spree candy. I guess those of use who eat high amounts of carbs and sugar should be dead. including my hubby who went through 2-4lb bags of sugar in less than 2 weeks just for coffee, that is not counting his candy,cookies,soda. no one baked with that sugar,he consumed over 7lbs of it himself(some he spilled lol) . hes not obese, his heart is good,hes in good health as well. if anyone should be dead its him if sugar is that bad for you. Im not even joking I wish I were I told him he had a problem lol
    Wow... That's about 4 lbs of sugar per week (in just coffee). I was curious and googled. There is 1755kcal in a pound of sugar. That's 7020 kcal per week or about 1000 kcal per day... in sugar. There's 4 calories of sugar per gram. 4 g of sugar per teaspoon. That's 250 g of sugar per day, or over 60 teaspoons of sugar. Is that right? :o

Does he have a glucometre? Is his postprandial blood glucose normal? If so, he is truly designed as a sugar burner.

I dont know if thats right or not lol he has NO sugar issues at all. as for checking his postprandial blood glucose, we dont have a meter because everytime he has been checked or had blood work done its always normal so the dr doesnt think he needs to check it as he has never had any issues,he has no symptoms of anything either. but hes always on the go. hes had all kinds of tests over the year and even a stress test and so on and they come back with flying colors. dr says hes as healthy as someone half his age. I dont get it either.I know maybe we should get one just for craps and giggles. but they arent cheap here and you have to have a script to get the test strips and stuff through insurance. cant really afford to pay out of pocket for those things.hes done this for years too. he drinks more coffee than sodas and stuff but still. a 4lb bag would last me forever as long as my daughter didnt need it to bake lol.

If you do get a BG meter, sometimes you can get them free if you buy the test strips. Up here, Alberta Canada, the test strips are the expensive part. We can get them without a prescription but it is over the counter.

yeah hes always active, was hyperactive as a kid but sugar doesnt seem to affect him. If I ate that much I would have a sugar rush(high)

I'd just have the sugar crash. :neutral::(
  • Gallowmere1984
    Gallowmere1984 Posts: 6,626 Member
    Options

My girlfriend is the same way with her coffee. She's 5'1" and weighs like 96 lbs. I don't think her weight has ever shifted more than five pounds in either direction since I met her in 2003.
  • CharlieBeansmomTracey
    Options
    Raynne413 wrote: »

yeah I would get that after the sugar rush and then feel like utter crap the next day. I eat sugar dont get me wrong but nowhere near what he does.
  • CharlieBeansmomTracey
    Options

My girlfriend is the same way with her coffee. She's 5'1" and weighs like 96 lbs. I don't think her weight has ever shifted more than five pounds in either direction since I met her in 2003.

I learned how to drink my coffee without sugar but man,I dont know how they do it lol
  • Gallowmere1984
    Gallowmere1984 Posts: 6,626 Member
    Options

I learned how to drink my coffee without sugar but man,I dont know how they do it lol

Neither do I. At most I can take some SF Hershey's syrup and SF Torani.
  • ILiftHeavyAcrylics
    ILiftHeavyAcrylics Posts: 27,732 Member
    Options

yeah I would get that after the sugar rush and then feel like utter crap the next day. I eat sugar dont get me wrong but nowhere near what he does.

I have always wished I would get a sugar rush. :smiley: All I do is get really tired (if I eat an abnormal amount of sugar). My Mumm was probably thankful for that as I child. haha

Same here. I have read a few articles that posit the "sugar rush" is placebo effect. I don't have any links so I can't back that up with anything.
  • mlsh1969
    mlsh1969 Posts: 138 Member
    edited January 2017
    Options
    But instead of people on here being open-minded I see a lot of people that live to slam others. Notice - my slam was a general one - I did not pick out a person for public shaming. I have a very hard time being mean to people - I consider that weakness of mine - but at the same time I read these forms and get angry at the amt of bullying I read.

Some people actually do want to be right over anything else, even common sense. Some of these folks are know it alls, but this is the debate section so, u will get that a lot on this board. In any case, ur points are well taken by the majority of us, l think
  • amusedmonkey
    amusedmonkey Posts: 10,330 Member
    Options

I have always wished I would get a sugar rush. :smiley: All I do is get really tired (if I eat an abnormal amount of sugar). My Mumm was probably thankful for that as I child. haha

Same here. I have read a few articles that posit the "sugar rush" is placebo effect. I don't have any links so I can't back that up with anything.

Makes sense that I would be placebo. I don't get a sugar rush or a sugar crash when I eat lots of sugar. My energy is pretty stable in that regard. I've only learned about "sugar rush" on the internet so I wasn't predisposed to the placebo to start with. The only thing I knew about sugar as a kid other than it being in many tasty things was that it wasn't good for my diabetic grandmother and I felt sad for her.
  • CharlieBeansmomTracey
    Options

well I dont know what it would be then,since I dont eat a lot of extra sugar and I dont get that way any other time(not saying its not a placebo),but I have several health issues and for me my energy is always low, I have very few days where I have a decent amount of energy. caffeine does nothing for me energy wise.maybe its a rise in insulin at the time but I dont have any symptoms other than being full of energy when I eat lots of sugar(going over calories overload of sugar).some days I am tired all day long no matter how much sleep I get(no I dont have sleep apnea).I have always had low energy as an adult.I have tried everything to see if it would change,nope.I dont have any blood glucose issues,Im not diabetic.Its just odd when it happens sometimes its worse than others.but the only symptom I have is lots of energy. Then the next day I have stomach issues and feel crappy.so even if it is a placebo I will still call it my sugar rush lol.
  • ILiftHeavyAcrylics
    Options

well I dont know what it would be then,since I dont eat a lot of extra sugar and I dont get that way any other time(not saying its not a placebo),but I have several health issues and for me my energy is always low, I have very few days where I have a decent amount of energy. caffeine does nothing for me energy wise.maybe its a rise in insulin at the time but I dont have any symptoms other than being full of energy when I eat lots of sugar(going over calories overload of sugar).some days I am tired all day long no matter how much sleep I get(no I dont have sleep apnea).I have always had low energy as an adult.I have tried everything to see if it would change,nope.I dont have any blood glucose issues,Im not diabetic.Its just odd when it happens sometimes its worse than others.but the only symptom I have is lots of energy. Then the next day I have stomach issues and feel crappy.so even if it is a placebo I will still call it my sugar rush lol.

I'm not saying it is either, at least I'm not without any evidence but a vague memory of reading about it.

I have fibromyalgia/chronic fatigue and possibly some autoimmune going on, so I know what you mean about the energy. Caffeine doesn't do kitten for me either. I do find that having higher carbs helps me, but it's independent of sugar. I'm definitely not discounting your experience. For those of us with chronic illness, whatever works works. Don't mess with it.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    I think the perception that kids go wild when fed sugar is the thing that's been shown not to be true but caused by pre-conceived ideas (people are looking for it, so see it in behavior that would happen anyway) or encourage it by saying "oh, you are going to be hyper now since you've had sugar" or some such. When neither the parents nor kids knew they had sugar it didn't happen/wasn't seen.

I personally do find that I want sugar or quick carbs (could be starchy stuff or sometimes extra juicy fruit like pineapple or a peach for me) when tired/low energy. If I tell myself it's just lack of sleep and go for coffee it's fine, but cravings are more common, so I do think my body is seeking quick energy. If I go for it with food it lasts for a bit and wears off, so I end up wanting to eat and going up and down all day. NOT giving into that has made my energy more stable (even though my sleep is still mediocre). It's certainly possible that people have different physical reactions to sugar/fast carbs, though -- in fact I think people do.
  • ILiftHeavyAcrylics
    edited January 2017
    Options
    lemurcat12 wrote: »
    I think the perception that kids go wild when fed sugar is the thing that's been shown not to be true but caused by pre-conceived ideas (people are looking for it, so see it in behavior that would happen anyway) or encourage it by saying "oh, you are going to be hyper now since you've had sugar" or some such. When neither the parents nor kids knew they had sugar it didn't happen/wasn't seen.

That's basically what the article said. I'll have to see if I can dig it up. I *think* it was on ScienceBasedMedicine.org, but I'm not 100% sure.

edited to add: Nope! But when I searched that site for "sugar rush" an article on placebo effect came up, which made me laugh. But it's not the article I was hunting.
    I personally do find that I want sugar or quick carbs (could be starchy stuff or sometimes extra juicy fruit like pineapple or a peach for me) when tired/low energy. If I tell myself it's just lack of sleep and go for coffee it's fine, but cravings are more common, so I do think my body is seeking quick energy. If I go for it with food it lasts for a bit and wears off, so I end up wanting to eat and going up and down all day. NOT giving into that has made my energy more stable (even though my sleep is still mediocre). It's certainly possible that people have different physical reactions to sugar/fast carbs, though -- in fact I think people do.

I find this to be true also. But I don't know if my body is craving carbs or if I just want them because I don't feel good and they're comfort food to me. I also find that I have less willpower when tired, and those two things are not a good combo.